Author Topic: [Video HowTo] Cherry MX bottom out smoothing  (Read 10640 times)

Offline CeeSA

[Video HowTo] Cherry MX bottom out smoothing
« on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 15:00:58 »
This is another way to avoid to bootom out with Cherry MX Switches. Here with Cherry Blues on Noppoo Choc Mini Keyboard.

Material: "RutschStop" (SlipStop) from german hardware store

i am satisfied with the outcome.
hear the 'A' w/o and the 'S' with some "RutschStop"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hmQWE503cA

thank you for watching
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 January 2011, 09:12:40 by Computer-Lab in Basement »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 16:10:49 »
The dental bands method is a lot less work. I have not tried rubber sheets, but I think that with the larger surface area, it could help dampen resonance within the key cap's walls.

Hehe.. First on Youtube's suggestion list is Goldfrapp performing Black Cherry
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 January 2011, 16:12:54 by Findecanor »

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 03:52:23 »
i tried some "rubber rings". but for me there were much too hard. "RutschStop" is very smooth and pleased me.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 08:07:10 »
Hell yeah, RutschStop FTW. I used it too on this project:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=256415

Good stuff!

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 15:53:29 »
anyone know where i can get some rutsch stop in the states? did a google search and nothing comes up
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline bugfix

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 16:22:22 »
It's Anti Slip Tape, you should have that in the US.
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline CeeSA

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 18:12:56 »
Looks like the stuff people put under rugs to keep them from slipping. Alternatively, they're sold in small scraps as jar openers.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 07:57:04 »
Quote from: nanu;287034
Looks like the stuff people put under rugs to keep them from slipping. Alternatively, they're sold in small scraps as jar openers.

Thats what it is supposed to do I ithink. RutschStop literally means SlipStop.. or something like that. Most people use it to stop stuff from sliding around the table. My parents used it attempting to stop stuff from sliding around in the car. That failed pretty hard, btw.

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 09:34:35 »
Nice mod!

For those having issue finding the material used in this mod. You try searching using "Grip Mat."

Also walmart carries them:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eco-Grip-Rug-Saver-Pad/10963055
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline Mazora

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 20:41:40 »
kidchunks, the mesh seem bigger on this mat than on the video posted by OP, dont you think?
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 20:58:22 »
Quote from: Mazora;288037
kidchunks, the mesh seem bigger on this mat than on the video posted by OP, dont you think?

Maybe, I may go look for some sometime this week and report back.
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 21:48:42 »
Yes, while the RutschStop appears like a random tangle of gloop, Grip Mat is square net of spherical squares. In the states Grip Mat is definitely more widely available...

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 21:55:01 »
Quote from: kidchunks;287238
Nice mod!

For those having issue finding the material used in this mod. You try searching using "Grip Mat."

Also walmart carries them:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eco-Grip-Rug-Saver-Pad/10963055

Quote from: kidchunks;288044
Maybe, I may go look for some sometime this week and report back.

I might have to go look at that stuff.  When I saw the picture of the "RutschStop", it reminded me of shelf liner like this, but guess it's not the same thing.

Offline Spinifex

• http://SittingScribe.com
Excellent Mod
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 February 2011, 03:40:57 »
I have been hunting around for says looking for dental bands of the right size for the dental band mod, and this looks to be a whole lot more effective.

I have anti-slip matting laying around and am going to give it a try shortly.

Thanks for this mod.

