Author Topic: Elite Keyboards "EK MechLube" stabilizer grease  (Read 12912 times)

Offline zoolzoo

Elite Keyboards "EK MechLube" stabilizer grease
« on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 07:37:59 »
Many of us with Costar stabilizers have turned to grease as remedy for jittery space bars and squeaking keys. In my experience, the application of stabilizer grease also deadens the sound of stabilized keys while providing the user with a more "solid" feedback when bottoming out.

This review discusses the first product I have seen marketed specifically as a keyboard stabilizer lubricant; Elite Keyboards "EK MechLube" stabilizer grease.

Some of you may have used white lithium grease on your keyboard before. If you take white lithium and rub it between your fingers it starts to thin out a bit. In contrast, the EK Mechlube silicone based lube does not. This stuff is highly viscous, and I learned the hard way that this product should not be over applied. Honestly the texture is almost sticky. Over-applying EK Mechlube will result in your stabilized keys becoming dead, sluggish, and lacking response. I am speaking from experience, as I had to remove my stabilized keys and remove some of the silicone grease. I achieved the best results by putting a bead in the middle of the plastic key insert, and spreading the grease around evenly with a tooth pick. This method allowed me to fully coat the stabilizer contact point while avoiding any globbing. Globbing this stuff on is bad, and will result in sticky keys. For good measure, I also put a tiny of grease down where the stabilizers lock into the keyboard. Again, only a small amount of the product is necessary here.

Once correctly applied, this is a great stabilizer grease. Key presses are solid, and a satisfying "thud" of a sound is now present. And best of all, no space bar rattle. I also appreciate the fact that EK Mechlube is completely plastic safe unlike some petroleum based white lithium products. The applicator is conveniently curved for ease of use, which is a plus.

The Elite Keyboards website states: "Only half a grain of rice worth of grease is needed (if that), so the 1cc of MechLube provided should be plenty for a whole collection of keyboards!"

Given the nature of EK Mechlube, this statement is completely true. You will use much less of this per application in comparison to white lithium. $6 per tube appears to be a really great value. I would encourage you guys to give this stuff a shot.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 07:40:58 by zoolzoo »
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Elite Keyboards "EK MechLube" stabilizer grease
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:04:28 »
Thanks for the review. I've been reading a lot about different lubes but it's nice to see a dedicated post on it. Have you tried other lubes besides the white lithium and the EK lube?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:30:35 »
Thanks for the review. I've been reading a lot about different lubes but it's nice to see a dedicated post on it. Have you tried other lubes besides the white lithium and the EK lube?

You're welcome. Nope, I have only tried those two so far.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Warduke

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 14:30:12 »
This is the stuff I bought when my Rosewill had a couple of squeaky keys (backspace and space bar if I remember right) and I have had no problems at all since then. Highly recommended.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 08:56:14 »
I agree that this stuff is great.

That bit about "half a grain of rice" is insane - 1/10 of a grain of rice (uncooked) is usually ample.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:01:34 »
What kinda rice we talkin? xD

Nice review. Makes me want some to replace the generic graphite grease I used.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:04:07 »
I use Superlube because it's was cheaper and does the same job. WASDkeyboard also uses it for his keyboards

http://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361476976&sr=8-1&keywords=superlube
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:59:11 »
EK's Mech Lube worked for me as well. I had a really squeaky backspace key when I switched the standard keycaps on my Leopold to Thick, cherry profile PBTs. After applying, the squeakiness went away after one day.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 21:01:03 »
The syringe applicator is particularly helpful and accurate.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Neal

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 15:06:15 »
Thanks for the review, I wasn't sure if I should pick some up. I just might.

Offline drdoooom

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 10:57:24 »
jesus, we'll buy anything....

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 16:55:51 »
Ever owned costar stabilizers?

Finally got some and this stuff and it is a dream come true for loose costar stabs. As said it can actually slow down your keys which is great in terms of thickness and I found goes away as you use them. Maybe I just didn't put enough the first time since I went back and added even more... so I put around 2 grains of rice worth on each stab insert. Enough to completely coat and slightly fill the middle of the insert.

