Author Topic: One Handed QWERTY Typing  (Read 11175 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
One Handed QWERTY Typing
« on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:20:14 »
My job requires swapping my right hand from keyboard to mouse multiple times a minute... for 8 hours. I'm developing serious RSI and I'm afraid I'm going to do some permanent damage.

I've tried out literally 20+ mice and 2 of the top Trackballs --- doesn't matter.

Fortunately, all I typically need to swap for is ---

1) Numbers (have the Southpaw 65/Full size inbound soon, so left handed numpad)
2) Shorthand codes --- typically 3-6 letters at a time.

If I can come up with an efficient way of typing one handed alphanumeric codes with one hand, this would make my job incredibly less demanding on my right wrist & hand.

Suggestions?

I'm an AHK-aholic and have considered writing code for a function layer on all my keyboards which allow for other letters. Has anyone done this before?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
Re: One Handed QWERTY Typing
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:26:00 »
Would it be beneficial to have one section of the keyboard as a double layer with an embedded number pad?  My Kinesis keyboard has a number pad in the second layer on the right side of the keyboard. You can get a foot pedal to switch between the layers easily as well.  Kinesis keyboards also have built-in macros which might help your situation.... And they are more ergonomic than a standard staggered keyboard.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:27:36 »
Right. That's what I was  thinking for the rest of the right-handed letters. My Southpaw 65 keeb will be inbound shortly and that takes care of left handed numpad.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:28:02 »
Maybe something along the lines of this: https://matias.ca/halfkeyboard/

Haven't used it myself, but what you're talking about seems to be the intended use. Could probably emulate a lot of the functionality with AHK or a custom layout, if you didn't want to buy new.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:33:48 »
Maybe something along the lines of this: https://matias.ca/halfkeyboard/ Haven't used it myself, but what you're talking about seems to be the intended use. Could probably emulate a lot of the functionality with AHK or a custom layout, if you didn't want to buy new.
There we go. Easy enough to code. That keyboard works as follows: Hold Space and you get this:

Offline seva1385

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:56:58 »
I have recently been limited to one hand use for several months and experimented with Maltron one handed. Layout is its best feature. Otherwise, I did not like it, though it did help, and was an interested experience. Did not manage to touch type, had to pick.

Also tried mapping my beloved Kinesis Advantage so it could be used with one hand... possible, but I did not go that route, might still consider it in the future but not with QWERTY.
Sculpted keyboard might help your RSI by itself.

Regarding mice, which were the two trackballs you tried? Kensington, I bet? After decades of searching, I settled on CST. There is no such thing as a perfect mouse, sadly.

Have you considered foot mouse? I tried one, did not like the ease of use. I still have Mycestro finger mouse in my to-try list, but CST mostly meets my needs, now that I am using it with left hand. Very conveniently placed next to Kinesis Advantage, there is little wrist travel.

An interesting option might be chording keyboard, like the one I shamelessly used as my avatar.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:59:54 »
I'm using the CST L-Trac atm; benched the Elecom Huge.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 04:33:00 »
Macro Express or Auto Hot Key?

Is the software you're using developed in house, if so a friendly word with the developers  might help (take food with you, that always goes well). 

If it was developed by a contractor, the inefficiency  this is causing might be it's worthwhile to business to pay for some keyboard shortcuts to be added. 

Windows also has a 'snap to' feature - it can move the mouse pointer to the default button on a dialog box.  That might cut down some of the mouse usage.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline JianYang

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 05:00:10 »
Would a left hand num pad help?
It sounds like you need a trackpoint.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 20:46:02 »
Hi!
I could say I ran into the same problem, no acutally I must say "same need".
I think if I can type all alphanumeric code with just one hand, it would be more efficient to operate softwares like AutoCad, PhotoShop,...

so I come up with this:
197821-0
as you can see, normally you can type: QWERT but if you hold the blue Fn, you can type POIUY, the same apply to other keys.
the numpad is on the left, easy to reach with left hand.

using this with AutoCad: I can draw line (cmd: l, key: Fn + S), mirror (cmd: mi, key: Fn + V (m), Fn + E (i)),... all by left hand, my right hand does not need to move away from my mouse/trackball

the actual board:
197823-1
please excuse the horrendous wiring, this board works but I consider it a "failure"  :-X

Offline hoggy

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 04:16:43 »
Left handed mouse?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 07:17:24 »
Is the RSI caused mostly by mousing or typing? Does the mousing require high precision?

Have you considered a Rollermouse or trackpad in front of the keyboard?
Also, do check out vertical mice! There are several threads on the forum about it.
I use a 45° slanted "vertical" mouse, and with the mouse wheel removed so I won't use that and get an achy middle finger.

Offline Nlight

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 09:02:34 »
if you work under windows, instead of buying a whole keyboard, you can a software based solution. I'm not a fan of AHK, cause it is not low level enough to work in many situations. However, I've been really impressed with KbdEditor. You could take advantage of its feature that allows you to have a separte mapping when cap key is on to actually map the right half to the left half of your existing keyboard, and you also can map "low-level keys" like Enter, BackSpace, etc... though these keys are not then remappable with modifers . Seems cheap and effective.

If under Linux, I remember this is just a file to modify, but it's been too long since I used linux to tell you more about it.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 04:44:52 »
Have you considered a keyboard with trackpoint from IBM or better : IBM Ultranav ?
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 06:56:03 »
How bout a 60% board and a number pad.  Since I switched to the smaller board most of my wrist and shouulder pain has disappeared.  I will never use a full size board again.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline barrel

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 06:57:08 »
I would personally look around for a keyboard with a trackpoint, if you need it to be mechanical at work then ther eis the Tex Yoda, as much as I dislike the board it is extremely good for ergonomics.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 07:01:51 »
Buy this usb2usb converter https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0
to make any keyboard programmable. Great stuff. Probably my best buy ever.

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 23:08:14 »
There is a keyboard designed specifically for this if you google one handed keyboard, if you're looking for a different solution, look into either a split keyboard and use only one half of get a planck, and utilize the many layer options it can have