Author Topic: From Ergodox to Keyboardio Model 01  (Read 22986 times)

Offline vatin

From Ergodox to Keyboardio Model 01
« on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 02:20:26 »
Hi has anyone had experience switching from Ergodox to Keyboardio Model 01? Some online info suggests the Model 01 has a superior layout. What are you guys experience from switching from Ergodox to Model 01? I am currently using an Ergodox EZ and got the model 01 on order. I'll probably sell one that is less ergonomic/useful.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: From Ergodox to Keyboardio Model 01
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 October 2019, 05:24:10 »
I have switched from an ErgoDox EZ to a Model01, and while I love them both dearly, I found the Model01 to be far superior as far as ergonomics go. The palm keys are beyond amazing, they remove a lot of load from your fingers. The thumb cluster on the ErgoDox has always been sub-par (I can reasonably hit at most 3 keys there without being uncomfortable), the thumb arc of the Model01 is much easier to reach (I can easily hit all four keys, all of them more comfortably than on the ErgoDox). The custom sculpted keycaps are also something I found to make my fingers happy.

And the best thing? Camera mounts. The tenting story of the Model01 is simply unparallelled. With the EZ, you can tent to about 20 degrees or so, I think? My Model01 is at around 45. I can mount it under my standing desk, to have ideal keyboard<->monitor distance, for example. It also looks good, and with translucent keycaps, the per-key RGB really does shine.

The Model01 does have less keys, and less switch options, though. So if you want something else than Matias Quiet Clicks, or need more than 64 keys and layers aren't sufficient, then the ErgoDox is a better option. Otherwise, in my book, the Model01 wins.

Offline vatin

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 11:15:01 »
Thanks a lot for the insight. I'm so looking forward to the Model01.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:24:19 »
Anyone who complains about the Egdx thumb cluster is NOT tented high enough.

The only reason it's hard to reach, is if the keyboard is placed too flatly, which then requires a slight wrist rotation to get to.

With proper tenting angle,  this is no longer an issue because a very minute bicep motion clears the hurdle.  As the pivot is so far away from the target, this motion is extremely fast and trivial to perform.

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 06:28:53 »
With proper tenting angle,  this is no longer an issue because a very minute bicep motion clears the hurdle.  As the pivot is so far away from the target, this motion is extremely fast and trivial to perform.

And yet, wouldn't it be better not to have to perform an extra motion just to reach the space bar?

Offline vatin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 07:21:22 »

And yet, wouldn't it be better not to have to perform an extra motion just to reach the space bar?

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OLKB Planck V6

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 08:28:57 »
Am I missing something? Don't see where TP said you need an extra motion to reach the spacebar?

I read it as reaching the extra keys, as I'd imagine someone using an ergodox would be able to program the key under their thumb to be a space?

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 11:19:54 »
Am I missing something? Don't see where TP said you need an extra motion to reach the spacebar?

I read it as reaching the extra keys, as I'd imagine someone using an ergodox would be able to program the key under their thumb to be a space?

He was talking about the thumb cluster, which (when using the standard layout) contains the space bar. Sure, you could program the layout to have the space bar wherever you want it. But the way I see it, the 'key under your thumb' just doesn’t exist on the Ergodox. There is just a big gap instead.

Offline vatin

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 00:26:56 »
I have received the Keyboardio Model 01. During my adaptation phase for a few days, I have been gaining speed to almost my normal production speed. The Model 01 is a superior keyboard to the ergodox in many ways. The custom sculpted keycaps, the easy to reach thumb keys, the palm function keys, the integrated wrist rest, etc. These are what made the Model 01 a winner. The only personal gripe is that the Matias switch is kinda a bit to stiff to my liking. Coming from an Ergodox EZ with silver speed linier switch. And I still need to customize the page navigation keys to suit with my routine.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline vatin

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 10:07:05 »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 02:49:10 »
https://community.keyboard.io/t/keyboard-io-model-100/3503

Nice, I hadn't realized yet that they will move to MX switches. I like it, as the purported reliability issues with Matias were always one of the reasons for me not to get a Keyboardio M1. Now if they'd just add additional thumb keys below V and M, I'd be really tempted to buy one...

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 10:05:23 »
I'm starting to think about Keyboard.io Model 01 a lot more lately.
I know they are making a new one but I thought I could try out first model.
I never used ergo keyboards, but there is a tought that this could be my holly grail. Maybe! :)
I'm going to put Wanted post in our marketplace.

However, I'm surprised how few people mentioned this keyboard here.
Is it so unique that peeps don't want to try them?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::