Author Topic: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys R3 starting soon  (Read 178503 times)

Offline worldspawn

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (Extras!)
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 16:17:40 »
Is there any possible way to alter the case (DIY) so the screws feed from the bottom? Or another way to secure the case?

The screws enter from the top and bottom and secure to standoffs that reside in the inner layers, there's not a good way to move the screws off the top.  If you want something that stands out less, getting matching black, white or nylon screws can be done, and you can countersink them so they sit flush with the top of the case. The top screws are m3, 10mm long.
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline maximize

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (Extras!)
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 17:54:52 »
Is there any possible way to alter the case (DIY) so the screws feed from the bottom? Or another way to secure the case?

The screws enter from the top and bottom and secure to standoffs that reside in the inner layers, there's not a good way to move the screws off the top.  If you want something that stands out less, getting matching black, white or nylon screws can be done, and you can countersink them so they sit flush with the top of the case. The top screws are m3, 10mm long.

Ah, good idea with countersinking! Might have to try that. Thanks!

Offline jollyeskimo

I fixed the issue with shaving a bit of the plate off on top of the stab wire with a xakto knife and lubing the underside of the plate and the stab wire as well. Seems to be working very well since. 4 more stabs to go...and 2 Arisu boards after that.

I did pretty much the same fix by dremelling/milling off half the thickness of the plate above all the stab wires.

The 70 remains one of my fav daily drivers and it didn't even cost a fortune.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2020, 00:28:11 by jollyeskimo »

Offline TimeDoctor

Yes, the original plate didn’t work for me. The newest plate (  https://github.com/worldspawn00/Gothic70/blob/master/Gothic70%20cut%20files/plate.svg  ) works better, but somehow still gets me with sticky stabs, and sometimes not right away. Usually after a few minutes or hours of typing. I am glad someone else has tried different stabs, because I thought it might just be my stabilizers which are all from one batch.

Did you figure what the problem actually is/was? Is the plate squeezing the stabs somehow?

I just finished assembling my Gothic70, but didn't really want to start troubleshooting tonight.

I was thinking maybe it's the PCB given that they're PCB mounted stabs, but like I said I didn't really have a chance to troubleshoot so I'm just speculating. Maybe it allows mounting the stabs slightly skewed or maybe the holes for the stabilizer are slightly too far or close to what they should be.
With the older version you could tell right away that the plate was squeezing the stab wire, or that was my interpretation. I have never been able to figure out what the issue is with the newer version of the plate (rounded cutouts version). I sent the one I have with the old plate to merlin64 to be desoldered and swapped with the new (rounded cut out plate).

Various people have very kindly suggested solutions of adjusting the different layers, WS suggested that it might be the cap rubbing against the case bezel.

I've finally got all the stabilizers working on my r2 plate and r1 PCB gothic 70 after adjusting the layers, loosening the stabilizer screws (maybe this wouldn't be an issue if I had used washers?) and Super Lubing the worst stabilizer, not in that order. Loosening the screw was the last thing I did and that got it the rest of the way. Wild. Very happy with this board now.

Offline dnahthna

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 19:29:44 »
Hi!

I just got my Gothic70 and I just wanted to ask for like a somewhat in-depth tutorial on how to solder on RGB strips onto the back of the PCB. I'm looking throughout the back of the PCB and I can't seem to find the places to solder them in, can anyone advise me on where it is? Also, I hear the default RGB strips for this keyboard is 7, and I'm just wondering how am I able to change that. (Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this)

Also, am I able to flash the board with VIA using this hex file?: https://github.com/worldspawn00/Firmwares/blob/master/gothic70/gothic70-via-pack.zip

Thanks!

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #355 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 22:12:56 »
Hi!

I just got my Gothic70 and I just wanted to ask for like a somewhat in-depth tutorial on how to solder on RGB strips onto the back of the PCB. I'm looking throughout the back of the PCB and I can't seem to find the places to solder them in, can anyone advise me on where it is? Also, I hear the default RGB strips for this keyboard is 7, and I'm just wondering how am I able to change that. (Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this)

Also, am I able to flash the board with VIA using this hex file?: https://github.com/worldspawn00/Firmwares/blob/master/gothic70/gothic70-via-pack.zip

Thanks!

There's a 3pin header on the back, use some wire to connect it to a standard 5V WS2812B type strip like this, use kapton or electrical tape to prevent the cut ends of the strip from coming into contact with the back of the PCB.

The firmware is written for 7 LEDs, but if you want more than that, you will need to set up QMK on your personal PC and compile the firmware yourself, you need to change the config.h file, specify the number of LEDs you're using by modifying the line

Code: [Select]
#define RGBLED_NUM 7
 to whatever number of LEDs you're using and then compile.

Offline Primuds

« Reply #356 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 05:20:58 »
Will there be any plans for a second gb?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #357 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 08:42:30 »

Yeah, I'll be running another round this december with some new options!  More details once prototypes arrive.

Offline infinitecurry

« Reply #358 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 15:26:51 »
Finally getting around to building mine but lost the standoffs and screws. Do these use M3 hex standoffs?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 15:28:33 »
Finally getting around to building mine but lost the standoffs and screws. Do these use M3 hex standoffs?

Yeah, M3x8mm brass hex standoffs (don't get aluminum ones, they are a different exterior size), button head M3x10mm screws in the top, countersunk M3x5mm in the bottom.

Offline klexoslethal

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 20:08:13 »
I recently bought a gothic from someone on mm and I was also wondering if the via file posted above would work?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 22:16:02 »
AFAIK the VIA files work with the board, I didn't write them though, so I can't provide any support on them if they don't work.

I recently bought a gothic from someone on mm and I was also wondering if the via file posted above would work?

Offline dnahthna

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 21:07:49 »
Hi! this is probably a dumb question, but since gothic 70 plates are out of stock, are there any other alternatives that we could use? Such as plates for the tgr alice or the maja.

Thanks!

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 08:00:18 »
Hi! this is probably a dumb question, but since gothic 70 plates are out of stock, are there any other alternatives that we could use? Such as plates for the tgr alice or the maja.

Thanks!

No, other plates won't fit.  I can cut plates to order if you need one, I've also shared the plate file here if you want to get one cut locally: https://github.com/worldspawn00/Gothic70/tree/master/Gothic70%20cut%20files

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 21:19:33 »

Yeah, I'll be running another round this december with some new options!  More details once prototypes arrive.

I can't tell you how excited this makes me! I've been looking for a solid Alice-type with arrows (since I'm of the "Right-side B" clan).

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 00:55:53 »
Running a bit behind schedule, I just got the new prototypes in this week, more details will follow shortly  :thumb:

I can't tell you how excited this makes me! I've been looking for a solid Alice-type with arrows (since I'm of the "Right-side B" clan).

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 20:37:24 »
Just to check because I'm confused - second group buy =/= R2? From the main post it looks like R2 is all sold out on your shop, but then in the most recent post here, you're saying the prototypes just arrived! I really hope that I didn't miss my chance to get one. :D

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 21:29:33 »
Just to check because I'm confused - second group buy =/= R2? From the main post it looks like R2 is all sold out on your shop, but then in the most recent post here, you're saying the prototypes just arrived! I really hope that I didn't miss my chance to get one. :D

Haven't missed it yet, waiting on Lunar New Year celebrations to end to get the rest of the parts in.

Here's the first photos of the machined case, fully gasketed top mount, gaskets between top and plate, and between top and bottom.  Default bottom will be 4.5mm acrylic, planning to offer at least 1 metal bottom option, got prototypes made in aluminum, polished brass, and polished stainless.  Case weighs about 2.5lbs, the stainless bottom weighs almost 3.5 lbs by itself, and the brass bottom weighs nearly 4 lbs.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #368 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 20:48:01 »
Holy cow the brass and SS bottom :cool:

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 00:10:41 »
This is looking really nice. Big thumbs up from me

Offline abitstranger

Haven't missed it yet, waiting on Lunar New Year celebrations to end to get the rest of the parts in.

Here's the first photos of the machined case, fully gasketed top mount, gaskets between top and plate, and between top and bottom.  Default bottom will be 4.5mm acrylic, planning to offer at least 1 metal bottom option, got prototypes made in aluminum, polished brass, and polished stainless.  Case weighs about 2.5lbs, the stainless bottom weighs almost 3.5 lbs by itself, and the brass bottom weighs nearly 4 lbs.

Will the new case fit the pcbs from previous rounds? Interested in getting an aluminum one
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 April 2021, 10:21:46 by abitstranger »

Offline worldspawn

New PCB revision is done!

New features: 

16 integrated RGB underglow LEDs (no more soldering a strip to the PCB)

Clear soldermask!  The pattern is now the visible copper layer of the PCB, under a clear soldermask so you can't accidentally bridge solder on to it.

Waiting on some plates to come in and the next round can begin.  There's going to be some great premium options along with the same basic options I've offered before.  PCB pricing will be slightly more expensive than the previous round due to the extra parts and custom mask color, but shouldn't be a huge difference (almost certainly <$10 more).

New PCB (bottom) compared to the original (on top) For some reason, it's really hard to capture the color of the new PCB design, but this is pretty accurate. The photo above is the same PCB, but it looks more golden in that photo for some reason.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 19:13:19 by worldspawn »

Offline Kurisu666

Winner winner. I might need a spare because my Gothic70 got me to stop looking at other boards because it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
Oh me oh my, these are looking absolutely stunning. I cannot wait for this!

Offline worldspawn

I've got updated pricing from the fab and factory, and a reasonable idea of the timeline for the machining now.  I'll be taking some fresh photos of everything and getting the kit options and pricing together this week.  I'll post the info and the GB dates here soon!

Total boards will be unlimited, but there will be a limit on the brass and stainless options (probably 25 units each) so if you want one of those, make sure to get in early :D

I've had a request for a FULL brass option as well, it'll probably add about $200 to the price over the aluminum upper, if I can get at least 5 people who want that option, I can make it happen  ;)  It will be VERY heavy, lol.

Edit: I was wrong about the brass pricing!
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:49:30 by worldspawn »

Offline worldspawn

Pricing is ready, high quality photos soon!

US Tariffs on Chinese products hit the final pricing pretty hard  :'(

Bottom case options will be similar to what was offered in the previous rounds.  Case includes the plate in matching material, PCB and foam are not included with those.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:52:17 by worldspawn »

Offline SmokrJokr

Are only 7 LEDs supported on the RGB strip header? I can't get more than that number to light. Is that changeable or do I just need to trim the strip down to 7?

the config.h file defines how many LEDs are used, it's 7 as the default, but it can be changed to whatever you like.

I just got mine recently and wanted to install LEDs in it. Can the RGB be changed with the VIA hex flashed and controlled with VIA app` or will only the QMK hex work and have to be controlled with keymappings from QMK?

Offline worldspawn

Are only 7 LEDs supported on the RGB strip header? I can't get more than that number to light. Is that changeable or do I just need to trim the strip down to 7?

the config.h file defines how many LEDs are used, it's 7 as the default, but it can be changed to whatever you like.

I just got mine recently and wanted to install LEDs in it. Can the RGB be changed with the VIA hex flashed and controlled with VIA app` or will only the QMK hex work and have to be controlled with keymappings from QMK?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with how VIA works regarding RGB.

Offline frobrox

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys R3 starting soon
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 23:49:13 »
I just got my Gothic70 put together and three of the columns aren't working. Anything I can do about that or am I most likely SOL?

Offline SmokrJokr

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 19:52:37 »
I just got my Gothic70 put together and three of the columns aren't working. Anything I can do about that or am I most likely SOL?

hope im not too late. could be a short with your soldering, like 2 joints touching each other. did you solder in your switches?

Offline frobrox

« Reply #380 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 20:00:08 »

hope im not too late. could be a short with your soldering, like 2 joints touching each other. did you solder in your switches?

Appreciate you commenting back. It turns out I had the solder touch the solder mask one the PCB. Just need some cleaning up and then everything was in working order. Sounded like the solder mask issue is something that won't be an issue for future revisions of the PCB.

Offline SmokrJokr

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 20:54:05 »

Appreciate you commenting back. It turns out I had the solder touch the solder mask one the PCB. Just need some cleaning up and then everything was in working order. Sounded like the solder mask issue is something that won't be an issue for future revisions of the PCB.
nice! yeah i dont think it will be. glad you got it fixed!