Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Tour Over)  (Read 105409 times)

Offline dante

Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Board in hand, tour commencing soon)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 07:40:56 »
I typed on it with SA for about a week: was awesome!

I only got to try it with POM for a short time but it was still pretty great.

Good to know! :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:55:08 »
!!!!!!!! can I be in too?
Get a real topre S. Whats the point buying a half ass comercial "gaming" topre switch made by a company that isnt solely focused on real keyboards that include an abundant amount of gimmicky features that nobody uses like stupid ass 8x repeat rate and retard media keys with cheap ass stock keycaps. This severely gimped out overpriced keyboard is worth being bought by suckers like you. Cooler master did their homework on scamming fools such as yourself. You feel for their garbo marketting scheme.

The MX stems.
you re one of this se that fell fr the low quality product with high marketting schemes

Oh so you are just a troll, noted.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 07:08:23 »
To everyone on the tour, please fill out the form I sent in PMs if you haven't already. Some people have dropped off the list btw and I'll be doing some reorganization.

In related news, I've been working 60 hour weeks for the last two weeks. This week I may work more than that. Unfortunately that means I haven't had time to swap out caps or package this board. I will post a mini-review and update when I have a moment. Apologies for the delays everyone.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:04:39 »
reason it's not in the mail today:
Show Image

BACKHOE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS, PUNY HONDA

BACKHOE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT FEELINGS, ONLY DIRT

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:06:39 »
there will be two boards in circulation, now that i have purchased a board to replace my review copy (which is MINE ALL MINE). cptbadass will be managing the circulation of both boards, and the time of entry of board #2. we don't yet have the same variety of test caps for board #2, so we'll try to arrange for that before sending it around.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:28:39 »
Thanks mkawa for adding a second board to the mix :thumb:

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 01:36:14 »
Sometimes I just wish I was still in the US ...

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 18:55:38 »
I know this is a played out excuse but this is the last week I'll have to work a 60-70 hour week. Apologies for the delays. I plan on having this board out no later than 12/6/14. Thank you all for being patient.

Offline dante

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 19:50:48 »
I look forward to reading everyones reviews :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 19:59:30 »
I know this is a played out excuse but this is the last week I'll have to work a 60-70 hour week. Apologies for the delays. I plan on having this board out no later than 12/6/14. Thank you all for being patient.
Looks like I'm gonna have to drive up and get it myself ;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 10:05:41 »
Looks like I'm gonna have to drive up and get it myself ;)

You live the same distance from me as your do from CPTbadass. Just drive up here and borrow ours.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 21:56:48 »
Too bad it's only for the CONUS. I would love to try out the topre switches and do a write up... especially since i'm going on holiday I can do a section on portability as well...
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 02:08:39 »
Curious what weight topre this is.  Would love a chance to try topre in a fuller keyboard, really like the feel of it after using a HHKB as my daily driver for awhile now.  If it's ok, please sign me up.
eh o well

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 02:26:23 »
Curious what weight topre this is.  Would love a chance to try topre in a fuller keyboard, really like the feel of it after using a HHKB as my daily driver for awhile now.  If it's ok, please sign me up.

It's 45g Topre, same as the HHKB I believe: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cooler_Master_NovaTouch_TKL

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 02:30:33 »

It's 45g Topre, same as the HHKB I believe: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cooler_Master_NovaTouch_TKL

Thanks. 
eh o well

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 06:01:22 »
Just an update this hasn't been forgotten. I'll be sending this out tomorrow. I've got to tweak the list a little to try and make a decent shipping order. I'll post a review and the updated list sometime today. Thank you for being patient everyone and I'm sincerely sorry for the delays.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 06:15:24 »
Dang this is pretty cool, wish i could get a whirl with it.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline osi

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 07:06:21 »
there will be two boards in circulation, now that i have purchased a board to replace my review copy (which is MINE ALL MINE). cptbadass will be managing the circulation of both boards, and the time of entry of board #2. we don't yet have the same variety of test caps for board #2, so we'll try to arrange for that before sending it around.

You da man kawa

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 15:00:25 »
Just an update this hasn't been forgotten. I'll be sending this out tomorrow. I've got to tweak the list a little to try and make a decent shipping order. I'll post a review and the updated list sometime today. Thank you for being patient everyone and I'm sincerely sorry for the delays.
Don't worry about it, just excited to give topre a second chance ;D

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 23:08:53 »
Ok. I've rearranged the order in the OP. The board is going out west then back east. I hope there's no hard feelings about the order :). Please send it in the order on the list. Then PM me for the address of the next person then send me the tracking number. The board will fit in a USPS board game/game board flat rate box. I'm going to put plenty of packing peanuts and foam in the box so please reuse it. The board will be sent to ComradeSniper tomorrow.

I've put the following caps on. I don't have any other PBT caps so if someone would like to add them, please let me know.

Keyboard with new caps on it

Mini Review

I didn’t really spend a lot of time typing on this keyboard so I don’t think I will do a longer review like I usually do. I’m simply going to focus on the switch feeling itself. The keyboard is minimalistic. It’s black, with a logo on the front side of the case, and has a smooth matte coating on the case top.

For me, the most important aspect of a keyboard is the switches. I’m drawn to keyboards because of their switches. Unfortunately I’m still not that into Topre switches. I’ve tried them multiple times in the past and this is my second longest period using a Topre board. My issue with the switches is that the bottom out, after the domes collapse, are very jarring to my typing style. The top of the actuation and the bump actually feel pretty nice. The switch feels smooth and the bump is pleasantly tactile. But when I bottom out, it feels like the domes collapse and I’m drumming my fingers on my desk. After 30-40 minutes of typing on this board, my fingers ache. After an hour, my hands physically hurt. This is 45g Topre and I know that I type pretty heavily. I’ve also tried 55g Topre which had the same issue. I really hate typing on keyboards which hurt my hands. These switches aren’t for me.

However, I do like the build quality and weight of the board. I think it’s as nice as the RealForce boards. I actually like it better than the HHKBs. I think that the HHKBs are very light and feel cheap.

I really look forward to reviews from people who use Topre much more than I do. I hope you enjoy the board :D.

P.S. -  Most artisan caps fit except for BroBots.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:23:43 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 23:46:39 »
Do the o-rings on the home keys actually do anything? 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 23:47:50 »

They seem to dampen some of the sound and vibration. But they don't feel like MX switches + O-rings. The bottom out isn't changed.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:01:48 »
Ok. I've rearranged the order in the OP. The board is going out west then back east. I hope there's no hard feelings about the order :).
<snip>
I don't have any other PBT caps so if someone would like to add them, please let me know.
Nope, definitely makes sense to rearrange geographically rather than sending it along randomly; I'm just excited we're all lucky enough to get in on the tour!

I should have enough Granite caps to send along on the tour as well as a set of thick blue & grey PBT (DCS) from Feng so people can try out PBT on the board.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:11:15 »
Show Image

Keyboard with new caps on it

Show Image

Show Image

What material/profile are the arrow keys?  I'm not in this tour, I'm just here to rustle feathers apparently.   :-[

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:24:54 »
What material/profile are the arrow keys?  I'm not in this tour, I'm just here to rustle feathers apparently.   :-[

You're so needy...I've fixed the picture.

Nope, definitely makes sense to rearrange geographically rather than sending it along randomly; I'm just excited we're all lucky enough to get in on the tour!

I should have enough Granite caps to send along on the tour as well as a set of thick blue & grey PBT (DCS) from Feng so people can try out PBT on the board.

Sounds good!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:27:02 »

You're so needy...I've fixed the picture.

:-[   Just trying to help...   :-*

Offline dante

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:44:45 »

They seem to dampen some of the sound and vibration. But they don't feel like MX switches + O-rings. The bottom out isn't changed.

This is going to sound crazy, stupid, and heretical all at the same time - but could the Novatouch be modified in a such a way that the travel distance is more like a scissor switch board?  For example, thicker dental bands + DSA or G80-3800 style keycaps + o-rings?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:35:10 »
I don't know dante. I'm sure it could work. But I've never thought about reducing travel because I don't like it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:37:30 by CPTBadAss »

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:40:36 »
damn, sad I dropped, haven't had a chance to try any non stock caps yet =/
Hi :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:39:34 »
Just a heads up guys, I shipped the board out today. It's not in a USPS flat rate box. You can opt to reuse the current box as long as it's in good condition or use a flat rate box. Shipping should be around $14-18.

It's in its way to comrade sniper and should arrive by Wednesday.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 15:19:21 »

This is going to sound crazy, stupid, and heretical all at the same time - but could the Novatouch be modified in a such a way that the travel distance is more like a scissor switch board?  For example, thicker dental bands + DSA or G80-3800 style keycaps + o-rings?

The answer is no.

You can, for example, insert a landing pad inside the switch. This will reduce the travel distance by 1mm, and this is the most you can do.

If you were to insert 2 landing pads, or a landing pad plus some more material that is thinner than a landing pad, you run the risk of the switch being constantly activated.

I know this because I have done it on several Topre boards. On some of them, even a 1mm landing pad was too much and I would get dead keys. This is why I have developed the technique of slimming down the landing pads with a hot clothing iron.

A Topre switch is supposed to activate at 2mm (out of the 4mm of total key travel), but there is some tolerance on this. You can't significantly reduce the travel and get away with it.

Some notes:

- You can't use O-rings inside the switch. They tend to move up and down on the lubed slider and you end up with dead keys.
- Even with an 1mm landing pad inside, you remove the switch's tactility. You are left with a linear switch that doesn't feel at all like a scissor switch.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 15:36:39 »
What if you took the sliders out and cut them down with a band saw?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 16:34:50 »
Just a heads up guys, I shipped the board out today. It's not in a USPS flat rate box. You can opt to reuse the current box as long as it's in good condition or use a flat rate box. Shipping should be around $14-18.

It's in its way to comrade sniper and should arrive by Wednesday.

Sweet! I can't wait to give it a try. I've got some cherry thin lasered PBT that I'd be happy to throw in.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 20:49:02 »
What if you took the sliders out and cut them down with a band saw?

It would either do nothing to the travel, or you would lose the "Thock".

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 21:00:00 »
Looks like it'll be a while til I get to give topre another try. Still excited though :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 06:06:47 »
ComradeSniper should have the board now. Hoping to hear back from him soon as I don't have the tracking number on me.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: CM Storm Novatouch Tour (Board Now In Motion)
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:20:52 »
It arrived today! I'm impressed so far, it reminds me a lot of a 45g Realforce. Looking forward to spending some more time with it.  :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:28:56 »
So where should these reviews be put? I feel like it might be a little odd to have the board flooded with a bunch of different novatouch reviews. Maybe one thread dedicated to just reviews that gets locked between usage?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:00:26 »

So where should these reviews be put?

I was going to have you all post here then make links in the OP list. So if you check now, my name links to my review. If people would like a seperate thread, I can make one too.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:46:42 »

I was going to have you all post here then make links in the OP list. So if you check now, my name links to my review. If people would like a seperate thread, I can make one too.

I think this works well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:42:02 »
Updated the OP with some new info. ComradeSniper was nice enough to include Cherry PBT and WYSE caps to the board....and to take some wonderful new pictures for the OP. I've redone the OP to include the new caps.

Also we discovered that the arrow keys, which feel like DCS, are actually dyesubbed PBT. I believe from the Originative description that they're from SP. I think between those Rupee caps and the WYSE caps, you'll get a good feeling as to how DCS will feel on the board.

Finally, I can't remember what the Novatouch caps are. I think they're UV printed thin ABS caps? Or laser infilled caps with a coating. I could have sworn I saw a CM rep confirm what the caps are. Can someone confirm that for me so I can update the OP?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:46:20 by CPTBadAss »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:01:14 »
I'm almost positive I remember reading they are ABS laser infilled. Not sure about the coating part though, I don't remember seeing a coating mentioned anywhere.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:03:51 »
If you look at my potatoes in the link on my name in the OP list, you can see a bit of shine around the legends indicating a coating. I believe it's supposed to help with wear and protect the legends.

Edit: Now I'm second guessing myself on that coating. Could someone with a Novatouch chime in with their thoughts. I'm going by memory and bad pictures in this thread...
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:07:47 by CPTBadAss »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 11:31:11 »

ah, that's a good idea :thumb:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:11:48 »
My week with the Novatouch is coming to a close, and I'll be shipping it out to Gameaholic tomorrow. In the meantime, here are my thoughts on it. I've never attempted to write a review before, so bear with me. I hope I didn't write too much :p

The Board
More

The board has some decent weight to it for a plastic cased TKL. My one complaint with my favorite Topre keyboard, the HHKB, is that it's so light that it feels like a toy. That's not a problem with this board. That's not to say that it's heavier than any other standard TKL, but it's certainly not flimsy feeling either. The flip out feet have rubber bits on the end, which keep it static on my desk, adding to that solid feel.

The shape of the case is a little different from the usual. The angles on the sides and back remind me a bit of a Korean Custom and add some character to the board. Also, the only writing is on the back and underside of the keyboard--out of view--giving the keyboard a sleek look overall.

The Novatouch uses a Micro USB connector as opposed to the more commonly used Mini USB. Considering the info I've seen recently regarding the greater longevity of Micro USB, I think this is a good move.

The Switches
More

I was pleased to find that the switches feel almost indistinguishable from those on a 45g Realforce. They're perfectly smooth, and bottom out with a nice "thock." I did notice that some of the keys, most notably backspace and enter, but also some others, had more of a "clack" to their bottom out. This is something I've experienced with both the Realforce 87ub and Leopold FC660C, so it's not specific to this keyboard. I don't think it's very detrimental to the overall feel, but it is somewhat odd, and I see how it could bother some people.

The Keycaps
More

The stock keycaps aren't great, but I imagine most people would purchase this board with the intent of replacing them anyway.

I've never been very fond of o-rings, but on the Novatouch I think they emphasize the muted feeling of the Topre bottom-out very nicely. I'll probably add o-rings to all the keys if I buy my own.

My favorite keycaps are probably the Cherry Doubleshots. Somewhat similar to the change in feel that the o-rings bring, the greater thickness of the doubleshots compared to the other caps makes the bottom out and tactility more pronounced. SA Profile has a similar effect, but I find the cap height to be too much for my liking.

As a sidenote, this is my first time feeling POM, and it's certainly interesting. I find it to be like a bridge between Cherry ABS and Cherry PBT, in that it's a bit more smooth than ABS, but not silky-smooth like PBT.

Conclusion
More

Altogether I'm very pleased by the Novatouch. Cooler Master did an excellent job at maintaining the great Topre feel, while adding MX compatibility and putting it all in a nice looking package. I'm quite tempted to buy one, and if a 55g version ever surfaces, I'm positive that I will.

Sidenote--I noticed that the enter key is very wobbly. I thought perhaps it was just the POM enter, so I put a Cherry PBT enter on there and it didn't change anything. It's not all that annoying and I got used to it quickly. Still strange.
More

Also, I'll be including a WYSE Doubleshot and Cherry Lasered PBT set in the box with the board. There are already a few keys from both sets on the board, but I thought I'd include the full sets just in case anyone wanted to swap out some more caps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:20:09 »
I find it to be like a bridge between Cherry ABS and Cherry PBT, in that it's a bit more smooth than ABS, but not silky-smooth like PBT.

Is this what you meant to say?  I've never heard PBT described as more smooth than ABS.

Great review, and really nice pictures.  :)   :cool:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:32:26 »
I find it to be like a bridge between Cherry ABS and Cherry PBT, in that it's a bit more smooth than ABS, but not silky-smooth like PBT.

Is this what you meant to say?  I've never heard PBT described as more smooth than ABS.

Great review, and really nice pictures.  :)   :cool:

Thanks!

Cherry PBT isn't like any other PBT I've felt, it's actually incredibly smooth. Compared to most PBT, POM is definitely much smoother.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 00:56:43 »
Excellent review comradesniper.  Awesome of you to include the wyse set in there.  I am really interested to give that a go as it is the first set I ever changed to from OEM caps on my first Ducky.  Also, this will be my first try of a Topre switch, so looking forward to that. It will be interesting to see what everyone prefers before it gets to me.

Thanks again for setting this up CPT  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 03:27:32 »
My week with the Novatouch is coming to a close, and I'll be shipping it out to Gameaholic tomorrow. In the meantime, here are my thoughts on it. I've never attempted to write a review before, so bear with me. I hope I didn't write too much :p

The Board
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The board has some decent weight to it for a plastic cased TKL. My one complaint with my favorite Topre keyboard, the HHKB, is that it's so light that it feels like a toy. That's not a problem with this board. That's not to say that it's heavier than any other standard TKL, but it's certainly not flimsy feeling either. The flip out feet have rubber bits on the end, which keep it static on my desk, adding to that solid feel.

The shape of the case is a little different from the usual. The angles on the sides and back remind me a bit of a Korean Custom and add some character to the board. Also, the only writing is on the back and underside of the keyboard--out of view--giving the keyboard a sleek look overall.

The Novatouch uses a Micro USB connector as opposed to the more commonly used Mini USB. Considering the info I've seen recently regarding the greater longevity of Micro USB, I think this is a good move.

The Switches
More
Show Image

I was pleased to find that the switches feel almost indistinguishable from those on a 45g Realforce. They're perfectly smooth, and bottom out with a nice "thock." I did notice that some of the keys, most notably backspace and enter, but also some others, had more of a "clack" to their bottom out. This is something I've experienced with both the Realforce 87ub and Leopold FC660C, so it's not specific to this keyboard. I don't think it's very detrimental to the overall feel, but it is somewhat odd, and I see how it could bother some people.

The Keycaps
More
Show Image

Show Image

The stock keycaps aren't great, but I imagine most people would purchase this board with the intent of replacing them anyway.

I've never been very fond of o-rings, but on the Novatouch I think they emphasize the muted feeling of the Topre bottom-out very nicely. I'll probably add o-rings to all the keys if I buy my own.

My favorite keycaps are probably the Cherry Doubleshots. Somewhat similar to the change in feel that the o-rings bring, the greater thickness of the doubleshots compared to the other caps makes the bottom out and tactility more pronounced. SA Profile has a similar effect, but I find the cap height to be too much for my liking.

As a sidenote, this is my first time feeling POM, and it's certainly interesting. I find it to be like a bridge between Cherry ABS and Cherry PBT, in that it's a bit more smooth than ABS, but not silky-smooth like PBT.

Conclusion
More
Show Image

Show Image

Altogether I'm very pleased by the Novatouch. Cooler Master did an excellent job at maintaining the great Topre feel, while adding MX compatibility and putting it all in a nice looking package. I'm quite tempted to buy one, and if a 55g version ever surfaces, I'm positive that I will.

Sidenote--I noticed that the enter key is very wobbly. I thought perhaps it was just the POM enter, so I put a Cherry PBT enter on there and it didn't change anything. It's not all that annoying and I got used to it quickly. Still strange.
More
Show Image

Show Image

Also, I'll be including a WYSE Doubleshot and Cherry Lasered PBT set in the box with the board. There are already a few keys from both sets on the board, but I thought I'd include the full sets just in case anyone wanted to swap out some more caps.
Interesting review. I thinking more about getting a NT than RF now.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 04:47:12 »
I'm surprised you haven't done reviews before. Nice work!  You should review more boards!   :)