Author Topic: [IC] Godspeed75 - The Speedster Themed 75% (GB Date, Proxies and Pricing!)  (Read 36089 times)

Offline fropsie

"I am judge, jury and executioner. So I call myself... Godspeed."

Introducing the Godspeed75Designed by fropsie & BlindAssassin111

Inspired by the antihero speedster Godspeed, the Godspeed75 is a 75% top mount keyboard featuring a USB-C daughterboard and USB-A hub.
The minimal design of the board is based off of the sleek and simple look of the golden villain.

Updates

1/10/2020
After looking through many responses, as well as taking in votes from the IC form, some big changes have been made to the board itself, as well as what is offered for it.
  • The Death of Speed colorway (Black/Gold) has been removed, as <10% of the votes were for that color way, the best choice that could be made is to remove it in order to assist those who are indecisive, like myself.
  • The design of the board itself has been modified in order to give the board more of a unique shape and appearance, while maintaining the top of the case. All other features will be kept the same, such as the USB-C and USB pass through daughterboard, as well as the 0.75u blockers. I have no plans to change the formfactor of the board to 65 (as many have requested) and no other changes will be made to the design of the board nor the features offered.

1/21/2020
  • GB Date has officially revealed!

Details
  • Case Angle: 5°
  • Default Plate material: Brass
  • Additional Plates: For the sake of simplicity, the plate file will be made open source.
  • Mounting Style: Top mount
  • PCB: Custom Godspeed75 PCB designed by BlindAssassin111
  • Weight of board (Alu): 2.28kg / 5.03lbs
  • Weight of board (PC): 1.41kg / 3.12lbs
  • Current Vendors: TheKey.Company, zFrontier, Daily Clack, CandyKeys & Deskhero
  • Pricing: $380 + Shipping per colorway
  • GB Date: Friday, January 24th 2020
  • Available layout + options:

What's to come

• Launch the GB!

Colorways & RendersScroll down to see what the top of the case looks like with keycaps on!

Godspeed edition
Themed after the antihero's iconic Gold and White suit, it only makes sense to feature the same colors on the keyboard inspired by him.

Zoom edition
Based on the corrupt speedster Zoom, this edition takes the sleek black of the suit with use of a PVD Blue accent to match that of his synthesized speed.

Velocity edition
In order to incorporate the general theme of these fallen speedsters thirst for more speed, it only seemed appropriate to make a variant of the board named velocity, represented by clear polycarbonate and nickel accents.

Keycap renders

GMK Modern Dolch Light

Infinikey BOW & WOB

SA Godspeed

Infinikey Hive

Please be sure to fill out the new IC form

A special thanks to these beauties!
Dazon (Check out Strawberry Lemonade)
Metallic Charles
MiTo
Janglad (Check out GMK Modern Dolch Light)
Zap Cables
TopClack Purple Chat
A very special thanks to .JSON, Rise and the rest of the TKC crew for the phenomenal amount of help and support they have given for this project!
Most of all I would like to thank BlindAssassin111 for working with me to make this project a reality, love you man, you are the best <3
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 19:07:28 by fropsie »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
Re: [IC] Godspeed75
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 02:14:16 »
Big chin and top bezels with thin sides, just how I like it :p

Great to see a POM option for plate given it's unique sound characteristics, and although compact 75% layout usually not for me, it looks great!

Now all we need is SA godspeed renders on it ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 02:16:20 by Agilr »

Offline Quriosity

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 02:14:43 »
Looks great!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Quinella

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 02:21:53 »
cobalt blue pvd from the zoom edition on that ewhite/pc would look amazing but nonetheless nice lookin board

Offline spooknik

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 02:50:05 »
I'd pick a different name.

Offline prototype26

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 02:56:39 »
Just need that price range. Below $350 or above?

Offline masterchris_99

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 03:41:00 »

ohh man I was hoping below 250...  ;D
If this is the case I'm interested in 2 pieces  :thumb:

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 04:32:07 »
Introducting the Godspeed75Designed by fropsie & BlindAssassin111
Might want to correct that really quickly.

I see them symmetrical Dixie blockers. Still not a fan 🤐

I get you're trying to keep the design plain as hell, but it could use a subtle design to tie it together a bit more than just the name (which I too would change), colorway, and cute lightning bolt.

Also RIP ISO bois ☠️

Offline Jaystice

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:07:22 »
I too like my keyboards introducted to me lmao

But besides that super clean board, I cant wait to have a polycarb 75%
Bottom Text

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:47:20 »
Godspeed is a weak hero, he can't even run to Europe  :))
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline halocantkb

• Formerly 'shota_irl'
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 09:29:52 »

ohh man I was hoping below 250...  ;D
If this is the case I'm interested in 2 pieces  :thumb:
that's wayy too low LOL

Offline Tyson

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 10:02:01 »
For those of you who do not know who Godspeed is, he is a fictional character appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. August Heart was established as a detective and one of The Flash (Barry Allen)'s best friends on the police force. When his brother is murdered and the man he suspects is exonerated, he becomes vengeful and eventually gains speed-based superpowers. Donning the identity of Godspeed, Heart becomes a vigilante bent on killing criminals instead of incarcerating them, serving as an antithesis to the Flash. He has been portrayed as both a supervillain and an antihero in the comic books and adapted media since his introduction in 2016.

I love The Flash tv show and can't wait to get this board!
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 10:04:54 by tyson522 »

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 10:05:46 »
This is perfect

Offline Acrimony

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 14:11:15 »
Using Dixie's bauer's blocker style (without credit) and using the name of something already super popular within and outside the community... hard pass.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 14:49:48 »
Wow, I can say dis pointed. I came in thinking this has to do with the keyset. Instead has nothing to do with the keyset or NASA in general. I get where the name came from but hard pass now to much disappointment.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:01:02 »
Using Dixie's bauer's blocker style (without credit) and using the name of something already super popular within and outside the community... hard pass.

Should we diss every WKL TKL the comes out for using the SSK's layout too? I don't believe that layouts need to be credited or claimed by anyone.
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline KLÜTZ

• Washington-based Bespoke Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:57:42 »
Its just too simple. There is no real design language here, and you are using a few designs similar to the Bauer. Pass. Theres just nothing notable about it.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 16:46:41 »

Its just too simple. There is no real design language here, and you are using a few designs similar to the Bauer. Pass. Theres just nothing notable about it.

First and foremost, I didn't design the board, more so just helped fropsie iron it out and helped with my time and skill, So not defending the decisions for the design.

I don't understand where the mentality in the community came from about how you can't have something that remotely looks like something else that no one owns rights to or invented (not actually copying anything unless you actually use someones design to make products). Dixie did use symmetrical blockers on the bauer (looks good, and he did so for a good reason), but he didn't invent symmetry or the blocker or the symmetrical blocker (WKL is the first for all 3 of those, I believe we need to credit IBM here for that) he just made the blockers on his board symmetric for aesthetics which wasn't a thing in 65% boards. Symmetric blockers exist on all WKL TKLs, just because the lockers aren't 1u, doesn't mean they don't accomplish the same purpose aesthetically. Just because it was used in a similar fashion doesn't mean it was a copy, or use without credit (remember he owns no rights to it, and didn't invent it) making something symmetric doesn't require crediting someone who did the same action for a similar purpose.

If you don't like the design that is fine, but don't spread that someone invented something they didn't just because you saw them use it once. Those blockers aren't a necessity on this design or the bauer (could have used another cap instead), but they were both design decisions made because of the preference of the look, neither is a copy of anything. If you wish to call anything a copy you must cite the invention of every single design that invented the feature you used in the design of the board all the way back to the invention of the type-writer and similar devices or the invention of things like fillets, chamfers, aluminum alloys, anodizing, etc. Being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic isn't needed.

Please respect the fact this is an IC and not a witch hunt.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 17:43:39 »

There is no real design language here, and you are using a few designs similar to the Bauer. Pass. Theres just nothing notable about it.

LMFAO

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 21:07:15 »

Wow, I can say dis pointed. I came in thinking this has to do with the keyset. Instead has nothing to do with the keyset or NASA in general. I get where the name came from but hard pass now to much disappointment.

Cry more

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 21:07:21 »

First and foremost, I didn't design the board, more so just helped fropsie iron it out and helped with my time and skill, So not defending the decisions for the design.

I don't understand where the mentality in the community came from about how you can't have something that remotely looks like something else that no one owns rights to or invented (not actually copying anything unless you actually use someones design to make products). Dixie did use symmetrical blockers on the bauer (looks good, and he did so for a good reason), but he didn't invent symmetry or the blocker or the symmetrical blocker (WKL is the first for all 3 of those, I believe we need to credit IBM here for that) he just made the blockers on his board symmetric for aesthetics which wasn't a thing in 65% boards. Symmetric blockers exist on all WKL TKLs, just because the lockers aren't 1u, doesn't mean they don't accomplish the same purpose aesthetically. Just because it was used in a similar fashion doesn't mean it was a copy, or use without credit (remember he owns no rights to it, and didn't invent it) making something symmetric doesn't require crediting someone who did the same action for a similar purpose.

If you don't like the design that is fine, but don't spread that someone invented something they didn't just because you saw them use it once. Those blockers aren't a necessity on this design or the bauer (could have used another cap instead), but they were both design decisions made because of the preference of the look, neither is a copy of anything. If you wish to call anything a copy you must cite the invention of every single design that invented the feature you used in the design of the board all the way back to the invention of the type-writer and similar devices or the invention of things like fillets, chamfers, aluminum alloys, anodizing, etc. Being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic isn't needed.

Please respect the fact this is an IC and not a witch hunt.

We need more people like you.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 21:12:51 »

At least post under your main account if you have feedback to post?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 21:32:19 by mrpetrov »

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 22:15:47 »
This looks sweet! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Super digging that clear polycarb case with black nickel. I'd pair that with the carbon fiber plate. No clue how it would sound but I think it would look badass.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 22:17:44 by Robosculpts »

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 01:08:19 »
usb-a passthrough is an interesting choice, looking forward to how this one will turn out.
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline halocantkb

• Formerly 'shota_irl'
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:00:31 »
love the aesthetic and how clean it is, interested :)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:22:49 »
Nice, we need more boring rectangles.

I don't like the "ortho" appearance of the bottom row, but it's really handsome-looking keyboard. Good job.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:29:35 »
Instead of being an armchair designer, I'll offer some actual productive advice:

• Pick one "edition" and stick with it. Increasing options increases complexity increases risk. You can always come back and run another edition once you've been successful with one.
  • Ditch PVD. We all love how PVD looks, but the rate of error and the need to remake parts put a lot of stress on the manufacturer. Not only that but their standards for what's passable will be different than yours and you'll probably want to have parts remade but the factory won't want to. It sorta sucks but you're going to be happier in the long run when people aren't complaining about 0.25mm specs on their shiny parts. If you need any convincing please look at Xeno for their experience with PVD.

Good luck with your IC and (hopefully) eventual group buy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:31:11 by zekkin »

Offline ACF101015

Re: [IC] Godspeed75 - The Speedster Themed 75%
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 13:24:51 »
Any chance of winkey options?

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 20:48:55 »
The design is really great. But I can't help but wonder if a spaced-out F-row would make it pop more.

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 14:12:43 »
I'm gonna be honest, I am not the biggest fan of 75%, but I might have to get this board solely based off the theme. The Flash is my favorite superhero and this board is dope.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 22:41:09 »
The design is really great. But I can't help but wonder if a spaced-out F-row would make it pop more.

I agree that the F row should be staggered to break up the bulky top that most 75% are.

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:07:42 »
Echoing some of people's thoughts. I like the board, but also think a staggered function row could make it less cluttered, I don't even use those additional keys gained as is. USB-A passthrough is dope, PVD is a huge pain in the ass from what I've seen and simplifying the offering will save everyone time and suffering. Lastly, I believe the whole "copying Dixie" idea is ridiculous, the community is too fixated on this mentality.

Good luck with the IC!

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:48:39 »
I would also prefer a staggered/separated f-row.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:44:41 »
Going to be a combo breaker and say keep the f-row the way it is

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 13:02:29 »
65% > 75% > Staggered, Hot swap PCB please.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 16:00:23 »
Going to be a combo breaker and say keep the f-row the way it is
+1 I dig the f row the way it is.

Offline Rew23

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 00:28:16 »
Looks interesting.

Offline fropsie

UPDATES:
Board has been redesigned in order to look less like a brick, making it more appealing and unique in the process.
The death of speed (Black/Gold) Colorway has been removed due to a lack of appeal, receiving less than 10% of the total votes.
The 3 current color ways will be the final colorways to stick to the board!

The next things to do are:
  • Order Prototypes
  • Get final pricing of the board + accessories
  • More renders
  • Finalize GB date

Offline breckstar

Might be the first wkl board I buy in on ... Like it a lot!

Would have liked to see seamless design too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 January 2020, 08:24:03 by breckstar »

Offline LXVRGS

Shame I liked the old design so much more. Also bummed to see the black and gold go, guess this wasn't meant to be.

Offline braidn

Really digging the wkl love and polycarbonate. Just checking that this might have QMK programmability?

Offline fropsie

Really digging the wkl love and polycarbonate. Just checking that this might have QMK programmability?
The PCB will offer QMK support!

Offline MrFurrior

Any thoughts on ISO compatibility for the PCB?

Offline Jignoni

this one looks nice, the usb hub is interesting.

Offline N8Schrades

Love the angle, compressed f-row, and USB-A pass through, but do not dig the double/symmetrical blockers. hmmmmmmm :-\

Offline Jignoni

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 18:09:16 »
Any chance of winkey options?
+1 on winkey

Offline HotTahdy

I love this design, I hope I can grab one!!!

Offline Butterbeer

For those interested:

According to TheKey.Company website, "GB opens Friday, January 24 at 9pm ET".

Link to group buy: Godspeed 75

Was this date confirmed?

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 20:19:03 by Butterbeer »

Offline MrFurrior

Has this got a limit on the number of each colour? Just wondering if I need to be quick to get in for one...

Offline fropsie

UPDATES:
Board has been redesigned in order to look less like a brick, making it more appealing and unique in the process.
The death of speed (Black/Gold) Colorway has been removed due to a lack of appeal, receiving less than 10% of the total votes.
The 3 current color ways will be the final colorways to stick to the board!

The next things to do are:
  • Order Prototypes
  • Get final pricing of the board + accessories
  • More renders
  • Finalize GB date

GB date and current vendors have been announced!!!
The group buy will be launching on Friday the 24th of January and will sell for $380 + Shipping per board!
Our current vendors are:
TheKey.Company - https://thekey.company/
zFrontier - https://en.zfrontier.com/
Deskhero - https://www.deskhero.ca/