Author Topic: [IC] DSA Scientific (April 10 launch)  (Read 74457 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (mid-April launch)
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 14:53:15 »
Oof... I hope that isn't going to drive up the ortho price too much.

Not by much, considering what you get; around 10~15$ more than the old ortho. In fact, it drives down the price of the 40's kit by a good amount, for some reason...

In exchange, we get a higher chance of hitting MOQ and better upgradability (now Atreus support).

Otherwise, we would have to cancel the 40's kit.

Don’t you dare cancel the 40s!

I’ll probably be in for all sets depending on pricing.

Ortho and 40's peeps need to stick together!

Haha yes indeed!
Will you still be proxying for Canada?

Yes, I set up a Wordpress portal at yakk.shop

Please no DoS :))

Offline Starius

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 15:30:21 »

Not by much, considering what you get; around 10~15$ more than the old ortho. In fact, it drives down the price of the 40's kit by a good amount, for some reason...

In exchange, we get a higher chance of hitting MOQ and better upgradability (now Atreus support).

Hell yeah! This will be my first set I get specifically for a 40% keyboard!
(Aside from another set I bought which didn't work out at all for 40%, but that one doesn't count. )

Offline verstandinvictus

Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (April launch)
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 17:35:04 »
Numpad changes:

Show Image

• Removed 2u '=' ; superfluous, most Ti calculators have 'Enter'
  • Replaced teal '=' with 'End' ; I can't recall why it was there in the first place...
  • Added 'Shift' ; for Ducky and possibly other numpads/boards

Oof, I was actually going to use the 2u teal "=" key, as part of my thumb clusters that had the 1u + - x % keys flanked by 2u Enter and =. Oh well, I'll figure something else out.

Also, yeah, the combined mod kits look great to me. And yes, I will have to get both, but I much prefer it this way - more options, instead of dupes.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #253 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 18:07:19 »
Numpad changes:

Show Image

• Removed 2u '=' ; superfluous, most Ti calculators have 'Enter'
  • Replaced teal '=' with 'End' ; I can't recall why it was there in the first place...
  • Added 'Shift' ; for Ducky and possibly other numpads/boards

Oof, I was actually going to use the 2u teal "=" key, as part of my thumb clusters that had the 1u + - x % keys flanked by 2u Enter and =. Oh well, I'll figure something else out.

Also, yeah, the combined mod kits look great to me. And yes, I will have to get both, but I much prefer it this way - more options, instead of dupes.

Sorry about that... those 2u pieces are expensive. Believe it or not, the teal 2u '=' increases the numpad cost by nearly 14% at 75 MOQ. :eek:

Edit: (and that's while adding another 1u...)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2019, 18:10:39 by voodoo6k »

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 19:33:48 »

Haha yes indeed!
Will you still be proxying for Canada?

Yes, I set up a Wordpress portal at yakk.shop

Please no DoS :))

Yesss Canadian proxy! I'm thrilled :)

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 23:35:46 »
Ooh. Combining down to two modsets would be a plus for me -

We're contemplating something like this:

Show Image

Show Image

Basically, combining TKL + Specialty and Ortho + 40's. This is better bang for your buck. Upgradability, etc.

Comments appreciated, as usual.

It looks like the 1U Fn key went missing.  Could you add that to the TKL + Specialty kit?

Okay ;D

Thanks.  I still don't see it in TKL + Specialty, though I do see that it's in Ortho + 40's now.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #256 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 02:10:55 »
GB launch is next week. Subject to change, as always...

Is that wise, with 6 GMK GBs and some more from other MF's already running in April?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #257 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 04:22:40 »

Is that wise, with 6 GMK GBs and some more from other MF's already running in April?
There's six GMK's every week and this kit is more ortho/40% friendly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #258 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:23:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

Basically, combining TKL + Specialty and Ortho + 40's. This is better bang for your buck. Upgradability, etc.

It looks like the 1U Fn key went missing.  Could you add that to the TKL + Specialty kit?

Okay ;D

Thanks.  I still don't see it in TKL + Specialty, though I do see that it's in Ortho + 40's now.

Sorry, I haven't re-rendered the kits since your comment.

Just out of curiosity: does your keyboard require an extra 1u? or are you just not fond of the 'Data' key?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:24:01 »

Is that wise, with 6 GMK GBs and some more from other MextraF's already running in April?

We are aware of the situation...

Hopefully this caters to a different audience, being DSA and small keyboard friendly.

This IC has been going on for a while. I don't know whether it's best to run concurrently with multiple smaller group buys or versus another huge one-- there aren't many lulls lately. But you are right, it is a concern.

There's six GMK's every week and this kit is more ortho/40% friendly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

People are fed up with GMK!  :P

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #261 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 10:37:48 »

Amen to that  :p  GMK isn't even all that great, at least SA ABS shine looks nice, not so much on Cherry profile.
If the pricing is right I might be in to replace my DSA Dolch... Just to confirm, this is doubleshot right? It's not mentioned in the OP.

Offline BrotherBobwhite

« Reply #262 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 10:47:44 »

Amen to that  :p  GMK isn't even all that great, at least SA ABS shine looks nice, not so much on Cherry profile.
If the pricing is right I might be in to replace my DSA Dolch... Just to confirm, this is doubleshot right? It's not mentioned in the OP.

Yes, mentioned here:
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/11142/dsa-scientific?mode=guest_open&commentId=2257017

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #263 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 12:36:35 »

Yes, mentioned here:
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/11142/dsa-scientific?mode=guest_open&commentId=2257017

Correct. Doubleshot ABS

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #264 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 16:07:09 »

Show Image

Show Image

Okay ;D

Just out of curiosity: does your keyboard require an extra 1u? or are you just not fond of the 'Data' key?

My most frequently used layout is a Tada68, which has a 1U Alt, Fn, and Ctrl to the right of the spacebar.  I have a strong preference to have legends match the actual keys (or at least the option to do so), since having a function layer at all is a relatively recent change for me after decades of using IBM model Ms (full size and SSK).  I suspect I'll be more forgiving of mismatched legends in the future, but for now it's helpful to have everything match.

I would think there'd be others using 65% and 75% layouts (or split shifts) that want a 1U Fn, but if it's just for me then don't bother; I'm planning on getting alphas, Tenkeyless + Specialty, Ortho + 40's, Numpad, and Novelties.  I can get the 1U Fn out of the other mods (which I already want to give me some options on a SouthPaw 65% when it eventually shows up).

Offline BrotherBobwhite

« Reply #265 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:44:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

Okay ;D

My most frequently used layout is a Tada68, which has a 1U Alt, Fn, and Ctrl to the right of the spacebar.  I have a strong preference to have legends match the actual keys (or at least the option to do so), since having a function layer at all is a relatively recent change for me after decades of using IBM model Ms (full size and SSK).  I suspect I'll be more forgiving of mismatched legends in the future, but for now it's helpful to have everything match.

I would think there'd be others using 65% and 75% layouts (or split shifts) that want a 1U Fn, but if it's just for me then don't bother; I'm planning on getting alphas, Tenkeyless + Specialty, Ortho + 40's, Numpad, and Novelties.  I can get the 1U Fn out of the other mods (which I already want to give me some options on a SouthPaw 65% when it eventually shows up).

Considering the GB launches in 4 days, it's probably too late to change the kits

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #266 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:49:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Okay ;D

Okay, cool. That gives some context. It shouldn't be a problem including it. A single, regular 1u isn't too too expensive.

Considering the GB launches in 4 days, it's probably too late to change the kits

It should be fine. If it doesn't work out then I can send it to @euphxenos personally.  ;D

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:59:27 »
Here are some better photos of the samples that I took (phone) for keebtalk:

You know you need this colour.

Offline BrotherBobwhite

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 18:06:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

Okay ;D

Okay, cool. That gives some context. It shouldn't be a problem including it. A single, regular 1u isn't too too expensive.

It should be fine. If it doesn't work out then I can send it to @euphxenos personally.  ;D

Oops, my bad! What a good person @voodoo6k is!

Offline ctrl

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 06:51:14 »
Here are some better photos of the samples that I took (phone) for keebtalk:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You know you need this colour.

I need this colour. <3

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #270 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 06:53:47 »
I definitely need that colour.

Offline cheesecake

« Reply #271 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 12:40:36 »
Very excited for this! Is the EU proxy also confirmed?

Offline kakiharaOne

« Reply #272 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 13:02:18 »
Showed this to a co-worker that used to work for TI like 20 years ago. Brought a smile to her face.

Really like the colors... curious how this would look on an M0110.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 08:35:46 »
Showed this to a co-worker that used to work for TI like 20 years ago. Brought a smile to her face.

Really like the colors... curious how this would look on an M0110.

Oh.. that's cool :) Thanks for sharing.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 09:12:04 »
So today's the day?   ;D

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 09:18:04 »
So today's the day?   ;D

Should be available by tonight or tomorrow morning... officially April 10. I don't know why TKC posted April 9 on instagram  :))

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:45:14 »
So today's the day?   ;D

Should be available by tonight or tomorrow morning... officially April 10. I don't know why TKC posted April 9 on instagram  :))

Alright, just a heads up:

We launch tomorrow but it looks like our Europe (mykeyboard.eu) and Asia (zFrontier) proxies will only be ready within the next few days...

US (TKC) and Canada (yakk) will be up, though!

Offline sevenseacat

Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (April 10 launch)
« Reply #277 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:49:09 »
I can see the sales page on TKC and the prices are pretty good! :D

Offline binxberry

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 22:50:16 »
Would the ortho set cover the prime_e? I’ve had my eye on that and saw it was in the renders so I wanna be sure I get the right kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #279 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:18:23 »
I can see the sales page on TKC and the prices are pretty good! :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: prices great, moqs worry me though
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:26:03 by scoopbb »

Offline CaninoDev

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:21:37 »
So today's the day?   ;D

We launch tomorrow but it looks like our Europe (mykeyboard.eu) and Asia (zFrontier) proxies will only be ready within the next few days...

