Author Topic: [IC] Evolv | A four year journey complete  (Read 394214 times)

Offline Magas

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 08:12:28 »
This is SICK

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 08:41:07 »
Colors: What you see is what you get, as this is my first keyboard I'd prefer to have one option for simplicity's sake

Based on the renders, it looks like all the cases and bottom pieces are the same colors, but the rotary joysticks seem to have different color options. Will the rotary joysticks have different options for colors, and if so could we purchase multiple to have options for keysets?

Offline nthoftype

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 08:51:23 »
Wow this is beautiful.
Wade / nthoftype

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 09:59:57 »
Excited to see people buy into this and then realize none of their keysets work on it

this is all a scheme to make people buy $50 40s kits they don't need for 1 key

don't buy into the 40% propaganda

enlist in the non 40 army today

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:09:23 »
Excited to see people buy into this and then realize none of their keysets work on it

this is the real conspiracy

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:21:04 »

I’ve looked at this board multiple times is there something I’m not seeing??  :eek:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:21:40 »
Certainly a new design and I like the bottom of the KB.  Please consider ISO in your PCB and Plate.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:05:15 »
What's the name of the keycap set on this?

Show Image

This set doesn't exist, I threw it together quickly solely for rendering purposes.

Colors: What you see is what you get, as this is my first keyboard I'd prefer to have one option for simplicity's sake

Based on the renders, it looks like all the cases and bottom pieces are the same colors, but the rotary joysticks seem to have different color options. Will the rotary joysticks have different options for colors, and if so could we purchase multiple to have options for keysets?

If I can make it work, that's the plan.

Yes.

Certainly a new design and I like the bottom of the KB.  Please consider ISO in your PCB and Plate.

I did consider it, do the nature of the plate it isn't possible at the moment. If I can figure out a way to add ISO support without compromising the integrity of the plate, I will.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:05:45 »
The uniqueness of this is incredible.

That being said, I'm very interested in the plate strength overall.

Example #1:

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:07:58 by The_Royal »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:19:54 »
The uniqueness of this is incredible.

That being said, I'm very interested in the plate strength overall.

Example #1:

Show Image

Show Image

Metal designed to comply with stress =/= Plastic designed to break. Though I enjoy the comparison lol

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:50:53 »
Also, I'm not sure if many people have experience with 7075 in structural applications such as this (aka: Not just a big ol' block)
As someone who has:
The stuff is hella strong and durable compared to regular 6061, and not even really comparable to some of the softer cast alloys.

Offline chits

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:56:34 »
Forgive the ignorance but I'm new to the term 'generative design'. However, in ML, we reference generative/evolutionary algorithms. Was the base designed using an algorithm? Looks wild.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:00:35 »
Forgive the ignorance but I'm new to the term 'generative design'. However, in ML, we reference generative/evolutionary algorithms. Was the base designed using an algorithm? Looks wild.

Yeah, you usually put in some required parameters, and then let it randomly generate the structure. In this case I'm assuming there's a specific area, specific density, maybe even material strength equation, some branching limitation, etc. Then you just let it go to town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_design

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:11:10 »

I’ve looked at this board multiple times is there something I’m not seeing??  :eek:

Nvm I reread the OP and saw the 1.5u R Shift.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:52:08 »
Also, I'm not sure if many people have experience with 7075 in structural applications such as this (aka: Not just a big ol' block)
As someone who has:
The stuff is hella strong and durable compared to regular 6061, and not even really comparable to some of the softer cast alloys.

Thank you for the great and concise explaination :thumb:

Yeah, you usually put in some required parameters, and then let it randomly generate the structure. In this case I'm assuming there's a specific area, specific density, maybe even material strength equation, some branching limitation, etc. Then you just let it go to town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_design

Write-up coming soon!

Offline Delo

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 13:57:02 »
Damn what a cool looking design!

Offline Gert Fischer

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:04:18 »
apart from the layout, this board looks SICK

Offline uhohitsdanny

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:10:04 »
Interested!!

