Author Topic: MX Board 6.0 (Review?)  (Read 2216 times)

Offline KaminKevCrew

MX Board 6.0 (Review?)
« on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 16:52:11 »
Well, this is my first review type thingy, and it's also the first experience I've ever had with Cherry Red switches.
First off, I suppose I should get the shipping thing out of the way... Anyway, I bought it from a third party seller on amazon US. I was initially disappointed that they didn't include any tracking info. So basically, I have no idea where the keyboard came from, or anything like that. Secondly, the seller (to remain unnamed) used the cheapest shipping solution I have ever seen in my life. It came in a plastic shipping envelope. 107508-0
<= One of those, only bigger.

Fortunately, Cherry has excellent packaging to go around the keyboard, and mine arrived without any damage! The outside of the box is fairly plain, but definitely nice. Once you get inside the box, there is an explosion of red everywhere, and I love the look. The box inside the sleeve is bright red with an embossed cherry logo, and that's it. Once you open the box, you are presented with the bag that the keyboard ships in. It's actually a really, really nice travel sleeve that would (I imagine) do a very good job of keeping the board scratch free. Other than that, there isn't much. Oh, but the sleeve does have a sticker on it reminding you to update the board to the latest firmware.

Now on to the keyboard itself. The cable is nice; it's relatively thin (at least, coming from my daskeyboard 4, it's thinner than that) and sleeved very well. The aluminum plate on the top of the keyboard is wonderful looking, and really lends itself quite well to the black and red theme of the board, adding a nice bit of contrast. Also, I'm a huge fan of the dual colors for the caps, num, scroll locks and the windows key and FN key. Although, a thing to note is that when those keys are blue, they will not dim. I like that, because it makes it really obvious when one is on (as would be for a non-backlit keyboard) but some may be bothered by it. The backlight is probably my favorite thing about the keyboard. It seems to be a little bit darker, than most keyboards, so it's nice to look at.

The keycaps are really quite strange though. They do have a nice soft touch coating, very similar to a Razer keyboard, but they are low profile, despite the full travel of the switch. The reason it's so weird for me may very well be due to the fact that I've never used Cherry Reds before, but the low profile makes my hands be in a somewhat different position than I'm used to. I greatly prefer the Cherry caps to Razer ones though, since the secondary functions of the number keys, and all of the FN keys have their functions backlit. For instance, on my Razer Blackwidow 2013, if I was in a dark environment, I wouldn't be able to see where % showed up on the keyboard, which made it very difficult to type certain things. It was also almost impossible for me to find the media keys on the Razer, whereas on the Cherry they will all be backlit.

As for the wrist rest, the natural rubber feels very, very good. It attaches via magnets, and it's secure, but you won't be picking the keyboard up via the wrist rest (probably a good thing). The wrist wrest is very different to what I'm used to. My old keyboard is a Daskeyboard 4 Ultimate with white PBT double shot keycaps, and a grifiti wrist wrest with a cloth top. The grifiti wrest has a level surface, so it really propped my hands up. The Cherry one slants down in line with the angle of the keyboard (more or less). This slant makes typing with the feet extended uncomfortable for me, but YMMV. With the feet down, it's a very comfortable experience.

So far, I have not noticed the Real-Key tech making any difference to my movements in game, or anything, but I like the idea that there will never be any ghosting anywhere (although I can't say that I've ever noticed it before... ever)

I greatly prefer the media keys on the MX Board 6.0 to my Das. The keys on the Cherry are mechanical, and the same cannot be said for the Das. Also, there are volume adjustment buttons for F1-F3, but I personally don't mind the change from the wheel of the Das, since I use external hardware for all of my volume adjustment, so windows always stays at 100%.

I guess that's about all I have to say so far. I'll come back and update if anything more comes to mind. Overall, I've had a great experience so far, although we will see if this becomes a gaming-only keyboard due to the Cherry reds. I've been typing on Browns for the past three years, so this is hard to get used to, but we will see how I get on.

Please, please give feedback! This is my first review, and I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me! (I know I haven't posted pictures yet, I'll see what I can do about it this evening, but I'm not promising anything right now)

Edit: I just realized that there is a review section. I sincerely apologize for missing that, and if a mod would like to move this thread over there, I would greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 17:38:27 by KaminKevCrew »