Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「Group Buy Live Now」  (Read 138986 times)

Offline yicaoyimu

Re: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「To split or not to split numpad and ISO」
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 19:07:38 »
We’re all just speculating here. Hope OP can clarify soon
I have a build planned around Shoko. Can’t wait!

Really liked Shoko and hope it will happen one way or another. Certainly, I would like to support OP as a designer and creator and refrain from buying from Kono at this moment, but hopefully, more clarity can be provided and it may not be too late to bring Kono on board again by communicating with them about possible new kits.

I even want to do work on some custom case colors for Shoko for Think2020...

Still hoping for that R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn to happen....

Do the airy blue cerakote like the one on Matrix 1.2 OG! That would be really dope. I'm getting Think2020 this time regardless.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 19:57:29 »
Slight update, well not really, GMK did respond and it was the response I was expecting. It is basically contact Kono about it instead, so the situation isn't really changing so far. That being said, I've been seeing a few post that I feel like I have to reply to about the whole situation. About the splitting the base kit and numpad and ISO kits, it's still being considered, but I wouldn't consider it a done deal just yet.

For the split base and numpad/ISO, the kits would look more akin to these:
More

This isn't a confirmed change yet, but it's just to give an idea on how the new kits would look like. Even the base kit is subject to change under these new changes, feedback on the split kits would even be appreciated even if I decide not to split it.

This is what I got from Kono when I canceled my order:

Apologies, the designer for Shoko has been inconsistent — when he disappeared during the original GB we had to finish it without him.
He gave us the go-ahead for Round 2 and agreed to a rough timeline, but ghosted us again and stopped updating the set.
We kept the GB moving by using the files he submitted before the lapse in communications. The kits on the page are what was quoted with GMK for this run.
Hitting stop on the current set would result in delays and losses for everyone, especially during the pandemic.

I've cancelled your Order and issued a refund.

Please let me know if you need anything else,

It sounds like they're trying to blame OP for running this without his knowledge (even if there were communication issues, still don't see how it makes it OK to take OP's designs and do a GB on their own). Also not sure what "delays and losses for everyone" means since I wouldn't expect them to have paid for an order from GMK since GB didn't close yet.
I like to think that both me and Kono are in the wrong, since neither of us handled it well in my perspective. There's definitely communication issues and I think I should take a lot of the blame for it, that being said what they are saying isn't untrue either. I never gave them an update since I was waiting for the renders to be ready before presenting the second round's interest check, but they never updated me on a timeline or the renders being done either. There's multiple things I could've done better for sure like running the IC earlier without the renders or speaking to someone about the status of the renders or a proposed timeline. So to put it short, communication was weak on both ends from my perspective and I definitely should have spoke up earlier than I did to the involved parties.

To play devil's advocate, Kono probably invested in the renders (those renders look pretty nice) and probably couldn't wait any longer for design changes. There was probably an agreed upon timeline of some sorts.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
Yes Kono did pay for the MacSurfy renders as I stated in one of my previous posts. There wasn't an agreed timeline, but I did agree to the idea of running a second round. Again this is my side of the story, maybe they did have an agreed timeline within their HQ which is definitely plausible. To quote what I said in a previous post on this thread:
"I got notified that Kono would be paying MacSurfy for the renders and I handed him the KLE via Google Drive on the kits I wanted rendered as well as the board. I thanked Kono for paying for the renders. I never got a message back from Kono or MacSurfy afterwards, as you can see I'm not blameless either I could've kept in contact with them or MacSurfy about the status of the renders. Now MacSurfy gave the renders to Kono since they are the client, but he did assume that I would also receive the renders because I am the designer."

To be fair to Kono what was described here about R1 by Kono was what I observed as well. That was the reason many people did not join R1 afaik. You can still find those comments in the R1 IC page.
Hopefully, OP can come here more often and provide more communication for R2, and I will certainly join now the real pictures came out great.
Yeah I handled Round 1 really poorly and with how I handled it, I don't blame people for being skeptical on the first round and for the first round going poorly, I have no one to blame but myself.

Really liked Shoko and hope it will happen one way or another. Certainly, I would like to support OP as a designer and creator and refrain from buying from Kono at this moment, but hopefully, more clarity can be provided and it may not be too late to bring Kono on board again by communicating with them about possible new kits.

The kits on Kono are considered final, since for them it'd mean refunding all orders and then getting a new quote from GMK and then putting up the kits again for sale. They also didn't seem interested in adding a new kit if they weren't interested in adding the Hiragana kit to their group buy page.

Can't wait for Shoko Red, Shoko Happy Sky, Shoko Distorted, and Shoko Gold
Hi Venny, Shoko 11 Red will be in another uhh 9 years with the rate GMK is able to produce keysets.

Thanks for your patience everyone and thank you for keeping up with me throughout all of this, I really appreciate it! If I missed anything, please let me know and I'll try to address it as soon as possible.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 20:17:56 »
More
Show Image

Show Image

This isn't a confirmed change yet, but it's just to give an idea on how the new kits would look like. Even the base kit is subject to change under these new changes, feedback on the split kits would even be appreciated even if I decide not to split it.

1u Ctrl is missing from base. Looks good otherwise.
You may want to add R3 \| to the ISO kit, but it's not a must.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 00:15:26 »
Slight update, well not really, GMK did respond and it was the response I was expecting. It is basically contact Kono about it instead, so the situation isn't really changing so far. That being said, I've been seeing a few post that I feel like I have to reply to about the whole situation. About the splitting the base kit and numpad and ISO kits, it's still being considered, but I wouldn't consider it a done deal just yet.

More
Show Image

Show Image

This is what I got from Kono when I canceled my order:

Apologies, the designer for Shoko has been inconsistent — when he disappeared during the original GB we had to finish it without him.
He gave us the go-ahead for Round 2 and agreed to a rough timeline, but ghosted us again and stopped updating the set.
We kept the GB moving by using the files he submitted before the lapse in communications. The kits on the page are what was quoted with GMK for this run.
Hitting stop on the current set would result in delays and losses for everyone, especially during the pandemic.

I've cancelled your Order and issued a refund.

Please let me know if you need anything else,

It sounds like they're trying to blame OP for running this without his knowledge (even if there were communication issues, still don't see how it makes it OK to take OP's designs and do a GB on their own). Also not sure what "delays and losses for everyone" means since I wouldn't expect them to have paid for an order from GMK since GB didn't close yet.
I like to think that both me and Kono are in the wrong, since neither of us handled it well in my perspective. There's definitely communication issues and I think I should take a lot of the blame for it, that being said what they are saying isn't untrue either. I never gave them an update since I was waiting for the renders to be ready before presenting the second round's interest check, but they never updated me on a timeline or the renders being done either. There's multiple things I could've done better for sure like running the IC earlier without the renders or speaking to someone about the status of the renders or a proposed timeline. So to put it short, communication was weak on both ends from my perspective and I definitely should have spoke up earlier than I did to the involved parties.

To play devil's advocate, Kono probably invested in the renders (those renders look pretty nice) and probably couldn't wait any longer for design changes. There was probably an agreed upon timeline of some sorts.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
Yes Kono did pay for the MacSurfy renders as I stated in one of my previous posts. There wasn't an agreed timeline, but I did agree to the idea of running a second round. Again this is my side of the story, maybe they did have an agreed timeline within their HQ which is definitely plausible. To quote what I said in a previous post on this thread:
"I got notified that Kono would be paying MacSurfy for the renders and I handed him the KLE via Google Drive on the kits I wanted rendered as well as the board. I thanked Kono for paying for the renders. I never got a message back from Kono or MacSurfy afterwards, as you can see I'm not blameless either I could've kept in contact with them or MacSurfy about the status of the renders. Now MacSurfy gave the renders to Kono since they are the client, but he did assume that I would also receive the renders because I am the designer."

To be fair to Kono what was described here about R1 by Kono was what I observed as well. That was the reason many people did not join R1 afaik. You can still find those comments in the R1 IC page.
Hopefully, OP can come here more often and provide more communication for R2, and I will certainly join now the real pictures came out great.
Yeah I handled Round 1 really poorly and with how I handled it, I don't blame people for being skeptical on the first round and for the first round going poorly, I have no one to blame but myself.

The kits on Kono are considered final, since for them it'd mean refunding all orders and then getting a new quote from GMK and then putting up the kits again for sale. They also didn't seem interested in adding a new kit if they weren't interested in adding the Hiragana kit to their group buy page.

Can't wait for Shoko Red, Shoko Happy Sky, Shoko Distorted, and Shoko Gold
Hi Venny, Shoko 11 Red will be in another uhh 9 years with the rate GMK is able to produce keysets.

Thanks for your patience everyone and thank you for keeping up with me throughout all of this, I really appreciate it! If I missed anything, please let me know and I'll try to address it as soon as possible.

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. And looking forward to R2 Shoko!

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 00:57:19 »
Is kono willing to split numpad/iso (which are technically kit changes), but not change a simple esc color?

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 01:38:39 »
Is kono willing to split numpad/iso (which are technically kit changes), but not change a simple esc color?
The split kits will be for the group buy after Kono if the split actually goes through.

More
Show Image

Show Image

1u Ctrl is missing from base. Looks good otherwise.
You may want to add R3 \| to the ISO kit, but it's not a must.
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 02:10:31 »
maybe it would be better to call this round 3 since kono is running round 2 right now

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 21:08:51 »
Since there is still discussion of splitting Base and Numpad, here are some past numpad kit take rates.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 22:18:05 »
New update, Kono has gotten in contact with me about the whole situation and are willing to make compromises with me, they are putting a temporary halt on all orders at the moment and is willing to work with me to delay the group buy to figure out finalized kittings for the set and new renders for the kits as well. Kono is going to put out a public apology about the whole situation and possibly more insight to their side of the story on the situation and how it led up to it.

That being said, I still am unsure if I would like to continue working with Kono on the set if I have a choice. Kono has done a lot for the set such as the MacSurfy renders and helping buy out the MOQ on the first round, so I do think Kono has done good things and I will not try to hide it. But I see the community's skepticism and lack of trust towards Kono with some of the handling of other keyset designers that they have ran group buys with in the past, people more reputable than me. I do see that the custom keyboard community believes that another vendor can do even better for the this set, and I do agree too after what has happened as of recent with the events of launching the group buy without my notification. What happens next is still up in the air and I do think there is a chance that the NA vendor will change if I so choose to. Regardless of what happens, I want the set to push forward and I do want to make the right choices when I know they are there.

I still appreciate everyone's patience with me about the whole situation here.

Since there is still discussion of splitting Base and Numpad, here are some past numpad kit take rates.

Show Image

That is a really nice graph with a lot of data, I appreciate it and it will come in handy on whether I decide to split the base kit or not.

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 22:21:16 »
New update, Kono has gotten in contact with me about the whole situation and are willing to make compromises with me, they are putting a temporary halt on all orders at the moment and is willing to work with me to delay the group buy to figure out finalized kittings for the set and new renders for the kits as well. Kono is going to put out a public apology about the whole situation and possibly more insight to their side of the story on the situation and how it led up to it.

That being said, I still am unsure if I would like to continue working with Kono on the set if I have a choice. Kono has done a lot for the set such as the MacSurfy renders and helping buy out the MOQ on the first round, so I do think Kono has done good things and I will not try to hide it. But I see the community's skepticism and lack of trust towards Kono with some of the handling of other keyset designers that they have ran group buys with in the past, people more reputable than me. I do see that the custom keyboard community believes that another vendor can do even better for the this set, and I do agree too after what has happened as of recent with the events of launching the group buy without my notification. What happens next is still up in the air and I do think there is a chance that the NA vendor will change if I so choose to. Regardless of what happens, I want the set to push forward and I do want to make the right choices when I know they are there.

I still appreciate everyone's patience with me about the whole situation here.

