Author Topic: Flipped Space  (Read 20397 times)

Offline PQStarLord

Re: Flipped Space
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 05:46:05 »
I tried flipping and it felt ridiculous.  I presume it must have something to do with wrist position on the desk?

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 06:50:53 »
I tried it too, because i thought that it would feel better. Man was i wrong.
I think that it could be nice with keyboards that have a case with no high border around the keys (like the one on davkols picture) in case you rest your palms while typing.
However mine has a higher border and when i use my spacebar flipped while resting my palms, my thumbs keep hitting the edge of the board and that's way more annoying.
With hovering hands and flipped spacebar the angle didn't feel great either.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 11:25:18 »
"I cannot believe my own son flips his space bar. I never raised him this way. The shame."

"IT"S NOT A PHASE DAD! GET OUT OF MY ROOM I'M MAKING AN ENLIGHTENED POINT TO A STRANGER ON THIS NARUTO FORUM! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

Offline Gouty

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 09:49:55 »
Flipped spacebar makes sense due to hitting it with your thumbs, plus no legend.  I've seen a few people flip bottom row modifiers which seems silly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 21:43:27 »
Flipped spacebar makes sense due to hitting it with your thumbs, plus no legend.  I've seen a few people flip bottom row modifiers which seems silly.

I hit a non-flipped space bar with my thumb all day without any issues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 22:39:15 »

Your thumbs may be broken
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 23:41:13 »
I can understand why people want to flip the space bar on Topre profile or Signature Plastics' DCS profile because of the sharp front edge of those space bars... but Cherry profile? Really?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:12:54 »

Your thumbs may be broken

My thumbs are fine, thank you.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:17:20 »
I love flipped space on my pok3r but it just doesn't work on my filco.
Do I have to rearrange the entire costar stabilizer to get it to work?

Offline yuppie

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:30:38 »
flipped. It's the only way to fly.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline DKrause

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 17:49:09 »
Go big or go home I always say, so I flipped my whole keyboard upside down to give it a try. But now my thumbs hit numbers instead of spaces..

I'm so confused...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 21:51:36 »

If you REALLY want to, you'll have to rotate the stabiliser inserts under the space bar 180 degrees.

If you REALLY want to.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:14:03 »

If you REALLY want to, you'll have to rotate the stabiliser inserts under the space bar 180 degrees.

If you REALLY want to.

Hmm bar still catches on the switch housing, does THAT need to be flipped around as well?
How deep does flipception go?

Offline yuppie

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 23:59:12 »
no need to flip the space on DSA
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 21:47:06 »

If you REALLY want to.

Hmm bar still catches on the switch housing, does THAT need to be flipped around as well?
How deep does flipception go?

Just don't flip - keep things as the manufacturer intended :p

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 22:14:00 »
I just think flipped spacebar looks worse and keyboards are all about aesthetic imo

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
Flipped Space
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 22:35:15 »
I just think flipped spacebar looks worse and keyboards are all about aesthetic imo
I can't use my keyboard if it doesn't look nice, it's in front of me all day. 75% of keyboards for me is finding the prettiest one.

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 11:22:25 »
I personally don't like it. I tried it and didn't like how my thumb couldn't feel for the edge to rest on. Funny enough, I'm guessing this is why people flip it.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:49:46 »
My thumb feels as if it's going to slip off the spacebar when it's flipped. The edge gives it a place to rest.

When playing games, I especially rely on the edge of the spacebar to catch my thumb because I usually flick the spacebar when jumping or climbing in game rather than pressing it. I've actually found DSA to be a bit difficult to use for games because of this.

And it does look ugly to me when it's flipped.  :-X
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 14:30:26 »
PSA: NON FLIPPED SPACEBARS WILL BE ERADICATED SOON

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 15:29:22 »
^

^^

^^^

^_^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 21:46:02 »
PSA: NON FLIPPED SPACEBARS WILL BE ERADICATED SOON

I am disturbed by your lack of non-flipped space bars.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 02:52:09 »
So after 2+ years of flipping my spacebars I tried typing on a board without a flipped space and it feels terrible, I hit right between B & M and directly on the leading edge of the spacebar's top surface. I'm sure my exact space hit placement has changed a bit after flipping but at this point I don't think I could go back.

This happened to me after just a few days of flipped spacebardom. That sharp edge is just unbearable!
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:03:23 »
So after 2+ years of flipping my spacebars I tried typing on a board without a flipped space and it feels terrible, I hit right between B & M and directly on the leading edge of the spacebar's top surface. I'm sure my exact space hit placement has changed a bit after flipping but at this point I don't think I could go back.

This happened to me after just a few days of flipped spacebardom. That sharp edge is just unbearable!

What is all this talk about sharp edges?

Space bar has same profile as Ctrl/Win/Alt/Menu - don't you find they have "sharp edges" too?

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:35:23 »

Space bar has same profile as Ctrl/Win/Alt/Menu - don't you find they have "sharp edges" too?

You press them differently. It's not literally every single word.

This is my only problem with SA too. You can't flip that ****. It literally hurts to type on. :(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 02:05:00 »

I don't hit those keys with my thumb  :p
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:55:29 »

I don't hit those keys with my thumb  :p

I do!  With either thumb, depending on which side of the keyboard.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 10:45:55 »
I hit left control with my thumb but at a completely different angle (my control is immediately left of my spacebar)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 21:56:07 »
I hit left control with my thumb but at a completely different angle (my control is immediately left of my spacebar)

Sounds like a non-standard layout.

I probably hit Ctrl and Alt more edge on with a thumb while the rest of my hand (either hand, depending on the side of the keyboard) is stretching across the keyboard, in contradistinction to space which I tend to hit more on the top flat surface about 3/4 to the right.

Offline superpiya

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 05:39:49 »
I was trained to touch-type using a very old mechanical typewriter. You have to slam the keys really fast and hard so that the letter shaped lever press against the ribbon with enough force. So it really doesn't make any sense for me to flip the spacebar, so that your thumbs can rest comfortably on it. When I actually type, NONE of my fingers are resting on the keycaps, they all hover above the keycaps.

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 15:59:24 »
I can't do flipped mainly because it just looks awful ._.

Relatively indifferent to the feel. I can somewhat understand why people like a flipped space bar (more of your finger hits more of the top surface area), but I am inclined to believe that incorrect typing posture would lead to the use of a flipped space bar. Ultimately, to each their own though. I won't go so far as to say there is a 'right' or 'wrong', either.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 18:19:41 »
It's not really about your typing posture IMO, more about what angle you like to keep your thumb at. Higher up and you'd have no problems, but lower down where I like it and you start hitting the corner even if your hands are properly elevated. These effects would be exacerbated by a poor typing posture however.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 16:12:59 »
Feels great to me, It's all personal preference.  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014