Author Topic: Zowie ZA-13 Review  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Tofunator

Zowie ZA-13 Review
« on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:01:45 »
Just a review of the new line of mice coming from Zowie specifically the ZA-13(the smallest of the 3). I will be comparing this mouse to the FK2 mostly.

AESTHETICS

The mouse sports a white/black colour scheme where the new logo and mouse wheel are white and the main body is black. There is anti-sweat coating all around the mouse, though knowing Zowie, it might fade faster than most other mice as I've experienced with their FK series. The coating on the top portion of the mouse seems to be slightly rougher than the side portion of the mouse, whether or not this is intended is unclear but it still feels alright none the less. The profile of the mouse is more rounded since the middle and rear of the mouse has been raised compared to the FK series. As someone who has switched from the FK series it felt like an egg at first, as the hump peaks its height more near the center of the mouse. There has also been an addition of "wings" near the front of the mouse where the sides protrude a tiny bit to allow the user to pick up the mouse with their ring finger.

PERFORMANCE

The mouse has the Avago 3310 sensor which is a "perfect" sensor. It can switch between 125/500/1000hz and 400/800/1600/3200dpi. It also has a super low LOD which can be set to plastic mouse pad,cloth mouse pad or a high setting. There is no acceleration with the mouse, no angle snapping, no jitters, etc.

BUTTONS/MOUSEWHEEL

Compared with the FK2 that I had, the mouse buttons are slightly lighter and snappier. With the Huano switches, the mouse gives you a very firm and tactile click. Though there have been issues with input delay from the mouse buttons in the past, it seems like it has been fixed on the ZA series or greatly reduced compared to the FK2 that I had. The side buttons are also improved compared to the FK predecessor. The side buttons aren't mushy and they protrude further out and is bigger compared to the FK which is a great improvement. They are also perfectly placed to just above your thumb where you can quickly use it when you need it and it's not in your way. The mouse wheel is very notchy, where you know that you have scrolled. Though compared to other mice it definitely has more resistance and its harder to scroll despite it feeling lighter to scroll than the FK. Mouse button 3 also feels noticeably lighter and shorter to press compared to the FK but still tactile. So far there have been no issues with the mouse wheel skipping or activating by itself as it has with other Zowie mice.

BUILD QUALITY

The build quality is alright, nothing special or out of the ordinary. The plastic doesn't feel the greatest but I wouldn't say its cheap feeling either. It also has a rubber cord compared to the popular braided cords which I don't mind at all. The cord is also fairly long which accommodates most setups. There is however a slight rattling of the mouse wheel but I think that's standard.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I mainly bought this mouse to replace my FK2 because I felt that there was a lack of hump with the mouse. Despite this mouse being for palm grippers, I would say that I'm a hybrid grip user, where my hands are claw griped but I do use some contact with my palm, but not so much that I smother the whole mouse with my hand. My hand is 18cm from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my palm. I can fully palm the mouse comfortably without my finger tips extending beyond the mouse. The mouse has performed flawless so far, where there is no problems with the mouse wheel or input delay(that I felt). And it's the perfect mouse for my use as I am heavily invested into playing CS:GO though it works perfectly fine for MOBAs and casual MMO. The lack of software means that I can plug and play anywhere with no compatibility issues and it will always perform consistently.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:10:02 by Tofunator »

Offline Coreda

Re: Zowie ZA-13 Review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:17:17 »
Nice review! Disappopinted Zowie continue to use Huano switches though, they get tiring on my fingers. Have read Omrons are better in that regard.

Offline Tofunator

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:34:31 »
Nice review! Disappopinted Zowie continue to use Huano switches though, they get tiring on my fingers. Have read Omrons are better in that regard.

Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish there was a switch that was between an Omron and Huano switch where it was tactile but it required less force.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 20:51:18 »
Good review! Sounds like a pretty good mouse.
Yoda grammar best has