Author Topic: Question for more experienced keyboard people  (Read 3104 times)

Offline SqrtofPi

Question for more experienced keyboard people
« on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 18:28:36 »
Hello, I'm a new user who is looking to purchase a new keyboard for my mother, who is currently using a keyboard that she found in the trash at her work (I know, it's pretty bad).  Money isn't really a problem to a reasonable extent (No solid gold or stuff), although her current keyboard might suggest otherwise.  She really wants a keyboard that is small, around 67 keys, I think, but does have a delete key.  She has issues with ergonomics on larger or full sized keyboards, even the 87 key ones.  We were looking at one on Massdrop called the "Redscarf II+ Ver. C" that was over 50% off and looked like something that she would like, but we couldn't quite decode the language being used to describe the options.  She was looking around at switches, and the MX Browns looked good, but anything would be an improvement.  If anyone has any suggestions for a keyboard that sounds like this, please tell me.
Thank you.

(Link to the keyboard on Mass drop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-68-key-custom-keyboard-kit )

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Question for more experienced keyboard people
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 18:48:57 »

She has issues with ergonomics on larger or full sized keyboards, even the 87 key ones. 

That is a real stumbling block, the "TKL" or ~87 is the go-to small size for conventional users.

Anything smaller is a specialty item.

MX brown switches with O-rings might make her very happy.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 19:24:57 »
The one on Massdrop is a kit. You'd need to build it or find someone to do it for you.

How about this?

http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/
REΛLFORCE

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 20:08:32 »
What are the ergonomic difficulties she has with the larger keyboards? Is it to do with mouse placement?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline SqrtofPi

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 13:21:31 »
What are the ergonomic difficulties she has with the larger keyboards? Is it to do with mouse placement?

Yes, the issues with ergonomics are due to mouse placement, and as the keyboard is for a small fold out keyboard tray under a desk, it can't be too large.  The main limiting factor is that not only does her keyboard have to be on the tray, but also her mouse pad and mouse.

The one on Massdrop is a kit. You'd need to build it or find someone to do it for you.

How about this?

http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

That looks like it would work, I'll ask her when she gets home from work
Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 13:48:20 »
Perhaps an orthodox idea, but a split keyboard, like the ErgoDox EZ, and a trackball between the halves? (or at the side). The EZ is reasonably compact, and the trackball has the advantage that she wouldn't have to move it, thus, it needs less space too.

On the other hand, this setup may be a change too big, all at once. So... a Planck, or similar, perhaps? Though, that may not be the easiest thing to find, especially if you don't want to assemble it yourself.

(Brown are nice, btw)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 16:09:47 »
Perhaps an orthodox idea, but a split keyboard, like the ErgoDox EZ, and a trackball between the halves? (or at the side). The EZ is reasonably compact, and the trackball has the advantage that she wouldn't have to move it, thus, it needs less space too.

On the other hand, this setup may be a change too big, all at once. So... a Planck, or similar, perhaps? Though, that may not be the easiest thing to find, especially if you don't want to assemble it yourself.

(Brown are nice, btw)

It's gonna depend on how old --Mother-- is.

Because older people fall into a rhythm they're reluctant to change..

Ergodox is most likely be too progressive..

Even for the majority of the kids on GH,  they simply arn't ready to go Ergo.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 21:21:13 »
What about one of those sculpted keyboards?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 21:24:30 »

(Brown are nice, btw)

It's gonna depend on how old --Mother-- is.

Because older people fall into a rhythm they're reluctant to change..

Ergodox is most likely be too progressive..

Even for the majority of the kids on GH,  they simply arn't ready to go Ergo.

I am not a kid, and I resemble that remark.   :p  ANSI for me please!
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 02:53:49 »
The first keyboard that came to mind was the Leopold FC660M. It's a 60%, but it has a dedicated delete key and arrow keys. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1496

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 02:56:16 »
^^ +1 what about a topre version of the board?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 07:21:36 »

Because older people fall into a rhythm they're reluctant to change.

I am not a kid, and I resemble that remark. ANSI for me please!

Muscle memory is powerful.

One day, if I break away from working with numbers and needing a numpad, I may give Colemak a go, but that's it.

I have a laptop and maintain laptops for 3 other people - all with different keyboard layouts. It is very annoying.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 16:22:58 »
Actually, the FC660M is the board that came to mind here.  Also the FC750R.  This one doe not require the use of function keys for the F key row or for the arrows, among others.  This would be a TKL board.  I think the browns would be a good choice because they do not differ too much from the standard rubber dome keys as far as resistance and tactility.   If you got her a board with something like cherry black or cherry blue, it may be too awkward for her.

Who says it has to be mechanical, although once she gets used to it she will probably prefer it....
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline SqrtofPi

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 23:44:10 »
Thanks for all the help in choosing a keyboard!  This forum is really welcoming.  We're pretty sure we'll end up choosing the Matias Mini Quiet Pro, as it has page up and down keys, and the delete key is in a similar spot to her current keyboard.  Does anyone have one of them or have used one?  If so, what do the switches feel like?  If no one has any experience, then I'll assume they are like MX Browns because of the quietness...

Thanks again for all the help, and thanks to Tactile for the suggestion.
 :thumb:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 00:14:08 »
Thanks for all the help in choosing a keyboard!  This forum is really welcoming.  We're pretty sure we'll end up choosing the Matias Mini Quiet Pro, as it has page up and down keys, and the delete key is in a similar spot to her current keyboard.  Does anyone have one of them or have used one?  If so, what do the switches feel like?  If no one has any experience, then I'll assume they are like MX Browns because of the quietness...

Thanks again for all the help, and thanks to Tactile for the suggestion.
 :thumb:
The Quiet Pro uses Matias Quiet Click. They are pretty good switches. They're reasonably smooth, very tactile, and quiet. The dampening also makes them a little easier on the fingers as tactile Alps usually bottom out quite hard.

Offline Dyaems

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 02:49:08 »
Magicforce/Qisan 68-key is another option if you want a cheap keyboard.

B.face X2
  65g Zealios

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 02:57:35 »
Quiet Clicks are nicer than browns, smoother with a bigger tactile bump.  The extra nav keys are handy too - good choice!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod