Author Topic: Alps Matias Removal tool  (Read 82089 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Alps Matias Removal tool
« on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:20:55 »
Working title : Scorpion
Purpose: remove switch top on Alps/Matias

why?

someone suggested it and i have a CNC. bcredbottle

will they be for sale?... everything's for sale

128580-0

Open source model used to create what became the tool. free to use modify lean from. just credit me  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

https://grabcad.com/library/465042
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:20:23 by mrbishop »
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
Re: Alps Matias Removal tool
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:26:25 »
reserved
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:47:59 by mrbishop »
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:26:57 »
Sí.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:36:29 »
Much interested. Will you post the files afterwards?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:44:42 »
more than likely
Projects

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:16:58 »
 :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:17:32 »
Oooo I'm very interested. Yaaaassssssport

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:21:08 »
This looks cool but I'm having a hard time visualizing how big it is and how it's supposed to work.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:22:59 »
This looks cool but I'm having a hard time visualizing how big it is and how it's supposed to work.

The two pincers on the far right slip into the slits on the top and bottom of the Alps switches like you would normally have to use toothpicks for.
It's a much more elegant solution than any technique I have seen. I just hope it works well. The metal would have to be ground to form a relatively sharp edge.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:27:43 »

like the Sandy one:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=5187.0;nowap

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:29:12 »
please be advised that the picture attached is the premium ridiculously over engineered pre testing hype render. it will likely look quite abit different in the final revisions. but there will be pictures and status updates :D

switches are in route so hopefully by the end of the weekend i will have SOMETHING to show for this as well as my other projects >_> LOL
Projects

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:31:25 »

like the Sandy one:

Alright, I can picture it now. But don't you want something that can be squeezed like tweezers, to bite down on the upper housing once you get the clips pushed out of the way? This one, being metal, looks too rigid. Unless you saw a slot through to the ring in the middle. Then you could get some squeeze in there.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:31:33 »
i'm going to try and design it so that as the two sides slide along the switch it holds it and assists removing it. so a one handed single motion for use in removing the top of the switch.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:34:16 »
i'm going to try and design it so that as the two sides slide along the switch it holds it and assists removing it. so a one handed single motion for use in removing the top of the switch.
include a bump along the inner wall of the "pincers" creating additional friction so as the downward motion pushes the sides of the switch away releasing the top. the pincers also hold the top of the switch allowing the upward motion to remove it.

thats the idea anyway. may be abit of a stretch but thats what prototypes and testing is for :)
Projects

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:39:03 »
I would personally prefer a two handed motion where I separate the housing pieces with the tool and I'll out with my finger. I don't trust tools that may damage the housings since my fingers can probably do the pulling action better.

That being said, you could make a scissor mechanism which may or may not be significantly more expensive depending on the design.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:39:22 »

like the Sandy one:

Alright, I can picture it now. But don't you want something that can be squeezed like tweezers, to bite down on the upper housing once you get the clips pushed out of the way? This one, being metal, looks too rigid. Unless you saw a slot through to the ring in the middle. Then you could get some squeeze in there.

That's why the one I mocked up is designed to clip into the stem.  It should help with removal and with putting the switch back together.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:44:26 »

like the Sandy one:

That's why the one I mocked up is designed to clip into the stem.  It should help with removal and with putting the switch back together.

That's ingenious.

My boards:
More

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:44:44 »

like the Sandy one:

oh nice design! :)

feel free to dump in here if you want and we will just all make one together if you want. up to you. no worries :)
Projects

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:51:38 »
My concern with the tool being metal would be that it would have a rather high chance of marring the switch housings due to the need of a rather snug fit to open the clamps while pulling the top half of the housing.

A more flexible tool might have better luck, which could be done by CNC'ing a negative mold to make a silicon master, and casting with a tough flexible resin (like alumilite's Flex-80). Now obviously this is quite a bit more work, but it would reduce the likelihood of damage by a good deal.

3D Printing would also potentially work, but you'd need to print with a flexible resin @0.1mm or have a SLA printer to have the requisite strength at that thin a point.

Lots of good fun designing physical things!  :))

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:53:11 »
My concern with the tool being metal would be that it would have a rather high chance of marring the switch housings due to the need of a rather snug fit to open the clamps while pulling the top half of the housing.

A more flexible tool might have better luck, which could be done by CNC'ing a negative mold to make a silicon master, and casting with a tough flexible resin (like alumilite's Flex-80). Now obviously this is quite a bit more work, but it would reduce the likelihood of damage by a good deal.

3D Printing would also potentially work, but you'd need to print with a flexible resin @0.1mm or have a SLA printer to have the requisite strength at that thin a point.

Lots of good fun designing physical things!  :))

i can agree with all of that.

i'll be prototyping in acrylic but that too does not flex very much.

this will be an interesting project all around i think.
Projects

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:57:36 »
want  :thumb:
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:17:09 »
So I dont  own an Alps board. So I made one 

Next will be the extractor.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:35:58 »
I wonder how hard I would have to ask @swill to make switch holes for people with cnc's. Similar to the H hole shown above.
Projects

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:44:40 »
I wonder how hard I would have to ask @swill to make switch holes for people with cnc's. Similar to the H hole shown above.
How would I do stabilizers?

I could probably figure out costar stabs. Not sure about alps stabs.

Also, what's the diameter of the tooling usually?
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:46:16 by swill »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:50:24 »

I need to do more testing on the stabs before I speak on that. Those will be tricky.
As for the too long diameter currently my smallest bit is 3/32in but its more the inside corners that are the problem as a spinning bit can't make square inside corners.  I can get you anything you need. Just let me know
Projects

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:57:12 »

I need to do more testing on the stabs before I speak on that. Those will be tricky.
As for the too long diameter currently my smallest bit is 3/32in but its more the inside corners that are the problem as a spinning bit can't make square inside corners.  I can get you anything you need. Just let me know
I should be able to make the bit diameter dynamic, so that should be fine.

I am pretty confident that I could make costar stabs work by just putting the excess cuts on the sides instead of the ends.

I should pm @nudecnc as well to see if he would be OK with me piggybacking off some of his work. I know he put quite a bit of time into making cnc compatible switch cutouts. Maybe he would let me use his cutouts in the builder.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 19:59:45 »

I am pretty confident that I could make costar stabs work by just putting the excess cuts on the sides instead of the ends.

I should pm @nudecnc as well to see if he would be OK with me piggybacking off some of his work. I know he put quite a bit of time into making cnc compatible switch cutouts. Maybe he would let me use his cutouts in the builder.
Sounds great. Let me know if you need anything.  I'm glad to lend designs as I use your tool on a regular basis and am happy to contribute.
Projects

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 20:03:43 »

Sounds great. Let me know if you need anything.  I'm glad to lend designs as I use your tool on a regular basis and am happy to contribute.
I can just draw the outline right? Or do I need to draw the machine pathing?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 20:06:01 »
Just the outline should be fine. As long as it converts to dxf I can import it into my 3D modeling software of choice  and go to town.   
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 21:15:23 »
So after 3 revisions i feel like this prototype will work the best. its small efficient and easy to make. it works well however i give major props to anyone wanting to take these things appart. OMG so many tiny pieces that fall out of them ;D
i'm sure once soldered to a PCB they are much less annoying.

the final revision was influenced by @nubbinator 's build but i came to the realization after testing it with out the center post realizing the benefit of having the center of the switch captured. that being said i will make measurements of the design's trident open source shortly.

I would like to offer these for sale in the immediate future if anyone is interested. or just wait till i post the model and 3D print/CNC your own.

and now for the pictures
129695-0 Prototype v1 works but kinda awkward and the inner dimple is too far back.
129697-1 it works YAY proof of concept
129699-2 2 revisions later
129701-3 we shall call him the "Alps Trident" or something like that
129703-4
129705-5
129707-6
129709-7
129711-8
129713-9
129715-10

I want to say thanks to @bcredbottle for the switches. with out them this project would not have happened. and to @nubbinator for inspiration. @swill for your plate tool and GeekHack.org for making this all possible.
Projects

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 02:52:58 »
This is awesome! I need one of those, I'm planning on cleaning up an ALPS board... Could I buy one or two, please?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 05:40:34 »
Saw this on Instagram and I'm very impressed. Great job. Looking forward to grabbing some of the tools :D

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 05:45:46 »
HYPE
I WANT IT

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 07:22:50 »
Need to buy.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 08:17:18 »
😎 thanks so much everyone.

Let me figure out pricing and get this ball rolling.

I need to make a few more to really get pricing figured out.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:09:54 »
So I broke a bit today trying to cut more in mass. Pricing will be around 8 so I can donate to GH with every order.  Right now I'm only doing them in acrylic but I want to cut them in aluminum in the near future.
Projects

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:52:26 »
Definitely interested in getting the specs for this so I can have a friend at my old workplace mill one out of aluminum for me.

You know what would be really cool? Make a mold for this so you could resin-cast them with a wire key puller on the opposite end.

My boards:
More

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:55:31 »
So after 3 revisions i feel like this prototype will work the best. its small efficient and easy to make. it works well however i give major props to anyone wanting to take these things appart. OMG so many tiny pieces that fall out of them ;D
i'm sure once soldered to a PCB they are much less annoying.

the final revision was influenced by @nubbinator 's build but i came to the realization after testing it with out the center post realizing the benefit of having the center of the switch captured. that being said i will make measurements of the design's trident open source shortly.

I would like to offer these for sale in the immediate future if anyone is interested. or just wait till i post the model and 3D print/CNC your own.

and now for the pictures
(Attachment Link) Prototype v1 works but kinda awkward and the inner dimple is too far back.
(Attachment Link) it works YAY proof of concept
(Attachment Link) 2 revisions later
(Attachment Link) we shall call him the "Alps Trident" or something like that
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I want to say thanks to @bcredbottle for the switches. with out them this project would not have happened. and to @nubbinator for inspiration. @swill for your plate tool and GeekHack.org for making this all possible.

yes plz immediate future sale ty

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:21:21 »
i'll be getting a new bit Wen.

planning on a short run limited edition Aluminum parts. (no count yet)

numbered. 001-010?

will also do a small batch of acrylic. (10-20?)

going to do 8$ each plus shipping on acrylic (combined shipping OK)
3$ to GH for each sold.

Limited ed AL will be 20$ plus shipping (combined shipping OK)
5$ per part to GH

i'm a parts in hand kind of guy so i will not commit to pre orders prior to having stock (sorry its for your benefit)

after the initial batch i will Open Source this project and give it back to the community. i will continue to take orders if interest is there after that point. This is the game plan anyway.
Projects

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:58:32 »

numbered. 001-010?

3$ to GH for each sold.

5$ per part to GH

i'm a parts in hand kind of guy so i will not commit to pre orders prior to having stock (sorry its for your benefit)

after the initial batch i will Open Source this project and give it back to the community. i will continue to take orders if interest is there after that point. This is the game plan anyway.

Really want an aluminum one. And since they are limited edition, numbered, donate to geekhack (and under my budget) $20 is actually a good price. Is this with shipping?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:07:25 »

numbered. 001-010?

3$ to GH for each sold.

5$ per part to GH

Really want an aluminum one. And since they are limited edition, numbered, donate to geekhack (and under my budget) $20 is actually a good price. Is this with shipping?

no sorry all prices EXCLUDE shipping. but i ship USPS so you can get an idea of the cost. which wont be that bad. (7$ at most if i ship flat rate) i will do my best to keep shipping costs at a minimum
Projects

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:34:19 »

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 15:02:56 »

numbered. 001-010?

3$ to GH for each sold.

5$ per part to GH

no sorry all prices EXCLUDE shipping. but i ship USPS so you can get an idea of the cost. which wont be that bad. (7$ at most if i ship flat rate) i will do my best to keep shipping costs at a minimum

Still a pretty good price, when do you think the group buy will start?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 15:12:59 »

numbered. 001-010?

3$ to GH for each sold.

5$ per part to GH

hopefully in a week. i ordered a new bit and materials for the AL ones. i have some acrylic as is. so i can machine from that now, well as soon as i get the bit in.
hopefully i can start making acrylic ones mid week.
Projects

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 17:15:29 »
Needs an integrated bottle opener.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 17:33:01 »
Needs an integrated bottle opener.

i'll see what i can do ;)
Projects

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:13:45 »

numbered. 001-010?

3$ to GH for each sold.

5$ per part to GH

hopefully in a week. i ordered a new bit and materials for the AL ones. i have some acrylic as is. so i can machine from that now, well as soon as i get the bit in.
hopefully i can start making acrylic ones mid week.

Can't wait  :thumb:
Yoda grammar best has

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:37:11 »
Kinda reminds me of some sort of kinky sex toy.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 05:19:11 »
Kinda reminds me of some sort of kinky sex toy.
bruh....

Well I think you're right it looks kind of kinky sex toy

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:47:41 »
😐
Projects