Author Topic: Wooden wrist rest by Eric Barney  (Read 41348 times)

Offline Eric Barney

Wooden wrist rest by Eric Barney
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:32:02 »
Have not posted lately... Here is some of my recent work. First one is ebony & rosewood for a 104K WASD or Filco MJ2.  Second one is ebony & padauk for TKL's Like Leopold, Filco. Both are in the early finishing stages.

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 20:33:34 »
Quote from: Eric Barney;464850
Have not posted lately... Here is some of my recent work. First one is ebony & rosewood for a 104K WASD or Filco MJ2.  Second one is ebony & padauk for TKL's Like Leopold, Filco. Both are in the early finishing stages.

Eric, they look fantastic, especially the ebony/rosewood one. Still saving up for one...
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 23:52:12 »
Just put in an order :)  Hello Walnut and Ebony goodness!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 00:26:14 »
Eric you should look at using Egrips for the feet on the bottom.

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 21:51:26 »
I do use non skid rubber feet on these. They do work rather well, are easy to apply, and are readily available at the Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 22:25:37 »
just put in another order!

cannot wait! highly satisfied with my poker wrist rest :)
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 22:58:41 »
Why can't you just post how much you bought yours for?

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 10:51:07 »
All I have to say is...HOOOOOLY SH*T....these wristrests and headset stands are pieces of amazing art.  The finish just can't be justified by the pictures I've seen so far.

My thoughts on the products along with pics will be coming shortly.  For now, to those who own one, let's all praise Eric for the amazing work!

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 10:55:34 »
Quote from: elton5354;482875
Why can't you just post how much you bought yours for?

Prices will vary based on which keyboard you are customizing your wristrest for.  What I can tell you is, art is not cheap :) and in this case, it was worth every penny.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 14:56:09 »
Those look amazing! Nice work Eric.

I realize that materials and size dictates the price. Can you post up a general range that a wrest or a headphone rack cost? Better price for the set?

They look fantastic. I'm sure they feel even better.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 15:03:21 »
^ Hmm.. I don't think he comes here too often.  It's better if you were to PM him directly or go to OCN (that's Overclock.net).  That was where I first contacted him regarding the wristrest.  Good luck.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:30:55 »
Quote from: Eric Barney;482830
I do use non skid rubber feet on these. They do work rather well, are easy to apply, and are readily available at the Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I could send you a sample of Egrips if you wanted. Its amazing stuff I use it on just about everything, grips on even the slipperiest surfaces. For you use I recommended these, I use a roll because it is cheaper and you can just cut it to any size that you wish.

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 19:43:17 »
I try to check here every day. And if you PM me here, I will reply just as quickly as OCN. There has been more activity (For me.) there, so I have spent more time there.

I like that this forum is more focused on keyboard related stuff, and do not mind being contacted here at all. As far as pricing my work, I am still trying to figure out the best way to continue making these. I have yet to make any two the same way. Each one has been made for the individual buyer. Wrist rests that I made without being ordered in advance have been very slow to sell. I do understand that they are quite expensive when compared to manufactured rests. I do think that they are worth more though. The cost of materials, and the hours of work that goes into each one is evident, once you see it in person. Besides, isn't it nice to get something made just for you?

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 19:49:15 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;484104
I could send you a sample of Egrips if you wanted. Its amazing stuff I use it on just about everything, grips on even the slipperiest surfaces. For you use I recommended these, I use a roll because it is cheaper and you can just cut it to any size that you wish.

Sure, I'll be happy to try your material.  I do like the idea of it being on a roll. I could cut the shape of each pad to fit my rests perfectly. PM me, and I will buy some...

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 20:01:11 »
Here are two wrist rests I made recently for the Poker mini keyboard. One has no tray, as requested by the buyer. The rest with the tray has a kind of wrap-around side rails. An idea based on my hand sometimes wandering off the right edge of my own wrist rest.

Tray-less.  I have at least two more of these on order. This could become a 'standard' due to it's universal nature.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 20:02:51 »
Quote from: Eric Barney;484187
Sure, I'll be happy to try your material.  I do like the idea of it being on a roll. I could cut the shape of each pad to fit my rests perfectly. PM me, and I will buy some...

Lol its not my material just something that I found that has uses that far exceed the original manufacturers intent and does a better job than anything out there that compares to it that I have found, sorry to have made you think that.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 20:08:24 »
Quote from: Eric Barney;484199
Here are two wrist rests I made recently for the Poker mini keyboard. One has no tray, as requested by the buyer. The rest with the tray has a kind of wrap-around side rails. An idea based on my hand sometimes wandering off the right edge of my own wrist rest.

Show Image

Tray-less.  I have at least two more of these on order. This could become a 'standard' due to it's universal nature.

Show Image

Those look great you could easily make the tray less a standard in 3 sizes HHKB/Poker, TKL, Fullsize

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 20:29:20 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;484200
Lol its not my material just something that I found that has uses that far exceed the original manufacturers intent and does a better job than anything out there that compares to it that I have found, sorry to have made you think that.

No need to 'pologize.... I appreciate the information. And if it contributes to a 'better' wrist rest, then that's a good thing.

Offline Barn

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 18:34:27 »
Wow, these are really, really beautiful Eric. I'll be sending you a PM soon.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 19:23:58 »
I am in the process of ordering one for my DOX.

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 21:11:12 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;487608
I am in the process of ordering one for my DOX.

I am in the process of making it!    Was cold today, made for a slow going due to glue not drying.

In the mean time, I took a couple of photos of my Filco on the ebony-rosewood wrist rest

Offline keyboardnoob

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 17:38:19 »
Might finally have the money to grab one of these soon, really sexy wrist rests indeed.
Filco MJ1 TKL MX Brown

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 17:11:15 »
Really do look awesome, have PM'd you :)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 18:36:24 »
Those keyboard rests are so awesome! What about a grip for the Logitech G9X mouse? :D

Offline balanar

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:34:57 »
Omg these are really gorgeous. Been in contact with Barney and he's a real nice guy. Just can't decide what wood combination to use for my wrist wrest!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 16:36:58 »
I just got mine today that fits my DOX and I am in the process of ordering another for my Phantom

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 16:38:31 »
I love how long it is, my current one is too short and is not comfortable :(
Keyboardless

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 16:41:47 »
Quote from: tsangan;503538
I love how long it is, my current one is too short and is not comfortable :(
Do you mean width wise? yea I ordered one with extra width I figured out that the optimal width for me is 4.25in. And if your asking about length i dont have my DOX yet and dont fell like destroying my current setup that I am very accustomed to just to test a wrist rest.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 17:33:16 »
Yeah I was talking about the width, my current one the width is like 2.5-3" I really like that 4.25" setup
Keyboardless

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 17:41:55 »
Quote from: tsangan;503584
Yeah I was talking about the width, my current one the width is like 2.5-3" I really like that 4.25" setup
I had to pay a bit more than normal for the extra width and the wood i choose and a down payment was required because of the nonstandard width and exact measurements to fit the DOX/Poker Case but I think it turned out amazing. I cant wait to see what he comes up with for my Phantom. O and I specifically requested not pads on the bottom so I could add Egrip which applied and work amazing as always!

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 19:40:20 »
Thanks for posting the photos and nice comments P.  It is nice to hear that my work is appreciated!  :D

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 19:41:12 »
Apparently I like spending all of my money on keyboard stuff.  I _WILL_ be buying one of these from you, Eric.  They look beautiful (especially the ebony/cherry and ebony/rosewood ones)
Now I just have to choose a size.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline germy

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 03:51:39 »
Looks real nice! How much for a basic one?

Offline balanar

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 08:33:32 »
Currently having one without the tray made from ebony and rosewood. Can't wait!

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 21:03:13 »
Quote from: balanar;526600
Currently having one without the tray made from ebony and rosewood. Can't wait!

Has it arrived yet? Been quite a while since it was sent out.

Offline Cynez

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 14:11:08 »
I've read that Eric isn't making these anymore.  Does anyone know of somewhere else I can find one like this or any other artisans who can make this same product?  I've been searching for the perfect wrist rest for my HHKB for months and now that I found it they are now collector's items :(
KBT Race w/ Reds | HHKB Pro 2 | KBC Poker w/ Reds | IBM Model M '93 | Noppoo Mini w/ Reds | Filco Majestouch 2 w/ Browns

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 17:58:36 »
Quote from: Cynez;582018
I've read that Eric isn't making these anymore.  Does anyone know of somewhere else I can find one like this or any other artisans who can make this same product?  I've been searching for the perfect wrist rest for my HHKB for months and now that I found it they are now collector's items :(

I still have 3 left. (1) Bubinga with Padauk for TKL with tray  (2) Ebony with Padauk for TKL with tray (3) Rosewood and ebony for Filco 104K with tray, and side rails

Making these the way I have been is not practical. The cost of the wood, and time involved is too costly in every way. Mass production would lower cost, but the unique quality of these would be lost. No two rests I have made are the same. There have also been several improvements in the design that have only increased the work involved.

Other factors like marketing to a larger audience, advanced pricing and ordering need to be done on a website. I do not think it is right to use a forum such as this, or OCN to sell my wares. That is why I have never discussed that on the open forum.
A brief discussion with a forum administrator on OCN helped clarify proper artisan selling and advertising on a forum.

All things considered, it will take some changes, work, and $$$ to continue if I choose to do so. It is very easy to see why true handmade wood products are both hard to find, and are also expensive.

Offline Exort

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 00:15:00 »
Quote from: Eric Barney;582213
I still have 3 left. (1) Bubinga with Padauk for TKL with tray  (2) Ebony with Padauk for TKL with tray (3) Rosewood and ebony for Filco 104K with tray, and side rails

Are you going to sell those?
What is the dimension for the first two (or what keyboard will it fit)?
I'm interested.

Offline Eric Barney

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 18:50:02 »
Quote from: Exort;582516
Are you going to sell those?
What is the dimension for the first two (or what keyboard will it fit)?
I'm interested.

The two TKL size are right around 366 mm, or 14.125 wide. The bubinga has a bit more depth than the ebony but both are over 6" (Tray distance, front to rear.)

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 27 April 2012, 16:11:53 »
Eric, I emailed you regarding lengthening the rest part of my wrist rest or getting a new one without tray and sending this one in. Whichever is cheapest for you is fine by me, if any.

Offline lROOl

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 27 April 2012, 18:08:29 »
Quote from: Eric Barney;583246
The two TKL size are right around 366 mm, or 14.125 wide. The bubinga has a bit more depth than the ebony but both are over 6" (Tray distance, front to rear.)

are you selling anymore of these? Im very interested. send me a PM if you are with the cost of a TKL one for my Leopold