Author Topic: [IC] DSA Scientific (April 10 launch)  (Read 75239 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (vendor)
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 16:09:16 »
Great. Would be interested,but can't afford it.
Reminds me of these absolute units right here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/TI-82.png

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 08:05:42 »
This will go perfect with my new work board! (I'm an engineer) would certainly be interested in an EU proxy as well.

Same. Maybe mykeyboard.eu ?

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 09:47:00 »
This will go perfect with my new work board! (I'm an engineer) would certainly be interested in an EU proxy as well.

That's the plan

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (April launch)
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 10:18:44 »

That's the plan

I love you

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 11:16:40 »

That's the plan

I love you

Thanks

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:11:20 »

That's the plan

I love you

Thanks

Wow missed opportunity to say “I know”…

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:15:05 »

That's the plan

I love you

Thanks

Wow missed opportunity to say “I know”…

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:40:39 »

That's the plan

I love you
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:57:36 by voodoo6k »

Offline Formulaik

• Trained not to spit in the fan
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 20:59:44 »
Absolutely gorgeous. Very sophisticated.

Offline Telstar

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 15:18:26 »
This will be my first DSA set :)))

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 13:13:52 »

Excellent

Thank you!

We're still aiming for an April Launch (after GMK SkIIdata). Some minor tweaks:

- Adding a homing barred down-arrow key (as suggested by @BrotherBobwhite). Useful for your Vim and 75% layouts
- Adding 1u Shift and End keys for Ducky Pocket default legends (it's back!)

Offline BrotherBobwhite

« Reply #211 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 14:39:55 »

Excellent

Thank you!

- Adding a homing barred down-arrow key (as suggested by @BrotherBobwhite). Useful for your Vim and 75% layouts

Awesome!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 13:09:05 »

Excellent

Thank you!

Awesome!

Offline .

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 14:39:45 »
Can't wait to get this! :D

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 14:44:56 »
Uniform profiles and ortho boards, name a more iconic duo. I save all my dsa and xda caps for my plancks.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline bobtheguitar

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 18:06:00 »
[First post to say:] Excited for this set!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 23:30:31 »
Updated the renders to correct some mistakes and reflect upcoming kit changes (minor).

Our priority is covering these special keyboards with a single modifier kit (each):
  • 75% and 65% (eg. Race 3, WhiteFox)
  • Ortho
  • 40%

So we are moving the 1.5u '2nd' and 'Clear' keys to the TKL kit, along with a 1.75u 'Shift' (and some 1u's...)  :eek:

With these changes, you will cover most keyboards without needing a 'specialty' kit!

As stated before, we're also adding a barred down-arrow to all arrow clusters. Thinkpad users rejoice!

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 00:28:26 »
Hyped!

I was about to lament how many duplicate keys I'd have if I got both the ortho and 40% kits, but then I realized I could field an ortho board with the 40% kit plus the excellent novelties! So count me in for both of those and probably a numpad for good measure  :D

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 03:33:57 »
Nice color combination.  :thumb:
I won't miss it.

Offline fn

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 05:39:50 »

So we are moving the 1.5u '2nd' and 'Clear' keys to the TKL kit, along with a 1.75u 'Shift' (and some 1u's...)  :eek:

With these changes, you will cover most keyboards without needing a 'specialty' kit!

:thumb: this is great news! thank you. was going to need the speciality kit to cover 65% because of that shift

Offline verstandinvictus

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 13:02:44 »
I don't suppose there's any chance at this point of 1.5u versions of the 1.25u novelties? Would go great on my Sol.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 15:48:06 »
I was just thinking about an alternative set of Alphas in the dark colour from the “blue” set, to combine with the “teal” set. I know this won’t be kosher, but I’d love a dark set of alphas, slightly lighter modifiers and all those cool teals and novelties...

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 22:29:49 »
I don't suppose there's any chance at this point of 1.5u versions of the 1.25u novelties? Would go great on my Sol.

That's ErgoDox, right? There is no plan for ErgoDox...

As mentioned before, you could try sourcing some blank 1.5u's from pimpmykeyboard. Sorry :(

I was just thinking about an alternative set of Alphas in the dark colour from the “blue” set, to combine with the “teal” set. I know this won’t be kosher, but I’d love a dark set of alphas, slightly lighter modifiers and all those cool teals and novelties...

Then this is exactly what you are looking for: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-black-white-keyset/

I guess it could work! The "grey" mods of the teal set are a very dark grey/brown (see DSA Wolf mark). In dark lighting, they are quite close to black.

Offline verstandinvictus

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 12:39:05 »

I mean, yeah, it more or less is. And I get that there's no Ergodox set or official support; that's fine, I'll manage with what's on offer either way (currently have Wolf Mark covering a Zen, and that barely had ortho support, let alone ergo). I just think it would be great to see more sets with 1.5u novelties in general, and the "FLO SCI ENG DRG LOG LN" 1.25u novelties you've added a) are appealing and b) don't seem like they'd be hard to add as 1.5u or raise the price of the kit that much (though I could be wrong there, I've never run a GB).

