geekhack Community > Keyboards

Cherries that are not the color of glass but pretend they are

(1/2) > >>

FourOhFour:
From reading threads here, the switch that interests me most is the cherry "clear" (yeah, whatever. Those photos are white.) Are there any keyboards around that aren't ugly and large (I'm looking at you Deck) with those switches, or have I just picked out something that I can't get?

And if so, are there any suggestions for something similar? I currently have a SMK-88 with blue switches. I like it, 'cept that it wobbles on my desk, the passthrough USB doesn't work, and I bottom out constantly. And, uh... a couple of the switches have suffered from spilled Orangina and don't feel quite right.

Z Redux:
Unfortunately, the Deck Legend Ice Tactile and Deck Legend Frost Tactile are the only keyboards available in the United States known to have clear stem Cherry MX switches.

According to majestouch (owner of EliteKeyboards), the clears are on their way out. It seems unlikely that they'll be used in any new products.

If you're really determined, you could buy some of the clear stem switches from a component distributor and swap them into a different Cherry MX keyboard. Swapping requires opening switch modules and trading springs and stems for PCB mounted keyboards or desoldering existing switches and soldering in the new ones on plate mounted keyboards.

Digikey sells the clear stem MX switches (part number MX1A-C1NW) for  approximately 96¢ per switch when ordering 100-499 switches.

-Z

ch_123:
I remember someone describing them as being like a slightly less stiff version of the Blacks... Cherrys tactile switches are supposedly not very tactile.

FourOhFour:

--- Quote from: Z Redux;124232 ---If you're really determined, you could buy some of the clear stem switches from a component distributor and swap them into a different Cherry MX keyboard. Swapping requires opening switch modules and trading springs and stems for PCB mounted keyboards or desoldering existing switches and soldering in the new ones on plate mounted keyboards.
--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not that determined. Maybe if my current keyboard were PCB mounted, but it isn't and I really don't feel like re-soldering everything

Z Redux:

--- Quote from: ripster;124292 --- If you find Cherry Clears in the US please post the source.
--- End quote ---

Do you mean in a keyboard, or separately?

-Z

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version