Show Image

That is a really nice graph with a lot of data, I appreciate it and it will come in handy on whether I decide to split the base kit or not.

Great news! I hope round 2 will go much smoother, with better communication on all ends  :thumb:
I'll try to join for all kits because this is my favorite set by a landslide  :)

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 07:41:45 »
I hope this gets sorted out. A lot of people are looking forward to the set regardless of the choice you pick

Offline tankskun

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 13:06:06 »
I'm so excited as this will be my first GMK set. Nothing even comes close to this set out there for me. Will follow RaySasQuach for the official Shoko R2 decision whether thats with Kono or another vendor (EU too please).

:)

Offline Honey

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 15:36:26 »
was mentioned early on but hasn't been touched on since, any chance for text+icon mods to make a reappearance?

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 16:39:23 »
No

Offline Pach

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 16:50:54 »
Great to see that all the issues were sorted out. I think this is gonna be a good one :cool:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 19:23:38 »
Great news regarding communication.
I do see Kono took it down: https://kono.store/products/gmk-shoko

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 19:48:47 »
Regarding Kono- as an outside party it seems in the best interest of both of you to settle on kitting/run there, both to keep the support of die-hards who have already bought-in (full refunds are no longer a thing), respect the impact kono did have on running shoko r1, and minimize the nuisance this is causing for those trying to keep up with a miscommunication between designer/vendor. Personally, I don't see the spiteful 'kono did me wrong, new vendor time' as a mature or appropriate public response to issues between the two of you. I really like this set, I want it to go as you intended, but at a point some concessions need to be made on both parts to reconcile and prevent dragging this set's name through the mud any further.

Offline ricepixer

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 01:06:26 »
Regarding Kono- as an outside party it seems in the best interest of both of you to settle on kitting/run there, both to keep the support of die-hards who have already bought-in (full refunds are no longer a thing), respect the impact kono did have on running shoko r1, and minimize the nuisance this is causing for those trying to keep up with a miscommunication between designer/vendor. Personally, I don't see the spiteful 'kono did me wrong, new vendor time' as a mature or appropriate public response to issues between the two of you. I really like this set, I want it to go as you intended, but at a point some concessions need to be made on both parts to reconcile and prevent dragging this set's name through the mud any further.

Yes I completely agree with this one as the best solution to a tough case like this.  An ideal case for us would be to have Kono cancel the current run as is, communicate that there will be changes as currently designed by you, and then relist it soon with the proper changes.  That way there is compromise, you won't seem spiteful, and the buyers are happy.  If Kono just runs the current set as is, their sales for this one will be much lower due to what has happened here, so it really is in their best interest to take it back, even if it costs them initially.

Either way, I will follow whatever you decide to do Ray!  Can't wait for this set (as long as I get that accented Esc in the base set).

Offline Scucka

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 04:24:24 »
Hope everything is good now  :thumb:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 11:06:06 »

Very well said, I agree.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 00:21:39 »
Vendor update, sorry I have been busy as of late. It has been a tough decision for me to make, but I do believe that trying to work things out with Kono first is the most ethical course of action. I know not everyone will agree with my choice here, and I do certainly know people who will disagree with it. But as I said before, I do want to make the right choice, not just for this group buy, but for also what's morally correct. While I was very unhappy on their launching of the group buy without my knowledge, I do think that they at need to at least be given a chance to make up for me and the community for this hiccup. This has been a difficult decision on my end and I do hope everyone will respect it.
I'm so excited as this will be my first GMK set. Nothing even comes close to this set out there for me. Will follow RaySasQuach for the official Shoko R2 decision whether thats with Kono or another vendor (EU too please).

I think I will reveal the EU proxy very soon... maybe a few other goodies too.

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #221 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 00:44:11 »
Vendor update, sorry I have been busy as of late. It has been a tough decision for me to make, but I do believe that trying to work things out with Kono first is the most ethical course of action. I know not everyone will agree with my choice here, and I do certainly know people who will disagree with it. But as I said before, I do want to make the right choice, not just for this group buy, but for also what's morally correct. While I was very unhappy on their launching of the group buy without my knowledge, I do think that they at need to at least be given a chance to make up for me and the community for this hiccup. This has been a difficult decision on my end and I do hope everyone will respect it.

