Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 117012 times)

Offline dante

Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:25:22 »
A softer bottoming out would be a big plus in an office environment.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:44:04 »
does anyone notice that KUL has a softer feeling on bottom out? At least compared to ducky and filco, it feels a little bit softer, and not as defined and clacky. Don't know if I prefer it or not. It definitely makes it sound softer though.

Ok, I think this is because there are no actual screws screwing the plate onto the bottom half of the case, and in a way, the plate and pcb are sandwiched between with the three screws going through the bottom half of the case and into the top (like what leopold did with their fc200). This gives a sort of "looser" feeling of the plate and pcb. Idk if it is just me, but the typing feel has a sort of hollow feel to it (the plate is not secured down, can feel vibrations through it). Not really a fan of this. I think that typing feel still has the edge on filco.

I don't think that's the reason. I haven't done enough direct comparisons between a TKL Filco and the KUL 87 to really speak to the difference in feel, and I've also not taken apart my KUL yet.

The reason I don't think that's what is causing the difference you feel is that:
- I don't feel any difference between my TKL Filcos and my 104 Filcos; and
- The 104-key Filco Majestouch-2 PCB/plate assembly is not screwed to the case bottom either

interesting. But do you indeed feel a difference in bottom out feel between the KUL and tkl filco?

Yes, it's softer, but I think that's a difference between reds/blues and clears, not the 2 boards.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline intelli78

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 17:31:18 »
I got my KUL w/ Clears today, and I have to say, the hype is deserved. It is a quality board. Does not creak or flex at all and feels very good to type on. I will post more thoughts later, but here's a quick Imgur gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/6KVhU
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 20:55:20 »
does anyone notice that KUL has a softer feeling on bottom out? At least compared to ducky and filco, it feels a little bit softer, and not as defined and clacky. Don't know if I prefer it or not. It definitely makes it sound softer though.

Ok, I think this is because there are no actual screws screwing the plate onto the bottom half of the case, and in a way, the plate and pcb are sandwiched between with the three screws going through the bottom half of the case and into the top (like what leopold did with their fc200). This gives a sort of "looser" feeling of the plate and pcb. Idk if it is just me, but the typing feel has a sort of hollow feel to it (the plate is not secured down, can feel vibrations through it). Not really a fan of this. I think that typing feel still has the edge on filco.

I don't think that's the reason. I haven't done enough direct comparisons between a TKL Filco and the KUL 87 to really speak to the difference in feel, and I've also not taken apart my KUL yet.

The reason I don't think that's what is causing the difference you feel is that:
- I don't feel any difference between my TKL Filcos and my 104 Filcos; and
- The 104-key Filco Majestouch-2 PCB/plate assembly is not screwed to the case bottom either

interesting. But do you indeed feel a difference in bottom out feel between the KUL and tkl filco?

Yes, it's softer, but I think that's a difference between reds/blues and clears, not the 2 boards.

I am comparing filco tkl browns with kul browns. The plastic of the KUL case seems to be softer as well (abs perhaps?) I know that Filco has pbt for its case.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 21:03:24 »
I know that Filco has pbt for its case.

I don't think so... as far as I know, pretty much all plastic keyboard cases are ABS, including Filco. I have no data to support that, though, could be wrong... Just never heard that before.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 21:05:41 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 22:05:12 »
I know that Filco has pbt for its case.

I don't think so... as far as I know, pretty much all plastic keyboard cases are ABS, including Filco. I have no data to support that, though, could be wrong... Just never heard that before.

I don't quite remember where I heard it from, but I recall something about majestouch 1 being abs or something else, and mj2 changed to pbt? Not entirely positive, but from touch, it definitely feels like Filco has a harder case than the KUL.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 22:07:03 »
I have always heard that Filco uses PBT on their MJ2's.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline TBone

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 22:21:54 »
Just ordered one to go with my Granite PBT Set coming in, I'll report back on how she types!  :thumb:

So excited to try a full MX Clear board.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 00:17:33 »
AWESOME REVIEW!!! I was just looking at this board on elite's site and was wondering if anybody else out there has tried it.

Well duh do_Og@n! This is GeekHack! Review was excellent and gave me the answers I was looking for.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:16:03 »
I am seriously considering getting this board to replace my Realforce 87u 55g at work. I've never tried MX Clears before but I LOVE the feel of my Filco browns. I thought the 87u 55g was going to be my end game but frankly, I'm getting a little bored with my 55g.

Is it a huge difference in feel between the MX Clears and MX Browns? I love the browns, but I'm worried about the weight. It seems I'm a little bit more partial to lighter switches because for topre, I prefer the fc660c over the RF 55g, and for MX, I prefer red and brown over blue and black.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:20:04 by nobee »
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:18:29 »
MX Clear is considerably stiffer than browns. For me it's too fatiguing to type on stock clears.

I have yet to try ergo clears, but I guess you don't wanna buy a new board just desolder all the switches and replace the springs ;)

Offline TBone

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:49:56 »
They have an mx brown on elite keyboards too though! Get that if you already like browns. I'm coming from browns going to clears so I'll let you know how it goes. :thumb:

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:38:16 »
They have an mx brown on elite keyboards too though! Get that if you already like browns. I'm coming from browns going to clears so I'll let you know how it goes. :thumb:

Yes, I was considering getting the mx brown version, but I'm still curious about clears. I think I should give clears a shot and from the sounds of it, this seems like a very good quality board with stock clears. The CODE and Leopold doesn't interest me as much which is why I never bothered to try it before.

Let me know how it feels compared to browns!
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:50:43 by nobee »
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline dante

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:50:23 »
Mechanical Keyboards.com has KUL coming in next month.  If you are on the fence and live within driving distance maybe you can stop by to satisfy your curiosity?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:54:04 »

Yes, I was considering getting the mx brown version, but I'm still curious about clears. I think I should give clears a shot and from the sounds of it, this seems like a very good quality board with stock clears. The CODE and Leopold doesn't interest me as much which is why I never bothered to try it before.

Stock clears are amazing! Some people seem to think stock clears are so heavy but I have to disagree, they feel don't feel any heavier than most rubber dome keyboards I've compared them too. I've actually considered swapping heavier springs into mine ... something like sprit's 100g springs :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dante

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:55:16 »
I think it depends on the keyboard build.  MX Clears on the Deck Frost were significantly heavier in feel than on my Keycool

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:59:52 »
I am seriously considering getting this board to replace my Realforce 87u 55g at work. I've never tried MX Clears before but I LOVE the feel of my Filco browns. I thought the 87u 55g was going to be my end game but frankly, I'm getting a little bored with my 55g.

I'll give you my KUL w/clears for it  :p

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:05:26 »
Stock clears are amazing! Some people seem to think stock clears are so heavy but I have to disagree, they feel don't feel any heavier than most rubber dome keyboards I've compared them too. I've actually considered swapping heavier springs into mine ... something like sprit's 100g springs :))

Really huh? This is making my decision a lot easier.

:eek: I might have to take you up on that offer! I'll PM you if I decide to do that. Why do you want to get rid of yours?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:16:09 »

I put some 85g #legitballin' gold springs from sprit's GB in my clears a couple days ago when I did a switch lube and plate swap for my Filco 104. I need to post some pics. The switches feel great, though. Almost like stock Clears.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:22:45 »
I put some 85g #legitballin' gold springs from sprit's GB in my clears a couple days ago when I did a switch lube and plate swap for my Filco 104. I need to post some pics. The switches feel great, though. Almost like stock Clears.

I actually ordered a pack of 85g springs from sprits current group buy because I wanted to try the same setup. Do his 85g spring feel heavier or lighter than the stock clear springs?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:47:08 »

I actually ordered a pack of 85g springs from sprits current group buy because I wanted to try the same setup. Do his 85g spring feel heavier or lighter than the stock clear springs?

