Author Topic: [GB] Koala Switches -CLOSED - Extras available  (Read 18378 times)

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
[GB] Koala Switches -CLOSED - Extras available
« on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 03:57:00 »
Hello All,

LINK TO GB https://preorder.opticboards.co.uk/product/koala-switch

As some of you may be aware there has been a recent IC for Koala switches. Due to personal circumstances with Fropsie the initial IC runner this IC never made it to a Group Buy as of yet.

Fropsie has been kind enough to give me permission to continue on from his IC and run this Group Buy.

Original IC link https://redd.it/cu59t1

Discord Server https://discord.gg/pZ6NA7W

>The koala switch, designed by creator biip, is a tactile switch using a POM stem and 62g gold spring inside a Nylon housing, with a color scheme matching that of Extended 2048.

The Group Buy will take place on my website. Each switch will cost ~$0.50 USD or £0.41GBP.

I will be honouring Fropsies original intentions to donate the proceeds to the Australian Koala Foundationhttps://www.savethekoala.com. $0.05 USD per switch sold will be donated to the foundation.

I will be having a soft minimum limit of 70 switches. I reserve the right to cancel orders below this minimum. However if you purchase over 200 switches you can use the coupon code “SaveTheKoala” at checkout for free shipping!

LINK TO GB https://preorder.opticboards.co.uk/product/koala-switch

Thanks,

George
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 December 2019, 12:35:14 by VicareyG »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] Koala Switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 09:37:29 »
Approved :thumb:

Apologies for missing this one until now, the GB is still open if you follow the link.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:53:31 »
Are the tops nylon or polycarbonate? Obviously plastic is more complicated than "X or Y", but in terms of sound signature are they going to be more like Zealio/Ink/T1 or more like MX?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:57:37 »
Are the tops nylon or polycarbonate? Obviously plastic is more complicated than "X or Y", but in terms of sound signature are they going to be more like Zealio/Ink/T1 or more like MX?

>The koala switch, designed by creator biip, is a tactile switch using a POM stem and 62g gold spring inside a Nylon housing, with a color scheme matching that of Extended 2048.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline alanskiii

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:02:31 »
How long is this open till?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eas

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:53:09 »
How long is this open till?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:40:23 »

Okay, except Fropsie (the originator of the Koala IC) in Discord said multiple times that they are dyed polycarbonate. So either Fropsie is wrong or George is wrong.

Moreover, after asking this question in the Koala Discord server Fropsie specifically answered me again to say they are dyed polycarbonate.

Edit: I already placed my order regardless. Just want to be sure people have the right information.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:43:36 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:53:55 »
When I've seen Koala switch on AliExpress, the bottom has been listed as nylon but the top has been listed as polycarbonate.
The material used for the top should not matter for key feel because the slider's rails are in the bottom.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:58:58 by Findecanor »

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 13:27:27 »

Okay, except Fropsie (the originator of the Koala IC) in Discord said multiple times that they are dyed polycarbonate. So either Fropsie is wrong or George is wrong.

The original quote stating Nylon housing is me quoting fropsie on his original IC.

Alibaba product description specifies: 1. Polycarbonate & Nylon PA housing.

Not entirely clear, I have emailed the manufacturer to clarify.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 13:28:33 »
Approved :thumb:

Apologies for missing this one until now, the GB is still open if you follow the link.
Thanks for getting this approved!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 13:31:45 »

The original quote stating Nylon housing is me quoting fropsie on his original IC.

FYI, it also does say Nylon housing in the description in the pre-order link as well. Just to make sure that all sources agree with each other once you receive an answer.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 14:06:57 »

FYI, it also does say Nylon housing in the description in the pre-order link as well. Just to make sure that all sources agree with each other once you receive an answer.

I will update all when I have a definitive answer. :)

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 16:24:00 »
Guarantee if these actually have a PC top that they'll still call them Koalas when they shouldn't. At that point, it's just a recolored T1 with a lighter spring.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 23:28:54 »
Guarantee if these actually have a PC top that they'll still call them Koalas when they shouldn't. At that point, it's just a recolored T1 with a lighter spring.

I get the sense that Koalas would have never had a nylon top. Might have been a misunderstanding all along.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:42:49 »
Update

Response from my contact at Durock!

The Koala switch uses the same materials as T1 and our other linear switches.
Top housing: PC
Bottom housing: Nylon PA
Stem: POM

I hope that clears everything up.  :D

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 12:38:50 »
I am happy to announce that you can now buy stickers to accompany the GB. If you just want the stickers you can do that as well! 3 inch x 3 inch die cut stickers with art by the talented @wintheart. Stickers are free to ship on their own. If you have already placed a GB order stickers will be shipped with that order.

https://preorder.opticboards.co.uk/product/koala-sticker

Offline alanskiii

Re: [GB] Koala Switches _ now with stickers!
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 10:44:57 »
Did site go down?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
Re: [GB] Koala Switches _ now with stickers!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 04:53:37 »
Did site go down?

It did, I was migrating my main site and the DNS settings went haywire for the sub domain. All back up and sorted now.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
Re: [GB] Koala Switches - 3 DAYS LEFT
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 05:34:39 »
3 DAYS LEFT OF THE GROUP BUY

If you are wanting to join, do so now! The price will increase after the GB when they are in stock with me!

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: [GB] Koala Switches -CLOSED - Extras available
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 16:28:45 »
I now have these installed on my Ergodox, and I can state that they are fun, bouncy switches.  The tactile bump is VERY noticeable.  My typing is a tad noisier now than it had been before (using Kailh Plums), but it's worth it. 

There's even a little bump on the upstroke too, which felt a tad odd at first. What I've found is that this secondary bump does a good job of tactilely reinforcing the transition between pressed and unpressed.  It reminds me of the feel of a game controller.