👀👀👀👀👀

Offline huey

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 03:32:06 »
ngl, splitting ISO/Numpad is going to be a massive disappointment to me. If you do decide to do it; I'd like to see Konos GB open back up so those who want their compat at a decent price point can get it and then run R2 at a later date without those as child kits.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 03:09:38 by huey »

Offline tankskun

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 09:32:42 »

Great news. Thanks for not forgetting us in EU  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2020, 09:51:18 by tankskun »

Offline zzkhan1996

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 18:42:16 »
Please can you consider to add Zfrontier as the vendor in Asia as well? I can't get it if it's on Ilumkb

Offline artyboy

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 23:09:15 »
Would you also consider deskhero for a Canadian vendor?

Offline cicy1030

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 00:28:45 »
Split the numpad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 02:36:39 »
Split the numpad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumb:

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:34:07 »
Hello, sorry for the lack of updates lately, but there are a few things.

Kono is going to post an apology message here shortly describing what happened and I hope everyone will take a look and appreciate it.
For the splitting the numpad, I am going opt for it, I am trying to slim the base kit enough to make it reach the sub-$110 range. I do believe that this set will reach a high MOQ and I think splitting the numpad would be appropriate in this case. Maybe I'm wrong about it, but this is what I believe is an appropriate choice to make on an established and popular set, especially one many people have missed out on in the first round. I also am going to opt against the text+icon mod kits, because I don't think there is a high enough demand for it.

I am also happy to announce Proto[Typist] for the EU proxy and I hope everyone is happy with that choice.

These are more or less going to be the final kits I'd imagine, but I'm still free to suggestions at the moment:
More
Base Kit

Numpad Kit

Kobe/Mono Hiragana Kit

Obscure Kit

Spacebar Kit

Hmm, lemme check if Apex Keyboard would be down.

Please can you consider to add Zfrontier as the vendor in Asia as well? I can't get it if it's on Ilumkb
I was thinking about having them as the Chinese vendor, lemme go ask them if they're willing to be a proxy though.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
Re: [IC] GMK Shoko 2nd Style「Almost in Group Buy hopefully」
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:38:35 »
i'm happy you're splitting the numpad but please reconsider adding the text + icon mod kit

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:56:12 »
These are more or less going to be the final kits I'd imagine, but I'm still free to suggestions at the moment:
More
Base Kit
Show Image

Numpad Kit
Show Image

Kobe/Mono Hiragana Kit
Show Image

Obscure Kit
Show Image

Spacebar Kit
Show Image

Given the decision to split, the kits are looking really good atm. +1 for deciding to use 1.5u Function instead of another Super. That gives it ever so slightly more versatility, while not compromising too much.

Two things:
1) Are the 6u spacebars going to be centered stem or off-centered stem?
2) I don't think the 1.75u space in the Obscure kit is going to be useful in and of itself. Afaik, only three 40% boards use this key (Vortex Core, Daisy, JD40), the latter of which actually requires two of them. Maybe consider including a 1.25u space key instead? More boards use it, and it's a useful key for split spacebar in general (e.g. 2.75+1.25+2.25, 2+1.25 Alice setups etc.).

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:05:03 »
More
Base Kit
Show Image

Numpad Kit
Show Image

Kobe/Mono Hiragana Kit
Show Image

Obscure Kit
Show Image

Spacebar Kit
Show Image

Given the decision to split, the kits are looking really good atm. +1 for deciding to use 1.5u Function instead of another Super. That gives it ever so slightly more versatility, while not compromising too much.

Two things:
1) Are the 6u spacebars going to be centered stem or off-centered stem?
2) I don't think the 1.75u space in the Obscure kit is going to be useful in and of itself. Afaik, only three 40% boards use this key (Vortex Core, Daisy, JD40), the latter of which actually requires two of them. Maybe consider including a 1.25u space key instead? More boards use it, and it's a useful key for split spacebar in general (e.g. 2.75+1.25+2.25, 2+1.25 Alice setups etc.).

