Author Topic: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!  (Read 35681 times)

Offline o2dazone

Re: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:17:06 »
I have a serious question about Topre switches, that maybe someone here can answer. I know the mechanism for actuation is capacitive, but what causes the capacitance? The metal spring coming in close proximity to the pad?

Without the spring, the switch would not work

edit: this forum is far too pedantic - when i say "work" i mean the capacitive "jump" would never happen, and the key would never "fire". It will still move up and down like it should though
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:18:54 by o2dazone »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:41:11 »
AFAIK it's due to the fact that a conical spring in the shape as those used by Topres increases in capacitance as it gets depressed and the spring coils move closer to each other.

The circuit detects when the capacitance reaches a certain threshold and then closes.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:51:10 »
Wow... just caught up. People in here are getting way too uppity. Some like Topre (like me), some don't. Whatever.

For me, I love the combination of high quality rubber dome over a steel plate/PCB, which most keyboards that we label "rubber dome" don't have. Those are usually rubber dome over plastic membranes. Much more of a mushy feel. Some prefer that, most don't.

And there are some RD over membrane boards that feel crisp and buttery smooth. Probably my favorite was this bad boy right here:

That had a firm bottom-out feel due to the caps hitting the plastic base. Great board there, lasted me many years before I found mechanicals.

People are so touchy... it's obvious that iri isn't that big a fan of the bottom out feel of Topres, and that's fine. He doesn't have to. Nobody has to. I enjoy my Topre switch boards, and I don't have to tell myself that I do in order to "justify" it. I spent a lot on them, and I don't regret the purchase. There are those who might. And that's ok too. At the end of the day, we're all just fans of fine typing devices here, right?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:32:40 »
Topre = Rubber Cup, not a rubber dome :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:58:45 »
This thread is crazy guise.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 20:48:34 »
How was I being uppity? I was just saying, I ****ing love my Topre.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:10:09 »
I ****ing love my Topre.

You should make that your permanent sig in big fat bold letters for the angry anti-topre crowd....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:23:33 »
Topre = Rubber Cup, not a rubber dome :)

Dome, sorry they're identical with the exception of actuation distance...

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:33:27 »
Wow... just caught up. People in here are getting way too uppity. Some like Topre (like me), some don't. Whatever.

For me, I love the combination of high quality rubber dome over a steel plate/PCB, which most keyboards that we label "rubber dome" don't have. Those are usually rubber dome over plastic membranes. Much more of a mushy feel. Some prefer that, most don't.

And there are some RD over membrane boards that feel crisp and buttery smooth. Probably my favorite was this bad boy right here:

Show Image

That had a firm bottom-out feel due to the caps hitting the plastic base. Great board there, lasted me many years before I found mechanicals.

People are so touchy... it's obvious that iri isn't that big a fan of the bottom out feel of Topres, and that's fine. He doesn't have to. Nobody has to. I enjoy my Topre switch boards, and I don't have to tell myself that I do in order to "justify" it. I spent a lot on them, and I don't regret the purchase. There are those who might. And that's ok too. At the end of the day, we're all just fans of fine typing devices here, right?

My coworker has like 20 of these things stock piled. They're his favorites.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:25:54 »
How was I being uppity? I was just saying, I ****ing love my Topre.

By immediately assuming I was referring to you ;) (which I wasn't, actually).

Topres are rubber domes. They're just exceptionally good ones (IMO). 

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:31:35 »
Dome, sorry they're identical with the exception of actuation distance...

But they aren't identical. That exception is the major difference, not to mention the quality and thickness/durability of the rubber.

Topre: Cup

Rubber DOME:
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:33:33 by Bro Caps »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:35:52 »
You're having a disagreement with tp and trying to use words and pictures to show him that he's wrong.  You'd have better luck convincing the bro bot in your avatar that it was a new girldc Gundam cap...

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:41:23 »
Enough, guys.  Can't we all just get along and discuss the Klaxon set in peace?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:42:29 »
I'm much too angry for that.

Grr and stuff.

Buy moar klaxon?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 22:43:08 »
You're having a disagreement with tp and trying to use words and pictures to show him that he's wrong.  You'd have better luck convincing the bro bot in your avatar that it was a new girldc Gundam cap...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 23:03:22 »

Offline iri

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 01:33:34 »
For me, I love the combination of high quality rubber dome over a steel plate/PCB
hmm, don't you like hhkb more than realforce?

Also, a related question, is it possible, while typing normally, to actuate the switch without bottoming out?
i asked the same question here once, and got a reply "no, that's not possible, but that's okay, as bottoming out on topre is nice".
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 February 2013, 01:35:24 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 14:49:11 »
hmm, don't you like hhkb more than realforce?

Yes, actually. I was more making a generic comparison between standard rubber domes and the RealForce breed of Topre. I still love RF's more than everything except the HHKB. Apologies.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:38:42 »
i can't wait to the moment when people start using the word MEMBRANE to distinguish conventional rubber dome keyboards from capacitive rubber dome topre.

uh actually iMav came up with the initialism RDOMS probably years before you were aware of topre... rubber dome over membrane switch.

the rest of you are cracking me up with how defensive you get about rubber... yes, topre is rubber dome. it feels nice. use it if you like it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 17:15:52 »
This is degenerating into the newbie thread like:

"Just Tell Me What is the Best Keyboard So I Can Buy It"

My wife loves Apple's flat scissor keys with minimal travel, so "there is just no accounting for taste" right?

Give me a heavily-modded Model F, but that's just me.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 17:35:47 »
yes, topre is rubber CUP. it feels nice. use it if you like it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FTFY

-Oneness with cup rubber

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 17:36:34 »
yes, topre is CUP rubber. it feels nice. use it if you like it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FTFY

-Oneness with cup rubber
ftfyftfm (fixed that for you fixing that for me).

oneness!!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iri

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 02:46:41 »
enough of this
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury