Author Topic: Soarer's WYSE Converter firmware  (Read 107807 times)

Offline ergya

Re: Soarer's WYSE Converter firmware
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 17:14:06 »
...After closing the J1 pins I reflashed the controller with 1.12...

I'm not sure that's right. "1.12" sounds like a version of Soarer's converter firmware. For a Wyse converter I think you should be using version 1.30, as found way down at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

You are absolutely right, I got the link from my friend and I just grabbed whatever was there. I really appreciate your help I owe you a bier :). And now we have a fully functioning WYSE keyboard over USB :P. Big thanks to Soarer too wherever he is. So lessons learned there are 2 firmwares, I believe 1 for terminal WYSE keyboards, 1 for AT/XT...

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 07:39:25 »
@Hypersphere it's a PCE INT'L #840362-01
Thanks. It's an attractive board -- looks brand new.

Offline pivanow

Link Wyse Keyboard
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 08:41:29 »
Working Link keyboard with this converter. It's actually a Wyse 980112-01 model.

Numeric keys will have to be remaped.

214772-0

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
Re: Link Wyse Keyboard
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 17:14:17 »
Working Link keyboard with this converter. It's actually a Wyse 980112-01 model.

Numeric keys will have to be remaped.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Looks very neat and tidy.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline mlev6

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 17:05:21 »
I have a question: is there a modern pcb on the market that fits the wyse/50/60 terminal layouts (like the picture pivanow posted above)? The reason I ask is I really love the condensed 101 key layout on the wyse - it is my favorite over even 96s. I kind of want to keep everything about my wyse keyboard - including the mounting plate etc, but just modernize the pcb to something that can directly hook up usb/ wireless as well as programmable LEDs. Thanks!

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 18:44:41 »
Hi guys, wired this up to my PCE and while it works, it is outputting the wrong scancodes compared to the key on the board (like, M puts out ], numlock puts out 0, it's just all ****ed up). Also, all three lock lights stay lit up, although maybe the locks are just on or something idk. Any ideas? Thanks!

Offline itzklyde

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 10:35:31 »
So you have to make a layout file if you want to change the layout from default. Save it as anything (I called mine wy30.sc) and put it in the same folder as scas (not necessary, but makes it easier), the "tools" folder.

So I have the file wy30.sc in the folder c:\kb\soarer_wyse\tools\wy30.sc

Then I navigate to the tools folder and run the following:
Code: [Select]
scas wy30.sc wy30.scbNow there is wy30.scb in the folder as well.
Then I run scwr to write it to the KB firmware
scwr wy30.scbSince you are in windows, you can combine the two steps with scaswr. This saves a lot of time if you have no errors in your layout file.
scaswr wy30.scb
If you are having trouble building a layout file from nothing, you can always pull the default file from the KB and use that.

Use scrd to read the current config and write it to a file on your computer
scrd wy30.scb
use scdis to disassemble the binary config file into a text file you can read and edit

scdis wy30.scb wy30.sc
open the file in notepad and take a look. This is actually really helpful for me 'cause I lost the original file I used, and so now I don't know what the layout is. looks like I have it set up for either qwerty or dvorak. This is the disassembled file I got back.
# block length: 3
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
# configblock
# config count: 0
# end

# block length: 5
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
layerblock
# count: 1
fn1 1
end

# block length: 28
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 1
# count: 12
1 F1
2 F2
3 F3
4 F4
5 F5
6 F6
7 F7
8 F8
9 F9
0 F10
MINUS F11
EQUAL F12
end

# block length: 70
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect 1
remapblock
layer 0
# count: 33
MINUS LEFT_BRACE
EQUAL RIGHT_BRACE
Q COMMA
W PERIOD
E QUOTE
R P
T Y
Y F
U G
I C
O R
P L
LEFT_BRACE SLASH
RIGHT_BRACE EQUAL
S O
D E
F U
G I
H D
J H
K T
L N
SEMICOLON S
QUOTE MINUS
Z SEMICOLON
X Q
C J
V K
B X
N B
COMMA W
PERIOD V
SLASH Z
end

# block length: 18
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 0
# count: 7
SCROLL_LOCK SELECT_1
CAPS_LOCK LALT
LALT FN1
HOME PAGE_DOWN
PAGE_DOWN PAGE_UP
PRINTSCREEN DELETE
PAD_COMMA LGUI
end

You can use that to remap your KB, but it should work with a default layout as-is.
I know people hate newbie questions when it's easy for you but I'd really love some help if possible.
So, I'm just trying to check if some keyboards work. I got it working last night for a min but I'm not sure what I did to make it stop.
I have a Teensy 2.0.
I have Teensy loader.
I have Arduino.
I have Soarers converter.
HID Listen shows it doing stuff.

So I flash the converter firmware first without the keyboard connected. Then I input these commands from @DorkVader. Then I connect the keyboard? Can anyone just let me know which programs need to be opened? I would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 December 2022, 10:48:57 by itzklyde »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 13:18:08 »
So you have to make a layout file if you want to change the layout from default. Save it as anything (I called mine wy30.sc) and put it in the same folder as scas (not necessary, but makes it easier), the "tools" folder.

scwr wy30.scbSince you are in windows, you can combine the two steps with scaswr. This saves a lot of time if you have no errors in your layout file.
scaswr wy30.scb
If you are having trouble building a layout file from nothing, you can always pull the default file from the KB and use that.

scrd wy30.scb
use scdis to disassemble the binary config file into a text file you can read and edit

scdis wy30.scb wy30.sc
open the file in notepad and take a look. This is actually really helpful for me 'cause I lost the original file I used, and so now I don't know what the layout is. looks like I have it set up for either qwerty or dvorak. This is the disassembled file I got back.
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
# configblock
# end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
layerblock
fn1 1
end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 1
1 F1
2 F2
3 F3
4 F4
5 F5
6 F6
7 F7
8 F8
9 F9
0 F10
MINUS F11
EQUAL F12
end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect 1
remapblock
layer 0
MINUS LEFT_BRACE
EQUAL RIGHT_BRACE
Q COMMA
W PERIOD
E QUOTE
R P
T Y
Y F
U G
I C
O R
P L
LEFT_BRACE SLASH
RIGHT_BRACE EQUAL
S O
D E
F U
G I
H D
J H
K T
L N
SEMICOLON S
QUOTE MINUS
Z SEMICOLON
X Q
C J
V K
B X
N B
COMMA W
PERIOD V
SLASH Z
end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 0
SCROLL_LOCK SELECT_1
CAPS_LOCK LALT
LALT FN1
HOME PAGE_DOWN
PAGE_DOWN PAGE_UP
PRINTSCREEN DELETE
PAD_COMMA LGUI
end

You can use that to remap your KB, but it should work with a default layout as-is.
I know people hate newbie questions when it's easy for you but I'd really love some help if possible.
So, I'm just trying to check if some keyboards work. I got it working last night for a min but I'm not sure what I did to make it stop.
I have a Teensy 2.0.
I have Teensy loader.
I have Arduino.

So I flash the converter firmware first without the keyboard connected. Then I input these commands from @DorkVader. Then I connect the keyboard? Can anyone just let me know which programs need to be opened? I would really appreciate it.
To begin, just flash the Soarer's firmware, connect keyboard & try it. It should work without doing anything additional. After that, if you want to reprogram some keys, we can work on that. But, again, your board/convertor should work with only the Soarer's Convertor flashed to the Teensy.
REΛLFORCE

Offline itzklyde

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 11:54:32 »

scaswr wy30.scb

scrd wy30.scb

scdis wy30.scb wy30.sc
ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
# configblock
# end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
layerblock
fn1 1
end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 1
1 F1
2 F2
3 F3
4 F4
5 F5
6 F6
7 F7
8 F8
9 F9
0 F10
MINUS F11
EQUAL F12
end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect 1
remapblock
layer 0
MINUS LEFT_BRACE
EQUAL RIGHT_BRACE
Q COMMA
W PERIOD
E QUOTE
R P
T Y
Y F
U G
I C
O R
P L
LEFT_BRACE SLASH
RIGHT_BRACE EQUAL
S O
D E
F U
G I
H D
J H
K T
L N
SEMICOLON S
QUOTE MINUS
Z SEMICOLON
X Q
C J
V K
B X
N B
COMMA W
PERIOD V
SLASH Z
end

ifset any
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any
remapblock
layer 0
SCROLL_LOCK SELECT_1
CAPS_LOCK LALT
LALT FN1
HOME PAGE_DOWN
PAGE_DOWN PAGE_UP
PRINTSCREEN DELETE
PAD_COMMA LGUI
end

I have a Teensy 2.0.
I have Teensy loader.
I have Arduino.

To begin, just flash the Soarer's firmware, connect keyboard & try it. It should work without doing anything additional. After that, if you want to reprogram some keys, we can work on that. But, again, your board/convertor should work with only the Soarer's Convertor flashed to the Teensy.

Are you saying this is all I should need to do? All I want is to be able to test them to see if they work. Layout doesn't matter. I've done this and also followed the instructions above with little luck. After doing the commands from above, sometimes it'll work but all it does is press a random key(s) automatically without me doing anything. My brother wired and soldered it but was pretty confident he did it right. Would a messed up wire layout make it act like that? And I just need to flash the Wyseverter file and nothing else? Do I need the controller and also USB one?

I've tried many different times many different ways and I'm not sure. I have multiple Wyse keyboards and cords too so it's not a bad keyboard/cord. At this point all I can think of is a bad wire layout but I don't know.

Couple screens from Hid Listen

If you can think of anything, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your reply and help. If you can help me figure it out, I'll send you some money for a coffee or something.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 10:03:46 »
This response makes it look like the Soarer's is properly flashed & working.
294776-0
Keep in mind that I have experience with Soarer's but none with the Wyse converter & know nothing about Wyse keyboards.

Are you using a pullup resistor?
REΛLFORCE

Offline itzklyde

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 14:08:58 »
This response makes it look like the Soarer's is properly flashed & working.
(Attachment Link)
Keep in mind that I have experience with Soarer's but none with the Wyse converter & know nothing about Wyse keyboards.

Are you using a pullup resistor?

EDIT: So, apparently on some of those keyboards the wires inside are backwards. If anyone comes across this thread and can't get it to work, they might be reversed.
Only do this if you wired it right but it doesn't work.

Black -> Data -> PD0
Red -> +5V -> VCC
Green -> Clock -> PD1
Yellow -> GND -> GND

Found it here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to-mod-old-wyse-keyboards-terminal-connector/99182/6
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2023, 12:07:58 by itzklyde »

Offline geekera

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 28 May 2023, 10:44:42 »
hi all, super new here. I've always loved old clickity keyboards and we had this old Verizon data room at work. They were getting rid of everything but I found the last Wyse 85 Gate Array and want to make it work. I'm not into computers at all (not even gaming), I don't even know how to code, I just want to use my clicky keyboard. I read through this and a couple other threads - can someone please explain to me like I'm 5 years old?

They don't make Teensy 2.0 anymore, is there anything else I can buy that will work?  I have the phone cable-like string that came with it.  Do I need to physically buy anything else for this project?  (What is soldering, is it like mini welding - will I need physical tools?)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 28 May 2023, 13:06:28 »

They don't make Teensy 2.0 anymore

I don't know anything about WYSE, but although PJRC stopped making Teensy 2.0, there is still plenty of "new old stock" available on ebay.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07