Author Topic: Giving up 2021 workout plans?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: Giving up 2021 workout plans?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 20:25:52 »
I started a couple of months ago. Very excited to see the six pack return and some muscle growth. I gave all of my gym equipment to my children years ago so I had to replace a lot. I made a rack and poured concrete weights because of the supply shortage caused by the gym closures. Already had a bunch of dumbbells laying around. Being retired gives me time to prioritize my health and fitness. I plan on exploiting the SSA for the next 40 years.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 20:36:37 »
I started a couple of months ago. Very excited to see the six pack return and some muscle growth. I gave all of my gym equipment to my children years ago so I had to replace a lot. I made a rack and poured concrete weights because of the supply shortage caused by the gym closures. Already had a bunch of dumbbells laying around. Being retired gives me time to prioritize my health and fitness. I plan on exploiting the SSA for the next 40 years.

Become mountain man.  Pandemic pr00f.

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:27:23 »
still has not given up on my 2020 plans :) although i can't say i am that far in, lock-down allowed me to lose a bunch of weight and since then i just maintain... and since i am at a desk job and our boss forbid remote work (illegal here, but what can you do), i think it will be that for the foreseeable future.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 00:11:50 »
Not going back to the gym until I get my second vaccine shot.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 01:35:23 »
never went to a proper gym, i made my own small home "gym" i do not have much yet in it though, some weights to lift, one of those elastic band with 2 handles and a gym mat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 07:32:02 »
never went to a proper gym, i made my own small home "gym" i do not have much yet in it though, some weights to lift, one of those elastic band with 2 handles and a gym mat.

Let's all agree to just NEVER go back to the gym,  cuz the NEXT pandemic is gonna hit there, and we know that now.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 09:32:00 »

Let's all agree to just NEVER go back to the gym,  cuz the NEXT pandemic is gonna hit there, and we know that now.

I agree that public gyms are an easy place to be exposed to bacteria and viruses but I haven’t heard that gyms have been a significant spreader of Covid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 09:46:18 »
I agree that public gyms are an easy place to be exposed to bacteria and viruses but I haven’t heard that gyms have been a significant spreader of Covid.

Under the diaperdon nazi party,  no one looked into it.  But if restaurants where people arn't sweaty, wet and breathing hard are big spreaders,  why would gyms be different w/ even higher patron density, and shared equipment?

As always, the problem is other humans. :D

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 10:10:02 »
Can't give up if you never made plans ;)
I never lock myself into a work out routine - just set long-term goals to chip away at over multiple years.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 10:14:32 »
Been doing pilates everyday since October and I'm definitely getting stronger. Not much to show in terms of weight loss. Gonna start doing pressups and pullups cos my upper body strength is lagging the lower and I don't seem to be losing any weight.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 01:49:15 »
Been doing pilates everyday since October and I'm definitely getting stronger. Not much to show in terms of weight loss. Gonna start doing pressups and pullups cos my upper body strength is lagging the lower and I don't seem to be losing any weight.
not losing weight by just doing exercise is rather normal, you lose fat weight but gain muscle weight, i have gone down 2 sizes in 8 months without loosing overall weight, and the doctor says that is is completely normal. i only lost weight because of being sick and unable to eat for a few weeks when the lock-downs started.
i do not recommend you to stop eating completely (i as i said, i was sick), but eating less is the way to go to actually lose weight, or eating less energetic food (like replacing half your bread/potato input with celery or salad, or other rather low energy leafs).

Offline Pandamom98

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 06:42:15 »
I definitely need to go to the gym again >.> I haven't been to one since I moved to Arkansas about a year and a half ago and gained all the weight back that I lost. I've started walking more than I do but that's really it.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 07:51:39 »
Only other exercise plans I have is getting back on a bike again to hit the trails like i used to years ago.  Also wanting to teach my son to ride as well as I know he will enjoy the freedom it holds.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 08:39:41 »
not losing weight by just doing exercise is rather normal, you lose fat weight but gain muscle weight, i have gone down 2 sizes in 8 months without loosing overall weight, and the doctor says that is is completely normal. i only lost weight because of being sick and unable to eat for a few weeks when the lock-downs started.
i do not recommend you to stop eating completely (i as i said, i was sick), but eating less is the way to go to actually lose weight, or eating less energetic food (like replacing half your bread/potato input with celery or salad, or other rather low energy leafs).

Yeah that's been my experience as well. Only managed to lose weight in the last couple of years when I was sick and then it went back on again. It's pretty annoying cos I do fast from 4pm till like 10am most days. Could cut out some more carbs certainly. Making incremental improvements to what's already a pretty healthy diet should hopefully get me there eventually. Losing the weight slow is probably better than fast anyway.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 16:19:47 »
I've been on the same 12 week program since August (?) and keep stretching it out. I can do three days per week, but I can't keep up with four days per week (one missed workout throws off the whole schedule). I'm on week 11, but my shoulder is jacked up at the moment, so I've been stuck longer than usual. At least one part of my body has to be injured at any given time. I just got over a two year old groin pull this past summer and then my shoulder pooped out.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:16:13 »
I've been on the same 12 week program since August (?) and keep stretching it out. I can do three days per week, but I can't keep up with four days per week (one missed workout throws off the whole schedule). I'm on week 11, but my shoulder is jacked up at the moment, so I've been stuck longer than usual. At least one part of my body has to be injured at any given time. I just got over a two year old groin pull this past summer and then my shoulder pooped out.
I feel bad for you. I had (have) a shoulder issue that I've had to work around for the last few months and it's a pain when it interferes with any ability to move forward. There are work-arounds though to keep from losing any gains you've made. Sometimes though, the only thing that helps is complete rest. I've had some success with isometric exercises that help correct my tendinopathy without inflaming the damaged area. I do think I'm on the mend though and am back to an almost unrestricted routine.

