Author Topic: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - In Hibernation  (Read 44451 times)

Offline sevenseacat

Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - 8-bit Sale August 16th
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 21:04:22 »
Gorgeous! Can't wait to get mine in a few weeks :D

Offline le-37

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 21:35:55 »
Will you have more controllers for sale on the 16th?

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 23:13:17 »

I will only have a few on hand, they will not be the focus of this sale. Let me know what you're after and I'll see what I can do.

Offline le-37

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 08:22:52 »

I will only have a few on hand, they will not be the focus of this sale. Let me know what you're after and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks man!
PM Sent

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 22:34:09 »
Pleasantly surprised to get our keycaps today! Havent put them on a board yet (they were delivered to my fiance at work as a surprise) but they look awesome! Thank you from Australia! :D

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 23:15:44 »
Pleasantly surprised to get our keycaps today! Havent put them on a board yet (they were delivered to my fiance at work as a surprise) but they look awesome! Thank you from Australia! :D

Show Image

Glad to hear it, I hope you enjoy them!

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - 8-bit Sale Starts Today
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 22:05:52 »
In the world of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants and build-the-airplane-while-flying small business, sometimes things don't go as planned. So many apologies for the late start today.

With that out of the way, lets get this 8-bit party started with some appropriate mood music:

I will be running this 8-bit Sale for the next 8 days, and trust me by the end of it you will be entirely sick of the number 8  :))

Your Input Matters

The final proofs for the new designs were cut this afternoon. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, but do have a couple questions I'd like some input on.

1) Keycap size. I make sure all of the keycaps I've made so far (except wide keys) within a 18mm square. When multiple caps are next to each other it doesn't leave as much of a gap as normal keys. I have a special 4-key set (details below) that makes this pretty obvious. For the new cap designs today my prototype caps are all within a 16mm square. Basically everything all the new caps are designed on a 16x16 pixel grid (with one exception). Let me know if this looks like a good size or not, I'm torn between it looking too open and too narrow of a key gap. Does this even matter to you for artisans?

2) Special colorways. So far only giveaway winners have been getting specialty colors. I know there are a lot of great keycap sets out there, and I'd like to know if there are any specific sets I should target? I had someone specifically ask for Hyperfuse. Most of these designs are simple enough with only 2 or 3 colors that it is simple to change it up. Tell me, what are your most desired color combos?

But what are the new keycaps!?!?!

I've got some pictures I need to work through, so I'll be making a second post to reveal all of the designs. I'll leave you with one.

The 8-bit Star Remix
176047-1
Wich go figure, is slightly out of focus  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 August 2017, 23:46:13 by vim_commando »

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 23:45:37 »
The New Keycaps

So here we go, in all their pixelated glory  :D

The 8-Bit Shield

176063-0

Keeping you safe from 8-bit spikes in blocky two-tone style.

The 8-Bit Life Bar

176065-1

Making function keys cool again  :cool: (Take THAT 60% boards!)

The 8-Bit Invader

176067-2

Because console's didn't have a monopoly on the 8-bit glory days.

The 8-Bit Question Blocks and 8-Bit Mushrooms

176069-3

Naturally the mushroom comes in red or 1UP green. The question block colors I couldn't entirely decide on, so here are the two top contenders.

Sale Information and Discount Code

All 8-bit caps will be $8 each for the 8 days of the 8-bit Sale. After that some prices will be adjusted based on assembly complexity *cough*mushrooms*cough*

I'm also throwing in an 8% discount code for off all non-8-bit keycaps. Just use the discount code 8bits at checkout.

There is another design or two I might manage before the sale is over, so stay tuned.

Offline nao

• NAO
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - 8-bit Sale - Collecting Feedback
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 00:29:27 »
Looks great!
I need these.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 02:32:20 »
I don't see any of the 8bit stuff on the website. Was I too slow?
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline le-37

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 07:12:37 »
Good stuff man! I'll place an order when the site is updated and email you :)
Actually, I better wait a couple of days to see what else you have up your sleeve!

edit: I vote for yellow questionblock - will it match yellow of the superStar & 8bitStar?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 August 2017, 11:02:42 by le-37 »

Offline InTheFlesh

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:52:12 »

x2
Was hoping to grab a set of the heart container caps but don't see them on the site  :-[

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:17:20 »

x2
Was hoping to grab a set of the heart container caps but don't see them on the site  :-[

Good stuff man! I'll place an order when the site is updated and email you :)
Actually, I better wait a couple of days to see what else you have up your sleeve!

edit: I vote for yellow questionblock - will it match yellow of the superStar & 8bitStar?

Sorry if there's been any confusion, nothing has posted to the LaserCTRL website just yet, its loadings slow, 8-bit things and all  :))

Seriously though, I had a client think the sky was falling because their authentication provider that handles customer accounts was shutting down their API today. I can't imagine why it was so urgent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, the question block yellow is the same yellow I've been using on the stars.

