Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if this board is mechanical and/or what kind of switches?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
I found a new in box WYSE board and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of switches it may have or if it is even mechanical. It is a 101 key board that appears to have a PS2 connector. The model number is 5169. Here are some pics

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
Can you pull a cap? Best way to tell
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline BlueNalgene

The part number of the keyboard is 770180.  That is what you should use to look it up.  The -01 signifies it is US layout.  I'm not sure what the 5169 number is.  That might correspond to the batch or unit it was sold with. 

I could not find anything of note on that board.  I can't really find anything other than the ebay post that had those pictures. 

The classic wisdom for WYSE boards is that old = good.  The yellow arrow keys are a good sign that it may be MX.  The lack of a stepped Caps lock and the relative newness of the PS/2 suggests rubber dome.  There are only two known models of WYSE boards that have the PS/2 connector and Cherry switches.  That model number is not among them.

But, for $40, it might be worth the gamble.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Rubberdome. I can see the plastic under the keys
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Tactile

An FCC id of e5xkbm111  comes back to a BTC-built keyboard.  I think it's one of these - note the extra wide ESC key...

http://deskthority.net/wiki/BTC_51X9_series

REΛLFORCE

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Yeah, the back of it in particularly looks exactly like the Packard Bell-branded BTC I'm typing on right now. The BTC domes over PCB are really nice (and have MX mount), but they're obviously not really mechanical.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Altis

They're rubber dome but with Cherry MX plungers, so you could probably do custom keycaps on it. Kind of interesting, anyways.

Seller sent me the photos of under the keycaps:

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Touch_It

Good to know.  Those keycaps are pretty good looking regardless.  A little tid bit of information to add.  In most cases (probably not all)  An escape key that is larger than 1u means rubber dome.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
They're rubber dome but with Cherry MX plungers, so you could probably do custom keycaps on it. Kind of interesting, anyways.

Seller sent me the photos of under the keycaps:

Show Image

Thanks for the pic. Maybe we could get that up on the WYSE page on the deskthority wiki or something.

Good to know.  Those keycaps are pretty good looking regardless.  A little tid bit of information to add.  In most cases (probably not all)  An escape key that is larger than 1u means rubber dome.
Thanks for the info. I didn't even notice the larger than usual esc key.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Thanks for the info. I didn't even notice the larger than usual esc key.
The 1.25 unit Esc key is vaguely indicative of BTC, who were very fond of them. Other manufacturers did it as well, notably Focus, who put it on all their keyboards newer than the FK-2001/2002 - those are examples of 1.25u Esc keyboards that are mechanical.
Check my keyboard video reviews: