Author Topic: [IC] DCS Alps-mount WoB keycaps (taken over, new link in OP)  (Read 64123 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] DCS Alps-mount WoB keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 23:12:24 »
nice

Also big +1 on the MX style mounts. Those clip and wire getups from old boards suck.

Offline Sheva000

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 07:52:50 »
please include a R1 ALPS logo novality
Mx stab is perfect, its time to have a project to renew alps pcb and plate file

Offline equalunique

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 09:08:42 »
I think the 40% kit would benefit from Raise/Lower keys.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Vox_Reticuli

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 09:15:22 »
Count me in on this. 40% would be a godsend but it does need raise/lower keys.

Offline Applet

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 09:36:05 »
I'm 100% in on this, MX-stabilizer mount suits me, I prefer PCB-mount cherry-stabs. A 1u R1 alps novelty keycap would be dope

Offline JerkChicken456

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 02:55:29 »
oooooh yes. in this 1 hunna

Offline wd9001

• Whoms't | 22nd century schizoid man
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 06:29:36 »
Definitely in on this!
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 13:22:56 »
Oh hell yes -- an Alps set I can get behind! Insta-buy for me
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 13:44:19 »
I guess I'm in the minority with wanting the stabilizer stems to be old school ALPS style. Sure they are fiddly to get installed, but once lubed & properly installed I much prefer them over Cherry style. Very little rattle, very little effect on the way the switch operates, & very smooth. Although I do get the convenience of using Cherry style stabilizers especially when most custom boards that support ALPS switches are designed to use Cherry PCB mount. Either way I am still in as there are adapters you can have 3D printed to use ALPS style stabilizers with keycaps that use Chery style stabilizers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 13:45:52 by Rob27shred »

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:31:07 »
Really interested, but I assume that this is like a $200 keycap set?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:36:08 »
I guess I'm in the minority with wanting the stabilizer stems to be old school ALPS style. Sure they are fiddly to get installed, but once lubed & properly installed I much prefer them over Cherry style. Very little rattle, very little effect on the way the switch operates, & very smooth. Although I do get the convenience of using Cherry style stabilizers especially when most custom boards that support ALPS switches are designed to use Cherry PCB mount. Either way I am still in as there are adapters you can have 3D printed to use ALPS style stabilizers with keycaps that use Chery style stabilizers.

You're definitely not in the minority. In fact, I might not buy this set if it _doesn't_ have old school Alps style stabs. Half of the appeal of this set is to use with older Alps boards imho.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 17:39:02 »
Probably in for this. Defo in for 9009. Good stuff man.

Offline kolicivan

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 03:30:43 »
I have a Tai Hao WoB set. It's a pretty good quality for the money.
DCS is not that different profile than OEM, maybe slightly shorter.
And the keycap thickness is comparable to Tai Hao.
But I think Tai Hao no longer has them in stock.

I'm always happy to see new sets coming out for ALPS but if this set is gonna cost the same as ALPS Throwback keycaps I'm gonna pass.

Offline alisonica

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 08:37:50 »
Herobush saves the day again! 100% in for at least 2 sets

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:20:08 »
I have a Tai Hao WoB set. It's a pretty good quality for the money.
DCS is not that different profile than OEM, maybe slightly shorter.
And the keycap thickness is comparable to Tai Hao.
But I think Tai Hao no longer has them in stock.

I'm always happy to see new sets coming out for ALPS but if this set is gonna cost the same as ALPS Throwback keycaps I'm gonna pass.
There's some Alps WoB on mechanicalkeyboards.com but they are a bit pricey. Other colorways exist on YMDK's store.
It's still just to exciting to have this variable of compatibility, with so many ALPS PCBs coming out that are in so many different layouts.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 11:44:43 »
At this point it seems like MX stem is the way to go (probably the only way based on SP's molds). Working on hopefully running a slider adapter GB alongside this though.

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 11:58:51 »
I really happy to see more custom alps sets being worked on nowadays but I feel like they are mostly based on the classic beige and white CW. I would really like to see some legendary MX colorways to become alps sets. That's why im 100% getting on the Yuri GB.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 12:09:28 »
At this point it seems like MX stem is the way to go (probably the only way based on SP's molds). Working on hopefully running a slider adapter GB alongside this though.

Slider adaptors work just as well :thumb: (maybe even better). Herobush does it all, folks!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 12:57:36 »

blindassasin had adapters when he ran nexus sliders, just in case someone wants his input/insight

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 13:41:40 »

blindassasin had adapters when he ran nexus sliders, just in case someone wants his input/insight

That's who I've been talking to  :p

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 14:03:24 »
So the current plan is going to be different to how the nexus stab adapters were done. I originally had them 3D printed using material jetting and got them for ~$7/set, not too long after the GB prices shot up to ~$60/set, which really destroyed my hopes of ever being able to support them again.

Current plan is to see if we can possibly get them injection molded, trying to look into how viable this is before anything else is said, I don't want to get anyones hopes up in case prices aren't able to be brought down.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 15:49:21 »
So the current plan is going to be different to how the nexus stab adapters were done. I originally had them 3D printed using material jetting and got them for ~$7/set, not too long after the GB prices shot up to ~$60/set, which really destroyed my hopes of ever being able to support them again.

Current plan is to see if we can possibly get them injection molded, trying to look into how viable this is before anything else is said, I don't want to get anyones hopes up in case prices aren't able to be brought down.

