Author Topic: singing the cherry blues  (Read 3922 times)

Offline lodc

singing the cherry blues
« on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 00:40:37 »
Hi,

First thanks for this site, I have now spent some hours reading here and the knowledge and advice is very useful.  You guys know a lot about keyboards!

After much consideration and study, I think I;d want to get something with cherry blue switches in it.  Unless I'm missing something, the current options are the Das III, the iOne M10, and a model of the Cherry G80-3000 family.. did i miss something?

The Das problems with key ordering scare me, as do the stories of shoddy workmanship with the iOne M10s.  So I thought I'd try the Cherry G80... but how does someone in the US get their hands on this type of thing?  It's mentioned on the forums here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=597&page=2  and I find the model listed as "G80-3000LSCEU-0" on Cherry's german page here http://www.cherry.de/english/products/office_business_G80-3000.htm
Googling for the model number gives me only gives me very japanese pages, ebay doesn't turn up any g80-3000s unless I am not searching for the right thing.  any clues for a noob?  is this a decent keyboard, or is there a big problem with this series too?  something else i should be considering? thanks for any advice.

Offline cmr

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 01:11:03 »
whether the das iii rollover bug will affect you depends on your typing style and speed. i haven't been affected by it; i make typos of the same kind and number on my M10 as i do on my das iii. i generally type somewhere between 70 and 90 wpm. the sound of the das iii is also noticeably louder than that of the M10 (i posted some audio files earlier this evening if you want to hear the difference).

i've only had the M10 for a few days, so i can't say yet how it will hold up. the PCB soldering looks pretty similar to what wellington posted, not nearly as bad as some of the worse ones i've seen on here.

haven't tried a cherry G80-3000.

Offline wellington1869

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 01:21:37 »
DSI modular mac also comes with blue cherries (you can select blue or brown cherries). The mac layout will work on PCs but DSI is also coming out with a PC layout (in black) in the next month or two, supposedly.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
singing the cherry blues
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 01:51:23 »
Also, the Filco "mini" is now available in blue Cherry flavor.  :)

Offline lodc

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 02:41:04 »
Quote from: iMav;16028

now that is very interesting.. any way to buy these directly from the US, or would I have to use a buying service in japan?  seems like they add quite a bit of cost

Offline lodc

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 02:44:34 »
Quote from: cmr;16020
whether the das iii rollover bug will affect you depends on your typing style and speed. i haven't been affected by it; i make typos of the same kind and number on my M10 as i do on my das iii. i generally type somewhere between 70 and 90 wpm. the sound of the das iii is also noticeably louder than that of the M10 (i posted some audio files earlier this evening if you want to hear the difference).

i've only had the M10 for a few days, so i can't say yet how it will hold up. the PCB soldering looks pretty similar to what wellington posted, not nearly as bad as some of the worse ones i've seen on here.

haven't tried a cherry G80-3000.

yes i listened to your sound samples, thanks for providing so much useful info.  i do like the Das as far as its a nice looking keyboard and seems reasonably priced compared to costs of importing the japanese equipment.  with my luck, i'd get one of the worst M10s so thats definitely out.. but the Das is a tough one, really want to like it hehe.
The fact that the manufacturer hasn't responded to support requests with much of anything is almost more troubling than the issue itself to be honest.  I guess I will wait a few more weeks and see what develops (if anything).
thanks again for the info.

Offline lal

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 03:21:24 »
Quote from: lodc;16017
I find the model listed as "G80-3000LSCEU-0" on Cherry's german page here http://www.cherry.de/english/products/office_business_G80-3000.htm
Googling for the model number gives me only gives me very japanese pages

Google for "G80-3000LSCEU", without the trailing "-0".
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
singing the cherry blues
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 08:47:21 »
Quote from: lodc;16032
now that is very interesting.. any way to buy these directly from the US, or would I have to use a buying service in japan?  seems like they add quite a bit of cost

Gotta use a buying service.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
singing the cherry blues
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 11:27:57 »
Of course, check the group buy thread.

Anyway, I'm eventually going to get an M10, and I'll disassemble it to take pics of the PCB whenever I get one.

Offline lowpoly

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 03:27:29 »
G80-3000LSCEU-0

This would be the light gray version. G80-3000LSCEU-2 would be black.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline djones

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 13:21:46 »
Quote from: iMav;16028

wait... filco came out with a blue cherry tenkeyless? I don't see one on their site.

Offline bigpook

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 13:35:17 »
Quote from: djones;16205
wait... filco came out with a blue cherry tenkeyless? I don't see one on their site.

It may not be on their site, but it is here.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/filco/10000398/
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline djones

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 14:06:52 »
Quote from: bigpook;16206
It may not be on their site, but it is here.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/filco/10000398/

ooohhhhh............... nice! I'm ordering one tonight.

Offline bigpook

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 15:42:39 »
Quote from: djones;16208
ooohhhhh............... nice! I'm ordering one tonight.

I would imagine that a blue cherry  filco mini would be very sweet indeed.

Offline lodc

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 December 2008, 04:09:10 »
a filco mini with the cherry blue switches seems like a really nice option.
Does anyone have one of these?  from the commentary on the other filco's I doubt there would be any problems.  I noticed more than one person say the M10 with blues feels different than the das III with blues, how is this possible?  different materials in the keytops or structure of the board?  wonder how the filco would blues will be..  wonder if I should just stop wondering and buy something ;)

I was going to find out how much it would cost to get one from the USA and order one, but it seems cresent shopping and benippon are closed until monday jan 5th :(  

[edited to remove questions that i found answers to already posted elsewhere on the board.. doh..]

thanks again for all the advice in this thread and all over the boards here.  its a really great resource.

Offline lodc

filco with blue cherry switches on the way!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 04:41:11 »
I am excited, ordered the filco tenkeyless with blues this evening.  16,695 JPY from j-goods if anyone cares to know.  I cannot wait to replace this hunk of junk i've been coding with lately.  thnx again for the advice.

Offline bigpook

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 15:39:10 »
Quote from: lodc;16262
I am excited, ordered the filco tenkeyless with blues this evening.  16,695 JPY from j-goods if anyone cares to know.  I cannot wait to replace this hunk of junk i've been coding with lately.  thnx again for the advice.

Thats shipping and handling included right, if so that seems to be a fair price.

Offline lodc

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 20:22:55 »
Quote from: bigpook;16292
Thats shipping and handling included right, if so that seems to be a fair price.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure.  I tried to translate their email with babelfish, it seemed to say that was the total amount.  However, their website says that there will be two billings, one for the item and shipping to them, and a second for shipping to me.  I guess I'll find out :)

Offline bigpook

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 20:38:00 »
I have a post in with crescent-shopping. I think the total cost shipped is a little over 200 dollars.

Offline Therac-25

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 23:24:23 »
Is it sad that I'm now waiting for my M10 to get delivered for the primary purpose of evaluating the blue cherrys to decide which one of these to order?
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline wellington1869

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 23:25:31 »
Quote from: Therac-25;16320
Is it sad that I'm now waiting for my M10 to get delivered for the primary purpose of evaluating the blue cherrys to decide which one of these to order?

lol, you can always sell it here to someone else who's planning to do the same thing ;)
I tested inexpensive boards first to try out switches and decide what I liked. I think its fairly normal actually. Who wants to spend 200 before knowing if they're going to like the switch? Its easier to rationalize 50.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bigpook

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 23:35:30 »
Quote from: Therac-25;16320

Not at all. You may not like the blue cherries, better to be out 50 then 200 dollars. And like wellington said, if you like the blue cherries, you can/will sell the M10 and move on.

Offline lodc

singing the cherry blues
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 10:26:12 »
Quote from: lodc;16313
To be honest I'm not entirely sure.  I tried to translate their email with babelfish, it seemed to say that was the total amount.  However, their website says that there will be two billings, one for the item and shipping to them, and a second for shipping to me.  I guess I'll find out :)

Turns out gmail's spam filter reclassified a couple messages from j-goods, including one in english explaining that I would not need to make a second payment because they knew the weight of the item.  so, that price is indeed the total.  perhaps a little cheaper than cresent shopping.