Author Topic: Disabled with RSI, I really need your advice  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Vic

Disabled with RSI, I really need your advice
« on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:07:59 »
Hi guys,

I have an autoimmune condition which predisposes me to RSI, I pretty much have high inflammation all the time. Now I am starting to develop RSI, I went with a vertical mouse which helped a lot and I use VIM to minimise its use(I am a web dev).

I am looking for a very silent keyboard, topre or cherry mx silent.

I am on a budget, so I am looking for the cheapest keyboard possible.

Do you have any advice?
Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Disabled with RSI, I really need your advice
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:10:32 »
I'm a big fan of the Leopold 980M with silent reds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:25:29 »
If you are already using vim, I assume you are easily able to adapt to different layouts. With that in mind I wholeheartedly recommend the hhkb professional 2, or hhkb type-s.

The layout caters to keeping your hands close to the home row, and is light and easy to use.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:27:51 »
If RSI is as big of an issue for you as you say you should probably be looking at ergo layouts.  You can certainly get one with silent switches if that's also a concern.  It's not going to be cheap though...but is saving a few bucks really worth compromising your health?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:35:54 »
Consider switching to Colemak layout as well. I used it for about 18 months, and it makes for much more comfortable typing. I couldn't stick with it because my job requires me to also use qwerty, but I want to go back to it one day.

Offline Vic

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:17:37 »
Thank you for all your answers!
I would prefer not to switch to another layout, the adjustment to vim is already a lot of work :thumb:

I agree I should get an ergo keyboard, but right now it's not possible because of the cost.

I am thinking about a rubber dome ergo keyboard, does it make a real difference for RSI to have mechanical switches?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:51:34 »
Have you tried a 100% Plant based diet ?

Which autoimmune disease do you have ?

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:52:48 »
I am not a doctor, but...the problem with rubber dome keyboards (even good ones) is that they require you to bottom out to actuate the keys.  Mechanical keyboards actuate midway through the keystroke.  And even though you usually end up bottoming out even on mechanicals (there just isn't that much key travel...) you don't tend to do so as hard.  When you type on a rubber dome keyboard for a while you end up learning--even unconsciously--to really slam the keys into the bottom to make sure they actuate as that's the only way it will happen reliably.  And I don't think hard-slamming your fingers into a wall is great for RSI, but what do I know...

Honestly if you really want to save money there are plenty of cheap Chinese mech boards.  You can get something decent for like $40.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:53:10 »
Thank you for all your answers!
I would prefer not to switch to another layout, the adjustment to vim is already a lot of work :thumb:

I agree I should get an ergo keyboard, but right now it's not possible because of the cost.

I am thinking about a rubber dome ergo keyboard, does it make a real difference for RSI to have mechanical switches?

It depends on the individual. For me, the benefits of mechanical switches is negligible but others have different experiences. Proper split and some tenting were essential for my comfort, bottoming out never caused me problems.

I’d go for the ergo with domes.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:55:29 »

I've never had RSI, thankfully, but I would say yes. The reason being that with a rubber dome keyboard, you MUST bottom out on every key press. And as it starts breaking down (maybe a year, if you're lucky) it will become inconsistent and you'll have to repeat key presses, and use more force on certain keys.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:59:57 »
i cant read

Offline hking0036

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 15:17:11 »
FYI, if you're willing to go down the topre route already then ~$200 is your price range, if so then you can pick up a pre-assembled ergodox for just about that: https://ergodox-ez.com/collections/frontpage/products/ergodox-ez-original-standalone

you'd probably do even better if you tried to pick one up from someone secondhand.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 15:18:41 »
FYI, if you're willing to go down the topre route already then ~$200 is your price range, if so then you can pick up a pre-assembled ergodox for just about that: https://ergodox-ez.com/collections/frontpage/products/ergodox-ez-original-standalone

you'd probably do even better if you tried to pick one up from someone secondhand.

Ergodox ++

Offline Vic

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 06:19:17 »

Yep, I tried going vegetarian, in the end I settled on a 'lots of fibers diet'.
I have P.O.T.S., it is a rare disease which involves the vagus nerve and you can't stand up, if you do you faint.
Most of the patients I know are bedridden, and I have been myself bedridden for about 8 years. It took that long for a diagnosis, now I am better thanks to the drugs.

Guys I am going to search for a used ergodox!
It's really a fantastic keyboard, thanks for the advice.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 March 2018, 06:21:55 by Vic »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 08:25:03 »

Yep, I tried going vegetarian, in the end I settled on a 'lots of fibers diet'.
I have P.O.T.S., it is a rare disease which involves the vagus nerve and you can't stand up, if you do you faint.
Most of the patients I know are bedridden, and I have been myself bedridden for about 8 years. It took that long for a diagnosis, now I am better thanks to the drugs.

Guys I am going to search for a used ergodox!
It's really a fantastic keyboard, thanks for the advice.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The ergodox is great for bed situations because of the split layout.

If you're in bed, it's really hard to get your arms -Infront- of yourself.

So an ergodox is better because it could be laid towards the side.

For when I was in seated in bed mode,   I had the left half to the left of my left leg. and the right half ON TOP of my right thigh..

