geekhack Community > Ergonomics

My Cherry MX-5000 ErgoPlus arrived today

(1/10) > >>

lowpoly:
Today my new-in-box Cherry MX 5000 ErgoPlus arrived which I won last week for Euro xxx,- incl. shipping. Which was a real bargain, I guess. The seller refused to send outside of Europe. He also refused all buy-it-now attempts. He said he got 40 of these between 10 and 50 Euros.

3 weeks ago another one was ended early because the item was 'destroyed'.

My seller had no idea of the value, I just was lucky that he didn't go for it. If you want to bid on one of these, send the seller a mail that he should not sell early or he will lose at the end. Or make a good offer. :)

My first Cherry browns. I was surprised that the tactile part is almost non-existant. To me they feel linear with a little friction. I'm happy with light action keys and do like them so far.

German 'test' magazine wasn't too impressed.

An AT to ps/2 adapter is included.

Model number is G80-5000HAMDE/03. The windows keys on the left have really strong springs.

The body halves are mainly held together by that thin angled plastic stripe. It feels like it would break if you grab one half of the 'board and don't support the other. As flimsy as it is in the air, as stable it is on the desk.

Fully extended. Forgot to pull out the spacebar though.

itlnstln:
Congrats!  I am interesed in this 'board as well, but I am a little wary of the Cherry browns as I enjoy the sharp clickyness of the BS and Alps switches.  I'll have to find a Cherry brown 'board, and give it an honest shot.

Waves77:
Very nice! Congrats on winning that one - it'll be interesting to hear how you like the browns after a while. It took me a bit to really appreciate them, but now they are my favorites.

meltie:
ah, that was you sofa king, who outbid me by 100 eur :-)

lowpoly:
^^^ I saw your bid :). I figured this was my chance if I wanted one.

--- Quote ---but I am a little wary of the Cherry browns as I enjoy the sharp clickyness of the BS and Alps switches.
--- End quote ---

The browns don't click. The most prominent noise is from bottoming out. If you don't bottom out it's from the key returning.

--- Quote ---it'll be interesting to hear how you like the browns after a while
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if I will use it at all. I think I got it more as a collector's item so it will probably stay new-in-box. Haven't fully decided that yet, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version