Author Topic: *taps mic* Is this thing on?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline spedru

*taps mic* Is this thing on?
« on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 16:09:11 »
Hi there. I'm just a lad who's been "into" keyboards since the age of 13, when I swapped my laptop's caps to Dvorak on a whim (although I eventually wandered back to QWERTY simply due to the hassle of setting up new machines), and badgered my dad to help me snag a grey-badge Model M off eBay at 14, which was my daily driver throughout high school. I'm soon to turn 21 now, and my M nowadays is hooked up to the PC by the TV that my flatmates and I all share – that coiled cable is a real blessing for use from the sofa!

My current daily driver is, and has been for several years now, a Tactile Pro, which I got in JIS for the sole reason that Mac layout Japanese boards swap Control and Caps by default, which is a godsend to someone like me who constantly lives in the command line. To that effect, My 2016 MacBook Pro is done up in JIS too, as is my latest-model full-size Apple wireless aluminium board, which I think they call the Magic Keyboard these days; that last one I use instead of my Tactile Pro when others are sleeping. ;) The effect of all these Japanese characters on my keyboard is that I've wound up studying the language for fun. Funny how that works, eh?

Despite being native and fluent in both English and Russian, I can't say I'm a fan of the Russian layout, and when typing Russian I just use phonetic QWERTY. I should probably get around to learning the "real" one at some point, although for that I'd need to invest in a nice keyboard actually in the layout; I've always found those stickers really gross. Perhaps I can transfer my muscle memory from tapping out Russian on my phone :)

It was actually stumbling upon chyros at about 10,000 subscribers that pushed me to get involved in the dedicated communities, as I'm keen on keeping track of the latest innovations in keyboard developments. After lurking for a while, here I am, actually registered! All the talking online about keyboards I had done prior to this was on a certain English-language imageboard that shall not be named... Don't worry, though. I'm civil, I promise.

I think that about does it, and I hope to get to know a fair amount of you all!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: *taps mic* Is this thing on?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 08:00:04 »
Welcome to gh :)

That's a thorough intro so nothing to ask except perhaps a favour - can you help this guy with authentic Russian legends?  From searching it seems no-one* makes a proper Russian keyboard, they all just add cyrilic sublegends and ignore the fact all the nav keys are still in the main language.

*Except Apple, who unhelpfully used symbols...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jacobolus

Re: *taps mic* Is this thing on?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 15:51:49 »
JIS layout + Karabiner-Elements on Apple Laptops is the best:

Thumb keys + extra keys to the right lets you comfortably move the whole right hand one key to the right, opening up a bunch of extra forefinger keys in the middle column to do whatever you want.