Author Topic: Shootout: Topre Realforce vs. Matias Mini Quiet  (Read 5211 times)

Offline jokkebk

Shootout: Topre Realforce vs. Matias Mini Quiet
« on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:40:49 »
Hi all!

After positive feedback from you guys from my previous review on Topre Realforce 88UB (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69735.msg1674567#msg1674567), I decided to do another one, this time it's more of a comparison between the Realforce 88UB and a new acquisition I did, Matias Mini Quiet:

I wrote a longer version in my blog, Realforce vs. Matias Mini Shootout, but I thought a condensed version would work better in a forum. Any comments and questions are welcome!

Specifications

Both the Realforce 88UB and Matias Mini shared UK layout, and the form factor is quite similar, with Matias being a bit smaller (and deviating from the tenkeyless layout). Realforce is pricier, but otherwise specs are similar:

Topre Realforce 88UB
Price:   ca. $295
Layout: Tenkeyless
Mechanism   : Topre 45g
Weight: Heavy (1200g)
Connectivity: USB
Keys:   Dye sublimation (black on black)
Extras:   Yellow WASD keys and keycap tool

Matias Mini Quiet Pro
Price:   ca. $160
Layout:      Compact with cursors
Mechanism   : Matias quiet
Weight: Sturdy (950g)
Connectivity: USB
Keys:   Laser etched (white on black)
Extras:   3 USB 2.0 ports and two cables (long & short)

As far as pure specifications go, Matias Mini is a winner with clearly better price/performance ratio.

Case and form factor

Topre is somewhat heavier and also feels more solid with its high-quality matte plastic. Matias Mini uses glossy black plastic in its case which is sure to attract fingerprints sooner rather than later. Matias' design looks a bit 90s to my eye, which is a slight minus.

The Matias keys are made of semi-matte black plastic that has both pleasant and high quality feel to it. The laser-etched key markings are very easy to read and compare favorably against Topre’s black-on-black.

Topre is three centimeters (a bit over an inch) wider, which gives space for full set of 9 special keys in addition to the cursor keys. Matias Mini squeezes the cursor keys nearer to the enter key, which makes the keys easier to reach in middle of typing. Downside is that many other of these keys, including Insert require Fn modifier, and are in nonstandard position.

I like the (many might think dull) Realforce look more, but the compact form factor and glossy finishing of Matias might attract others. I'd say this category is a draw.

Typing experience

Topre has an excellent tactile feel, a satisfying high-quality sound signature, and I feel the 45g weight gives enough resistance while being light enough not to tire your fingers over longer typing sessions. The standard layout also makes switching between this and other keyboards easy.

Initially when switching from Topre, the Matias keys feel a bit heavier, as they should as they are close to 60g if I read their specifications correctly. The sound level of the quiet switches is quite comparable to Topre ones – not silent, but not loud. I’d say both strike a good compromise between audible feedback and not disturbing others.

It takes a while to get used to Matias the switches, but while there definitely is more sideways “wiggle” in the keys if you lightly push the keycaps than Topre keys which are very stable, the typing feel is very nice and after I had typed with the Matias Mini for an hour or so, I did not have any urge to switch back to Topre — actually I spent three weeks happily typing away with the Matias keyboard.

You can listen to a sound recording of the two keyboards (made with Zoom H1 recorder, of course you cannot say anything about the level of sound) from the blog article, I don't know how to link it here.

On absolute scale from 1-10 with 10 being the best, I would give Topre 9 (I have to admit I’m a fan, though). But Matias Mini is surprisingly good as well, and I’d rate it 8. The winner in this category is Topre Realforce.

Winner and Conclusions

Based on several weeks of use of the Matias Mini, and several months with Realforce, I'd sum up the plusses and minuses of the two keyboards:

Topre Realforce 88UB
+ Excellent typing feel
+ Superb construction quality
+ Very nice sound signature
+ Good (and standard) layout
- Extremely high price
- No extras
- Hard-to-read key markings

Matias Mini Quiet Pro
+ Very good typing feel
+ Good construction quality
+ Nice sound signature
+ Good (and compact) layout
+ USB ports, detachable cable
- High price
- Some wiggle in keycaps
- Design may divide opinions

If I had to pick one keyboard to take on a desert island (and this being geekhack, we all know we'd take a keyboard first, right?), my choice would be the Realforce. However, I'm not sure if it is actually 80 % better than the Matias, even though it is about as much pricier. The Matias switches are definitely interesting and I like their feel, so for a true mechanical keyboard fan, I’d say you’ll have to have either this or a non-quiet version of the Matias in your collection, for example the KBP V60 Mini with Matias Click switches which Keyboard Company recently did a review on in their blog.

Thanks for reading the review, and happy typing!
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:42:38 by jokkebk »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Shootout: Topre Realforce vs. Matias Mini Quiet
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:46:25 »
A nice read. I preferred the long version to the abridged one you posted here.

I'm a little surprised that you marked the wobble as a con on the Matias switches. I guess I come from the perspective of being an Alps fanboy and so I actually like that wobble. Topre doesn't have this issue I don't think but some MX-mount switches feel weird when you strike them off center. The Alps wobble means you don't get that feeling.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 12:04:54 »
very nice review. I have both keyboard, and my choice goes to Realforce too.

I rotate them in my office, along with one red switch and one black switch keyboard. Among those four, I have to say I prefer Matias least.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline jokkebk

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:07:28 »
I guess I come from the perspective of being an Alps fanboy and so I actually like that wobble. Topre doesn't have this issue I don't think but some MX-mount switches feel weird when you strike them off center. The Alps wobble means you don't get that feeling.

Haha, I really hadn't thought it that way, but I guess you are kinda right, the slight give in the keycaps makes it easier to hit the keys. Good to know it might be there for a purpose!

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 21:42:57 »
Great review, I also enjoyed the extended review more. To me the Matias Mini Quiet looks...cheap :-X. It's encouraging to hear that it actually has a sturdy build quality. With the current CM Novatouch and KBParadise v80 Matias drops on Massdrop, its going to be extremely difficult for me not to do a side-by-side review myself  :thumb:

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:09:19 »
Nice review Matias boards have peaked my interest recently, its a shame that topre boards are so damn pricey. Love em but man are they damn expensive...