Author Topic: Dactyl-ManuForm keyboard build  (Read 153581 times)

Offline ju6ju8Oo

Re: Dactyl-ManuForm keyboard build
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 21:30:59 »
Finally finished my Alps build :D
What material is this? it looks very smooth.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 22:29:06 »
Somos NeXt @ 100nm layer. It is quite smooth indeed.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 02:08:38 »
The thumb cluster seems to be optimized for 1.5u or 2u keys. Anyone modified it to be optimized for all 1u?

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 06:59:00 »
I've really small hands and I'm changing the thumb cluster to https://imgur.com/a/xxoIP
STL attached
I'll probably print this in 1 week.

Will it work? What're your thoughts?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 April 2018, 10:34:48 by ju6ju8Oo »

Offline vvp

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 11:16:04 »
Looks like switches will fit there. Just try it and you will see. If you are afraid to print it directly then try first on a modeling clay.

All manuform thumb clusters are too low relative to the keywell from my point of view. My thumbs do not extend that low easily. My natural thumb position is higher than the tip of my bent pointing finger. It is hard for me to go much lower with my thumb. Therefore Maltron/Kinesis thumb cluster shape is better for me.
But many people like them and Oobly has a nice version of it too:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48176.msg1049331#msg1049331
I can imagine using Oobly's thumb cluster but positioned a bit higher ... probably. It might need low profile switches there.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 20:40:23 »
I've removed one key, and move the other keys up.
Would the thumb cluster in my version too high?

Offline vvp

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 01:31:49 »
Put switches (with keycaps) on modeling clay and test how well it fits your hands. That is the best way to find out how the switch positions suit you.

Offline crystalhand

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 07:35:52 »
The beauty of 3d printers is the ability to iterate and improve.  I have printed more tests than I care to admit on my quest to find a solid way to mount outemu/box switch mounts for the dactyl/maniform. 

Offline vvp

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 08:22:32 »
I have printed a way too many prototypes too. But things are not that simple when one needs to pay a commercial service for each iteration.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 08:25:19 »
What's your process on using molding clays?
I'm thinking of using 5mm blocks for prototyping.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 05:08:43 »
what screws / nuts should I use?

Offline ak66666

• ThumbsUp! Keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 07:17:59 »
I've really small hands and I'm changing the thumb cluster to https://imgur.com/a/xxoIP
STL attached
I'll probably print this in 1 week.

Will it work? What're your thoughts?

Looks good, those two innermost keys in the thumbcluster are barely used anyway. Simply too far, the hand needs to be moved instead of a short twist.
Would you share the clojure file as well please?
I'd tent it a bit more, actually twice the angle, as I did in the latest copies.

Offline crystalhand

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 07:21:01 »
I have printed a way too many prototypes too. But things are not that simple when one needs to pay a commercial service for each iteration.

Who are you currently using for your prototypes?  I run a fairly small scale 3d keyboard case sidebusiness.  Hit me up if you have any interest, I am sure I can do it for cheaper than you are currently paying.

Offline vvp

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 16:02:06 »
Who are you currently using for your prototypes?
I have a 3D printer in the next room. No real need to play with modeling clay for me.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 18:26:32 »

Would you share the clojure file as well please?

Code released on https://github.com/l4u/dactyl-manuform-mini-keyboard
STL and plate (ai) can be found on https://github.com/l4u/dactyl-manuform-mini-keyboard/releases
I'm printing them, so I cannot confirm if it works or not.
There's a lot of hard coded numbers for prototyping. I've only generated 4x5.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 20:06:36 »
I'd tent it a bit more, actually twice the angle, as I did in the latest copies.
Any photos / model files?  :)

Offline ak66666

• ThumbsUp! Keyboards
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 09:11:03 »

Sure, please find them here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872180

That yellow case is the latest version.
I left a complete one at work, so no pictures until next week.

IIRC The white one in the pictures is the one generated with the default settings.
Plus it has a 6mm sole plate, so it is a bit thicker.

Offline kamegami

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 11:55:00 »
I started my own Dactyl-Manuform build. I wanted to report that the slicer Cura has a new Tree Support feature. In my testing Tree Supports work particularly well with the Dactyl-Manuform, significantly saving on filament and print time.

A single side 5x6 (tilt increased to 4) without supports is about 72g.
Grid Supports: 147g
Triangle: 148g
Lines: 116g
Tree Supports: 109g

It also saves an estimated hour in print time over the Line supports. The supports also separated in one piece with zero effort, I didn't need to bring the knippers out.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:12:58 »

IIRC The white one in the pictures is the one generated with the default settings.
How did you generate the bottom plate?

Offline ak66666

• ThumbsUp! Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:19:26 »
I get a slice of it in OpenSCAD with Projection command:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/3D_to_2D_Projection
I.e. I load the SCAD file generated by Clojure into OpenSCAD, add that Projection command if front of all other text:
projection(cut=false) translate([0,0,-0.5])
Render it, then export the resulting flat figure it to DXF format, import that file into Autodesk 360 Fusion, press/pull it to a desired thickness, add holes for the screws and foot pads (which are just 0.5 mm deep holes with flat bottoms).
Export the results into STL.
PS. Autodesk Fusion is free for the non-commercial use.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:23:02 by ak66666 »

Offline copper

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 08:05:17 »
Hello everyone!

I just registered to tell you all that I will be building my own copy of this keyboard.

I will post progress here.  So far, I have printed the 6x6 version posted by Chaotic-Entity at github.  I am missing the bottom plates, and may print them as well.  I have my own 3d printer, so that is not an issue.  I also have sheets of policarbonate that could be cut as the bottom plate, but I don't have a CNC.  Because of this, I may try to print bottom plates. 

I will be posting details as I progress.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 00:43:08 »
So I'm interested in building one of these myself. However I'd like to make some changes to the layout, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. Essentially I'd like to add an inner column, and modify the outer columns to more closely resemble the ergodox layout (somewhat like this). Seems like these changes would require more than tweaking the parameters at the top of the file. How should I go about modifying the clojure code to change the layout like this?

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 15:47:19 »
Adding an inner column should require a change in the thumb cluster position.
Adding the outer column might require some changes in key positions, and tweaks for the walls depending on how you'd want it to look like.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:22:46 »
Adding an inner column should require a change in the thumb cluster position.
Adding the outer column might require some changes in key positions, and tweaks for the walls depending on how you'd want it to look like.

Moving the thumb cluster would mean you'd have to mess with the column offsets though, right? That and the I'd like the inner column to only have 3 keys. Seems like I'd have to define a column type with 3 keys, one with 1.5 width, and only use them for the first & last columns respectively. Then add the 5th row to the outer columns by adding it to the thumb cluster (since the 5th row in the 3rd and 4th columns are actually part of the code for the thumb cluster). Then move the walls to accommodate these changes to the columns. But since I'm unfamiliar with clojure code that's as far as I've gotten. How to accomplish those things is beyond me at the moment.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 22:05:43 »
So after a good amount of messing with the clojure code, I've finished modding the layout to conform more to the ergodox. If anyone wants I can share the clojure code itself, but it's just a bodge to get it to work with this specific layout, changing the number of rows or columns would most likely break it.

Edit: noticed a small error with one of the connectors, updated the .stl file.
Edit 2: Fixed the outer 1.5u column.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 22:43:01 by Loligagger »

Offline mmmm

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 23:07:09 »

ak66666, do you have a github repo or anywhere with the code changes for your latest version? I'd love to riff on it

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 03:05:33 »
So after a good amount of messing with the clojure code, I've finished modding the layout to conform more to the ergodox. If anyone wants I can share the clojure code itself, but it's just a bodge to get it to work with this specific layout, changing the number of rows or columns would most likely break it.

Edit: noticed a small error with one of the connectors, updated the .stl file.
it would be cool if you can share the clojure code!! how did you change the spacing for the pinky columns?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 03:32:02 »
it would be cool if you can share the clojure code!! how did you change the spacing for the pinky columns?

It was a couple of things I modified to get the column to be 1.5u wide. I'll attach the clojure code so you can see for yourself. By no means are my changes to the code the best/most efficient way to do it though (far from it).
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2018, 03:37:26 by Loligagger »

Offline galorin

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 07:22:12 »
I seem to be having trouble getting the clojure to evaluate and regenerate a new set of SCAD files.  I am pulling from /abstracthat/dactyl-manuform master and with the OpenJDK it is producing errors about unmet dependencies if I remember correctly.  Before I go posting logs, is the repo working today?

Offline ak66666

• ThumbsUp! Keyboards
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 08:17:09 »

ak66666, do you have a github repo or anywhere with the code changes for your latest version? I'd love to riff on it

It is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ta8aok816smqgo5/AADhWZTSZm8MqsPJmsrqKbZIa?dl=0

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 09:38:22 »
I seem to be having trouble getting the clojure to evaluate and regenerate a new set of SCAD files.  I am pulling from /abstracthat/dactyl-manuform master and with the OpenJDK it is producing errors about unmet dependencies if I remember correctly.  Before I go posting logs, is the repo working today?