1) They are going to be centered, I probably should mention that.
2) I actually haven't seen anyone suggest it yet when I asked the 40% Discord about changes that should be made to the 40's kit a while back, but I'll keep it in mind.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:33:04 »
awwwwww yeah!!  Hiragana kit makes the cut.  I'm psyched!  Thanks for all your hard work and communication, ray!

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:34:19 »
Please do not split numpad, it costs ~9$ to add to base from gmk, adds ~29$ raw cost as a kit. That aside, glad to hear things are sorting out.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:37:35 by Tennstrong »

Offline Blank

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:18:46 »

Kono is going to post an apology message here shortly describing what happened and I hope everyone will take a look and appreciate it.
For the splitting the numpad, I am going opt for it, I am trying to slim the base kit enough to make it reach the sub-$110 range. I do believe that this set will reach a high MOQ and I think splitting the numpad would be appropriate in this case. Maybe I'm wrong about it, but this is what I believe is an appropriate choice to make on an established and popular set, especially one many people have missed out on in the first round. I also am going to opt against the text+icon mod kits, because I don't think there is a high enough demand for it.

I am also happy to announce Proto[Typist] for the EU proxy and I hope everyone is happy with that choice.

More
Base Kit
Show Image

Numpad Kit
Show Image

Kobe/Mono Hiragana Kit
Show Image

Obscure Kit
Show Image

Spacebar Kit
Show Image

I was thinking about having them as the Chinese vendor, lemme go ask them if they're willing to be a proxy though.

Problem with prototypist is that they are not a part of EU anymore

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:59:57 »
Totally dig that set!

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:28:13 »
Since I don’t have icon mods for r1, splitting numpad is huge plus for me. Looking forward to getting more more kits ;D

Offline belerian

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 09:24:46 »
Great news that the kits are being split! Although it would have been nice to also keep the 1.75U Function key for CapsLock in the base kit :(

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 09:38:19 »
Great news that the kits are being split! Although it would have been nice to also keep the 1.75U Function key for CapsLock in the base kit :(

As someone who uses Fn on Caps Lock on most of their keyboards, I actually think it's fine this way. The down arrow icon is fairly vague and leaves a lot open to interpretation, so it can also serve as an Fn key. Furthermore, having a “Function” text modifier in the middle of icon mods doesn't look so nice imo.

Problem with prototypist is that they are not a part of EU anymore

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105650.msg2887229#msg2887229

tl;dr: It doesn't matter because the GB is going to take place before 2021.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 09:46:46 by konstantin »

Offline CaptainVinceO2

• ApexKeyboards
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 10:40:07 »

More
Base Kit
Show Image

Numpad Kit
Show Image

Kobe/Mono Hiragana Kit
Show Image

Obscure Kit
Show Image

Spacebar Kit
Show Image

Hey! I don't usually run GMK sets but a lot of people pm'd me to proxy so feel free to pm me at ApexKeyboards#0001 on discord to discuss the info. If it doesn't work out I'll get you in touch with Deskhero who usually runs GMK sets.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:50:01 »
Glad to read there's good news for Shoko!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 12:29:29 »
Normally I'm not a fan of splitting the numpad away from the base kit, but I have the perfect TKL for this set.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 12:30:35 »
Normally I'm not a fan of splitting the numpad away from the base kit, but I have the perfect TKL for this set.

Haha, split it!

Offline skolty

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:15:42 »
Hi, sorry for the dumb question but I've never participated in a group buy before so I don't completely understand how they work tbh.

It says on Kono that it is sold out, but is that accurate? Basically I'm trying to figure out if it will open back up and if I can still buy it on Kono. I love these keycaps and just wanted to see if I'm too late or not

Offline belerian

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:26:20 »
Hi, sorry for the dumb question but I've never participated in a group buy before so I don't completely understand how they work tbh.

It says on Kono that it is sold out, but is that accurate? Basically I'm trying to figure out if it will open back up and if I can still buy it on Kono. I love these keycaps and just wanted to see if I'm too late or not

You're not too late. The group buy has not been started yet so you will be able to buy the set from Kono in the near future.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:34:42 »
Beautiful!
Will join, 100%.

Offline Kono Store

• Kono Store
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:50:04 »
Hello everyone! We apologize to RaySasQuach / Shoko for jumping the gun and handling his resulting discomfort poorly. He’s a talented designer and we enjoy working with him. After addressing next steps for Shoko R2, we’ll describe what happened — it’s an opportunity for transparency and growth.

Shoko R2 Status: Paused

We’re placing the group buy on hold temporarily (new sales have stopped) and awaiting Ray’s kit update completion timeline. This will delay set production due to redesigns / requotes / new renders, the pandemic’s global fallout, and later production slots. Easy cancellations / complete refunds / store credits are available for anyone who doesn’t want to keep their Shoko R2 order. If you keep your order, or want to change it, we’ll update it via some edits later on (may require a second payment or refund if GMK changes quote amounts).

What Happened?

RaySasQuach was unable to make certain critical decisions during Shoko R1. To ensure production, Kono had to take the initiative and make time-sensitive choices about his set. Ray was pleased with our results, and we assumed that he was handling a personal problem, so it seemed like a functional working relationship.

After authorizing Shoko R2 in our designer chatroom, Ray was offline for a while. He gave us a source for kits much later; we thought they were fully updated so we forged ahead. We were accustomed to keeping things in motion, so we didn’t push for additional communications as the group buy took form and launched.

Ray’s group buy halt request arrived on April 10. We were under peak pressure due to the pandemic and an unexpectedly early shipping shutdown at our warehouse. Context aside, our response was lame. His missive was a surprise and we had tunnel vision about running the set as it was quoted. After reviewing the situation, we followed up with Ray directly — no mass messages were sent until he was in the loop.

Kono apologizes to the community for this disruption. Kono & RaySasQuach will move forward, fix communications, and deliver Shoko R2. Thank you for supporting his vision!

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:52:27 »
Hello everyone! We apologize to RaySasQuach / Shoko for jumping the gun and handling his resulting discomfort poorly. He’s a talented designer and we enjoy working with him. After addressing next steps for Shoko R2, we’ll describe what happened — it’s an opportunity for transparency and growth.

We’re placing the group buy on hold temporarily (new sales have stopped) and awaiting Ray’s kit update completion timeline. This will delay set production due to redesigns / requotes / new renders, the pandemic’s global fallout, and later production slots. Easy cancellations / complete refunds / store credits are available for anyone who doesn’t want to keep their Shoko R2 order. If you keep your order, or want to change it, we’ll update it via some edits later on (may require a second payment or refund if GMK changes quote amounts).

What Happened?

RaySasQuach was unable to make certain critical decisions during Shoko R1. To ensure production, Kono had to take the initiative and make time-sensitive choices about his set. Ray was pleased with our results, and we assumed that he was handling a personal problem, so it seemed like a functional working relationship.

After authorizing Shoko R2 in our designer chatroom, Ray was offline for a while. He gave us a source for kits much later; we thought they were fully updated so we forged ahead. We were accustomed to keeping things in motion, so we didn’t push for additional communications as the group buy took form and launched.

Ray’s group buy halt request arrived on April 10. We were under peak pressure due to the pandemic and an unexpectedly early shipping shutdown at our warehouse. Context aside, our response was lame. His missive was a surprise and we had tunnel vision about running the set as it was quoted. After reviewing the situation, we followed up with Ray directly — no mass messages were sent until he was in the loop.

Kono apologizes to the community for this disruption. Kono & RaySasQuach will move forward, fix communications, and deliver Shoko R2. Thank you for supporting his vision!

Glad things are sorted out. I hope communication between designer and vendor only continues to improve from here on out  :thumb:

Offline Scucka

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:53:17 »

What Happened?

:thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:03:06 »
ALL IN.
ALL IN.
ALL IN.