Author Topic: Sinklist : STN ( Switch Try Numpad ) open for participants.  (Read 35494 times)

Offline Mr. Perfect

Sinklist : STN ( Switch Try Numpad ) open for participants.
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 20 February 2011, 13:48:12 »
Quote from: whiteweazel21;298138
Perfect, I'm guessing you don't game that much. My double tap is like lightning lol, out of 20 double taps I'd say the blues only registered both keys 9 times, slightly under 50% of the time. I don't think this is something you'd experience as much with typing, because you rarely double tap a key. I can still see a potential typing problem when trying to hover over a key, say typing a word with two of the same letters which does not require you to move your hand. In this case, in order to type the word as fast as possible, you would try to actuate the key once, hover over the actuation point, and actuate again, possibly causing a problem with the second letter registering. Sure, you can avoid this by releasing the switch completely or conclusively above the actuation point, but that creates delay, as well as uncertainty (which is ironic because the whole point of tactility is to know when you are above, below and at the actuation point, and use this feedback to your advantage), and an uneccesary change of key pressing style. Maybe if you don't game, or don't take gaming seriously, if you can't notice the problem...well then I don't think it would really matter which keyboard you use to game with.

In the case of the blue switches, we do agree. :smile: I game pretty much everyday, but must have a different typing style then you. I wasn't able to use the STN in-game, seeing as how there were to many keys not registering to use it as a WASD cluster, but when using Aqua's Key Test the double tap problem definitely came up. Which is why I said blues are not something I'm comfortable with. Clears are more like it!
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline whiteweazel21

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 20 February 2011, 17:16:19 »
I just used notepad to test.
[SIGPIC]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4562/rszgeekhack.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Offline steeef

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 16:19:28 »
Just received this today. The only switch I hadn't tried yet was Reds, and like Blacks, it's too easy for me to bottom out. Even more so.

This pretty much confirms my fears: Clears are my favorites, followed by Blues. Guess I'll have to stick with my Filco until I can find a tenkeyless board with Clears. The MX 8100 with Clears is fun to type on, but I can't the huge footprint and the weird layout of the navigation cluster.

Interestingly, the clickiness of the Blues on this numpad aren't as pronounced as my Filco, which I'm guessing is due to their age. The Clears feel fine, or at least identical to my other board.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 17:21:46 »
Quote from: steeef;301048
This pretty much confirms my fears: Clears are my favorites, followed by Blues. Guess I'll have to stick with my Filco until I can find a tenkeyless board with Clears. The MX 8100 with Clears is fun to type on, but I can't the huge footprint and the weird layout of the navigation cluster.

Haha, yeah, same here. With any luck, KeyboardLover's Geeckhack community board will see the light of day. That will be a tenkeyless Archiss\Leopold with clears.

Offline steeef

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 11:24:14 »
I'm pretty much done with this, so I'll be shipping it out to the next in line tomorrow or so. Thanks for the opportunity to try all these switches out, SirClickAlot! I still know Clears are my favorite, but now I don't have to shell out a bunch of money for Reds when I know I don't like them.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline steeef

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 11:21:09 »
I'm going to try shipping this out today. I'm including a Blue Cube PS2 to USB adapter, but I'll leave the original adapter in there just in case.

Offline Bern

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 11:28:11 »
Looking forward to trying it out.

Offline Bern

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 10:11:45 »
Got it today.  I'll have to wait until after work to play around with it though.

Offline Bern

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 11:00:30 »
Time for my review of the switches.

I'll go from favorite to least favorite.

• MX Reds

These are my favorite switch on here.  I love the smooth feeling of hitting the keys.  I had always worried they might be too light but they give enough resistance for me.

• MX Browns

These are my second favorite switch on the numpad.  They are similar in lightness to reds but the tactile bump feels weird to me.  Might just need getting used to though.

• MX Blues

I like the over all feel of blues, however the click is a little too pingy for me.  I can see how they would be fun to type on.  My wife really hates them though, so they are out of the question in my house.

• MX Blacks

These have the same nice smooth feeling that I like in reds, but are just too stiff for my tastes.  I think it would definitely be tiring to type a whole lot on them.  Seem great in my mind for gaming though.  Assuming that's mostly what you do.

• MX Clears

These are last on my list simply because they are too stiff like blacks, and I actually prefer the linear feel rather than tactile.  If anyone thinks browns are too light I'm sure these would be great.
[/LIST]

It was great to get the numpad and be able to actually try out the different switch types.  I'll most likely be mailing it out on Monday to the next person on the list.

Offline Atranox

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 18:07:24 »
Got it this evening. I'll try it out & post impressions.

I'll send it back out on either Saturday or Monday.

Offline Atranox

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 13 March 2011, 16:40:30 »
The STN is boxed back up & ready to go.  I'll be sending it out tomorrow.

Anyways, my thoughts...

Browns
 - The browns seemed a bit "boring" at first and didn't seem too different from a typical rubber dome board at first.  With more use, the differences became much more apparent.  I really liked these - not too loud, easy to push, etc.  Probably my favorite of all of the switches.  I ended up ordering a U9BL-S because of these.

Blues
 - I liked the feel of the blues, but the clickiness seemed really unnecessary.  I found that after a while, the noise was just more annoying than anything else.  I loved the feel of the keys though and didn't have any issues with double-taps or gaming, though I can see why some people would.  If the sound was a bit less harsh, I probably would have ordered a BlackWidow or U9BL.

Reds
 - The reds basically felt like linear browns, so I also liked these.  I do believe that I would enjoy these the best overall, but they seem to be hard to come-by.  I can see why so many people would like these for gaming.

Blacks
 - Did not like black switches at all, as I had expected.  They seemed like they would be awful for typing, and only decent for a few genres of games.  I'm not sure why anyone would want keys to be this stiff, honestly.  They were horrible...but my least favorite by far.

Clears
 - I anticipated loving clears, but they were just so-so in my opinion.  I liked the tactile bump and "softer" sound/clacking, and also liked how difficult it was to bottom out...but the initial keypress seemed a bit too stiff.  They really didn't seem much lighter than the blacks.  I was considering a tactile Deck, but I pretty much ruled it out after trying these.  To me, clears basically felt like stiffer rubber domes in some ways.

Offline mooremanifestation

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 00:44:54 »
I received it yesterday.

My impressions:

Browns
- I'd already pre-ordered a Leopold w/browns from EK, so I assumed I'd like the browns, and I do.  They're simple, smooth, light, and the tactile bump tells you when the switch is activated.  The tactile bump is not nearly as precise as buckling springs, but it feels exactly like what it is - running a piece of metal over a soft plastic ridge.  I'd like something sharper and more pronounced, but this is still very good.

Reds
- I've been curious about reds, and I like them a lot.  I'm a fan of bottoming out, and that's pretty much all there is to these.  I can't decide whether I like them better than browns, but they feel...sexy.  Now that I've tried reds, I'm sold.  I'll definitely be getting a board with them.  

Blues
- I really like the click and feel of these at low typing speeds.  They feel and sound just about as good as buckling springs.  The tactile bump still feels imprecise, much like the browns, but the click is sharp and gives the illusion that the tactile bump is equally sharp.  At high typing speeds, though, they lose their appeal for me.  The clicks and bumps blur together, and the whole experience is a bit indistinct.  They also feel a little bit sloppy to me.  Maybe that's due to the white slider moving up and down inside the switch, but I can't be sure.  In any case, for a clicky switch I much prefer buckling springs at high speed.  I was planning to get a board with blues at some point, but I may just pass.

Blacks
- These are a mixed bag.  They're a lot like the reds, but too much work.  Still sexy, but not for me.

