Author Topic: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (100% shipped)  (Read 94582 times)

Offline Umio1

Re: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (Prepping to Ship)
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 17:13:36 »
Another Quick Update: The remade parts will be coming in this week; I should be able to ship the last 6 that had quality issues this weekend!

Offline stein3

Re: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (85% shipped)
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 21:53:22 »
I am super excited to get mine. I've already seen one in a very similar color combination. Is there any timeline on the parts being remade?

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 23:19:48 »
How do you flash this puppy anyhow? I've never done one that isn't loaded up in QMK.
I grabbed the .json, mapped the keys and exported the .hex. Is this the part where you load it into the toolbox? Cause I don't have any HID recognized.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:30:28 »
I am super excited to get mine. I've already seen one in a very similar color combination. Is there any timeline on the parts being remade?

all parts have been remade and should be shipping out this weekend but 1 person who had some chips when they received it; for that last order the parts should be getting remade this week.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:32:40 »
How do you flash this puppy anyhow? I've never done one that isn't loaded up in QMK.
I grabbed the .json, mapped the keys and exported the .hex. Is this the part where you load it into the toolbox? Cause I don't have any HID recognized.

yep, you'll want to have QMK toolbox and upload the file "flash".
QMK Toolbox will only recognize the micro-controller once you hit the reset button on the bottom of the PCB.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:38:56 »

QMK Toolbox will only recognize the micro-controller once you hit the reset button on the bottom of the PCB.

Sorry, I'm fairly new to this, what exactly is flashing and how would I do it when I get the board?

Offline stein3

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:47:11 »
It refers to writing the flash memory in the microcontroller on the board. In this case, we build a custom firmware using a codebase called QMK and write that to the keyboard. This is so you can define custom macros or any other behavior or just redefine the key mapping.

Sorry, I'm fairly new to this, what exactly is flashing and how would I do it when I get the board?

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 00:53:56 »
It refers to writing the flash memory in the microcontroller on the board. In this case, we build a custom firmware using a codebase called QMK and write that to the keyboard. This is so you can define custom macros or any other behavior or just redefine the key mapping.

If I don't need any macros and don't want to change anything with this board's layout, does that mean I don't need to flash? Or does the board not have anything programmed onto it yet?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 21:19:18 »

If I don't need any macros and don't want to change anything with this board's layout, does that mean I don't need to flash? Or does the board not have anything programmed onto it yet?

I programmed all the boards so you shouldn't have to worry about anything software wise unless you want to add some more functionality when you press the FN key.
or you want to adjust a lot of the layout.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 23:06:00 »

I programmed all the boards so you shouldn't have to worry about anything software wise unless you want to add some more functionality when you press the FN key.
or you want to adjust a lot of the layout.

Great, thanks!

Offline fooddoof

Re: [GB] Canvas & Mahjong 65% Low/Hi-Profile +LHNP (Prepping to Ship)
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 08:32:47 »
Another Quick Update: The remade parts will be coming in this week; I should be able to ship the last 6 that had quality issues this weekend!

Thanks for keeping us updated Umio!

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 10:25:39 »
What size is the hex key required for the smallest screw? Is it a 1mm hex?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 21:46:17 »

Theyre M2 screws, a quick search says a 1.5mm hex is the recommended size; i just kept trying different sizes until i found the largest one that fit.

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 22:00:22 »

Theyre M2 screws, a quick search says a 1.5mm hex is the recommended size; i just kept trying different sizes until i found the largest one that fit.

I'll see if I can get hold of that hex key. Would have been better if you had designed it with either 1 or 2 screw types and philips head would have been preferred.

Also like mentioned earlier, putting the hotswap sockets in a bag would be better than leaving it in the packaging strip as they can come out of the strip during shipping.

Other than that, no other big issues. Thanks for organising the GB.

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 17:11:01 »
Finally got the board from usps! i don't think the smallest screws (plate to top) are 1.5mm, they're super small and i'm trying to find a keyset for them. The M2 screws for the bottom piece are 1.5mm. I wish these were phillips lmao, hate hex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 01:13:57 »
Finally got the board from usps! i don't think the smallest screws (plate to top) are 1.5mm, they're super small and i'm trying to find a keyset for them. The M2 screws for the bottom piece are 1.5mm. I wish these were phillips lmao, hate hex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yep. The 3 sizes you need are 2.5, 1.5 and 1mm hex keys.

Also noted a design issue. Vertical stabs should have the switch rotated 90 degrees so that it can lock into the plate. The current design means that if your keycap is too tight, it will pull the switch out from the plate.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 21:13:07 »
Quick update: There were more problems with the first batch of remade parts they sent, most specifically the plain metal bottom's; they came in unsmoothed

you can see the difference between the first and second batch:

Also 2 black tops came with paint missing where they hung them for curing.
I should get a response on these moday!

Offline stein3

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 23:00:56 »
Quick update: There were more problems with the first batch of remade parts they sent, most specifically the plain metal bottom's; they came in unsmoothed

you can see the difference between the first and second batch:
Show Image

I should get a response on these moday!
I guess I picked the most troublesome color combo  :D :'(

Offline 9mmninjamonkey

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 12:52:36 »

Got mine in over the weekend! Everything looked great except for a small chip or missing paint. Maybe its where they hung it, too. It's small enough that I can just touch it up with paint, I think. Thanks for the GB! Are you going to have B/C-Stocks of cases/plates/pcbs?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 21:42:08 »

Got mine in over the weekend! Everything looked great except for a small chip or missing paint. Maybe its where they hung it, too. It's small enough that I can just touch it up with paint, I think. Thanks for the GB! Are you going to have B/C-Stocks of cases/plates/pcbs?

Is yours on the mating surface? I tried to make sure there were no visible defects when assembled.
Yeah i'll have a couple extra defective/unfinished bottoms and tops that I can't really do anything with for people to do their own finishing. not sure how I would select people though.

Offline 9mmninjamonkey

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 08:44:33 »
Is yours on the mating surface? I tried to make sure there were no visible defects when assembled.
Yeah i'll have a couple extra defective/unfinished bottoms and tops that I can't really do anything with for people to do their own finishing. not sure how I would select people though.

It’ll prob be covered up and not seen during use. It’s very tiny, gonna grab the closest green car touch-up paint at the store whenever I’m out next time. Should make it invisible.
249821-0
EDIT: pic is rotated 90deg CCW, no idea why it's rotated since it looks different on my phone.

Maybe use a raffle for b/c stock that are full-kits? The piece parts are likely harder as you’re only pool are people who already own it. Personally, I’m interested in (2) plates and (1) top+bottom piece.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2020, 08:48:33 by 9mmninjamonkey »

Offline SekaiJutsu

• GeekHack
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 21:27:17 »
Hey! I'm having trouble in uploading the .json file on kbfirmware, am I missing something?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 00:24:37 »
Hey! I'm having trouble in uploading the .json file on kbfirmware, am I missing something?

it should be as easy as just clicking Upload and selecting the Json; not sure what the issue could be. Is anyone having similar issues?

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 14:07:51 »

It’ll prob be covered up and not seen during use. It’s very tiny, gonna grab the closest green car touch-up paint at the store whenever I’m out next time. Should make it invisible.
(Attachment Link)
EDIT: pic is rotated 90deg CCW, no idea why it's rotated since it looks different on my phone.

Maybe use a raffle for b/c stock that are full-kits? The piece parts are likely harder as you’re only pool are people who already own it. Personally, I’m interested in (2) plates and (1) top+bottom piece.

Just got mine today and my white top has that exact same issue. And it's definitely noticeable when assembled anyway.  :(

Offline PM_ME_THE_SLOTHS

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 15:03:56 »

(Attachment Link)

Just got mine today and my white top has that exact same issue. And it's definitely noticeable when assembled anyway.  :(

I had a small chip, but mine was on the bottom side thankfully. Also some splotching around the screw holes, but again nothing visible when built. Just waiting on a few more things and I can finally build my first custom!

Offline Umio1

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 16:57:51 »

(Attachment Link)

I had a small chip, but mine was on the bottom side thankfully. Also some splotching around the screw holes, but again nothing visible when built. Just waiting on a few more things and I can finally build my first custom!

Yeah, I wasn't worried if there was anything around the inner mating surface/screw holes as that wouldn't be shown and could have been left unpainted.

I'm addressing all the small scratches/dents with the supplier, im not sure how I didn't catch them.
Thanks for the notices!

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 20:24:35 »
If we're sharing images of issues with the powder coating, I have one. I decided to just touch it up with some paint on hand.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 17:37:56 »
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier (I didn't read previous posts), but one critique on the PCB is that the "+" and Enter keys on the numpad have their switch sockets in the regular orientation, which makes it a bit tricky to remove them with your regular switch puller; I just ended up using some tweezers. Typically, this is addressed by turning the sockets by 90 degrees. Not a big issue, but just something to consider if you decide to do a revision 2.

Offline bprisbe

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 06:59:55 »
I need a new PCB. 23-26 are not working.

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 23:01:43 »

Check the diodes right under the socket holes. Mine had one missing. Had to jerryrig a throughhole diode to actually test the PCB and it works. I don't know what vendor assembled these PCBs but yikes.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 18:07:44 »

Check the diodes right under the socket holes. Mine had one missing. Had to jerryrig a throughhole diode to actually test the PCB and it works. I don't know what vendor assembled these PCBs but yikes.
'

This is most likely the cause; since all of those keys are connected on the same column, its likely that one of the diodes is not present, not fully soldered to one of the pads, or one could be dead.

Reheating the pads or adding a little bit of extra solder to the diodes in that column should fix it.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 18:56:45 »
So how's the remaining boards going? Been a while since the last update.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 21:21:23 »

I'm still working on the 3 smoothed bottom parts. The supplier is willing to pay for them to be smoothed here but im having trouble finding a place thats willing to do the work, i'll be calling around this week.
i have all the black tops in perfect condition so those are read.
And there are 2 white tops that have chips that i am working on getting a fix as well.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 00:12:43 »

I'm still working on the 3 smoothed bottom parts. The supplier is willing to pay for them to be smoothed here but im having trouble finding a place thats willing to do the work, i'll be calling around this week.
i have all the black tops in perfect condition so those are read.
And there are 2 white tops that have chips that i am working on getting a fix as well.