Offline runeazn

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 15:54:07 »
btw its rutsch stopp
and not rutsch stop if you wanna ebay it..
says the dutch guy to a german XD
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline noctua

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 01:37:18 »
I have "armed" my keycaps with the RutschStop method too, that went quicker than i thought,
compared to my dental bands method alternative..
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline RiGS

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 14:04:50 »
Which one do you like better?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline noctua

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:11:54 »
good question! here are my subjective results: the RutschStop feels slightly
softer, the noise attenuation sounds with lower frequency resp. the damping
has an more pleasant absorbing effect. in a word.. better - if you use
greater pieces compared to the small pieces in the video..
DT225 CH Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline RiGS

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:42:50 »
I wonder what is so special about RutschStop compared to a simple cloth.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline noctua

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 01:35:44 »
the rubber is more fleecier, the buds are a little bit more voluminous compared to the
flatt and more stiffer rubber that i have used before..

it is depended of the quality of the rubber self (thickness, texture, constistenc, abrasion resistance ect.), i think..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 04:10:39 »
now after an longer period of testing, i've removed the RutschStop
pieces, you may wonder why but these are to mushy this will results
in some behavior-points that are not optimal the long run..

But i don't post the reasons here, otherwise elitekeyboard add once
more an new product.. ;)
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline sordna

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:15:15 »
I had the same experience with the soft-landing pads. They were very effective, but I found myself pushing the keys harder sometimes, because I couldn't easily tell if I bottomed out or not. The o-rings are actually better if you find the proper durometer: medium soft 40A - 50A. See my sig for a good source in the US (008 size). I ditched the pads but am keeping the o-rings !
For metric, 5mm x 1.5mm is the ideal size. If you find a source in Europe that has o-rings under 60A in hardness please share.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 15:39:54 »
Quote from: sordna;368879
I had the same experience with the soft-landing pads. They were very effective, but I found myself pushing the keys harder sometimes, because I couldn't easily tell if I bottomed out or not. The o-rings are actually better if you find the proper durometer: medium soft 40A - 50A. See my sig for a good source in the US (008 size). I ditched the pads but am keeping the o-rings !
For metric, 5mm x 1.5mm is the ideal size. If you find a source in Europe that has o-rings under 60A in hardness please share.

Interesting, it seemed that the pads would overall dampen just the "sound" better (more soft material, less reflective surface) than O-rings, but I can see how the physical bottoming out issue could easily become a negative.

I really need to get at least two of each type of Cherry switch, including the "modded" ones. I'm gonna have to settle these questions once and for all :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline N8N

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 13:33:53 »
Quote from: nanu;287034

And drawer liners for kitchen drawers and roll cabinets.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline N8N

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 13:39:04 »
Quote from: sixty;287215
My parents used it attempting to stop stuff from sliding around in the car. That failed pretty hard, btw.

thread drift...

I have an early 90's Ford F-150 which is an awful awful vehicle whose one redeeming qualities are that I didn't pay a lot for it and that it can haul lots of crap.  However, it's an ergonomic disaster.  One of its many annoyances was the top of the dashboard is hard shiny plastic that is only textured to look like vinyl, but it's really just molded ABS or something very similar.  So if you toss your cell phone, change, whatever up there while driving, EVEN THOUGH THERE'S MOLDED RECESSES IN IT, the first time you go around a corner to the left whatever you set up there will fly out the passenger side vent window.  I was in some kitchen store and found some cheap silicone baking sheets and the light bulb went on.  Bought one, made a pattern to fit the bottom of the recesses, cut to fit, et voila.  Now it's only everything else about the truck that pisses me off.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Spinifex

• http://SittingScribe.com
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 15:09:04 »
Quote from: sordna;368879
I had the same experience with the soft-landing pads. They were very effective, but I found myself pushing the keys harder sometimes, because I couldn't easily tell if I bottomed out or not.
I ditched the pads ...

Same experience here.    I found that the material sort of perished or became sticky to a small degree.  It resulted in tacky feel to the keys when they were pressed and it was as if the keys didn't bounce back as freely as they did without the matting material.

I've still yet to try the O-rings (dental bands) but I am interested in trying them.

Offline sordna

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 16:07:45 »
Dental bands don't last, I tried them, and they broke up after a few weeks. o-rings are the best.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 16:45:49 »
Can't beat free. Although at $9 for a pack of good o-rings that will last for years, the price is worth it.
Hey, haven't seen you participate in the typing speed thread yet, come join the fun!