Author Topic: [IC] [Keyset] Ocean Basalt (2.0)  (Read 39180 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
[IC] [Keyset] Ocean Basalt (2.0)
« on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 03:30:34 »
Ocean Basalt

This set is called Ocean Basalt - a set designed as an antidote to the very bright 'themed' sets that so often come out of PMK. This is a set for everyone who thinks that a keyset should be refined, attractive and understated. It is intended as a DCS set, although other profiles have not been ruled out. It is fairly similar to Danger Zone, but it is a bit more muted and toned down which I think would make it appropriate for work environments as well as home use.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this set.

KBL Links

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/3363c45458f3a068649b0d4c154a73fb - Base and Numpad Kits
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/8adcd71904748824bfa272c3d315cfc4 - Brit Kit
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/f8a883a4d7784271fd6514fb4f0ca8bb - Alternate F-Keys
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/ffed360ab48006f98eea457908dda7d6 - Alternate Arrows
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/7c4ad0241f377b00d81e0ad44af85829 - D-79 Kit
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:46:34 by Dihedral »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: [IC] [Keyset] Ocean Basalt
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 04:19:12 »
I'll make the same comment I always make on ICs and that is that I would prefer true pseudo symmetry to the standard mod/character colour split, so `~ 1! and \| should all be blue.  Or perhaps make Del End PgDn grey and call the stripe a feature?  The standard split is aesthetically weird to me, though everyone else must think it's fine...

Other than that it looks nice and the legends have good contrast so it's usable, but it lacks the NSFW colourfulness to grab my intention.  I guess I'm not your target audience :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 04:34:21 »
I'll make the same comment I always make on ICs and that is that I would prefer true pseudo symmetry to the standard mod/character colour split, so `~ 1! and \| should all be blue.

To be honest, I agree. The problem is that I get shouted at when I don't do it 'properly' :P

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 13:48:43 »
I'll make the same comment I always make on ICs and that is that I would prefer true pseudo symmetry to the standard mod/character colour split, so `~ 1! and \| should all be blue.  Or perhaps make Del End PgDn grey and call the stripe a feature?  The standard split is aesthetically weird to me, though everyone else must think it's fine...

Other than that it looks nice and the legends have good contrast so it's usable, but it lacks the NSFW colourfulness to grab my intention.  I guess I'm not your target audience :)

I've updated the kits to match your ideas. I think a lot of other people would agree. I'm following the lead of the danger zone set which did something similar.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 13:58:29 »

I've updated the kits to match your ideas. I think a lot of other people would agree. I'm following the lead of the danger zone set which did something similar.
You've still missed 1! so it's not possible to make it (pseudo) symmetrical as backspace is bigger than \| but `¬ is smaller than tab :p

You do have the blue \| in the Brit Kit though which is usually another peeve :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:55:45 »
I like it. Dark and cool colors. Which PMK keycap profile are you going to choose? I would prefer DCS or SA.

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:55:42 »
I like the more muted colors. This would look pretty snazzy. I'm also interested in knowing what profile the keys would be in. SA would be pretty awesome.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 01:30:37 »
I like it. Dark and cool colors. Which PMK keycap profile are you going to choose? I would prefer DCS or SA.

I like the more muted colors. This would look pretty snazzy. I'm also interested in knowing what profile the keys would be in. SA would be pretty awesome.

I don't like the look of DSA even though I haven't used it so I'm thinking DCS or SA. Probably DCS.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 01:31:38 »

You've still missed 1! so it's not possible to make it (pseudo) symmetrical as backspace is bigger than \| but `¬ is smaller than tab :p

You do have the blue \| in the Brit Kit though which is usually another peeve :)

Do people do that? I would hate having one number different to all the other colours. I guess I could add it regardless.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 07:37:17 »
Well, you asked for feedback, so here are my thoughts...

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but I feel like people who like the colorway will go with Danger Zone, as it has more coverage, and people who don't like the colorway won't get either. Of course, I could be totally off-base. I realize Ocean Basalt is not the same as Danger Zone, but I feel like it scratches the same itch.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:31:42 »
Do people do that [1! in mod colour]? I would hate having one number different to all the other colours. I guess I could add it regardless.
No, no-one has ever done that that I've seen.

To me there are two options - go for a hardline mod/character split and accept that \| is going to look weird and the top left won't be pretty, or go for aesthetics/symmetry by changing three keys.  Somehow most people prefer neither option, instead opting for a half-assed compromise with one or two of the three changed, with no logic behind the split :confused:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:37:47 »
I'll make the same comment I always make on ICs and that is that I would prefer true pseudo symmetry to the standard mod/character colour split, so `~ 1! and \| should all be blue.
:))
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:42:03 »
Well, you asked for feedback, so here are my thoughts...

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but I feel like people who like the colorway will go with Danger Zone, as it has more coverage, and people who don't like the colorway won't get either. Of course, I could be totally off-base. I realize Ocean Basalt is not the same as Danger Zone, but I feel like it scratches the same itch.

That's very fair. I was concerned with the similarities with Danger Zone, so I didn't want to start this IC too soon, but I didn't get any responses in the Keycap thread. I hope that it can find a niche with those who like all these PMK sets but find them a bit too bright and not really suitable for some environments (not least an office).

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:42:39 »
Do people do that [1! in mod colour]? I would hate having one number different to all the other colours. I guess I could add it regardless.

To me there are two options - go for a hardline mod/character split and accept that \| is going to look weird and the top left won't be pretty, or go for aesthetics/symmetry by changing three keys.  Somehow most people prefer neither option, instead opting for a half-assed compromise with one or two of the three changed, with no logic behind the split :confused:

Well, the choice is there now for people who want to be half-assed :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 08:50:54 »

Well, the choice is there now for people who don't want to be half-assed :)

In that case I'll have to buy it :thumb:  Will be interesting to see how many people go for the pretty option once they have it...

:p
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:00:27 »

Well, the choice is there now for people who don't want to be half-assed :)

In that case I'll have to buy it :thumb:  Will be interesting to see how many people go for the pretty option once they have it...

:p

Unrelated, but I updated the D-79 thread. Tell me what you think in that thread :)

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 15:21:48 »
Actually, for symmetry's sake, backspace should be dropped one row in the ANSI layout, backslash/pipe should be moved one row up next to the equals/plus key, and another printable character (perhaps the one I see on Maltrons, ¬, plus a Euro/Yen/Pound/Yuan symbol). I'm not quite sure why backspace was condemned to Siberia on the keyboard, anyway, since it's used so often.

Of course, then it would be seriously non-standard, and touch typers would start gnawing off their little fingers in frustration. Still, I think it should be closer to the action (the backspace on my TypeMatrix is hit by either index finger, and that is quite nice when you get used to it, though I wish T wasn't so close to the left one).
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2015, 15:25:19 by Snarfangel »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 15:40:46 »
I like it, but at the same time it's a little plain and needs something to "draw" me in.

Overall theme is great. When I saw the red and orange ESC keys I was hoping for more of those colors, the orange especially. Perhaps some modifiers/novelties with that orange?
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:33:38 »
I like it, but at the same time it's a little plain and needs something to "draw" me in.

Overall theme is great. When I saw the red and orange ESC keys I was hoping for more of those colors, the orange especially. Perhaps some modifiers/novelties with that orange?

I'm feeling the same thing too. There isn't really any "hook" here. It's lacks character. Even with most of the muted classic colors like biege, dolch, olivetti, etc. there is some story with them. If people want this dark blue scheme while not the same Danger Zone is in IC right now. Sorry I don't mean to sound too harsh, but with this color scheme I can't see too many people getting hype or throwing their money at this. :(

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 01:04:39 »

I kinda like plain keysets. I feel that the blue mods would look better irl. I will look in to some more interesting mods

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: [IC] [Keyset] Ocean Basalt - New Dark Variant
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:02:31 »
New dark variant! Appreciate your thoughts

Offline Heliobb

Re: [IC] [Keyset] Ocean Basalt - New Variants
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:57:04 »
Same picture for the dark and the volcanic.

Like the dark variant. Will buy DSA PBT keyset with this colors. :)
Novatouch TKL - Leopold FC660C - PBT my life.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:41:02 »

Fixed. It will probably be abs though

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:46:25 »

Fixed. It will probably be abs though

Thanks will probably take it too.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: [IC] [Keyset] Ocean Basalt (2.0)
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:45:18 »
Revision 2.0! Due to feedback from here and reddit, I have adopted the Dark Kit as standard and added extra kits to change the function keys, arrow keys etc. I hope you like it, don't hesitate to give me feedback and if you would buy this set tell me!

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:40:25 »
Revision 2.0! Due to feedback from here and reddit, I have adopted the Dark Kit as standard and added extra kits to change the function keys, arrow keys etc. I hope you like it, don't hesitate to give me feedback and if you would buy this set tell me!

Very good work. What's the next step ? :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 01:24:52 »

Very good work. What's the next step ? :)

Go to pmk I guess :)

Offline hairy9802

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 07:43:21 »
i like the 2.0 design. Very good work.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 07:58:33 »
i like the 2.0 design. Very good work.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 11:40:29 »
The first version felt like a blue dolch to me.  I liked it.  I wasn't sure about the change to darker alphas but the more I see it, the harder it is to imagine this set with lighter alphas.  I also like that you chose a different shade of blue for the function row.  I really like the yellow escape key. I'm getting tired of seeing red escape keys.  And I'm glad to see that you didn't include yellow arrow keys.  I think that would have made the concept too bright.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 11:52:07 »
The first version felt like a blue dolch to me.  I liked it.  I wasn't sure about the change to darker alphas but the more I see it, the harder it is to imagine this set with lighter alphas.  I also like that you chose a different shade of blue for the function row.  I really like the yellow escape key. I'm getting tired of seeing red escape keys.  And I'm glad to see that you didn't include yellow arrow keys.  I think that would have made the concept too bright.

"I wasn't sure about the change to darker alphas but the more I see it, the harder it is to imagine this set with lighter alphas." I felt the same way. I'm glad you like the set

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:22:12 »
Bump, I'd love to get some more opinions on this set.

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 08:34:05 »
Definitely want to use this layout with alternate arrow key and function keycaps. Love to have the same dark blue.

Great job. Can't wait to see them produce.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 05:58:48 »
Bump - still interested in feedback for this. Not convinced there is enough interest for a GB yet.

Offline BreakThings

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 13:52:33 »

http://bit.ly/1FIR97f

Centered the labels and bumped the font size. Also changed the toprow back to numbers I like the classier look but I'm interested to hear what the community has to say.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 13:58:27 by BreakThings »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 09:30:11 »
Show Image

http://bit.ly/1FIR97f

Centered the labels and bumped the font size. Also changed the toprow back to numbers I like the classier look but I'm interested to hear what the community has to say.

I prefer the original, but I'm interested to see what other people think of this alternative design. Thanks for taking the time to make it!

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 07:07:34 »
Nice version Breakthings

Offline MagicMan

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 23:00:29 »
I do like this set the colors are nice, I like the darker blue. I also do prefer the centered labels it looks cleaner to me. Great work.
Max Keyboard - Cherry MX blue

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 15:18:26 »
Do like.