Author Topic: what keyboard should i buy " dont rinse me "  (Read 5430 times)

Offline sumtingwong699

what keyboard should i buy " dont rinse me "
« on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:46:55 »
Hi all. i am new to mechanical keyboard world and its getting to my head as I don't know what to buy (my first proper keyboard ). I don't know too much about mc keyboards ( I legit struggled registering cause it asked some weird question at the end about usb and tkl which i had to google lol ). So I been looking at stuff like ducky one 2 mini and fanatic 65% keyboards to buy. however I don't know what I should get as there's soo many options on YouTube reviews i feel like are biased. i want something that feels good like cherry brown switch and not too complex I can use without having to do any fancy lubing to. Ideally plug and play straight from the box :D. also black friday is coming up so will there be good discounts on keyboards you recommend or the two i mentioned above.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: what keyboard should i buy " dont rinse me "
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 11:39:34 »
If you want a nice prebuilt board you can do a lot worse than a Ducky with PBT keycaps, they can do a good impression of a Christmas tree too if we're not allowed out to get one this year   Never heard of the fanatic and without a manufacturer can't search for it...

As for what 'feels good' there's only one person who has your fingers to be able to answer that.  Browns are widely disliked in enthusiast circles because they are neither linear nor properly tactile as they only have a small bump, but if you've tried and like them don't be put off by anything you read.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sumtingwong699

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 12:05:55 »
the fnatic one is called " streak 65 " i dont think its relased yet but i saw a few reviews of it. and i havent had the sense of brown keys as iv never owned a mechanical keyboard so i went of the reviews and what they say they do. something simple yet good that will last me straight out the box would be nice.

Offline garciawork

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 18:09:34 »
Bring on the hate but... I really like the GMMK, it being hot swappable means you can easily try most switches quickly and figure out what you REALLY want. And if you decide you don't like the board in the end, you know what switches you like, and can order a board with them. Plus, lame as it is, RGB is really fun... If you KNOW you like a certain switch though cherry, I also have a leopold that is fantastic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:04:33 »
You're gonna buy at least 10+ keyboards if you hang out here long enough. 

So which keyboard should you buy FIRST ?  Well, it doesn't matter, you'll know more when you're around the 5th keyboard. 

Offline sumtingwong699

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 03:25:36 »
i really just want one keyboard to suit it all  :'( :'(

Offline sumtingwong699

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 03:27:37 »
Bring on the hate but... I really like the GMMK, it being hot swappable means you can easily try most switches quickly and figure out what you REALLY want. And if you decide you don't like the board in the end, you know what switches you like, and can order a board with them. Plus, lame as it is, RGB is really fun... If you KNOW you like a certain switch though cherry, I also have a leopold that is fantastic.

whats the gmmk called or can u link me it pls? thanks

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 04:04:43 »
to be honest the board that got me sucked in all that was the model M, "cheap" and easy to get in any layout new but quite noisy, my 1st MX compatible was a cheap bear-bone Chinese board on which i put gateron browns and greens, now i know i hate browns...

the GMMK is the Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard from PC Gaming Race (https://www.pcgamingrace.com/) i never tried it but it seems like the perfect keyboard for a beginner.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 06:59:12 »
Pretty much anything you find on mechanicalkeyboards.com or kbdfans.com will work well but I'll second or third  GMMk.

It's a good deal for the money and if you damage it (very possible with hot swap), you aren't out a lot of money (you can buy the bare board and/or replace just that).  Meanwhile you can get a better understanding of the finer points of keyboards and figure out what you want out of your next one. It's kind of hard to go wrong with it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 18:51:24 »

So which keyboard should you buy FIRST ?  Well, it doesn't matter, you'll know more when you're around the 5th keyboard. 

I love this.

Offline sumtingwong699

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 09:00:59 »

I love this.

:(

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 11:48:38 »
If you want one keyboard it's quite possible - until you get an office job when you'll probably want a second with the added requirement of it being quiet.  Just because most people here have a propensity for buying more than they need doesn't mean you have to!

You're in the UK so be aware that anything you buy from abroad may cost an extra £8 'handling fee' plus 20% of the value of the goods in import tax, as well as current delays due to covid.  In your position I'd buy a Ducky and stop reading/watching enthusiast reviews as most 'normal' people don't even know lubing switches is a thing.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 13:18:23 »
If you want one keyboard it's quite possible - until you get an office job when you'll probably want a second with the added requirement of it being quiet.  Just because most people here have a propensity for buying more than they need doesn't mean you have to!

You're in the UK so be aware that anything you buy from abroad may cost an extra £8 'handling fee' plus 20% of the value of the goods in import tax, as well as current delays due to covid.  In your position I'd buy a Ducky and stop reading/watching enthusiast reviews as most 'normal' people don't even know lubing switches is a thing.

Yes,  Let's just do Heroin ONCE.. just once.... mayyybe a second time with that cute emo girl you met , but that's it twice, just twice..

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 13:29:43 »
Buy a realforce 87u or hhkb and just be done with the hobby. No sense in trying to "figure out a switch" when you can just get the best... Stock Topre.

Offline perry4761

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:43:24 »
Buy a realforce 87u or hhkb and just be done with the hobby. No sense in trying to "figure out a switch" when you can just get the best... Stock Topre.

In all seriousness, topre is nice but it's not for everyone, and it's definitely not something I would suggest to someone who does not even know if they prefer tactility, linearity or clickiness. Even among the people who like tactility, it's popularity is not unanimous.

I would suggest something that is hotswappable as a first keyboard if you're interested in trying out many types of switches. People have suggested the GMMK, I would add one of the DROP CTRL/ALT/SHIFT to that list, as well the GMMK Pro to the list. Pick the one you like the most based on price, looks and by choosing if you want a knob or not. It's a good introduction to the custom scene as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 20:42:44 »
Hot swap is silly . It's easier to buy 10 keyboards, than to go through the labor of swapping out 87 keys 10 times.

Do it just 1 time, and you'll realize why people don't bother to swap keys a second time.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 02:14:23 »
Hot swap is silly . It's easier to buy 10 keyboards, than to go through the labor of swapping out 87 keys 10 times.

Do it just 1 time, and you'll realize why people don't bother to swap keys a second time.

I swap switches all the time, it's fun!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 12:48:01 »
I swap switches all the time, it's fun!

I don't doubt NoteMakoti is having fun,     but many peeps find hotswap extremely tedious.  But if that's your jam. Hey.

Offline Error213

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:14:43 »
Any leopold keyboard. Found on mechanicalkeyboards.com

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 14:28:23 »
NK 65 Entry  :thumb:

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 15:19:26 »
nk65ee with cherry brown
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 21:32:25 »
NK65 Entry Edition has been "due next month" for the last 4 months.

Don't hold your breath.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 22:00:24 »
NK65 Entry Edition has been "due next month" for the last 4 months.

Don't hold your breath.
They just said they'd restock for black friday.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 23:34:55 »
Oops I guess it was less than 4 months...

Last resupply was a month ago.
They lasted a bit over 2 hours and the email notification of being in stock never even had a chance to go out before they were once again out of stock. Being this time of year, plus people even more desperate for computer stuff, good luck getting one.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 09:34:46 »
RTX 3090....

Show Image

wrong thread TP :) talking keyboards here
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 10:57:13 »

Idk man tried 4 Topre boards and its Nopre for me.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline sumtingwong699

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 13:39:10 »
so after a lot of headaches reading and watching more videos I think I will be going with the durghod venus 60% :D

Offline RN Wong

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:08:40 »
Disclaimer: feel free to flame me if you see anything heinous or disgustingly wrong, I'm pretty sure I don't know much more than OP, and I've been too afraid to start chatting for help given my initial experience learning the hobby through r/MK after watching popular YouTube streamers, and finally finding Geekhack through Taeha/KristoferYee. I've only physically owned a Ducky O2M w/Box Whites and a gamer-brand linear board for about a year, and am just now getting into purchasing parts from group buys to eventually build a custom board myself. Still looking to try to get into the NK65 batch releasing for Black Friday, or a KBD67 Lite or Tofu65 otherwise for my first build, along with Zilents v2 to satisfy my family cries from clickies on my Ducky, and the live GMK Honor keycap set for the future.

The Venus 60% seems to be a competitor for the Ducky Mecha Mini (Aluminum version for One 2 Mini), and it seems like a really strong choice given the bigger selection of switch options outside of standard Cherry MX (I found aftermarket kailh (cherry MX clone type) switch choices on Amazon from the US, HK Gaming main website was out of stock and I don't know the situation for availability in the UK). Unless I missed something earlier in the thread, it seems like you've settled on a 60% board, however, if you haven't, be sure to take into consideration what keys you'll be missing. Since this will be your first board AFAIK, you're likely going from a full-size board and are going to have to sacrifice actual keys for the smaller form factor: including the numbpad, numerous function keys, and of course arrow keys (some 60% layouts have arrow keys instead of certain bottom-right function keys, but the boards mentioned including the GMMK have no physical arrow keys) in favor of layers on the remaining keys that will make up the 60% board. Many people here will discourage the MX Brown suggestion you threw out, but if you haven't tried any mechanical switches before (linear, tactile, clicky), they are at the end of the day still an extremely popular switch that you can use as a baseline reference to discuss alternatives in the future if you don't end up liking them, many people have tried cherry browns, and many still use them. I've had the chance of using a board with browns, and I found them much more enjoyable to use than a membrane board, albeit less tactile than I'd like. They felt close to linear switches when not just pressing a single key to find the slight "tactile" bump, but you can do a lot worse for your first switch. Anyways, I'm happy to see that you were willing to stick yourself out (unlike how I started, INFP here who didn't want to start up fights with my lack of knowledge) and dive right into your first board, given that there's so much to learn about when starting out, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your first board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:42:17 by RN Wong »

NK65v2 e-white~lubed 67g Zilents v2~GMK Honor [awaiting GB]

Offline sumtingwong699

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 06:49:31 »
Disclaimer: feel free to flame me if you see anything heinous or disgustingly wrong, I'm pretty sure I don't know much more than OP, and I've been too afraid to start chatting for help given my initial experience learning the hobby through r/MK after watching popular YouTube streamers, and finally finding Geekhack through Taeha/KristoferYee. I've only physically owned a Ducky O2M w/Box Whites and a gamer-brand linear board for about a year, and am just now getting into purchasing parts from group buys to eventually build a custom board myself. Still looking to try to get into the NK65 batch releasing for Black Friday, or a KBD67 Lite or Tofu65 otherwise for my first build, along with Zilents v2 to satisfy my family cries from clickies on my Ducky, and the live GMK Honor keycap set for the future.

The Venus 60% seems to be a competitor for the Ducky Mecha Mini (Aluminum version for One 2 Mini), and it seems like a really strong choice given the bigger selection of switch options outside of standard Cherry MX (I found aftermarket kailh (cherry MX clone type) switch choices on Amazon from the US, HK Gaming main website was out of stock and I don't know the situation for availability in the UK). Unless I missed something earlier in the thread, it seems like you've settled on a 60% board, however, if you haven't, be sure to take into consideration what keys you'll be missing. Since this will be your first board AFAIK, you're likely going from a full-size board and are going to have to sacrifice actual keys for the smaller form factor: including the numbpad, numerous function keys, and of course arrow keys (some 60% layouts have arrow keys instead of certain bottom-right function keys, but the boards mentioned including the GMMK have no physical arrow keys) in favor of layers on the remaining keys that will make up the 60% board. Many people here will discourage the MX Brown suggestion you threw out, but if you haven't tried any mechanical switches before (linear, tactile, clicky), they are at the end of the day still an extremely popular switch that you can use as a baseline reference to discuss alternatives in the future if you don't end up liking them, many people have tried cherry browns, and many still use them. I've had the chance of using a board with browns, and I found them much more enjoyable to use than a membrane board, albeit less tactile than I'd like. They felt close to linear switches when not just pressing a single key to find the slight "tactile" bump, but you can do a lot worse for your first switch. Anyways, I'm happy to see that you were willing to stick yourself out (unlike how I started, INFP here who didn't want to start up fights with my lack of knowledge) and dive right into your first board, given that there's so much to learn about when starting out, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your first board.

:D durhgod venus on its way. i got the gateron browns "as it was cheaper " hehe.  I will 100% be satisfied with it as it would be definitely better then my current board which iv had for some time now ( I paid £5 for it on shpock xd ) . i still have a shocking pc from 2016 but slowly slowly I'm building my setup. currently have a decent mouse mat from razer( will upgrade ). a nice razer viper mini mouse which I'm in love with ( recent purchase ) and old razer headphone ( will upgrade ). all that's left is a monitor, PC, headphone, mouse mat and keyboard ( on its way :D )