Offline botchm

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:34:31 »
Down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mechanyx

• Feel free to follow me on twitch!
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 16:41:32 »
Definitely interested in this. Love the Knob accent.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 16:43:43 »
this board is ridiculous and I love it
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline hieple

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:21:22 »
This is gonna be my first group buy board purchase.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:27:54 »
This is gonna be my first group buy board purchase.
Haha. It's def a way to start with a bang. I went way cheaper with mine. Lol.

Offline Rew23

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:35:09 »
Looks nuts. I am expecting a pretty hefty price tag to accompany the 3D printed base. However, it still may be worth it given the uniqueness of the board overall. Very cool, will keep a close eye on the progress.

Offline Boshi

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 18:00:25 »
Take my money, this is fire. I’ll be watching this one.

Offline Crack85

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 20:03:16 »
The bottom is really cool, wow

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Inquisitive

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 20:39:30 »
I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Offline YellowHalo

• See You Starside
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 22:57:19 »

The layout uses 1.5u key for shift. There are hardly any sets that have 1.5u shift key. You either have to use other 1.5u r4 keys like control, alt or manu, or 1.5u novelties. I personally am not a fan of using keys in place of spots that are not intended for them. Novelties are fine, some sets comes with 1.5u novelties in their base kit like gmk olive, and some sets don't offer novelties, not even as kits.

I suggested tweaking the layout to use 2u left shift. More sets are starting to include 2u shift in base kits, like GMK Mizu, GMK Fuyu GMK Darling and GMK Future Funk to name a few. The layout will change the stagger and you may need to get used to the layout, though it may be for everyone, but at least it can help to solve the compatibility issue. It would be nice too if the pcb could accept both layouts so you can choose to go with 2u left shift or 1.5u right shift, but I imagine that would add more work to the pcb designer and complicate the plate design, increasing the overall cost.

Offline rondg

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 23:23:31 »
I suggested tweaking the layout to use 2u left shift. More sets are starting to include 2u shift in base kits, like GMK Mizu, GMK Fuyu GMK Darling and GMK Future Funk to name a few. The layout will change the stagger and you may need to get used to the layout, though it may be for everyone, but at least it can help to solve the compatibility issue. It would be nice too if the pcb could accept both layouts so you can choose to go with 2u left shift or 1.5u right shift, but I imagine that would add more work to the pcb designer and complicate the plate design, increasing the overall cost.

I agree. I'm not sure though if there will be a big adjustment on my part, having a 2u left shift key. I am already planning on having a PCB made with that specific layout just to try it out and maybe have a keyboard made based on that layout. The spacing looks so good that I want to try it so bad.

Offline frostfiree

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 00:12:49 »

The layout uses 1.5u key for shift. There are hardly any sets that have 1.5u shift key. You either have to use other 1.5u r4 keys like control, alt or manu, or 1.5u novelties. I personally am not a fan of using keys in place of spots that are not intended for them. Novelties are fine, some sets comes with 1.5u novelties in their base kit like gmk olive, and some sets don't offer novelties, not even as kits.

The issue with doing that is that the plate is integrated and layout is fixed. If he were to allow you to use a smaller left shift, all the alphas would need to stagger and I'm not sure how that work considering the design/cut of that integrated plate.
Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE | Thermal | Kei | GSKT-00 | Duck Orion V3 | U80 | Salvation | 378 | HHKB | Cloudline | Bias | TKL One | Kaze | Jane V2 ME

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 00:13:28 »
Does 1.5u Shift even exist? Checked all my recent sets and found nothing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 00:21:56 by lakeboredom »

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 00:35:48 »
I’m very interested in the acoustic department. All for innovation, even with that 1.5u shift

Offline Datastream

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 05:46:20 »
This is insane. Just wow

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 06:16:37 »
generatively-designed 3d printed 1.5u shift key... Boom problem solved.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:20:36 »
I know it would wreck havoc on the spacing, but did you consider 1.25U RShift?

Offline YellowHalo

• See You Starside
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:30:55 »

The issue with doing that is that the plate is integrated and layout is fixed. If he were to allow you to use a smaller left shift, all the alphas would need to stagger and I'm not sure how that work considering the design/cut of that integrated plate.
Yeah you're right, now that you mentioned it, the integrated plate is quite unique. I didn't notice that the plate was designed with flex cuts. It can have wider holes, but due to the design of the plate, that would compromise the rigidity of the plate.  The plate actually reminded me of the carbon fiber 60% plate on kbdfans.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Write-up Live
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:03:42 »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to bump the thread to let you know the technical write-up is live :thumb:

If you see any issues PLEASE call me out for them! That's how I get better and how we progress as a community!