The reason for this is because you still need the rightmost space next to your right leg for the mouse..

The tenting situation is important as well.  Ergodox works as high as 70 degrees tenting, but in bed, you may need more than that depending on how close you place them to your leg.

The leg will sink the bed in, so the ergodox may need legs ~200mm to compensate and achieve 50-60 degrees tenting.

The ergodox EZ is the best off the shelf kit.  But its tenting system is limited, you have to DIY a solution to increase the leg length.  At bare minimum you could just hot glue a stick to the legs and it'd work..

For the right half tenting, you can either have a small ramp that works with the shape of your thigh, or a VERY long leg that goes all the way past your right inner thigh..

Offline mustcode

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 09:58:19 »
What's your budget? Ergo board are expensive and looks like we've been recommending pretty expensive stuff. Also, are you willing to do some DIY?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 10:34:27 »
What's your budget? Ergo board are expensive and looks like we've been recommending pretty expensive stuff. Also, are you willing to do some DIY?

How much diy is practical here..

Soldering in bed.. Not the most dangerous, but not completely harmless either..

Cuz u know, wanna get that Lead and Rosin smoke all up in my pillow.. mmm... Lead...

Offline mustcode

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 11:16:11 »
Well, asking questions is better than making assumptions. We want to show him his options, and DIY opens up quote a bit of options. May be he have friends who could do some soldering, may be his conditon allows him to do some DIY himself if he really wanted to. With more info, we can give better advice.

Offline Vic

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 14:51:08 »
Luckily I am not anymore bedridden, although I work on a pretty weird setup (cause I have to raise my legs), I have two supports on both side that looks like they are made for a split keyboard! :D

I asked a dear friend of mine if he would help me with soldering and he said yes, he solder things at work, so he is pretty fast too!

I am looking for ergodox but it looks like they are difficult to find used...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 15:09:13 »
ErgoDone is like ErgoDox but cheaper.

FalbaTech ErgoDox can be quite cheap too, if you're in Europe.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 15:12:11 »
Luckily I am not anymore bedridden, although I work on a pretty weird setup (cause I have to raise my legs), I have two supports on both side that looks like they are made for a split keyboard! :D

I asked a dear friend of mine if he would help me with soldering and he said yes, he solder things at work, so he is pretty fast too!

You might also consider a trackball Glued somewhere if you're in a chair type setup.. that way you have space for the right ergodox..

OR glue the ergodox to the side of the chairs with the flat-flap for a mouse.

Offline geek128

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 03:45:58 »
1. keep your wrists straight wile typing... either learn to type floating... or limit your layout to keys in reach while palms are resting (requires layers). If you need palm-rests, ensure their height/shape is matching your hands and typing style.
2. go for split + steep tenting. Split boards allow (re-)positioning your keyboard whenever you change posture to keep it aligned with your arms/writs. Tenting avoids twisting your forearm.
3. consider ortholinear/staggered columnar layouts... as they simplify typing a lot (well, once you got used to).

There are quite a few split keyboards around:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19-rTWbp8SCKdZFByPZu3RT8NSF8vVddDe8WL6R6b1qQ/htmlview

Print out the layout of a keyboard and check if it matches your hands/fingers.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:27:31 »

A rubber dome might be as good or better than a mechanical, but it's hard to know unless you try it.  Particularly with RSI, your response to any given board might be very different from someone else's. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 16:00:20 »
If RSI is as big of an issue for you as you say you should probably be looking at ergo layouts.  You can certainly get one with silent switches if that's also a concern.  It's not going to be cheap though...but is saving a few bucks really worth compromising your health?
The problem with ergos are a lot of cost and effort for what i have seen (not sourced) very small results. Is it really that much better than proper posture? Don't use a wrist rest, have your chair at the proper hight so your elbows are at 90°, hell, convince your boss to get you a better chair!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 16:49:22 »
The problem with ergos are a lot of cost and effort for what i have seen (not sourced) very small results.
The Split Keyboard: An Ergonomics Success Story

Offline seva1385

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 19:56:16 »

If you are willing to consider Ergodox, you may like Kinesis Advantage2 (that's what I am using.)
The curved surface eases finger movement; I can't recommend it enough.

Kinesis offers 60-day warranty, you can try the keyboard and return it if you don't like it... depending on where you are located.

Correction: oops, forgot the "silent" part''! Advantage comes only in MX Brown or Red.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 March 2018, 00:19:50 by seva1385 »
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline seva1385

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 19:59:32 »
The problem with ergos are a lot of cost and effort for what i have seen (not sourced) very small results. Is it really that much better than proper posture?

As http://www.allthingsergo.com/best-ergonomic-keyboard put it, speaking of Kinesis Advantage2,
Despite its $300+ price tag, one generally hears complaints about the cost only from people who haven’t bought it. Those who have tend to consider it a necessity of life, worth any sacrifice to preserve.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline seva1385

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 13:42:40 »
Vic, please read your PM
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 18:00:45 »
Have you tried Ortholinear keyboards yet? you might not like them. There are cheaper options out there for split ortho other than an ergodox.... Iris and Nyquist... a LetsSplit..

If you like any of those let me know. I'd be happy to build one for you.
-Dana