TKC?

Offline kakiharaOne

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:35:10 »
So today's the day?   ;D

TKC?

thekey.company
https://thekey.company/products/dsa-scientific

Offline binxberry

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:59:52 »
Anybody else getting “out of stock” on tkc?

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:13:53 »

Yes, same here.  I suspect that's because the page is up, but the group buy isn't open yet.  It's supposed to start on 4/10, but I don't believe they specified an hour and time zone.  Just keep refreshing the page until they let you buy it. :)

Offline binxberry

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 02:20:26 »

Yes, same here.  I suspect that's because the page is up, but the group buy isn't open yet.  It's supposed to start on 4/10, but I don't believe they specified an hour and time zone.  Just keep refreshing the page until they let you buy it. :)

thanks, i wasn't sure if something was wrong on my side. i figured maybe it was a timezone issue but it's past midnight now so that must not be it. i'll just wait until tomorrow and see when it's open. refreshing continuously was definitely my plan but if i want a paycheck to pay for these i should sleep so i can get to work tomorrow lmao!

either way we've got a month to join the drop so i figure i can wait a bit longer. thanks again!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 04:47:54 »
Those prices seem very reasonable! I am on the fence with the novelties. We'll see.

Hoping mykeyboard.eu gets it up soon.

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 07:31:01 »
Those prices seem very reasonable! I am on the fence with the novelties. We'll see.

Hoping mykeyboard.eu gets it up soon.

Second that.

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 10:57:23 »
I see that there's a homing colevrak set but I don't see the non-homing FJ keys anywhere. Did I miss them?

Nevermind... I see them in the alpha set. Need more coffee.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 10:59:17 by elfick »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 13:56:38 »
We are still waiting for moderator @Signature to approve our GB thread...

As mentioned earlier, the US (TKC) and Canada (yakk) proxies are up. All the links and info will be posted in the official GB thread.

I see that there's a homing colevrak set but I don't see the non-homing FJ keys anywhere. Did I miss them?

Nevermind... I see them in the alpha set. Need more coffee.

Exactly, they're in the base alphas set. I made it clearer in the latest renders.

PS. The coveted 1u 'Fn' key is in fact included in the TKL set. I just had made all of the media before @euphxenos pointed it out. I will send out the corrected version eventually.

Offline enrique.aliaga

[IC] DSA Scientific (April 10 launch)
« Reply #289 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 14:00:56 »
I wish I had asked during IC for a teal-colored equals (=) key (talking about the numpad kit here). Mac numpads use an equals key in the place the division (/) key normally occupies on PC numpads.

The only equals key present in the kit is dark gray.

Oh well...

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #290 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 14:16:51 »
I wish I had asked during IC for a teal-colored equals (=) key (talking about the numpad kit here). Mac numpads use an equals key in the place the division (/) key normally occupies on PC numpads.

Oh well...

I originally had one in there but removed it. What keyboard/numpad is it?

I'll see what I can do. One 1u is not the end of the world to add back in.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 14:34:34 »

Oh well...

By default Mac numpads have the following layout:

So a teal-colored "equals" sign is necessary to build a true "Mac numpad" with the correct colors (all mathematical symbols in dark teal). I'd be so grateful if you add that key back. :)

If you ask me for a specific numpad model/maker, I don't have one in particular, as any DIY numpad supporting QMK (and split plus) can be configured to have a Mac layout. One example would be the soon-to-come KBDPad MKII.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 14:47:09 »

Oh well...

[...]

If you ask me for a specific numpad model/maker, I don't have one in particular, as any DIY numpad supporting QMK (and split plus) can be configured to have a Mac layout. One example would be the soon-to-come KBDPad MKII.

Yes, that's what I was asking. I'm always looking to know what's out there...

Basically, when I made the kits, I looked at what exists, what is popular, what I like, what is suggested, and so on. We had the teal '=' originally but could not remember why I put it there.

I'll try to add it back. Worst comes to worst, the 'Calc' key could do the job. There's no teal 'Clear' or 'Del' key either-- what are you doing about that? (again, this is not an interrogation. Just wondering)  ;)

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 15:04:47 »

Oh well...

[...]

[...]

I'll try to add it back. Worst comes to worst, the 'Calc' key could do the job. There's no teal 'Clear' or 'Del' key either-- what are you doing about that? (again, this is not an interrogation. Just wondering)  ;)

I was planning on using either the teal “Calc” or the yellow “2nd” in place of “Clear”.  Please, don't remove the teal "Calc".

Some numpads have an additional row on top. I’m happy using dark gray for that row (Del, Esc, Tab, ...).

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 15:12:00 by enrique.aliaga »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #294 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 15:43:37 »
Very busy with studies atm.