Author Topic: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Review  (Read 2812 times)

Offline shravj

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Review
« on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 20:26:18 »
Hello fellow clackers!

I just got my first mechanical keyboard today - the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX blue switches, and I thought what better way to test it out than typing up a quick review!

BUILD QUALITY

Despite its size, this keyboard is actually quite heavy and is built like a tank. The rubberized finish and minimal branding make it seem very premium. While the font on the keys are a bit off-putting, the keycaps themselves are actually pretty good and are miles better than a cheap rubber dome. The entire keyboard is very well built, and it seems a lot better than its price range. Some people say the quality is on par with Filco keyboards, which are more than double the price of a Quickfire Rapid.

KEY SWITCHES

These are what making the typing experience so different. I chose Cherry MX blues because I enjoy loud clicks and clacks, but I also needed a lighter switch. I got tired from typing on standard rubber domes which usually have an actuation force of 60-65g, whereas the Cherry MX blue switch has a 50g actuation force. The blue switch also actuates at 2mm and bottoms out at 4mm, which means that you can register a key press without having to fully press down on the keys. This can greatly help with finger strain especially after long typing sessions, and can even increase your typing speed once you figure out how much pressure you need to apply on the keys to get them to register. The tactile bump when typing is also noticeable and offers an easy way to tell whether you have hit the key or not.  I am very satisfied with my choice as I adore the sound of these keys. They are a bit high pitched but they are awesome if you appreciate the click and clack of mechanicals.

FEATURES AND TYPING EXPERIENCE

This is a pretty bear bones keyboard and does not really have any special features that I can actually use. Since it is a gaming keyboard, it does offer full N-key rollover over PS/2, but that is about it. I bought this keyboard as a better typists keyboard and not a gaming keyboard. The typing experience is nothing short of sublime. I just love typing on this thing and I am sure I will never want to go back to rubber domes. Mechanical key switches, regardless of type, simply offer a superior typing experience compared to rubber domes. There is a special sense of satisfaction that one gets from typing on a mechanical keyboard, and you won't understand it until you try one.

ACESSORIES AND FINAL THOUGHTS

The keyboard comes with a plastic key puller, a braided detachable micro-USB cable, and arrow key replacements for WASD keys and two Windows key replacements that have the CoolerMaster logo on them. The extra keys are nice, however I have no use for them at the moment and the braided USB cable is nice but almost unnecessarily long. To wrap it up, the Quickfire Rapid by CM Storm is a fantastic keyboard. I was able to get mine for $76 from NothingButSavings.com with free shipping and no tax, which is a bargain for a keyboard of this quality. Sure, you can get a mechanical for less, but only with Cherry MX knockoffs that have unproven longterm reliability. Instead, just save up a little more and invest in a keyboard like the Quickfire Rapid. I feel like this keyboard may just outlast my MacBook, which is quite a thing to say considering how durable and reliable MacBooks are. If you want to up your keyboard game but do not want to drop $100+, the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid is probably your best choice. Genuine Cherry MX switches, superb build quality, and a sub $100 price tag make this one of the best mechanicals you can buy.

http://i.imgur.com/YsXVgSP.jpg

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 14:57:41 by shravj »
Quickfire Rapid - MX Blues | Logitech Performance MX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 21:42:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Great first post :)

Where's the pictures? :p

My QFR is still going strong, although it gets rotated out quite often, still I've had no issues with it at all in several years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline shravj

Re: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Review
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 22:28:47 »
I'll add some pictures in tomorrow.
Quickfire Rapid - MX Blues | Logitech Performance MX