I'll still buy the novelties kit either way for the 1u stuff, it'd just be nice to have one or two keys in 1.5u in the teal color for accents (since it's not possible to order that color blank from PMK as it's a Pantone match). I'll probably pick up the 40% kit instead of the Ortho kit for that same reason (FN and 2ND in accent-color 1.5u, and most of the same 1u keys). And then I'll do that thing I always do where I buy the TKL kit just to get 1.5u mod-color TAB and \|, and the numpad kit for 2U stuff and "just in case"... yeah, ergo is fun. At least in DSA I don't have to worry about row profile!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2019, 12:41:35 by verstandinvictus »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 13:50:49 »

I mean, yeah, it more or less is. And I get that there's no Ergodox set or official support; that's fine, I'll manage with what's on offer either way (currently have Wolf Mark covering a Zen, and that barely had ortho support, let alone ergo). I just think it would be great to see more sets with 1.5u novelties in general, and the "FLO SCI ENG DRG LOG LN" 1.25u novelties you've added a) are appealing and b) don't seem like they'd be hard to add as 1.5u or raise the price of the kit that much (though I could be wrong there, I've never run a GB).

I'll still buy the novelties kit either way for the 1u stuff, it'd just be nice to have one or two keys in 1.5u in the teal color for accents (since it's not possible to order that color blank from PMK as it's a Pantone match). I'll probably pick up the 40% kit instead of the Ortho kit for that same reason (FN and 2ND in accent-color 1.5u, and most of the same 1u keys). And then I'll do that thing I always do where I buy the TKL kit just to get 1.5u mod-color TAB and \|, and the numpad kit for 2U stuff and "just in case"... yeah, ergo is fun. At least in DSA I don't have to worry about row profile!

Sounds complicated!

The larger keys (1.25u+) hike the price considerably, especially in low quantities. We're already stretching it with 1.25u's, as the original novelties were only 1u.

I tried including some ambiguous pieces like '2nd' and 'Clear'. As you mentioned, the 40's kit has three ambiguous 1.5u's as well. It would be ideal to offer blank kits and novelties in many different sizes, but whether we can pull enough numbers is too uncertain...

The multiple kits approach is a double edge sword: you want to fraction the kits in order to offer buyers the chance to get only what they want; however that means less orders of each kit, and below a certain threshold (50~100 orders) you lose all your savings as the price per key shoots up exponentially. On the other hand, when you offer larger kits, the price per key goes down but you have to cut down to the essentials.

In light of this, we're thinking of combining the TKL + Specialty kits and Ortho + 40's kits (which has a lot of overlap) into two main modifier sets. If I'm not mistaken, that's 11 1.5u's total. At 50 orders, the Specialty and 40's are expensive, and since our vendor hasn't implemented dynamic pricing (like Massdrop), we may be forced to combine them. Waiting on that final quote from SP.

Offline verstandinvictus

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 14:25:03 »
Ooh. Combining down to two modsets would be a plus for me - better chance the odder stuff will hit MOQ, and ultimately probably a lower price overall due to deduplication and wider MOQ bucketing.

I took the time to map out my Sol: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/3d770f82ebfc2b070e470adf9dee3a4d . Works fine with your existing kits, but there are a couple cases where I'll be buying whole kits for 2-4 keys (which I'm fine doing, and have done before, but of course I'd welcome being able to avoid it!).

It's weird to me that 1.25 and 1.5 are so much more expensive; I wonder if SP has fewer molds or something for those. But I totally get you, and yeah, the ambiguous, thematically appropriate legends are much appreciated (and the novelty set, currently, is still one of the most usable and thematic I've seen).

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 15:34:46 »

I took the time to map out my Sol: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/3d770f82ebfc2b070e470adf9dee3a4d . Works fine with your existing kits, but there are a couple cases where I'll be buying whole kits for 2-4 keys (which I'm fine doing, and have done before, but of course I'd welcome being able to avoid it!).

Does the KLE have ready layouts for known keyboards, e.g. 65% or 75%, so I don’t have to do everything by hand?

Offline verstandinvictus

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 16:29:28 »
Does the KLE have ready layouts for known keyboards, e.g. 65% or 75%, so I don’t have to do everything by hand?

Under "preset" there are some, but not that many. I don't know if it's been updated in a while - I remember hearing the dev had abandoned it, but I don't know the details.

You'll also find that for DIY and GB kit keyboards, the designer will often publish a KLE string, sometimes in their QMK readme or their IC thread, which can be pasted under the "raw data" tab to load that layout into KLE.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 17:05:49 »
Ooh. Combining down to two modsets would be a plus for me -

We're contemplating something like this:

Basically, combining TKL + Specialty and Ortho + 40's. This is better bang for your buck. Upgradability, etc.

Comments appreciated, as usual.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 17:09:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Basically, combining TKL + Specialty and Ortho + 40's. This is better bang for your buck. Upgradability, etc.

For me personally it’s great. I’d probably be in for all those kits anyways. It’s certainly not traditional but I think for a smaller GB like this it could work very well. And when I say smaller I just mean not GMK Laser sized GB. 

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 17:12:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

:thumb: I like this. :thumb:

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 19:16:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

It looks like the 1U Fn key went missing.  Could you add that to the TKL + Specialty kit?

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 19:17:53 »
I like that also - I had all of those sets on my to-buy list (except specialty) but I wouldn't turn down the extra keys in place of duplicate keys!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 19:34:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

It looks like the 1U Fn key went missing.  Could you add that to the TKL + Specialty kit?

Okay ;D

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 19:43:08 »
Numpad changes:

• Removed 2u '=' ; superfluous, most Ti calculators have 'Enter'
  • Replaced teal '=' with 'End' ; I can't recall why it was there in the first place...
  • Added 'Shift' ; for Ducky and possibly other numpads/boards

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 20:03:04 »
Numpad

I've also asked specifically for equal size operators on the numpad, like on the renders and not like Miami Dolch. (large '+' is acceptable on 2u, but that '×' needs help)

Sometimes it looks like one thing on the renders and another in reality. SP is partly to blame, I suppose. However for this set, since it so intrinsic to the theme, I've requested it specifically.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 21:48:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

Very into this! I'd be getting both ortho and 40s, so +1 from me :)

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 22:50:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

+100, this is really exciting since I'd be in for almost all these kits anyway

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 23:02:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Careful though, the common keys of both kits are removed so it effectively becomes a 40% kit only (Planck is a 40). In some cases it could cover two boards, eg. Planck grid + Minivan standard; as well as MIT Planck + most 40's that don't use a 2u space...

We could re-add the extra 2u space and some 1u's if this becomes a thing, but for now Ortho + 40's = 40's ;

The way I arranged the Ortho + 40 mods in the render above may be misleading. It's more akin to DSA Honeywell in the sense that it's designed to cover most boards but not two at the same time.

Please check your boards to confirm this!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 00:17:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Careful though, the common keys of both kits are removed so it effectively becomes a 40% kit only (Planck is a 40). In some cases it could cover two boards, eg. Planck grid + Minivan standard; as well as MIT Planck + most 40's that don't use a 2u space...

We could re-add the extra 2u space and some 1u's if this becomes a thing, but for now Ortho + 40's = 40's ;

The way I arranged the Ortho + 40 mods in the render above may be misleading. It's more akin to DSA Honeywell in the sense that it's designed to cover most boards but not two at the same time.

When I think about it, this is very similar to how Jamón was done and the kits did very well. Ortho and 40s were combined and a good “base + winkeyless” so I don’t see reason not to other than if someone was trying to cover more than one board at a time.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 07:49:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

When I think about it, this is very similar to how Jamón was done and the kits did very well. Ortho and 40s were combined and a good “base + winkeyless” so I don’t see reason not to other than if someone was trying to cover more than one board at a time.

Oh that's true. Except even better because you get Minivan compatibility :cool:

Offline Starius

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 07:53:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

So if you wanted this set on a Minivan, all you would need to get is Alphas + Ortho/40's?

Me likey.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 07:58:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

So if you wanted this set on a Minivan, all you would need to get is Alphas + Ortho/40's?

Me likey.

Yes, yes of course!

There is no need to get both modifier sets unless you want to cover two (or three) boards or some 'edge case' like @verstandinvictus.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:03:28 »
Updated the kits. Looks like we're going with the combined kits. :thumb:

Finally got the latest quote from SP. Pricing is being discussed with our vendor TKC. (Pretty much decided but nothing official.)

GB launch is next week. Subject to change, as always...

PS. Look out for a reddit post tomorrow morning... and give it a bump if you can! Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:19:29 by voodoo6k »

Offline harlekein

Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (mid-April launch)
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:25:54 »
Oof... I hope that isn't going to drive up the ortho price too much.

Offline MrFurrior

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:30:50 »
Updated the kits. Looks like we're going with the combined kits. :thumb:

Finally got the latest quote from SP. Pricing is being discussed with our vendor TKC. (Pretty much decided but nothing official.)

GB launch is next week. Subject to change, as always...

PS. Look out for a reddit post tomorrow morning... and give it a bump if you can! Thanks

I'm ready! Thanks for all the hard work!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #246 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:38:28 »

Not by much, considering what you get; around 10~15$ more than the old ortho. In fact, it drives down the price of the 40's kit by a good amount, for some reason...

In exchange, we get a higher chance of hitting MOQ and better upgradability (now Atreus support).

Otherwise, we would have to cancel the 40's kit.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:41:15 »

Not by much, considering what you get; around 10~15$ more than the old ortho. In fact, it drives down the price of the 40's kit by a good amount, for some reason...

In exchange, we get a higher chance of hitting MOQ and better upgradability (now Atreus support).

Don’t you dare cancel the 40s!

I’ll probably be in for all sets depending on pricing.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #248 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:43:20 »

Ortho and 40's peeps need to stick together!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:45:17 »

Ortho and 40's peeps need to stick together!

Haha yes indeed!
Will you still be proxying for Canada?