Author Topic: Build Quality: KBC Poker/Noppoo Choc Mini/Filco/CM Storm Quickfire  (Read 9203 times)

Offline hamza_tm

So how do that bunch compare up against each other directly?

In terms of typing feel and build quailty

Cheers :)

(cant seem to find this info in the wiki)

fossala

Build Quality: KBC Poker/Noppoo Choc Mini/Filco/CM Storm Quickfire
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 16:18:22 »
Filco majestouch is the most solid cherry keyboard I have typed on. KBC poker was by far the worst.

Not tried the others so cannot comment.

Offline hamza_tm

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 16:29:36 »
Lol thanks

Interesting to know that about Poker :(
I had thought they were good. How would you rate it against, say a cherry g80 or one of the classic cherry boards?

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 18:08:32 »
Filco>CM quickfire>Noppoo/Poker
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline stingrae

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 18:30:59 »
Should be  Filco = CM Storm tenkeyless> Noppoo >poker (since it isn't plate mounted right?)

For other things like stock keycaps, logos and coating Filco > CM Storm tenkeyless...
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 18:56:15 »
Out of the box, the poker has a sub-par typing feel because the pcb flexes in the middle which gives the switches a very inconsistent feel.  If you take 20 minutes to take it apart and add some corrugated cardboard strips or non-conductive foam to the bottom of the case as shown in the following picture, the typing feel improves immensely.  

(Picture borrowed from REVENGE's GH review of the KBC Poker with Blue switches & PBT caps)

While I agree with the general consensus here that plate mounted boards feel superior in build quality, as far as typing feel goes, the same switches will feel different when plate mounted vs. pcb mounted, and this is where personal preference comes into play.

One last point; the weakest link of the poker in terms of build quality is the thin plastic case, but there are multiple GBs in the works for aluminum poker cases right now!

Offline hello

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 19:04:35 »
I like my poker and hope I don't run into the LED problem people are having in the thread below.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?29437-Dim-KBC-Poker-LED-s
Leopold tkl - KBC Poker X - KBC Poker X

Offline hamza_tm

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 19:11:59 »
fascinating!

I assume noppoo Choc mini doesn't suffer from the Pokers problems, what's the real defining difference someone would notice between a Noppoo and a Filco if they used both?

Offline hamza_tm

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 19:28:16 »
thanks!

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 19:37:13 »
Comparing a Filco to a Poker is like Apples to *******s. The Poker is a $80-$90 dollar board. The Filco is $160. The CM storm looks like someone threw up on it. Never owned/seen in person a Noppoo, but it having a non-standard sized spacebar is reason enough to skip over it imo.
I hate everything.

Offline irjoe

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 20:22:34 »
Quote from: Awful;575678
Comparing a Filco to a Poker is like Apples to *******s. The Poker is a $80-$90 dollar board. The Filco is $160. The CM storm looks like someone threw up on it. Never owned/seen in person a Noppoo, but it having a non-standard sized spacebar is reason enough to skip over it imo.

Is the only differences between Filco MJ2 vs. CM Storm the keycaps, ugly-ass logo/brandings/ and case coloring?

From what I understand, the board, shape, quality of everything interior and functionality remains the same as a Filco?

Offline hamza_tm

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 20:31:05 »
he only said it looks like someone threw up on it - implying the issue is with looks ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 20:34:41 »
I've had zero issues with my Pokers. I find the build quality fine. I love them to bits after replace the stock keycaps with Cherry doubleshots. As far as comparing them to Cherry G80, that is closest, but current production Cherry is not as nice. Recent ones use thinner plastic case, and have more flex and bounce but then they are much larger boards and more prone to that due to greater distance from feet to center. Vintage ones build quality is pretty close over all.
People like to rave about Filco, but they really aren't anything special. They are fine, but I feel you're paying an extra $50 for the brand name only. I haven't owned Choc mini, I find the layout irritating. I had another domes board exactly the same layout before. CMStorm is fine for the money, but if you can get a Groove87 I would get that instead. It's the same board without all of the extra branding and a less sci-fi font on the keycaps.

Offline hamza_tm

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 12:32:24 »
Kool my Storm will be arriving in the UK soon :)

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 12:36:42 »
Having used a variety of boards over a relatively short period of time, including a Poker, Noppoo and Filco.
I would say yes quality wise it goes Filco > Noppoo > Poker.
However when it comes to use, I found the differences in build quality not really matter, since I didn't think them noticeable, I currently am using a Poker, and I love it, while yes the PCB flexes a little when pulling keycaps from the centre of the board, while just typing I've found no such issues, with either reds or blues (on two different boards)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline DosDos

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 12:46:14 »
Quote from: hamza_tm;577088
Kool my Storm will be arriving in the UK soon :)

Just wondering, where did you order it from and for how much?

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 08:06:56 »
Poker feels very light, but that's part of the appeal of it to me.  It doesn't need to be a tank like some of my other plate-mounted boards, and the difference in sound feedback between my Rosewill plate-mount and the Poker with reds when bottoming out is quite pronounced.  It might vibrate a bit when the space bar is depressed, but if I ever get to modding it it's easy enough to fix with either a foam underlay or screw.

Glad I held off on the Race and Pure, since the FN layout of the Poker feels very natural to me.

Offline hamza_tm

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 April 2012, 15:40:37 »
From a guy on this forum, had it shipped to the UK.

Had to pay $26 ish shipping