I'll get the website listings going up sometime tonight.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 17:02:49 »
Oh okay, I misunderstood. Looking forward to grabbing an alien! And next time they go in stock I'll get your new low profile controllers :)

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 20:34:39 »
Phew, finally. Store listings just went live!

176186-0

http://laserctrl.io

If anyone ends up wanting to add to an order later, just PM me and I'll give you a discount code to combine shipping on your orders.

Offline Bits

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 22:50:12 »
Had to grab myself a space invader to go along with my NES controller :D

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 11:26:24 »
Just realised that I haven’t posted pictures of mine.

177362-0
177364-1
177366-2

Absolutely loving it, even the profile matches the GMK set nicely.  :thumb:

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - New Colorways?
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 20:42:17 »
So I've been kinda out of it the month of September. I've recovered enough from all of the excitement to make some more stuff.

I'm strongly considering doing some CTRLr and SuperCTRLr caps in custom colorways. My new keyboard build *might* be a small motivation for this, and I know some people are still waiting to get some original colors.

So here is my thought, I am definitely going to make a black/green SuperCTRLr to go on my new keyboard. This colorway would go great with GMK Terminal or GMK Toxic. I'm sure there are some other popular keycap sets out there that a matching color would be a fun addition to. I know I've seen the SuperCTRLr on at least one Hyperfuse board, and I had a request for that color scheme at least once. Others that come to mind are Carbon (gray/orange) or Deep Space/Black Lotus (black/purple).

What are your thoughts?

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 23:07:30 »
w00t gr33n!!!!

Offline Qu4troQu4tro

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 01:30:54 »
Miami/Miami Night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 03:27:13 »
Skeletor
Hyperfuse
Calm Depths
Solarized Dark!

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - New Colorways in Stock!
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 23:47:48 »
I can has new colorways?

179888-0
179890-1
179892-2

Terminal and Hyperfuse-inspired SuperCTRLrs made the first cut. I have a few of each in stock now and am working on getting classic colors in stock too.  :thumb:

Offline tristinDLC

Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - New Colorways in Stock!
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 05:49:53 »
Is there a newsletter or something we can follow to be notified when original colorways are back in stock? I would probably pick up both an NES and SNES is reproduced in classic colors. I just can't seem to make the same in time. A newsletter should help; just a thought.

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - In Hibernation
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 22:10:08 »
Just an update to break the radio silence.  :-[

Back in October I started a new full time job. It's been one hell of a ride since then. Trying to work a full time job, two side jobs, run 2 side businesses (this and one with my wife), and continue raising three kids just proves to be a little too much on the old time management skills. Throw into that a rough cold and flue season (no one too serious, thankfully) and being told by your land-lord of 7 years that they are selling the house out from under you... and well, you see where this is going. Because of the poor timing of the forced relocation, right before a planned move, my laser cutting machine will be going in storage for several months. I wont see it again until at least July.  :'(

I've had a few orders over the last couple months I've been absolutely horrible at responding too. So if you are one of those people, I do apologize for the lengthy delays. I've only got 3 orders left to ship out, and they are just about ready to go. Everything else on the site has been marked out of stock for now. I'll get a good count of what I actually have ready to ship sometime next month, and make an announcement specifically for those. I will be sure to post here and send out an email to my list subscribers when I do.

I appreciate everyone who has supported me in this little experiment of mine, and I hope to at least have some updates on the project surrounding my inbound GMK Laser set later this year.

Offline TelFiRE

Re: [LaserCTRL] - Laser Cut Keycaps - In Hibernation
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 01:59:47 »
Just an update to break the radio silence.  :-[

Back in October I started a new full time job. It's been one hell of a ride since then. Trying to work a full time job, two side jobs, run 2 side businesses (this and one with my wife), and continue raising three kids just proves to be a little too much on the old time management skills. Throw into that a rough cold and flue season (no one too serious, thankfully) and being told by your land-lord of 7 years that they are selling the house out from under you... and well, you see where this is going. Because of the poor timing of the forced relocation, right before a planned move, my laser cutting machine will be going in storage for several months. I wont see it again until at least July.  :'(

I've had a few orders over the last couple months I've been absolutely horrible at responding too. So if you are one of those people, I do apologize for the lengthy delays. I've only got 3 orders left to ship out, and they are just about ready to go. Everything else on the site has been marked out of stock for now. I'll get a good count of what I actually have ready to ship sometime next month, and make an announcement specifically for those. I will be sure to post here and send out an email to my list subscribers when I do.

I appreciate everyone who has supported me in this little experiment of mine, and I hope to at least have some updates on the project surrounding my inbound GMK Laser set later this year.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully things calm down for you some and you’ll be able to come back to it! Best of luck in the meantime! Thanks for the caps you’ve made me, especially my custom star!!!