They're very similar. Maybe just a slight bit heavier. I haven't done much typing with them yet, though. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:19:34 »
Do want. Love my Filco MJ2 Ninja but purchasing it in Japan wasn't exactly the best option. JIS layout makes it hard to get another set of keys for it (and labels don't match up to output on some keys in the first place).

From what I'm reading the KUL ES-87 is a Filco competitor except costs much less for a person in the US (and DIP switches as a bonus)?
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:49:37 »
Do want. Love my Filco MJ2 Ninja but purchasing it in Japan wasn't exactly the best option. JIS layout makes it hard to get another set of keys for it (and labels don't match up to output on some keys in the first place).

From what I'm reading the KUL ES-87 is a Filco competitor except costs much less for a person in the US (and DIP switches as a bonus)?

I wouldn't say it is definitely better than a filco tkl. As for me, I still prefer a Filco for typing feel, although I agree that case quality is a little better on the KUL. When typing on the KUL, I can't help but feel some hollowness and softness in the plate when typing in the center of the keyboard (y to p area).  But price and availability atm are strong points of the KUL.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:54:22 »
I wouldn't say it is definitely better than a filco tkl. As for me, I still prefer a Filco for typing feel, although I agree that case quality is a little better on the KUL. When typing on the KUL, I can't help but feel some hollowness and softness in the plate when typing in the center of the keyboard (y to p area).  But price and availability atm are strong points of the KUL.

Thanks! As for this and the CODE/WASD V2, are there any big differences? I've only been reading about the pinging on some WASD V2 boards, slightly different DIP switch functions, and case shape (the V2 profile from the side looks...unpleasant to me).
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 16:19:25 »

Thanks! As for this and the CODE/WASD V2, are there any big differences? I've only been reading about the pinging on some WASD V2 boards, slightly different DIP switch functions, and case shape (the V2 profile from the side looks...unpleasant to me).

This is built a little bit better than v2/code, and has cherry stabilizers, which you may or may not prefer, but I think that the KUL is a better board.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 18:11:55 »

Really huh? This is making my decision a lot easier.

:eek: I might have to take you up on that offer! I'll PM you if I decide to do that. Why do you want to get rid of yours?

I actually don't want to get rid of it I love it. But I tried 55g topre the day I bought it and fell in love.

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 13:21:20 »
Received my board with Clears last week. After switching over immediately from Browns I thought the weight of stock Clears might be too much - but after a couple hours of usage I really like them. (Although eventually I'd like to get one of my Filco's modded to some form of Ergo Clears! :D )

The board is solid otherwise though, and while I do like the profile of the stock caps, I need to get some doubleshots on here as I hate feeling the legends under my fingertips!

Edit: Although boy does it take some serious wiggle to get a keycap off of a Clear stem!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 June 2014, 13:25:19 by shadewolf »

Offline TBone

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 19:44:14 »
I love mine with Clears, just through on my new SP Granite PBT keycaps!! Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/v5DB9

Ask me questions!

I moved over from MX Browns and I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a Computer Science student working as a software dev this summer, but I also game a bit (mostly during the school year. I wasn't sure about going with Black vs another Brown keyboard, so I'm glad I found this keyboard!! Barebones, simple - yet many features (8 DIP switches). LED's under the keys (the glow is so sexy). An actual Menu key (with the DIP switch). No insignia (unless you want it, whoever thought of that deserves a raise).

I may get another one of these in MX-Blue Full Size if they release it. Most likely I'll grab another one it Red's when I get my Dolch Replica key set. You can consider me a KUL fan. I'm glad I got this over a Filco. This thing is a tank.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 20:59:00 »
I love mine with Clears, just through on my new SP Granite PBT keycaps!! Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/v5DB9

Ask me questions!

I moved over from MX Browns and I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a Computer Science student working as a software dev this summer, but I also game a bit (mostly during the school year. I wasn't sure about going with Black vs another Brown keyboard, so I'm glad I found this keyboard!! Barebones, simple - yet many features (8 DIP switches). LED's under the keys (the glow is so sexy). An actual Menu key (with the DIP switch). No insignia (unless you want it, whoever thought of that deserves a raise).

I may get another one of these in MX-Blue Full Size if they release it. Most likely I'll grab another one it Red's when I get my Dolch Replica key set. You can consider me a KUL fan. I'm glad I got this over a Filco. This thing is a tank.

Nice looking board! I also have MX Browns so I'm glad to hear you like the MX Clears. I'm going to put GMK Dolch on mine. Just waiting on Ivan's GB so I'll probably get to enjoy the stock keycaps for a while until those arrive.

Offline TBone

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 21:05:23 »

Ask me questions!

Nice looking board! I also have MX Browns so I'm glad to hear you like the MX Clears. I'm going to put GMK Dolch on mine. Just waiting on Ivan's GB so I'll probably get to enjoy the stock keycaps for a while until those arrive.

Nice, the stock keycaps are laser engraved. They have pretty good contrast so it should be nice while they stay clean.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:47:19 »

Ask me questions!

I'm not a big fan of DSA but that set looks really sweet on that board. These boards have a very nice look to them in pictures. Almost look like a custom with that nice set on there.

Offline TBone

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:08:27 »
I will be doing the Cherry Stabilizer Mod on this board in the next week or two, I'll report back on how it goes. Wish me luck!  :thumb:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:24:10 »
I will be doing the Cherry Stabilizer Mod on this board in the next week or two, I'll report back on how it goes. Wish me luck!  :thumb:

You're going to mod the cherry pcb mount stabs to cherry stabs? :o whyyyy?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:32:06 »

He is probably talking about clipping the stabs to remove the mushy feeling. Clipped Cherry stabs feel like Costar stabs  :thumb:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:32:36 »

He is probably talking about clipping the stabs to remove the mushy feeling. Clipped Cherry stabs feel like Costar stabs  :thumb:

ah ok, that makes sense...whew.

Offline TBone

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:59:25 »

ah ok, that makes sense...whew.

They are already Cherry Plate mounted. I am going to clip the bottoms to make them feel less mushy.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:49:21 »
This is very tempting, I can finally try clears, programmable, and it has pcb mount stabs...this is hard to pass up.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:50:30 »
It's not programmable
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:56:16 »
The dip switches for Caps Lock swap, etc. I didn't mean fully programmable, sorry.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:57:59 »
Anyone know what the led on ESC is for?

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:08:57 »

Power Mode!!! It sounds funny actually. Like your keyboard is a Transformer or something.

t=7m39s
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:13:19 by nobee »

Offline TBone

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:39:57 »

Power Mode!!! It sounds funny actually. Like your keyboard is a Transformer or something.

t=7m39s

I cannot think of a use for this though? Is it some old function for terminals or something?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 19:15:55 »
Interesting thanks guys

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 21:03:45 »
damn you eyesmiles, you hacked my wallet with your review. :p

Offline dante

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 11:27:07 »
I will have a KUL ES-87 w/ MX Reds going for cheap in the Classifieds this weekend (as soon as I can take pics)

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 09:00:21 »
Anyone tried to fit this board into an aluminum case (vortex or similar)?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 13:52:54 »
Anyone tried to fit this board into an aluminum case (vortex or similar)?

I'm PRETTY SURE (as in I tried and it didn't work but I might be dumb) it's not compatible with Filco cases, so it won't work with those

which is really unfortunate

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:54:16 »
after a month my backspace and enter keys are squeaking pretty badly

so that's a thing

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:56:09 »

so that's a thing
Squeaking huh. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:57:49 »

so that's a thing
Weird, while I don't own a KUL myself, a lot of people were having this issue with those CODE keyboards from WASD.  Is this some sort of inherent issue with clears? Or more of just a stabilizer issue in general? I know those the keyboards use different stabilizers.  Hopefully with a little bit of lube it can go back to sounding normal for you.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy