Author Topic: Keyboard & Co. GMK (COMPLETE)  (Read 305617 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Keyboard & Co. GMK
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 20:14:46 »
Should take about 1 month with the go ahead!

Oh that's awesome! 1 month is quite fast, can't wait!

That's assuming that the sample is good this time

Offline axtran

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 07:22:15 »
Worth it for custom colors, IMO. Happier than everyone just rehashing beige a billion times with like a few mods here and there. :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline slushi

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 13:11:40 »
Sadly I was gone for a while from GH. I remembered I was watching the IC. Had no idea this went past pre-order phase already. If anyone is interested in giving up their pre-order (if that is even allowed), Let me know. I would love to snag this set.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 14:04:32 »
Sadly I was gone for a while from GH. I remembered I was watching the IC. Had no idea this went past pre-order phase already. If anyone is interested in giving up their pre-order (if that is even allowed), Let me know. I would love to snag this set.

I believe there will definitely be extras on originative once it's out

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:05:22 »
The new samples are on their way to me from Sherry for review :)

Should be here by the end of the week or early next.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:12:05 »

Awesome news!

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 10:34:08 »

YESSSS

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 20:51:13 »
Took a couple pictures of the new samples, not too happy with the turnout as the gray almost looks the same as round 1 which is more of an off white in person.

Best route now may be to just use a nice gray that already exists.
I'll wait for opinions.

Will take some more tomorrow to try & show off the green more.
Don't really have any white lighting so I had to try & fix the jpeg post since I can't shoot raw at the moment.
It does look a bit pale, not sure if that's good or bad though.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 18:27:16 by switchnollie »

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 21:21:06 »
The fact that the color is the same and that means another delay is very disappointing.

Is 2B too dark?

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 21:22:13 »
Took a couple pictures of the new samples, not too happy with the turnout as the gray almost looks the same as round 1 which is more of an off white in person.

Show Image

I'll wait for opinions.

Don't really have any white lighting so I had to try & fix the jpeg post since I can't shoot raw at the moment.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

uh... that color is the same, and i'm seeing this from a calibrated monitor as well.

TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline inosint

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 21:43:27 »
I would rather wait and get the color right than settle for off-white or the wrong gray

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 22:20:44 »
trolled by gmk...  :(

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 23:06:16 »
GMK seriously needs to hurry up with getting the colours right.

We have been over 4 months since the group buy ended and have not entered production

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 00:39:21 »
GMK are you kidding me?

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 01:46:57 »
i will wait patiently. i know the custom color sample would need more time to correct the real keycap's color. This would cause unexpected delay to some extent.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:13:18 »

Show Image

I'll wait for opinions.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Got a few questions about the process here. Sorry if it sounds harsh. I'm just interested in whats going on behind the scenes as from my side of the computer screen I can't draw any opinions on the quality of the match.

This mock up and on the GB page on KBDIST (which has been taken down) have the exact pantone color codes listed.

What specification for color was given to GMK for them to work against? Do you know if they have pantone color chart to work against? I would assume so. If not, was it ever suggested that we buy them the specific color chips/cards?

From the two samples that have come in I haven't seen them placed against a pantone color card. How are the mistakes in color being measured/quantified, personal eyeballing of color? Against which colors  and under what lighting? How are these inaccuracies being communicated with GMK?

How would a stock grey from GMK be chosen? Do Originative have the GMK color ring and pantone colors? I can't see how a stock color can be a closer match than one of the two current samples. Would people get a chance for a refund if the colors change from what was sold in the GB?

One worry I have is that when the colors are finalised that the contrast is still really poor. Is there no way to get a double shot sample made of grey on turquoise?

What is the cost of getting samples? In the future is this something that could be done at the IC phase? I'm guessing a deposit has to be made before GMK are willing to manufacture the custom colors?

Finally, it's my personal preference to wait until the colors from the original mock up are done right. Delays happen and as long as there is constant communication people are happy to wait.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:15:14 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:30:02 »
my vote is for 2M or GR1

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:39:07 »
Unfortunate that we got trolled by GMK. I'm okay with waiting a reasonable amount of time, I rather have it done well than fast, but when they take like 2 months to ship over like 2 caps for a sample of a custom colour suddenly waiting becomes a lot less appealing.

Judging by the colours provided by Redbanshee and as someone who owns the shoes I'd say GR1 is pretty accurate - of course it's hard to tell from a picture and I wouldn't put my absolute word in on that but it looks to be a close match.

As said, if samples can make their way there in a timely fashion this time around, then we're good. Else (or either way) maybe give GR1 a try, 2M might be okay too but looks too muted in my opinion.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 11:15:21 »
My vote is take as long as it takes to get the right look by your standard as the creator, I don't mind waiting, I will start to get impatient at about the 2 year mark, so really, don't rush and don't worry about it.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 11:44:17 »
My vote is take as long as it takes to get the right look by your standard as the creator, I don't mind waiting, I will start to get impatient at about the 2 year mark, so really, don't rush and don't worry about it.

+1

Offline poolside

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:29:11 »
I also don't mind waiting until the colors are what they are supposed to be. Better done right than sorry!

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:32:12 »
The fact that the color is the same and that means another delay is very disappointing.

Is 2B too dark?

2B is too dark.

The goal here isn't actually grey, but it's like a silver looking color. I can attest to all the samples I have with GMK that none of these match the actual color we need.

Jon and I are extremely sorry for the delay and how the samples came out. We definitely tried to provide a new color. I think it's best if we get a physical object instead of colors through the monitor-calibration.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:36:01 by sherryton »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:36:06 »
I'm happy to wait for the colours to be right but the process needs to hurry up a bit....

Right now if it takes 2 weeks for samples just to be shipped (excluding manufacture) we could be in for potentially months more of delay

Nathan raises some important questions as well - GMK should really be sending a doubleshot sample of the custom colours.
It would be a huge shame if we went through all this wait getting the colours right only to find out that they don't work well when doubleshot (whether that is contrast or colour mixing)

Offline shower_king

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 22:01:38 »

Show Image

I'll wait for opinions.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Got a few questions about the process here. Sorry if it sounds harsh. I'm just interested in whats going on behind the scenes as from my side of the computer screen I can't draw any opinions on the quality of the match.

Show Image

This mock up and on the GB page on KBDIST (which has been taken down) have the exact pantone color codes listed.

What specification for color was given to GMK for them to work against? Do you know if they have pantone color chart to work against? I would assume so. If not, was it ever suggested that we buy them the specific color chips/cards?

From the two samples that have come in I haven't seen them placed against a pantone color card. How are the mistakes in color being measured/quantified, personal eyeballing of color? Against which colors  and under what lighting? How are these inaccuracies being communicated with GMK?

How would a stock grey from GMK be chosen? Do Originative have the GMK color ring and pantone colors? I can't see how a stock color can be a closer match than one of the two current samples. Would people get a chance for a refund if the colors change from what was sold in the GB?

One worry I have is that when the colors are finalised that the contrast is still really poor. Is there no way to get a double shot sample made of grey on turquoise?

What is the cost of getting samples? In the future is this something that could be done at the IC phase? I'm guessing a deposit has to be made before GMK are willing to manufacture the custom colors?

Finally, it's my personal preference to wait until the colors from the original mock up are done right. Delays happen and as long as there is constant communication people are happy to wait.  :thumb:

hi , i fully appreciate your worry. Due to some experience on custom color of GMK GB, i think i could explain some aspects on GMK'S custom color from my standpoint.

For example Pantone 317U, i give GMK the color's RGB Values(R:174, G:233, B:232), they could decide the right color. Then GMK will give the 3D renders of this color, but they create the render with pantone 317U at HEX/HMTL:AEE9E8. HEX is another kind description of RGB Values.
When done double shot keycaps, GMK would choose the different (including right and not-so-right) mixed proportion of Pantone 317U at the RGB values. Even at the same RGB Values, different mixed proportion of ABS materials could cause different vision such as difference between new and old samples.
Thus making the custom color keycaps' color to meet the sheme of the desiger is very complex and time-consuming.

As for the taking samples for correct color of keycaps, GMK would provide samples for those GBs which have paid already. Thus, there is slim possibility to get samples at IC stage.However , GMK Yuri is exception. Tombery has got samples at IC
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2017, 00:04:32 by shower_king »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:07:58 »
pls no GMK troll this time around

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 23:13:17 »
pls no GMK troll this time around

Show Image

Someone send this shoe to GMK so they can't have an excuse to troll us with wrong colors  :-X :-[

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 18:44:32 »

Show Image

I'll wait for opinions.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

hi , i fully appreciate your worry. Due to some experience on custom color of GMK GB, i think i could explain some aspects on GMK'S custom color from my standpoint.
Show Image

For example Pantone 317U, i give GMK the color's RGB Values(R:174, G:233, B:232), they could decide the right color. Then GMK will give the 3D renders of this color, but they create the render with pantone 317U at HEX/HMTL:AEE9E8. HEX is another kind description of RGB Values.
When done double shot keycaps, GMK would choose the different (including right and not-so-right) mixed proportion of Pantone 317U at the RGB values. Even at the same RGB Values, different mixed proportion of ABS materials could cause different vision such as difference between new and old samples.
Thus making the custom color keycaps' color to meet the sheme of the desiger is very complex and time-consuming.

As for the taking samples for correct color of keycaps, GMK would provide samples for those GBs which have paid already. Thus, there is slim possibility to get samples at IC stage.However , GMK Yuri is exception. Tombery has got samples at IC

Thanks for the knowledge share, it's appreciated  :thumb:

Offline Cotay

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 14:46:50 »
So what was the decision on this? Are we waiting for new samples or going with GR1?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 15:17:02 »
So what was the decision on this? Are we waiting for new samples or going with GR1?

Cotay, switchnollie has purchased some Pantone colorways and have sent them to GMK. GMK should receive them shortly afterwards, and we should be able to proceed.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 23:09:56 »

Cotay, switchnollie has purchased some Pantone colorways and have sent them to GMK. GMK should receive them shortly afterwards, and we should be able to proceed.

LOL, considering the failed samples, i guess we had to to this. thanks a lot for the update!
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:47:14 »

Did anyone get any pictures comparing the samples to the Pantone color chips?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 13:07:40 »

Should be borrowing an A6k today from a buddy, will take some najs pics for you :dogebrow:

I've compared the caps to the swatches & GMK using RGB value is what i believe made it look this way as they look like what you see keyboard layout editor which uses RGB.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 13:28:10 »

Should be borrowing an A6k today from a buddy, will take some najs pics for you :dogebrow:

I've compared the caps to the swatches & GMK using RGB value is what i believe made it look this way as they look like what you see keyboard layout editor which uses RGB.

Thanks broh, really appreciate it :dogeonebrow:

Hope you can get the next sample to be bang on  :thumb:

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 17:12:03 »
Colors are not super accurate since I did the white balance myself but you should be able to see the keycaps being less saturated than the Pantone which is even more noticeable in person.

Returned home last night & reviewed the colors a bit.
Wasn't able to get Cool Gray 1 XGC but Cool Gray 1 U is very close to it.
Very tempted to go a tad bit darker with Cool Gray 2 U, maybe Cool Gray 3 U.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 17:41:29 »
Colors are not super accurate since I did the white balance myself but you should be able to see the keycaps being less saturated than the Pantone which is even more noticeable in person.
Show Image

Really like the color of the keycap in the first picture

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 19:18:46 »
The Tiffany is really good, I think 2U for the grey might be the best too.

Offline jjnist

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 22:29:14 »
This set going to be nice :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline shower_king

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 23:11:01 »
the tiffany color keycap in real ones is better than i expected, am i the only one ?

Offline pomk

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 03:52:33 »

When comparing colors it's important to have a light source with a high CRI rating (95+) and as diffused light as possible. Especially with the semi-gloss finish on GMK caps compared to the very matte finish on the pantone chips, if the light is not completely diffused the color of the caps can be a bit lighter (and thus less saturated) due to micro-reflections. A good place for a photoshoot for comparing color would be an open field on a cloudy day.  :thumb:

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 00:52:50 »

When comparing colors it's important to have a light source with a high CRI rating (95+) and as diffused light as possible. Especially with the semi-gloss finish on GMK caps compared to the very matte finish on the pantone chips, if the light is not completely diffused the color of the caps can be a bit lighter (and thus less saturated) due to micro-reflections. A good place for a photoshoot for comparing color would be an open field on a cloudy day.  :thumb:

Very interesting :)
I guess it would be better to go with the slightly darker Cool Gray 2 U then.

Sending the swatches to GMK tomorrow :thumb:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 09:46:41 »
Sending the swatches to GMK tomorrow :thumb:

Au revoir, swotches swatches  ^-^

Offline wodan

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 23:30:45 »
This made me giggle ... did you see how the Rad-Away keycaps turned out made by Devlin?

And we're talking about nuances of pantone codes here :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 23:39:56 »
This made me giggle ... did you see how the Rad-Away keycaps turned out made by Devlin?

Sweet jesus it's hideous! That's a real balls up :confused:

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 23:48:05 »

Sweet jesus it's hideous! That's a real balls up :confused:

Yikes! Makes Chronicler look like a bulls-eye!

Offline LDobler

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:41:12 »
Noooo, I was so hyped for that dark green/orange :(((

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 05:27:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

What a shame.... I hope Devlin will make it right

Offline axtran

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 06:58:26 »
Still waiting... sitting on a NerD 60 PCB in Mint for this! ;)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 08:17:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2017, 08:19:46 by Vigrith »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 09:51:58 »
GR1 is basically a white, and won't look anything like the requested gray. The samples are much much closer to the desired color.
keyboards.

Offline poolside

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:23:11 »
Here is my (edit: useless) ghetto comparison of 7471U, Tiffany bag picture from eBay and GMK sample against each other:

161243-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:26:46 by poolside »