Maybe even more than 2 grains on the heavily used keys like left shift and space. Just squeezed and used the tip to spread it around.

Really gets rid of the clickity clackity and cheap loose feeling stabilizers.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:10:55 »
sorry to bump this up, but I'm wanting to purchase EliteKeyboard's lube. There are now 2 versions and I'm not sure which one to buy. I have the CMStorm Quickfire rapid tk so metal stabilizers with plastic caps if i'm not mistaken.

Mechlube 1 seems to be best for this but i'm not entirely sure from their explanation. Is the 2nd version a more advanced formula? Also, 2nd version is low-viscosity..

thx for help.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:20:31 by derb2k2 »
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:45:11 »
sorry to bump this up, but I'm wanting to purchase EliteKeyboard's lube. There are now 2 versions and I'm not sure which one to buy. I have the CMStorm Quickfire rapid tk so metal stabilizers with plastic caps if i'm not mistaken.

Mechlube 1 seems to be best for this but i'm not entirely sure from their explanation. Is the 2nd version a more advanced formula? Also, 2nd version is low-viscosity..

thx for help.

What switches do you use?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:47:00 »
Sorry. Brown switch.  ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 19:22:03 »
Sorry. Brown switch.  ;D

Whichever isn't the low viscosity lube then.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 19:40:25 »
What are the essential differences between EK MechLube and EK MechLube2?

I used MechLube2 on a WASD V2 87 barebones mx brown keyboard to lube the Costar-type stabilizers, and the board had no stabilizer rattle and even, crisp key action on the stabilized keys. I can highly recommend both the WASD keyboard and the EK MechLube2.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 20:01:19 »
As far as I understand it, MechLube2 is suitable for use inside the switches and the original MechLube is to be used on stabilizers. I remember reading at one point someone used some of the original MechLube inside a bunch of his switches and more or less ruined them due to the viscosity.

For what it's worth, I use the GeekHackers thick Krytox lube on all my stabs and it works phenomenally well. I just take a super fine tipped paint brush and smear some on the white key insert and on the black plastic plate inserts where the wire clips in. Using this method my Costar stabs never rattle and feel so smooth it's like there's not even a stabilizer connected. It definitely helps Cherry stabs as well but they feel so awful to begin with it's hard to quantify the level of improvement.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 20:15:23 »
thx for this info guys. Strict, i will research this Geekhackers Kryptox.

Thanks all.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 14:34:08 »
I have both from EK. I use MechLube 2 for the switch guides inside my HHKB. Works great provided you don't over apply. But even if you do, the key switches loosen up with use. Great product.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 14:49:24 »
More recently, I acquired two Matias-switch keyboards from KBP, the V60MTS-C and V60MTS-Q. These have Alps wire stabilizers, and I used EK MechLube 2 on them. The stabilized keys have a crisp and even response with no rattle whatsoever.

Offline MPZ

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:12:40 »
Much appreciated Everyone. I will consider this when my ES108 Pro arrives (will be my first costar board) if I have any issues.

Offline snipars

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 09:44:29 »
Will this make Cherry stabs feel less awful? is there any way to do that?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Sniping

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 10:46:13 »

imo clipping the stabs makes the most difference. It takes away most of the mushy feeling.

Offline snipars

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 13:28:49 »

imo clipping the stabs makes the most difference. It takes away most of the mushy feeling.

i guess i'll do that then, but won't it be difficult to access the stabilisers on a poker 2?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Sniping

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 14:22:52 »

i guess i'll do that then, but won't it be difficult to access the stabilisers on a poker 2?

Yeah, it's a somewhat annoying task. I would just leave it as it is and enjoy the vintage black smoothness :)

Offline snipars

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 14:39:18 »

Yeah, it's a somewhat annoying task. I would just leave it as it is and enjoy the vintage black smoothness :)

might do, i just can't stand the feeling of the modifiers