I'm sure that I'm a lot older than you but even in your 30's, the body is more easily injured and recovery is slower than when your 20. Best wishes

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:18:22 »
I feel bad for you. I had (have) a shoulder issue that I've had to work around for the last few months and it's a pain when it interferes with any ability to move forward. There are work-arounds though to keep from losing any gains you've made. Sometimes though, the only thing that helps is complete rest. I've had some success with isometric exercises that help correct my tendinopathy without inflaming the damaged area. I do think I'm on the mend though and am back to an almost unrestricted routine.

I'm sure that I'm a lot older than you but even in your 30's, the body is more easily injured and recovery is slower than when your 20. Best wishes

Veggies = highest quality unadulterated amino acids, for build'n dat swole.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:20:17 »

Veggies = highest quality unadulterated amino acids, for build'n dat swole.

You can't build a superior body like mine by grazing alone. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 12:31:24 »

Your superior body can no doubt be enhanced further by Plant Based Amino Acids.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 13:03:59 »

Your superior body can no doubt be enhanced further by Plant Based Amino Acids.

Certainly by the phytonutrients, but I was under the impression that most meat and dairy have all the essential amino acids and their bioavailability for human digestion and synthesis is almost perfect.

I have recently become an ardent believer in the importance of the abundance of fruits and vegetables in the human diet but I’m not convinced that removing animal products from the diet is necessary.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 18:28:20 »
meat and dairy have all the essential amino acids and their bioavailability for human digestion and synthesis is almost perfect

animal products from the diet is necessary.

Ok, so What is a protein.

We have ~10,000 different types that we know of in the human body.

All these proteins are made from 20 (22) different amino acids.

There are 9 essential amino acids, we can not synthesize them. The rest are non-essential amino acids, because we CAN synthesize, them.  The issue is, We still have to synthesize the non-essential from the 9 Essentials, or ingest them premade (from plants or animals).

That is what the protein quality/ completeness argument is built around. 

All plants contain those 9 essential aminos in varying proportionality, and  BY DESIGN, because eating very complete protein proportion/quantity accelerate cancer cell division and mobility.

Animals do not make the monomer amino acids we only recycle them FROM the plant, and True carnivores recycle it second hand from herbivores or other carnivores.

Humans are omnivorous through technology, if we were to eat raw meat like ALL true carnivores, we would too easily get sick and die. We can not maintain high acidity like true carnivores in our stomachs to kill microbes, we have some capacity to get to the 1-2 pH, but it damages our system, leading to things like acid reflux, esophageal cancer.  If we have full stomachs, we can barely maintain 3-4 pH which is not enough to safely eat raw meat.

Protein requirement as it stands today was derived from Mice. Mice is an appropriate model for many human processes but ABSOLUTELY wrong for protein requirement.

Mice reach breeding age within 5 weeks. 3 weeks after getting pregnant, a female can produce litter of 3 to 14 pups.  Think about how much protein relative to body weight that is.

Think about the human breeding cycle, 9 months, 1 baby, wait several more months before potential reload. 

Human breast milk is also among the lowest in protein of all animal milk, because we simply do not need that much of it, given how slow we grow, and how few offspring we produce per female.

All amino acids come from plants, they are not made by animals.

Offline jamster

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 20:19:58 »
Was this thread another ploy to evangelise about veganism?

Offline kurplop

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 20:24:16 »
Yes, and by that logic the plant amino acids come from sunshine, water and dirt. Should we bypass the plants and just have a glass of mud as we sun ourselves? Of course

Animals process some plants so we don’t have to. If fire is “technology” then you almost have a point but as far as I know, man has used fire since before recorded history. It’s probable that early man cooked plants as well. Many plants release nutrients that are only available when heated.

Perhaps a more empirical means of testing the herbivore/omnivore argument (at the risk of being Bidenesque) would be for me to challenge you to an arm wrestling contest at the next Keycon event.😀

Offline kurplop

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 20:25:12 »
Yes, and by that logic the plant amino acids come from sunshine, water and dirt. Should we bypass the plants and just have a glass of mud as we sun ourselves? Of course not.

Animals process some plants so we don’t have to. If fire is “technology” then you almost have a point but as far as I know, man has used fire since before recorded history. It’s probable that early man cooked plants as well. Many plants release nutrients that are only available when heated.

Perhaps a more empirical means of testing the herbivore/omnivore argument (at the risk of being Bidenesque) would be for me to challenge you to an arm wrestling contest at the next Keycon event.😀

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 20:31:55 »
Yes, and by that logic the plant amino acids come from sunshine, water and dirt. Should we bypass the plants and just have a glass of mud as we sun ourselves? Of course

Well, that's the thing, if it was the case that animal protein was easier absorbed or provided superior nutrition, then that'd be dandy.

But it's become increasingly clear that it does not,  ontop of also packing deleterious effects such as significantly increased cancer risk, + cholesterol which destroys the endothelium in your blood vessels leading to atherosclerosis.

The human digestive system is squarely herbivorous. Food spends an extremely long time in our gut, it is very long because herbivores require more time to extract calories from plants.

Animal corpses putrefy in warm / wet environment, it is ROTTING inside you.  REAL carnivores have extremely short digestive tracks for that reason, to get it out as soon as possible.

This is why the western world has such high rates of colon and bowel cancers.

Plant based athletes have also demonstrated significant improvements in both peak performance and endurance.