Author Topic: Anyone know how to remove the logos?  (Read 8824 times)

Offline cfmusicman

Anyone know how to remove the logos?
« on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:25:28 »
I don't mind the original case but does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove the logo? It isn't embossed or anything so I would imagine it should be possible to rub it off with something.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Anyone know how to remove the logos?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 21:40:33 »
Is it one of the rubberised coatings?

If so, you might be able to rub it with very fine sandpaper.  That's what a lot of people did prior to painting their case.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cfmusicman

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 22:17:36 »
Hmmm, I'd be scared to take off all of the finish

Offline S.J.

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:07:06 »
I've just removed mine, but yes, you have to sand the whole coating off... the logos are just the original black plastic showing through.
I started with 150 grit sand paper to get the rubbery stuff off, then moved onto 600 (or 800?) grit wet & dry paper to remove most of the scratches before it was ready for primer.
Few coats of primer, sand it down, another coat if necessary, sand again if needed, then paint with your chosen colour!  :cool:

Doesn't take long really, although you do need to be vigilant and sand right into all of the corners to ensure its all off before painting!