What!? They wanted $60 just to make a set of those adapter!? Wow, that is insane because the adapters ending up being pretty disappointing IME, super fragile & stems that were too big. It's almost impossible to get them out of a spacebar without breaking them, even if you put some lube on them. I think injection molded ones would be infinitely better even if they end up being a good bit more expensive than the original run of 3D printed ones IMHO. I know I'd be willing to pay more for something I know can be used more than just once. Also any ideal why the cost of the 3D printed sets shot up so high after you had the batch for the Nexus buy made? $7 per set to $60 is a pretty crazy price hike even if materials got significantly more expensive.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 21:44:45 »
What!? They wanted $60 just to make a set of those adapter!? Wow, that is insane because the adapters ending up being pretty disappointing IME, super fragile & stems that were too big. It's almost impossible to get them out of a spacebar without breaking them, even if you put some lube on them. I think injection molded ones would be infinitely better even if they end up being a good bit more expensive than the original run of 3D printed ones IMHO. I know I'd be willing to pay more for something I know can be used more than just once. Also any ideal why the cost of the 3D printed sets shot up so high after you had the batch for the Nexus buy made? $7 per set to $60 is a pretty crazy price hike even if materials got significantly more expensive.

They were not the best because of printing variations I believe, all of the ones I had were fine but it may have been a batch to batch difference even.

As for pricing I have no clue what caused the jump but I had no way to combat that change sadly.

Offline waldorf120

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 00:04:58 »
Already have Tai-Hao alps mount WoB but SP sets have better compatibility.  I'd be in for one.  Also for the stab inserts I absolutely love those things, they work perfectly for me.

Offline manzel

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 04:42:33 »
If the classic DCS legends are used, text-only mods look better in my opinion because of the non-existent spacing between text and icon. With the Cherry font, text+icon is fine (like on Alpine Winter).

Offline Yakbats

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 00:27:52 »
This looks great! Count me in

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 04:06:24 »

They were not the best because of printing variations I believe, all of the ones I had were fine but it may have been a batch to batch difference even.

As for pricing I have no clue what caused the jump but I had no way to combat that change sadly.

Yeah that makes sense, I know 3D printing has come a long way, but unless you're working with the best & most expensive printers results still can vary pretty wildly from batch to batch. Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 September 2019, 04:08:08 by Rob27shred »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 11:51:19 »
lots to consider here lately. I need to draft up a new email to send to SP with the stab insert questions and try to figure out what's best going forward. I'm currently leaning towards MX mounts as they're likely the only option from SP anyway - inserts will be a great help (working on these too lol). My future PCBs designed for Alps will have cherry stab mount holes in them, so compatibility there will help out a good bit. Sadly there's only so much I can control in the grand scheme of Alps lol

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 12:12:00 »
lots to consider here lately. I need to draft up a new email to send to SP with the stab insert questions and try to figure out what's best going forward. I'm currently leaning towards MX mounts as they're likely the only option from SP anyway - inserts will be a great help (working on these too lol). My future PCBs designed for Alps will have cherry stab mount holes in them, so compatibility there will help out a good bit. Sadly there's only so much I can control in the grand scheme of Alps lol
Appreciate all your efforts and definitely will be getting a set!

Offline Atlantic

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 11:37:42 »
hell yeah

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 16:31:49 »
Yes probably.

Offline SenhorHoshino

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 08:05:37 »
Definitely interested. Please don't run on Drop though, harder for us EU folk to join in...

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:52:45 »
I'd be down for this. I need keycaps for an alps alice  :-X

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 15:24:08 »
Interested if a way to solve the alps mount stabilisers is found, looking for AEK/lunar compatibility.

Offline L0NE ST4RR

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 15:57:17 »
Wow, DCS Alps for Cherry Stabs. The only way to build XD60 with ALPS-Plate from KPrepublic. I'm 100% in... if there will be an option for an international kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2019, 16:01:20 by L0NE ST4RR »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 00:02:43 »
I'm hoping to cover a TGR Alice layout with this one... definitely in either way though.
-Dana

Offline FZ

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 11:10:00 »
Definitely in. There haven't been nearly enough of these efforts to match the interest that is out there for them. I appreciate this.

I hope in someone's future efforts an Alps rendition of the Modern Dolch style or a modern version of the old Apple IIc extended keycaps eventually comes to fruition.

Offline liangalv

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:22:46 »
Hiney, were you able to find out if SP had alps mount spacebars?

Offline Ljit0

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 18:35:29 »
I'd definitely be in for a set. There's a real lack of good alps keycaps out there, especially ones that are compatible with modern layouts.

Offline andj00

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 10:52:51 »
PLEASE!!!!!!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 11:11:56 »
PLEASE!!!!!!

hoping to get this going Q1

Offline kakan

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 15:44:20 »
Always nice to see quality stuff from you :)

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 18:44:53 »
PLEASE!!!!!!

Any chance for some ortholinear love?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:59:33 »
PLEASE!!!!!!

Yes! There's a 40's kit that will cover ortho

Offline Chesebro

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 21:52:25 »
I second the AEK bottom row. We need more selection in that layout!

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 23:42:06 »
PLEASE!!!!!!

Yes! There's a 40's kit that will cover ortho

Oh, I see it on the OP, now. For some reason the base pic and the spacebar/40 pic won't load for me. I can only see the pic of the TKL.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 04:22:22 »
PLEASE!!!!!!

Really need this to support my True-HHKB Alps build hasn't completed yet after 3+ years.
Hope I save up enough for Q1 2020 or finally the job-market gives my 10+ years non-commercial academic background some credit...
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline tvpeople

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:54:49 »
Any chance we can go with more lighter color scheme like BoW?

BoW may go better with both dark & light color cases.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 11:27:03 »
Any chance we can go with more lighter color scheme like BoW?

BoW may go better with both dark & light color cases.

ya i wanna do that one too

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 12:37:45 »
No love for classic beige? Not really a fan of how WoB or BoW look in DCS.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards