Author Topic: [IC] 65% Model F – Open Group Build  (Read 6560 times)

Offline wcass

[IC] 65% Model F – Open Group Build
« on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 10:49:40 »
Easy ISO/ANSI left Shift and Enter conversion. 3d printed case.
https://imgur.com/a/aLfioa9
227692-0

Offline nguyenhimself

Re: [IC] 65% Model F – Open Group Build
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 11:04:44 »
You will sell everything, from case and PCB to switches and even keycaps?
Tip: It seems you've done some prototype works already. Why not put those sketches and photos in this thread and not under another page? Let people know where you're at.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 11:06:31 by nguyenhimself »

Offline wcass

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 13:11:46 »
The project will supply case, controller, pad card, nuts and bolts. You will need to source a micro USB cable and switches (vintage IBM or Ellipse). You can use either XT (pin) or AT/122 (buttress) type barrels. If you already have one of those boards that you don't use - this project may be for you.

The layout uses three 1.75u caps - the "caps lock" position, right "Shift", and right "Ctrl". All three are available (un-stepped) from Ellipse. Unicomp standard printing offers blank, "Ctrl", and i think "lock" symbol only too. Unicomp custom prints are another option. The "small" spacebar would come from Unicomp. Might include some of those caps depending on interest.

Offline Banzai

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 14:55:06 »
I'm really into the idea of a 65% form factor keyboard that uses Model F style switches. If this comes to fruition, would there be any reason the reproduction bumpers, flippers, and springs from modelfkeyboards.com/store wouldn't work with it?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 15:01:56 by Banzai »

Offline wcass

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 16:01:34 »
modelfkeyboards.com = Ellipse (that is his userID here on Geekhack), so yes, key caps, barrels, flippers and springs from modelfkeyboards.com will work with this - except for the "small" spacebar this uses. Unicomp is the only maker of that currently. The 1.75 wide caps that Ellipse has are non-stepped. I prefer the stepped versions for this specific design as they make the arrow cluster easy to find by feel.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 16:22:44 »
So close... I would love to see this as a 75%.

(I'll be following this thread closely, nevertheless... it's not like I don't have a dead XT stored for exactly this kind of project)

Offline wcass

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 19:39:34 »
The project will be 100% open and open source, so anyone can take what works with this and apply it to other projects. See what does and doesn't work while it is happening.

Additional discussions about the design, suppliers, costs, and lessons learned also available on DT.https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22861
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 19:46:37 by wcass »