Author Topic: [IC] GB until Aug 12th - P.01 & P.02 for Mysterium & Discipline + Special PCBs  (Read 45261 times)

Offline ectoplasmatic

Hello lovely geekhackers.

for your consideration...

P R O T O Z O A  0 1 + 0 2
    Premium cases for Discipline & Mysterium by protozoa.studio

Group Buy Poll | Discord | Instagram

Brand & Renders by Sailer aka @spicychickenrenders
    Original PCB design by Coseyfannitutti (CFTKB.com)
    PCB graphics by Sailer, fulfilled by Hunter & Protozoa

03/08/20
    MOQ has been met, GB extended until Aug 12th to allow prototypes to get to streamers.

17/07/20:
    • Prototypes arrived, being built up - everything is nearly ready for the group buy.
    • Special Edition models planned at GB start

P.02 - Discipline 65

//features
    • CNC Alu
    • Seamless
    • Top mount - spring plate
    • 6 degrees
    • Compatible with V1 and V2 Discipline PCBs
    • Custom moulded silicone feet
    • laser cut pcb & case eva foam
    • Custom Torx T6 hardware
    • choice of dedicated ISO or ANSI plates
    • backwards compatible with already soldered kits via standoffs
    • 1.7kg

//colours:
    • Navy (Pantone 533 C)
    • Volcanic Green (Pantone 417 C)
    • Black (Pantone 6 C)
    • E-White

//pricing
    • MOQ: 100 units
    • Unlimited GB
    • Base Kit: 295$
    • E-White: +10$
    • Brass Wedge: +15$
    • Brass Plate by Laserboost: +30$

//Extras:
    • Aluminium Plate: 35$
    • Brass Plate by Laserboost: 50$
    • Brass Wedge: 45$
    • Acrylic Window: 10$
    • Torx Fasteners: 5$
    • Silicone Feet: 10$

//PCB: Special Edition 'Protozoa' PCB, using CFTKB.com's Discipline V2 files for ISO support (with permission), with ENIG finish
    • PCB Only: 45$
    • PCB + Components: 65$

//renders
    More

P.01 Mysterium TKL

//features
    • CNC Alu
    • Seamless
    • Top mount - plate by Laserboost
    • 7.7 degrees
    • choice of Winkey or Winkeyless top
    • Compatible with V1 Mysterium PCBs
    • Custom moulded silicone feet
    • laser cut pcb & case eva foam
    • Custom Torx T6 hardware
    • 3.1kg

//colours
    • Navy (Pantone 533 C)
    • Volcanic Green (Pantone 417 C)
    • Black (Pantone 6 C)
    • E-White

//pricing
    • MOQ: 50 units
    • Unlimited GB
    • Base Kit: 350$
    • E-White: +10$
    • Brass Plate by Laserboost: +30$

//Extras:
    • Aluminium Plate: 40$
    • Brass Plate by Laserboost: 50$
    • Acrylic Cover: 18$
    • Torx Fasteners: 5$
    • Silicone Feet: 10$

//PCB: Special Edition 'Protozoa' PCB, with ENIG finish
    • PCB Only: 50$
    • PCB + Components: 75$

//renders
    More

About Me

I'm a UK based Swedish media producer who has been quietly lurking geekhack / reddit / discord for the past 5 years. Like many of you, I fell for the Discipline and Mysterium. They embody a few of the things that I love about this hobby - the sense of accomplishment of a DIY project, the showcasing of raw components that you have lovingly soldered yourself. They gave me the impetus to leave my cave and finally participate in the community with you lovely & amazing people. Thus these cases were born. This is my first IC & potential group buy, and am working hard to be as prepared and take as many considerations as I can. As a buyer I've participated in many group buys.. I've seen smooth ones, bumpy ones, heartbreaking ones. I will do my utmost to deliver in the first category.

Thanks so much for reading, and I look forward to your feedback.[/list]
    « Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 08:19:28 by ectoplasmatic »

Offline ectoplasmatic

Re: [IC] Protozoa 01 + 02: Discipline & Mysterium Cases
    « Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 06:56:06 »
    reserved.

Offline HannibalChew

• Formerly PixelScript
      • gaffworks
    « Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 07:06:51 »
    Looks fantastic, great job!  :thumb:

Offline randalbolts

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 07:15:38 »
    I'm in for a Mysterium in Volcanic Green! Love the look! :D Also love the potential speed of the group buy

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 13:42:33 »
    Excited

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 13:58:57 »
    Ohh, regarding your note about PCB availability, yea, if you can get the Mysterium PCB, I'd be all over this

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:36:34 »
    Interested, but does it come with a Hot-swap PCB?

Also, would be nice to have it in silver color also.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
    • * Esteemed Elder
    • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
    « Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 14:42:49 »
    Weirdly interested in the TKL here, just because of the aesthetic tbh.

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 17:34:05 »
    Looks fantastic, great job!  :thumb:
    Thanks for all your support, man!

Interested, but does it come with a Hot-swap PCB?

Also, would be nice to have it in silver color also.
    hey! unfortunately it does not come in hotswap format, since the existing pcb design is not being altered. According to a quick reddit search some people have been able to use millmax sockets but you'll have to solder those in first, and could be a bit tricky.

I'm in for a Mysterium in Volcanic Green! Love the look! :D Also love the potential speed of the group buy
    thanks for your support, love that you love the look :)

Ohh, regarding your note about PCB availability, yea, if you can get the Mysterium PCB, I'd be all over this
    there will most likely be a concurrent pcb group buy that i'll steer you towards when the time is right, so you should not have a problem getting a pcb. CFTKB.com will also be running a mysterium group buy in the not so distant future afaik.

Weirdly interested in the TKL here, just because of the aesthetic tbh.
    legend. thanks so much, means a lot. I'm glad my weird cover design is appreciated by some of us haha!

Offline willyG

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 17:41:04 »
    love this! hope you can get it to groupbuy ASAP! Was just looking at discipline cases today

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 11:52:43 »
    love this! hope you can get it to groupbuy ASAP! Was just looking at discipline cases today

Thank you! Yes we will be going to GB pretty soon hopefully, once we have a prototype of the discipline case and are happy with fit etc.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 12:55:37 »
    I would be very interested in the Discipline case. Looks great!

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 09:29:55 »
    Excited for this!

Offline nathey

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 18:05:21 »
    I’m in no doubt

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 18:33:28 »
    I was so excited to get the email from you a couple of days ago that things were progressing! I'm very excited to make this my first 65.

Offline syke

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:15:12 »
    interested. however it would be nice to have a board displaying the resistors and components in other colours as well. Just white is a little dull looking unless the entire case is in white as well.

Offline syke

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:16:03 »
    btw is the window tempered glass? acrylic would be a big turnoff.

Offline Gnives

• cursed from the nurse to the hearse
    « Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 18:21:38 »
    Reserved.

Offline ansaf

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 20:39:02 »
    Interested in this! An OCE vendor would be great for people in the general OCE/Asia region. If there is enough interest in the region Daily Clack would be a good vendor.

Offline L-Ron

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 00:22:31 »
    Seconding Daily Clack for OCE vendor, really interested in a Discipline case

Offline thornkin

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 01:48:42 »
    Definitely interested in a discipline case.

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 13:56:55 »
    Interested in this! An OCE vendor would be great for people in the general OCE/Asia region. If there is enough interest in the region Daily Clack would be a good vendor.
    Seconding Daily Clack for OCE vendor, really interested in a Discipline case

I'm still looking into the possibility of vendors but for various reasons that may not happen. I'll keep you informed!

btw is the window tempered glass? acrylic would be a big turnoff.

No it is 3mm thick clear acrylic. It can be ordered from ponoko in many colours and flavours (clear is included). I looked into tempered glass and it was very expensive and more fragile in this application.

interested. however it would be nice to have a board displaying the resistors and components in other colours as well. Just white is a little dull looking unless the entire case is in white as well.

Thanks! I'm not sure I fully understand your comment, sorry - the PCB itself can be acquired in different colours yes. The case is also offered in white.

Definitely interested in a discipline case.
    I would be very interested in the Discipline case. Looks great!
    I was so excited to get the email from you a couple of days ago that things were progressing! I'm very excited to make this my first 65.
    I’m in no doubt
    Excited for this!

Thanks so much for your support, means a lot!

Offline sagarsiddhpura

Do you have renders of case colours with Black PCB?

Offline DonaldPShimoda

I know you're not running the PCB GBs yourself, but is there any idea about how much the Discipline PCB will cost? (Even just a rough estimate.) I'm just trying to plan ahead to see if I can swing this next month. Looks awesome!

Offline hkhawk

Yes, I'd like to see this too

Offline DogSpark

This may be my first true custom board.  It's an interesting design for sure.  There are so many choices with keyboards it's overwhelming. 

Offline i luv chuletas

Will the PCB's for these be ran at the same time, or would you procure them by any chance?

Love that Mysterium kit, but the pcb's will be unavailable for some time directly from CFTKB iirc.

Offline Madrai

Interesting - Looks very clean and I appreciate how far you're going even to try and arrange more Mysterium PCBs. Good luck!

Offline noorejji

The green looks very interesting, well done. I don't own any of the PCB's, and the only way I could defend buying this is if the PCB can ship together with the case. Reason being the cost of shipping and import duties on two seperate packages that would otherwise entail. In any case, GL with IC.

Offline ectoplasmatic

I do not - I can see if I can whip something up. I am getting professional renders done ahead of the group buy start as well, might be able to share some in about a weeks time.

I know you're not running the PCB GBs yourself, but is there any idea about how much the Discipline PCB will cost? (Even just a rough estimate.) I'm just trying to plan ahead to see if I can swing this next month. Looks awesome!

Yes you're right, I won't be running it so it's up to 'Wav' the GB runner (join us on discord to speak to him directly - link above), in the past his PCBs were 25$ for the pcb and 25$ for the components (resistors, etc). I know he is considering offering a higher quality pcb (ENIG), which looks nicer, and would be closer to 50$.

Thanks for your support!

This may be my first true custom board.  It's an interesting design for sure.  There are so many choices with keyboards it's overwhelming. 

This is very true my friend, very true. Thanks so much for considering this one.

Will the PCB's for these be ran at the same time, or would you procure them by any chance?

Love that Mysterium kit, but the pcb's will be unavailable for some time directly from CFTKB iirc.

yes indeed, the PCBs will be run by a separate group buy at the same time. I'll be linking to it in my group buy though so you won't miss it. I'm figuring it out with the runner, I may be able to package the PCBs with international orders of the case myself, so you won't pay for international shipping twice. PCBs will be shipped from the US. More info soon.

Interesting - Looks very clean and I appreciate how far you're going even to try and arrange more Mysterium PCBs. Good luck!

Thanks so much, appreciate your support!

Offline ectoplasmatic

The green looks very interesting, well done. I don't own any of the PCB's, and the only way I could defend buying this is if the PCB can ship together with the case. Reason being the cost of shipping and import duties on two seperate packages that would otherwise entail. In any case, GL with IC.

Thanks, really appreciate that! Where are you based? If you're non-USA, i'm looking into shipping cases and PCBs together. No guarantee yet, but I don't see how we can't do that.

Offline noorejji

Thanks, really appreciate that! Where are you based? If you're non-USA, i'm looking into shipping cases and PCBs together. No guarantee yet, but I don't see how we can't do that.
    Cool! Based in Norway.

Offline ectoplasmatic

Cool! Based in Norway.

I'll ship case & pcb to you together. Do check out our new PCB designs above if you haven't seen yet.
    « Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2020, 18:39:55 by ectoplasmatic »

Offline niakulah

I'm looking for a full size, but this Mysterium case plus a matching Discipad case would be awesome!

Offline Shiro

really cool design, hope it all works out!

Offline noorejji

Cool! Based in Norway.

I'll ship case & pcb to you together. Do check out our new PCB designs above if you haven't seen yet.
    Wow, those PCB look sick! Why haven’t I seen anyone else do this before?

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
    still a bit confused on design

On looking at the case tops - Am I right in that assuming that the discipline top shows no screw holes whereas the mysterium will? I think I prefer the cleaner look without.

pricing looks a little high but I gather this is due to the UK/EU manufacturing premium....
    Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline noorejji

pricing looks a little high but I gather this is due to the UK/EU manufacturing premium....
    It's not clear to me wether tax is included on the prices listed on the first post.

Btw, anyone have any suggestions on what kind of keyset colorways would fit the volcanic green?
    « Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2020, 09:25:07 by noorejji »

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
    edit: didn't mean to quote myself.
    « Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2020, 23:56:35 by mchanneh »
    Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline cloudtastrophe

Please correct me if im wrong.. but if the group buy starts this wednesday and it is unlimited through to august 5th, does that mean that i have until then to join? i am asking just for budgeting reasons. Also will Paypal be an option? Thank you!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
    Any pics of the prototype?

Offline savageastr0naut

WOW, those special edition PCBs... great work.

I am in, let's go!

Offline keebpleeb

WOW just... wow.

I was around for the very first IC and was interested then, but wasn't sure how this was progressing until I came across a pic of the P.02 in a random discord server today. Man am I glad I didn't go in on the Think6.5v2. This keeb checks absolutely every last one of my boxes:
    • Discipline styling with exposed circuitry
    • Minimalist design
    • Understated af and so... so clean
    • Gorgeous badging - planning on filling
    • Custom/limited PCB

I told myself I was going to wait for something that just blew me away and this is most certainly it. Sorry wallet/wife, it's happening.

I do have a few questions, though, before I buy!
    EDIT: Ecto answered these questions in the Protozoa Discord server and I'm posting them here for anyone who might have the same questions I did. Saved you a click!

• How thick is the PCB?
    pcb thickness - standard 1.6mm
    • What's the overall weight of the board? With/without brass wedge
    overall weight - about 1.7kg without brass, about 1.9kg with brass wedge
    • From the renders, it doesn't look like there's a cut out on the case bottom that will allow room for the PCB. I know this is probably an artistic rendering decision, but I'd like to see what the practical implementation of the spring-style plate mount looks like on this board.
    there's a cutout and 3.5mm space under the PCB, no problem for clearance.
    • What's the expected ship date?
    ship date unclear until we get final numbers - but I'm aiming for end of this year.
    • Once the DHL fiasco is sorted, what is the expected shipping cost to CONUS? EDIT: My price shipped to CONUS is ~$38
    Have a look at the website for shipping, it's between 28$ - 50$ depending where you are in the US.

Thank you in advance for your answers ectoplasmatic - based off of what I've seen on the Shopify store, Discord, and here, I'm confident this will be a super enjoyable GB to be a part of!
    « Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:18:40 by keebpleeb »

Offline beekey

Is there news about getting the standard PCB? Will there be a GB on CFTKB.com ?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
    For the Discipline 65, how does the plate attach at the top?  I see the leaf spring mounts on the sides and bottom, but what about the top?

--EDITED to make clear I was referring to the 65% case.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2020, 02:21:39 by pixelpusher »

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
    how does the plate attach at the top?  I see the leaf spring mounts on the sides and bottom, but what about the top?

looks like its just top mount. you can see the screw holes in the plate on the F row in between F4 and F5 and so on.
    i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
    how does the plate attach at the top?  I see the leaf spring mounts on the sides and bottom, but what about the top?

looks like its just top mount. you can see the screw holes in the plate on the F row in between F4 and F5 and so on.

I was referring to the Discipline 65%.  Sorry, should have specified.

Offline rafamundez

I wonder whether a polished Cu plate would be visible at all :thinking:

Offline ttttug

Re: [IC] GB until Aug 12th - P.01 & P.02 for Mysterium & Discipline + Special PCBs
    « Reply #48 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 22:20:00 »
    Ordered last night, looking forward to my first higher end 65% !!! Beautiful case for a beautiful board.

Offline GSPADE

• THOK® thok.design
      • THOK®
    Very nice <3