I used tshort's repo weeks ago and it was working.

Offline galorin

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 10:23:23 »
I used tshort's repo weeks ago and it was working.

Got it.  It was my environment that was the problem, plus a few lines were commented out that shouldn't have been.  I now have my own fork that is compiling just fine.

Now I just need to get my printer to cooperate.  Had two 80% print failures so far, one was a full print with a layer shift, the other was thermal runaway after a soldered connection gave in to fatigue.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 17:17:21 »
Figured I may as well post this now that I've finished the build and typing on it. I'll have to fix the 1.5u outer column though, as they're very slightly off. (Fixed now, updated the .stl file in my previous post). Not really noticeable while typing at least.

I might modify the code to make the bottom row flat with an (inverted?) T arrow cluster. But that probably won't be anytime soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:38:08 by Loligagger »

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 18:36:37 »
Looking very fine! Congratulations!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline copper

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 02:23:27 »
Work in progress...

Offline annirak

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 10:03:05 »
I started my own Dactyl-Manuform build. I wanted to report that the slicer Cura has a new Tree Support feature. In my testing Tree Supports work particularly well with the Dactyl-Manuform, significantly saving on filament and print time.

A single side 5x6 (tilt increased to 4) without supports is about 72g.
Grid Supports: 147g
Triangle: 148g
Lines: 116g
Tree Supports: 109g

It also saves an estimated hour in print time over the Line supports. The supports also separated in one piece with zero effort, I didn't need to bring the knippers out.

When I try running the 5x6 STL that's in git through Cura, with tree supports enabled, it says 210g. What settings are you using in Cura?

Offline geek128

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 19:15:32 »
what keycap profile works best with this? DSA? SA R3? or is it fine with sculpted SA, MT3 or Cherry, too?

Offline Squarism

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 00:42:48 »
I havent found any review of this/these keboards. Are you satisfied with yours? Complaints? Missing something? Angles properly chosen? Room for improvement? How does it compare to kenisis advantage? The latter having built in palm rest, do you miss that?

I've ordered stuff to be able to build one. Mainly to tackle hand stress I've felt lately. So hope it fills that purpose.

Offline Dynamo

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 22:48:35 »
Figured I may as well post this now that I've finished the build and typing on it. I'll have to fix the 1.5u outer column though, as they're very slightly off. (Fixed now, updated the .stl file in my previous post). Not really noticeable while typing at least.

I might modify the code to make the bottom row flat with an (inverted?) T arrow cluster. But that probably won't be anytime soon.

What did you think of your keyboard? Was it comfortable? I like the additional keys you put there, but I would prefer a reverse T-arrow cluster. Will you make this modification to the code? Otherwise, is it difficult to make these changes in closure? Also, was it difficult to program the keyboard? I am a total beginner in keyboard building so I have a lot to learn.

Offline Squarism

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 02:05:17 »
Found this interesting evolution of the dactyl manuform. DMOTE http://viktor.eikman.se/article/the-dmote/

I find the thumb cluster very appealing!

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 08:49:47 »
what keycap profile works best with this? DSA? SA R3? or is it fine with sculpted SA, MT3 or Cherry, too?
Granted, the "normal" dactyl has different thumb cluster, but this is what adereth said:
Quote from:
Yes, that pic [github dactyl glamour-shot] is all Row 3 SA caps, but I use fully contoured on my personal build. [...] I use R1 - R4 for the top 4 rows, then flipped R1 for the bottom. I've used both R3 and R2/R4 for the 2u keys on the thumbs and everything from R1 - R3 for the 1u keys on the thumbs. That group buy doesn't have enough 2u keys.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 15:31:22 »
What did you think of your keyboard? Was it comfortable? I like the additional keys you put there, but I would prefer a reverse T-arrow cluster. Will you make this modification to the code? Otherwise, is it difficult to make these changes in closure? Also, was it difficult to program the keyboard? I am a total beginner in keyboard building so I have a lot to learn.

I've been using it since, it's quite comfortable. I've tried putting an arrow cluster on the bottom row, but it just looks like it'd get in the way of the palm. As for the coding, I'm sure there are some good resources out there for clojure to learn from, rather than just fiddling with it like I did. The github at the start of this thread and the qmk docs are good resources for how to compile & flash the board.

Having used sculpted SA and MT3, I greatly prefer the latter. The curved columns means there's little space between the tops of keycaps with SA. MT3 caps don't get in each others way near as much. The deeper dish is nice too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2018, 15:46:08 by Loligagger »

Offline Squarism

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 01:16:29 »
Completed my build today. Im feeling hopeful it can replace my current daily driver (Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000)

Build log here. More random reflections than something helpful.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 01:23:51 by Squarism »

Offline impaktor

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 02:15:08 »
@Squarism thanks for nice write up, and congratulations on completed build!

1. Do you have a bottom plate on them, or the "guts" is held in place by the table surface?

2. What keycaps are those? DSA?

3. What switches are you using? I was planning on just regular Cherry MX Brown for my own build, as that's what I have in my Kinesis AD2. I know the keyboard expert Chyrosran hates them, and prefers Alps, but I really need silent switches (for office) with low weight (against hand pain), and MX mount (for best keycap compatibility). Advice?

4. If you're switching layout I'd advice to look into some more well developed iterations on Dvorak. If I would put in the effort of switching layout, I'd look into workman.

Offline Squarism

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 04:25:02 »
@Squarism thanks for nice write up, and congratulations on completed build!

1. Do you have a bottom plate on them, or the "guts" is held in place by the table surface?

2. What keycaps are those? DSA?

3. What switches are you using? I was planning on just regular Cherry MX Brown for my own build, as that's what I have in my Kinesis AD2. I know the keyboard expert Chyrosran hates them, and prefers Alps, but I really need silent switches (for office) with low weight (against hand pain), and MX mount (for best keycap compatibility). Advice?

4. If you're switching layout I'd advice to look into some more well developed iterations on Dvorak. If I would put in the effort of switching layout, I'd look into workman.

1. I have plates. r/crystalhand did that too. Excellent work.
2. Nope, they are XDA.
3. Kailh Silver Speed (now added this and (2) to the build log post), Not sure I went right here. They are super sensitive. I notice i do involuntary presses of other keys, pressing a distant one.
4. Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, maybe I should consider that too. As im doing 50/50 english/non english I assume neither is optimized for me. I figured Dvorak often comes preinstalled on win/linux. Being a bit more supported could give some freedom.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 04:27:01 by Squarism »

Offline impaktor

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 08:39:36 »
By the way, does anyone know the pros/cons in suitability of printing material specifically for keyboards? E.g. I've heard people prefer aluminium plates instead of steel plates, as the latter are too stiff, but this question is specifically for 3D printing materials:

Adereth used nylon for his Dactyl, I wonder why? PLA is obviously the cheapest, but is it ideal for keyboards? Anyone compared how a PETG vs. PLA vs. Nylon printed keyboard case "feels" when in use?

Offline vvp

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 14:18:40 »
I used ABS for my KATY keyboard.
I tried PLA but it is not good. It is too stiff and harder to post-process.
I did not try anything else. ABS was good enough.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 20:34:28 »
I've noticed that one of the 1u thumb caps would collide with the outer 1.5u switchplate. On the boards I've built so far I just removed a bit of material so it wouldn't hit. So I've modified the switchplate to stop the cap from hitting. I did a test print, and it seems to have done the job. The changes I made to the code were pretty minor, just adding a half "larger-plate" which didn't mirror the side bit, changing the thumb definition & the connectors to match.

Offline basie

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 02:12:08 »
Hello, and thanks for all the work from various people that went into this. I'm just starting on my build.

I noticed after I'd soldered the columns on one side (without diodes) that the original Dactl uses diodes for columns, and the D-M uses diodes for rows. Is this because of the ProMicro vs Teensy difference? I bought a Teensy in the end, so... I guess I'm wondering if I should undo the columns I've done and repeat the process using diodes instead. Or doesn't it matter?

Offline impaktor

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 03:03:35 »
Hi @basie, it shouldn't matter, as long as you wire it into the microcontroller correctly, and you reflect that in the firmware, is at least how I've understood it.

I hope the following quote helps:

"There are two options for soldering the diodes, all heading towards the
switch or all heading away from the switch. These two ways are called
“row-driven” or “column-driven” and here again it is cruciual for the
firmware and the actual wiring to be on the same page. ... I went for the
“row-driven” setup (visible by the direction of the diodes, the black line
being towards the key-switches). "
src: https://github.com/adereth/dactyl-keyboard/tree/master/guide

Please post images of your build, and share your experience.