Clears
- I already have a board full of these, and I know I don't like them.  The tactile bump is fairly close to the browns.  They feel fine at low speeds when pressing lightly, because I can really feel the tactile bump.  At high speeds they feel good if I press hard enough to bottom out, but I can't feel the tactile bump.  I normally type fast, and I don't like the extra effort.  With these, high speed + low-effort = springy mush.

I also noticed that the larger keys (+, Enter, and 0), which are all blues, feel and sound a bit different from the other blues.  It seems like the bottoming-out is dampened, with a softer feel and very little clack sound.  I assume this is the result of Cherry stabilizers.

I'll send this out in the next couple of days.  Thanks again, SirClickAlot!  Being able to try these switches is immensely helpful.
Realforce 103U
Unicomp SpaceSaver
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (clears)
Northgate Omnikey/102

Offline kachaffeous

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 20:12:50 »
Got the STN in and played around with it for a bit.  I just started with mech boards recently and started with a filco brown.  Reading about mechanicals you hear about the noise first and foremost.  Hence the reason I bought browns, I wasn't sure I would like the 'click' and browns was a middle of the road pick.

Browns:  

Light with small bump, easy to miss bump when going fast.  Only really feel it when typing slow.

Blues:  

After playing with the blues, I was drawn to the click.  I was surprised at liking the noise.  Blues are pretty       light.  Probably the key I hit the most.

Red:

Light and linear.  Quieter then browns.  I like the reds a lot.  After feeling the tactile bump and linear keys side by side I prefer linear all the way.

Black:

Linear and stiff.  I could feel my fingers getting tired with these pretty fast.  Won't be buying a black.

Clears:  

Seem stiffer then browns with a bump.  The sound is a lower pitch then the browns (not as clacky) when typing fast.

I would rate them by sound high->low.

Blue, Brown, (Clear/Red/Black)  Blues make a nice noise though.

My personal preferences.

Red, Blue, (Brown/Clear), Black

If i tried the STN before buying my first board it would have been a red mx followed by a blue mx.  While there is nothing wrong w/ my browns, I defiantly like linear better, and I ended up liking the blue click.  

If you are a lurker, I would post 10x and get added to the list.  Reading a ton of post doesn't do the different types of switches justice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2011, 20:17:13 by kachaffeous »

Offline sam113101

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 22:39:51 »
Will I have to pack it on my own, or I can reuse the current package*?
How do I know who I have to send it to*?
I'm Canadian, I would like to send it to a Canadian too so it costs less.

I'm not familiar with shipping things since I'm only 17, but I guess that my family is going to guide me through it.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 05:43:24 »
Quote from: sam113101;318744
Will I have to pack it on my own, or I can reuse the current package*?
How do I know who I have to send it to*?
I'm Canadian, I would like to send it to a Canadian too so it costs less.

I'm not familiar with shipping things since I'm only 17, but I guess that my family is going to guide me through it.
Probably you will have to pack it on your own.
I will tell you where you need to send it to.
There are currently no canadian participants, so the chances are high you will need to ship it internationally.

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline sam113101

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 17:29:56 »
I've sent you a PM.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 09:35:46 »
Nice job with the switch try numpad and the switch try sack
Since it is unlikely that I can get any of these soon enough plus shipping cost a ton since I am living half a world a away from most of you. Thus I have decided to buy my own swtiches to do a switch try.

MX clears arrived first, with blues, brown and black on its way. I am going to make some ghetto reds since I can't. I do not have any keycaps with me, those are on its way from china together with the other switches.

By just playing around with the Clears, I find that I really like it. Since I could not wait for them to arrive, this thing has been bugging me, will there be a significant difference, with or without the keycaps on the switch?

Offline SirClickAlot

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 10:41:32 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;320635

By just playing around with the Clears, I find that I really like it. Since I could not wait for them to arrive, this thing has been bugging me, will there be a significant difference, with or without the keycaps on the switch?

Yes, there is a difference with or without the keycaps. I actually had the same questions when I first built my switch try board.... Without the keycap you will not have the 'clack'.

Regards.

Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):

Offline Saffa

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 15:42:40 »
I received the switch try numpad today in the mail and just had a chance to try it out. Before I write down my thoughts on the switch types, I'd like to mention that the 1, 6, and 8 keys don't register at all and the 7 key won't register consistently. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Brown switches: I began writing how I really disliked the brown switches, and then, once I finished writing this short review, came back to revise this entry. I actually enjoy the browns. I don't quite like them as much as the blue switches -- their not tactile enough for me and it seems hard to feel the bump if you press it quickly. Feel a bit like mushier blues, but they're still decent.

Blue switches: I pretty much love these. They are quite loud (maybe a bit too loud) and I could see how they could easily get on a roommate's or house-mate's nerves. They feel a decent bit heavier than the browns and I can definitely tell when I've actuated the key. Seems like the best to type on. Despite this, I am slightly worried about gaming on blues. The reset point is pretty high and hovering doesn't work well. This is absolutely not a problem if you come off the key when double tapping. Not a pro gamer of course, so I'm sure I could learn to play on a blue keyboard fairly quickly and live with the slight decrease in speed.

Red switches: I have really mixed feelings about linear switches in general. I DO miss the tactile bump, but at the same time, the smoothness isn't a totally bad thing. The reds seem slightly too light and, since I tend to type pretty hard, I bottom out way too easily. But, then again, I'm sure I could learn to type correctly on them...

Blacks: These seem slightly too heavy. Really, they should make a key in between red and blacks! Definitely the best for gaming I'd say, but seem like they might not be great typing on. Some of the what I've read about them being way too heavy seems like an exaggeration though.

Clears: I anticipated really liking these, but decided I didn't. As others have said, they actually feel somewhat like a rubber dome keyboard (though quite a bit better!). They feel slightly too heavy and the tactile bump isn't quite big enough.

Basically, I think I'll end up getting a blue keyboard to start and then later getting a brown or black (probably black so I have a linear switch to game on).

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 18:19:36 »
I spent some time trying out all the different keys and just trying to imagine what it would feel like on a full keyboard.  Owning a keyboard with browns and trying the browns on the STN makes it very clear to me that you really don't get the full experience without a full keyboard, but it's nice to at least have an idea.

Browns:  Pretty nice feel.  They seem boring at first and the bump almost makes them seem a tad mushy for some reason, perhaps because it's so light you don't really perceive it as a bump and instead it just makes the keypress feel strange at first (I've started to enjoy it the more I use them though, keep pressing the keys and really give them all a chance).  I love these on my keyboard, and if I had to pick any key I think this still might be my #1 choice after trying everything on the STN.

Blues: I was surprised by just how crisp these feel.  I think the sound changes my perception a bit and makes these seem more crisp than they are, but still they definitely have a nice feeling.  They are a bit harder to press than the browns but feel great, and if it wasn't for the super annoying noise I would really like the blues.

Reds: I was surprised when I first tried the reds.  They get so much love and praise around here that I was disappointed.  I don't really know what I was expecting, but I don't see how anybody that thinks browns are boring could like reds.  The linear feel was kind of neat in that it felt so smooth, but I really prefer the browns to these.  There's nothing particularly interesting about them, and now I definitely know that I'm not a fan of the linear switches.

Blacks: Talk of them being hard to press seems a bit exaggerated, these didn't feel too hard at all.  The actuation force of reds is 45 and blacks is 60, so honestly it's not night and day.  Somebody who thinks reds are just a touch too light would probably like blacks, and I don't think they would be the worst for typing on.  Personally I like really light switches so these aren't for me, but they aren't bad.

Clears:  These felt really difficult to press for some reason, but I did like the feel of the bump.  A lighter version of clears would be pretty awesome I think, but as it stands I'd rather stick with the browns even though I do prefer the more pronounced bump of the clears.

I'd just like to note that I personally don't think the blacks would be any better than browns for gaming on.  I find double tapping to be really easy on browns, and I don't see how the linear switches would be any better.  Maybe I just need to experience it on a keyboard, but after trying all the switches I'm really happy I decided to go with browns and I don't see myself switching any time soon.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 14:12:29 »
Just recieved the switch try numpad, will post thoughts a bit later after I get home from work.
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:46:10 »
Here are my thoughts on the differant switches.

Blues - I have 2 MX boards so these were nothing new, love them, my favorite switch to type with and thats why I have a fullsize blue at work.

Browns - Surprised by how much I liked the browns although the bump is even less then what i thought it would be.

Red - I have a red board aswell and love it, the only board I use when gaming.

Black - Didn't like these at all, to much force required.  Just blah

Clears - Really really liked these and the increased force you need as you get closer to bottoming the key out, I could really see these as being on the next board I buy (or mod).

Let me know who it needs to goto next.  Although if extra time is needed I wouldnt mind an extra day or two with it.

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 21:45:28 »
haha i thought it was a buy list

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 14 April 2011, 22:08:10 »
hi Sirclickalot,

Let me know when you have the next person ready to recieve this, I can send it by next day or 2 day fed-ex.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 13:41:17 »
For funzies, I didnt see anyone else take any pics with it.

Offline Saffa

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:45:50 »
Quote from: Lpb45;331531
For funzies, I didnt see anyone else take any pics with it.

Show Image

OH NO! Don't get cake on it!

But yum... :) Nice pic

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 17:51:28 »
How would I go about getting one of these, how much does it cost? I suck at reading.

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 18:02:34 »
Quote from: ripster;331749
Once you pass the reading test it's free.

Many people don't.  Usually the ones that came from OCN.

Nice way to make fun of me. To be honest what I meant to say was I didn't bother reading, but now that I read it I assume we get it and then pass it onto the next person. (Meaning the only cost is whatever it costs to ship it to the next guy in line.)

But to be fair, the term "Sinklist" isn't exactly thrown around too much in my neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 April 2011, 18:05:50 by Khaotik55 »

Offline RiGS

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 18:07:37 »
Quote from: ripster;331749
Once you pass the reading test it's free.

Many people don't.  Usually the ones that came from OCN.

Hey, somebody SNITCHED on me there
!  If this was in my neighborhood the snitch would be DEAD!
Show Image

Hey! What about your bull**** code of honor?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 18:22:09 »
I guess Ripster won't get to be an OCN moderator now...

Shame. I might have joined OCN if that happened.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 14:35:12 »
Quote from: Khaotik55;331752
To be honest what I meant to say was I didn't bother reading, but now that I read it I assume we get it and then pass it onto the next person. (Meaning the only cost is whatever it costs to ship it to the next guy in line.)

That is correct. I think it cost me all of $6 to send it to the next person via USPS, which is a great price compared to buying five separate keyboards.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:12:34 »
The guy that had to send it to me did it wrong.
It came back to him that fedex tells me, I think he made a mistake while recopying my address.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:21:09 »
There was no mistake, it was being sent through my company fed-ex and they want me to generate a commercial invoice which would show up as my companies name which I cannot do.  I work at a logistics company, sending anything to canada is a pain in the ass unless you have a pars number ahead of time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2011, 15:57:28 by Lpb45 »

Offline SirClickAlot

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 15:43:15 »
I reshuffled the sinklist a bit.... Sam113101 needs to wait a bit more...

Regards.

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 16:01:30 »
Ok within the first 15 seconds of me using these I knew it was going to be a battle between blues and reds.

Blues+Reds: My first and only mechanical keyboard was a Blue from XArmor and this brought back memories. I liked this the best at first but I turned to reds after pretending like I was typing. Trying to pretend to type on 3 keys is quite difficult but it gave me an idea. I also pretended like I was playing a game using WASD. The WASD w/ reds felt boring compared to blues which is a con, but every once in a while I would not come all the way up with the blues when gaming, it wasn't an issue but it happened occasionally. (I remember this from my XArmor.) So I figured reds would be less of a problem and to be honest I was never a fan of tactile points anyways, I just like the click that comes with blues. So reds win on both fronts for me typing/gaming. However still in the back of my mind I think the blues are.. interesting....which I like, but I get that same sort of feeling when bottoming out with the reds. I enjoy the clack.

Browns: The tactile point on these made them feel cheap for some reason. Do not want.

Clears: I think these are the worst, they are heavy and have that same cheap tactile point feel. Do not want.

Blacks: To be honest I think these would be better for typing than gaming... Seems too heavy to use as WASD 24/7. But they are soft for typing, maybe a little too soft. (Hard to press gives it a soft feeling.) Do not want.
(Also the Num4 is harder than Num 5/6, and Num 5 is lighter than Num6. = All black switches.)

*Cherry stabilizers that are on the big keys: Not sure what to think about these, I don't like the 0 because it feels mushy. However the + has the same stabilizers but feels way easier to press, I think this would make a great Left Shift / Enter key. Not sure how to compare them to Filco's because I had those metal bar stabilizers that are similar (if not are) the Filco's on my old XArmor and IT felt mushy and I hated the big keys because of it.

**1,6,7,8 do not work. (I only tried USB so far.) (* works, I was just using that as a symbol for an addition to my post.)
(7 only works when you push the switch down and wiggle it back towards you, it will keep registering without you even letting up, all you need to do is push back. Definitely bad. :p)

[video=youtube;4xi7tW1wI6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xi7tW1wI6s[/video]
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2011, 17:19:53 by Khaotik55 »

Offline dr/owned

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 21:29:21 »
I would buy a red board if I could find one that isn't Filco.  The narrowness of the keys on my brown piss me off.  Thanks for the video though.  You can really see the linearity of the red and black switches and how your muscles strain more to push down the black.
Realforce all 55g (work keyboard)
Realforce all 45g (sold)
CM Storm Quickfire Cherry MX Green (home keyboard) w/ White Thick Dyesub PBT keycaps.

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 23:02:42 »
Quote from: dr/owned;337278
...and how your muscles strain more to push down the black.

LOL!? caps avoidance

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 17:41:52 »
So I just tried the keypad.  I liked the blues and red the best.  Blue felt good and I liked the feed back and Red felt good too (and the bottom out sound was nice :P).  I didnt like browns and the clears/black felt inferior to the red, blue was a class of its own and I liked that.  I decided to buy a mx red keyboard after all was said and done.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 19:13:08 by Zamorph »

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 21:02:16 »
Quote from: Zamorph;341253
So I just tried the keypad.  I liked the blues and red the best.  Blue felt good and I liked the feed back and Red felt good too (and the bottom out sound was nice :P).  I didnt like browns and the clears/black felt inferior to the red, blue was a class of its own and I liked that.  I decided to buy a mx red keyboard after all was said and done.

How'd you like the fact that I covered 100% of the box in packaging tape. (I got the idea from Lpb.) Hahaha

Any hair you found in the box was also from Lpb. :boink:

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 21:14:33 »
Quote from: Khaotik55;341307
How'd you like the fact that I covered 100% of the box in packaging tape. (I got the idea from Lpb.) Hahaha

ROFL it was a pain in the ass to open.  I did it very carefully and saved it all.  I am sending it the same way I got it :P
PS. - hair... itchy...and gross :P

Btw, think they will let me send it in the same box?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 21:20:17 by Zamorph »

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 22:17:51 »
As long as you remove or cover up the old shipping labels, you're fine.  When I got the Topre keyring, it had been sent in the same USPS box that it first entered Canada in, and I reused the box when I sent it! :)
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline RedCloudFuneral

