Author Topic: [IC] Evolv | A four year journey complete  (Read 394177 times)

Offline botchm

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:04:23 »
Can we get a render of [IC] GMK Nautilus 2
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2190&share_tid=104475&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgeekhack%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D104475&share_type=t&link_source=app ? Ooo that would look so nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline travwal

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:15:29 »
How does the arrow, f-row, and nav column displacement compare with the alphas?

Have you run the process on a smaller layout to lower the load conditions to help minimize the complexity of the plate?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:30:33 »
How does the arrow, f-row, and nav column displacement compare with the alphas?

Arrows, f-row, and nav column are inherently consistent do to the fact that they are so small. Yes, they displace less compared to the alpha cluster, but since that doesn't make or break the typing experience, I think that's okay.

Have you run the process on a smaller layout to lower the load conditions to help minimize the complexity of the plate?

Yes, you'll see those results mid to late March with some comparison videos of normal vs generated plates in a few different boards

Offline ossetepo

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:31:30 »
For the keys with displacement significantly different from the average ((Q, A, Z, }], "', ?/ )) - is the displacement much more, or much less than average?  I'm assuming the former, but I've been surprised before.  I wonder if allowing the generative algo to adjust the thickness of the segments of "plate" around the edge of the alpha cluster would have an impact.  You could almost certainly constrain the variable to not interfere with the switch, and keep it within the clearance between plate and pcb, and any CNC that can cut the existing shape shouldn't have trouble with a thickness gradient on the "plate".

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 19:15:55 »
For the keys with displacement significantly different from the average ((Q, A, Z, }], "', ?/ )) - is the displacement much more, or much less than average?  I'm assuming the former, but I've been surprised before.  I wonder if allowing the generative algo to adjust the thickness of the segments of "plate" around the edge of the alpha cluster would have an impact.  You could almost certainly constrain the variable to not interfere with the switch, and keep it within the clearance between plate and pcb, and any CNC that can cut the existing shape shouldn't have trouble with a thickness gradient on the "plate".

It's much more. I've been talking about this with a few people and I think it's a flaw in generative setup. Since the goal is weight minimization, the algorithm prefers to not bridge the gap to the mods, creating a slighly more stressed ((Q, A, Z, }], "', ?/ )). I have a few fixes in mind for this prior to messing with varying thickness.

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 19:19:58 »
Such an interesting design, looking forward to see the evolution as it makes it's way to GB/Raffle!

Offline ossetepo

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 20:04:16 »

It's much more. I've been talking about this with a few people and I think it's a flaw in generative setup. Since the goal is weight minimization, the algorithm prefers to not bridge the gap to the mods, creating a slighly more stressed ((Q, A, Z, }], "', ?/ )). I have a few fixes in mind for this prior to messing with varying thickness.

Awesome.  I'm very interested to hear how the optimization works out, I hope you can keep us updated on your progress.

Offline Altirix

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 22:47:04 »
wow. that looks amazing. gutted tho, im an ISO user as im from the UK, maybe im wrong but i doubt there's any easy way to support ISO, without risk of compromising the entire plate strength, especially as its an integrated plate. but god this is really pushing the boat out. the design is one thing and a completely different approach of the plate should be very interesting, hope it goes smoothly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 23:19:58 by Altirix »

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 23:19:55 »

I'm not familiar how this works. I thought your primary goal was uniform displacement in all 150+ load cases with weight optimization as a secondary pass to force a simple design.

It seems like you are saying weight savings are prioritized higher than uniform deflection?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:52:26 »

I'm not familiar how this works. I thought your primary goal was uniform displacement in all 150+ load cases with weight optimization as a secondary pass to force a simple design.

It seems like you are saying weight savings are prioritized higher than uniform deflection?

Yeah, so this is still something I'm working on. There's no generative design approach to optimization of plane elasticity, I tried for a long time to read the literature and to implement something myself. For now, the next best solution was to minimize weight with a compliance constraint on each key. I'm still working on trying to do it "the right way," as I recently got in touch with a Professor who has some cool ideas on how to approach the problem.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 08:55:09 »
Loving the Voronoi-is base on this board. Can we get some more detailed shot of that piece? Maybe like an exploded axon of the whole thing?
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 11:25:30 »
Loving the Voronoi-is base on this board. Can we get some more detailed shot of that piece? Maybe like an exploded axon of the whole thing?

I might be able to get something done over the weekend.

Offline mononokay

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 12:49:27 »
Definitely liking this one, we'll see how much it costs though

Offline PandamanPete

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 13:38:09 »
This is so cool. A little bummed that there’s only the one colorway, but I totally get it. Any chance of a r2 in a different color in the future? I’d kill for one of these in black

Offline blond

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 14:11:51 »
Sign me up!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 15:01:10 »
This is so cool. A little bummed that there’s only the one colorway, but I totally get it. Any chance of a r2 in a different color in the future? I’d kill for one of these in black

MetallicCharles showed me some renders of an all black Evolv earlier today. It was so amazing I'm considering adding it as a color option, would just be a shame if it never saw the light of day.

Offline flymy

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 20:13:33 »
Looks great! Definitely looking forward to the future updates and GB!

Offline PandamanPete

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 23:49:09 »

MetallicCharles showed me some renders of an all black Evolv earlier today. It was so amazing I'm considering adding it as a color option, would just be a shame if it never saw the light of day.

Oh that’s great news, I’m 100% in if you end up going that route!! Best of luck with the IC, I’ll be watching closely.

Offline alanskiii

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 02:45:16 »

Black Evolv

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:14:28 »
This is dope. Will it be a limited gb?

Offline abbabon

• I’ve got 99 Zilents and a THOCK ain’t one
    • I make “video games” with all these keyboards
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:55:28 »
Definitely following, probably not have enough cash for that. But I am on the lookout for that endgame 75%... Will it be Satisfaction75 Round 2, or will I... Evolve?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 14:04:28 »
This is dope. Will it be a limited gb?

Yup, will post the number as soon as I finalize it. I would like to QC and pack each Evolv by hand and that would be a nightmare for an unlimited GB

Definitely following, probably not have enough cash for that. But I am on the lookout for that endgame 75%... Will it be Satisfaction75 Round 2, or will I... Evolve?

:eek:

Offline MacGyver214

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 15:08:11 »
I broke my silence of not having a geekhack account for a whole year to comment on my excitement for this board. Excited to see it come about in some form!

Offline GMK83

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 16:07:51 »
This is one of the more interesting boards to come along.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 16:32:37 »
It's interesting, for sure. And I'd like to feel the typing experience with that plate.  But I can't get over how bad the plate looks from above.  Being able to see all the random spaces and gaps down below is enough to turn me off of the design.

Offline PandamanPete

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 22:23:21 »
It's interesting, for sure. And I'd like to feel the typing experience with that plate.  But I can't get over how bad the plate looks from above.  Being able to see all the random spaces and gaps down below is enough to turn me off of the design.

That just means we’re gonna need a really pretty PCB  ;)

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 00:19:26 »

That just means we’re gonna need a really pretty PCB  ;)

What if it was a transparent PCB so you could see the cool wiring and kinda see the base below. OHHHH DANGGGG

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 13:20:13 »
Quick update for everyone. MetallicCharles just produced some beautiful Future Funk renders that are now in the gallery. All other requested renders should be live tomorrow. I also have a minor plate revision, which should be going live tomorrow.

Thank you for the fantastic support from everyone so far!

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 15:25:48 »
great to see innovative designs! u got my vote

Offline melikewater

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 17:00:52 »
Will there be a limited amount for the keyboard? I hope not; I miss GB within minutes  :(

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:21:03 »
Will there be a limited amount for the keyboard? I hope not; I miss GB within minutes  :(

There will be a limited amount, yes. However, I'm not a big fan of FCFS, so the GB will likely be a raffle.

Offline Raptor_N60

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 10:52:28 »
Not sure if this has been answered before, but since the design's goal is to achieve flex uniformity, did the design process take the pcb flex in mind? I would think the pcb would flex more in the center rather on the sides, no?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 11:18:02 »
Not sure if this has been answered before, but since the design's goal is to achieve flex uniformity, did the design process take the pcb flex in mind? I would think the pcb would flex more in the center rather on the sides, no?

Yup, PCB flex was a huge consideration in the design process.

Offline ElijahJMitchell

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 12:28:29 »
Saw this on top clack and fell in love #HYPE!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 12:49:31 »
Render Gallery updated with GMK Deep Navy, GMK Copper, and GMK Forge, with more sets following shortly. Render requests are still open if you'd like to see your set on Evolv!

Offline Spivicles

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:15:11 »
Count me as interested, too! Will there be a google form to fill out at some point?

Also, can’t wait to see the Deep Navy render!

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:29:34 »
I want one!

Offline Yuray

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:55:37 »
An absolute beautiful looker.

I personally like Janglad's render concept the most. The white board in combination with the metallic gold bottom peace looks stunning. (I in general think that the metallic look will fit the board the most, but thats just personal preference.)

Definitely interested. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:57:09 by Yuray »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 14:25:11 »
An absolute beautiful looker.

I personally like Janglad's render concept the most. The white board in combination with the metallic gold bottom peace looks stunning. (I in general think that the metallic look will fit the board the most, but thats just personal preference.)

Definitely interested. Keep it up!

I agree with you, Janglad's version of the bottom piece is quite stunning. However, from speaking to manus, I don't think such a finish will be possible. MetallicCharles' version represents what the board will most likely look like during GB.

Offline Yuray

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 14:52:51 »

I agree with you, Janglad's version of the bottom piece is quite stunning. However, from speaking to manus, I don't think such a finish will be possible. MetallicCharles' version represents what the board will most likely look like during GB.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Do you have plans on maybe doing different bottom finishes? Like copper for example (which would go really well with lighter boards i think). Or is that not a possibility for now?

Best regards

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 14:55:09 »

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Do you have plans on maybe doing different bottom finishes? Like copper for example (which would go really well with lighter boards i think). Or is that not a possibility for now?

Best regards

I am considering running an all-black Evolv. Beyond that, I'm not considering other materials or finishes

Offline botchm

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 15:06:10 »
Join discord to look at this beauty.

Offline Yuray

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 15:46:49 »

I am considering running an all-black Evolv. Beyond that, I'm not considering other materials or finishes

Show Image

Wooow, that is indeed gorgeous looking! Thanks so much guys for the infos, i will definitely keep a look at this project. It deserves it.

Offline asdds22

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 15:53:53 »
I have a question about simulated load (2N).
In a real situation, I think the load won't be only in the orthogonal axis.
I think there will be Shear stress.
How about shear stress?
when there is shear stress, all the flex will be uniformed?
curious about that

Offline JvMil

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 16:47:32 »

Show Image

Woooww, that looks amazing. You would be lucky to get your hands on something that sick looking, it oozes some dark alien vibes.. If there is a black variant, I will definitely sign up for the raffle
Any ideas on the price yet?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 18:46:26 »
I have a question about simulated load (2N).
In a real situation, I think the load won't be only in the orthogonal axis.
I think there will be Shear stress.
How about shear stress?
when there is shear stress, all the flex will be uniformed?
curious about that

This was something I tested during the prototyping process for the generative algorithm. "Shear" loads, as you define them, are negligible compared to the downwards keystroke. For the plate, the algorithm does not take them into account.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 18:47:21 »
Wanted to let everyone know that GMK Botanical renders have been added to the gallery. GMK Apollo and GMK Noel will follow tomorrow morning.

Offline fropsie

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 02:15:11 »
New renders are really looking amazing! Can't wait to see protos ;)

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 02:50:49 »
Hey Everyone,

A color poll is now live to help me choose the final colorway for the Evolv. All four options are displayed both in the form and in the below:

https://forms.gle/LsNMxyGZSu8bW1nW8

Black + Raw

White + Raw

Black + Gold

White + Gold

Here's the link to the poll one more time: https://forms.gle/LsNMxyGZSu8bW1nW8

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Color Poll!
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 13:19:52 »
Apollo and Noel renders now in the gallery!