Much love

- Nathan

Offline Twigler

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 10:21:21 »
Love this! Great work Nathan will definitely be considering this board.

Offline ibabo

• yeaaaaaaahh
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:14:39 »
It's kinda funny that people are complaining about the 1.5u shift. If you have ever owned a 40% you would understand it is not a big deal. And changing the stagger is a big no-no.
ahaaaa, keyboard. HOVA

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:41:29 »
1. Can you define the order in which the plate is "solved" by the generative algorithm? For example, optimize alphanumeric to design spec then modifiers then arrow keys. Wont fix your problem but might move it to someplace no one really cares about.

2. Is the plate uniform thickness? Can the generative algorithm take your 2d planar constraint around each switch and optimize its depth to add (or remove) stiffness? If you do the metal sintering process for the plate I would imagine it would still be manufacturable.

I'll think on it a bit more but figured I'd get a conversation started earlier than later.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:48:27 »
1. Can you define the order in which the plate is "solved" by the generative algorithm? For example, optimize alphanumeric to design spec then modifiers then arrow keys. Wont fix your problem but might move it to someplace no one really cares about.

That's the correct order, alphas -> space -> mods -> numrow -> f-row -> column -> arrows.

Whether this order truly affects generation, I don't know.

2. Is the plate uniform thickness? Can the generative algorithm take your 2d planar constraint around each switch and optimize its depth to add (or remove) stiffness? If you do the metal sintering process for the plate I would imagine it would still be manufacturable.

I'll think on it a bit more but figured I'd get a conversation started earlier than later.

The plate is uniform thickness, correct. I heavily considered printing the entire case but was concerned about cost and finishing quality. Furthermore, thickness variation doesn't actually buy me all that much. +5-10% uniformity or so

Offline cptbubbles

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:51:24 »
It's kinda funny that people are complaining about the 1.5u shift. If you have ever owned a 40% you would understand it is not a big deal. And changing the stagger is a big no-no.

It's a genuine concern for many who are into 75% boards but not own 40% boards/caps, though I agree that layout changes sacrificing 'correct' alpha stagger isn't the way to go about it.

Perhaps a 1.5u Rama artisan to go along with this keyboard could make everyone happy.

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:03:19 »
Un-****ing-real!  :eek: This is the coolest design I have ever seen--if anything can truly be called "end-game" it would be this board.  I love that it's an algorithmic approach too.  :thumb:  If I wasn't trying to save money right now, I'd be all in on this--as it stands I'll probably just have to watch from the sidelines.  However, if it were 65%, I might not be able to stop myself...

Offline JerkChicken456

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:24:50 »
sweet design! a more refined s75. didn't care for the OLED too much. I really like this.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:31:51 »
Does 1.5u Shift even exist? Checked all my recent sets and found nothing.

I'm wondering the same thing, idk if there is even a 1.5u shift in 40s kits. afaik I've never seen one.

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 14:06:45 »
love the design!

Offline TheDrewscriver

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 14:52:08 »
At some point, this is gonna go live, and I am gonna buy this. That is all I know....excellent work!!

Offline ibabo

• yeaaaaaaahh
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 15:42:02 »

It's a genuine concern for many who are into 75% boards but not own 40% boards/caps, though I agree that layout changes sacrificing 'correct' alpha stagger isn't the way to go about it.

Perhaps a 1.5u Rama artisan to go along with this keyboard could make everyone happy.

that Rama artisan idea is a really good idea
ahaaaa, keyboard. HOVA

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 15:58:50 »
Didn’t even see that it has a 1.5u shift, kinda weird thing in the keycap department. Easy to fill with alt/control or whatever but still weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ossetepo

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 16:43:26 »
Love to see projects like this pushing the boundaries and busting up conventional design.  I had thought I was done buying boards for a while, but this is innovative enough that I'm going to try really hard to get one.