Aight, thanks for the update!

Offline a_falling_bomb

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 09:53:58 »
Has anyone found alternative feet? Preferably that come in white.

Offline stein3

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 10:25:27 »
Has anyone found alternative feet? Preferably that come in white.
I don't know the exact measurements of the recessed areas for the feet, but 3m has a few hemispheric options:
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/175691O/3mtm-bumpontm-protective-products.pdf

Offline Umio1

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 01:29:42 »
Update: I will be bringing the 3 plain metal bottoms into a vendor to get polished; the original manufacturer will be covering the cost. not sure the lead time of these parts, but i will provide updates.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 17:55:31 »
Update: the 3 smoothed parts have been dropped off at a finishing site and are estimated to be done next week!

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 22:03:16 »
So what's the easiest way to reprogram this since we can't use QMK Config.? Can we get the Rows/Colums for EasyKeymapper maybe?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2020, 11:33:10 by VoodooBear »

Offline Umio1

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 21:52:40 »
So what's the easiest way to reprogram this since we can't use QMK Config.? Can we get the Rows/Colums for EasyKeymapper maybe?

you can use this to create your layout or just to view the rows/columns: https://kbfirmware.com/
here is a link to the currently uploaded hex file, and the Json file I used to create the hex file through the above link: https://github.com/Neil-de-grass-eating-Bisson/Canvas-Mahjong-Keyboards/tree/master/Mahjong%20Firmware
Upload the Json to KBfirmware.com and everything you need to adjust should be there.
reset button on the bottom of the PCB will get rid of the current program.
Use QMK Toolbox to upload the created hex file into the board when its connected via usb.

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 01:04:25 »

you can use this to create your layout or just to view the rows/columns: https://kbfirmware.com/
here is a link to the currently uploaded hex file, and the Json file I used to create the hex file through the above link: https://github.com/Neil-de-grass-eating-Bisson/Canvas-Mahjong-Keyboards/tree/master/Mahjong%20Firmware
Upload the Json to KBfirmware.com and everything you need to adjust should be there.
reset button on the bottom of the PCB will get rid of the current program.
Use QMK Toolbox to upload the created hex file into the board when its connected via usb.

Awesome, thanks. I have it ready to go just, haven't had time to re-progam, use it, etc. You made a beautiful board. Mad props. I'll try to have some pictures up soon.

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 21:17:48 »

I'm getting a "dfu-programmer: no device present" error when trying to flash :( Recognizes it when I hit the reset button, but flash doesn't stick.

EDIT: All good now! Love this thing. Came with a lil chip of paint like some others, but it was on the inner portion of the bottom plate so no problem.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2020, 13:48:35 by fooddoof »

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 16:43:34 »

I'm getting a "dfu-programmer: no device present" error when trying to flash :( Recognizes it when I hit the reset button, but flash doesn't stick.

EDIT: All good now! Love this thing. Came with a lil chip of paint like some others, but it was on the inner portion of the bottom plate so no problem.

How'd you fix it? Keep getting the same thing.

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 20:13:41 »

How'd you fix it? Keep getting the same thing.

Hit the reset, don't hit clear--go straight to flash.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 19:29:56 »
Quick update:

I will be calling the polishing facility this week to check if the parts are ready for pickup. 90% sure they will be done and ready to ship this weekend!

thanks,

Offline stein3

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 21:10:10 »
Very excited 🙂
Quick update:

I will be calling the polishing facility this week to check if the parts are ready for pickup. 90% sure they will be done and ready to ship this weekend!

thanks,

Offline Umio1

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 13:46:19 »
Very excited 🙂
Quick update:

thanks,

I called this week but got no answer so i'll be checking again This Thursday. Sorry for all the delays, I've been traveling a lot for work recently :(

Offline bprisbe

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 15:26:28 »

Hi, I still haven't finished the keyboard because of 23-26 still not working. I think the diodes are dead. Where can I buy some extra diodes? Also, I need a couple more hot-swap sockets.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2020, 10:46:14 by bprisbe »

Offline Umio1

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 20:34:20 »

Hi, I still haven't finished the keyboard because of 23-26 still not working. I think the diodes are dead. Where can I buy some extra diodes? Also, I need a couple more hot-swap sockets.

I'll ship you some diodes and hot-swap sockets as soon as I get back from my business trip no problem at all! estimated amount you need?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 20:38:11 »
Very excited 🙂
Quick update:

thanks,

I called this week but got no answer so i'll be checking again This Thursday. Sorry for all the delays, I've been traveling a lot for work recently :(

Update to the Update: Got a callback, there was a delay but he said the last couple cases should be ready for pickup this week and then shipping this weekend!