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 00:40:24 »
Quote from: dr/owned;337278
I would buy a red board if I could find one that isn't Filco.  The narrowness of the keys on my brown piss me off.  Thanks for the video though.  You can really see the linearity of the red and black switches and how your muscles strain more to push down the black.
offtopic: I got a KBC Poker with reds, would you be interested in that?
ontopic:  I PMed you, I got to thank you for offering this service, I haven't liked any of the switches I've tried so far and my mom is getting mad at me for buying and selling all my stuff.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2011, 00:49:26 by RedCloudFuneral »

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 15:36:36 »
Quote from: Zamorph;341312
ROFL it was a pain in the ass to open.  I did it very carefully and saved it all.  I am sending it the same way I got it :P
PS. - hair... itchy...and gross :P

Btw, think they will let me send it in the same box?

Yeah, that box is actually Lpb's box. He sent it in 100% packaging tape that's why the cardboard is all ripped up, because it came off with Lpb's tape.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 21:03:28 »
God, I'll never have it if we keep adding new people.

Offline Khaotik55

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 21:41:44 »
Quote from: sam113101;341850

In all fairness, who's fault is that? :p

Oh wait, you're not that guy. You're in Canada. Ignore everything I've said.

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:29:41 »
Quote from: sam113101;341850
I guess we should stop bumping this thread :P

Offline RedCloudFuneral

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 23:41:14 »
Wow... the different switches really surprised me, the blues are not as loud as you would expect from the clips, they are about the same volume wise as bottoming out on any other key, but more high pitched sounding, with my headphones on I can slightly hear the blues, while I can't hear the other switches, they feel good to type on, but the noise is a deal breaker for me. What really surprised me were the browns, I figured I would hate them seeing as they are almost as light as my Poker with reds which I find too light. Its hard to tell from just trying out a few keys, but I can tell I would prefer them to blacks for gaming. The clears... I am never touching again, it only takes a few presses and my hands hurt. I'm so glad I ditched that Deck last year, I'm positive the clears would have given me RSI.

Cheers to Geekhack, Head-Fi, and OCN for keeping my wallet empty

The board will be on its way to the Great White North next week.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 14:06:39 »
I've just received the STN.

Browns*: They are my favorite. They are easy to press, they do not cause any fatigue.
It would be a good switch to become a standard (like rubber dome for the moment), I can't see why people would hate them.

Blues*: I hate them. It was the first mechanical switch that I tried (I have a DAS),
I was loving them at first because they feel better than regular domes. But god, I've come to hate that high-pitched sound.

Red*: They feel almost exactly the same as browns. They feel a little heavier because they miss the bump.
I prefer browns over reds because the bump of the browns makes them less tiring to type on. The lack of bump
on the reds also makes them a little quieter I think. But browns are quiet enough (and they sound VERY nice).
Reds feel like typing on butter.

Black*: They feel like typing on butter too, but HARD butter. They are very tiring and I would never buy a keyboard using them.
Clears*: They are interesting, I wonder why they aren't used so much. They are like browns but a bit heavier, the bump is more distinctive too.
The thing I like about them is that you'll never bottom them out. They are a bit too heavy, though.

The one I like the most to the one I like the least*:
brown > red > clear > blue > black

Thank you Mr Interface, now all I need to know is if I'll like browns or topres better.
That for sure saved me a lot of money.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 July 2011, 19:31:27 by sam113101 »

Offline sam113101

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 30 May 2011, 23:13:16 »
Is it PCB-mounted*? Blues felt different than blues on my DAS, and the sound was a lot nicer.
As it was not really heavy, I guess it is PCB-mounted.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 09:56:20 »
Quote from: Khaotik55;341307

I shipped it the same way I got it aswell, and it also had PLENTY of hair in it when I opened it lol