Author Topic: EEPW84/XD84 (Ch)ustom 75% Review  (Read 8809 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
EEPW84/XD84 (Ch)ustom 75% Review
« on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 15:54:22 »
Hey guys, got a super deal on an EEPW84 or in some circles is known as the XD84. It's a great keyboard with a variety of different option when it comes to building it. I have the high profile alu case version. The only really bad thing I can think of about it is that underglow is not that great, and it's got a fairly wonky but creative means to reset the PCB. Check out the review.

Offline Cotay

Re: EEPW84/XD84 (Ch)ustom 75% Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 12:33:06 »
Thanks for this; your review is timely for me. I have been a fan of the XD boards for some time and I built two XD60s last year. I've really debated getting the XD84 since you can order it shipped directly from lovestream1989 for about $100. If you go to lovestream1989's listing on Taobao, he provides a link to ordering directly from him (although he is only offering the blue aluminum case directly at present). He also offers less expensive case options. Given that he supplies Massdrop, I'm betting we see these on Massdrop in the future (albeit at a slightly inflated price).

The comparison to the KBD75 is obvious and I think they both have their advantages. With the KBD75 you don't have to hassle with soldering the extra LED row/strip and it uses Bootmapper Client instead of TMK. However, the XD84 has many more build options and it can be had at a much lower price. The XD84 also has the advantage that the Cospad custom numpad is designed to mimic its look and feel.

Personally I can't decide on the XD84 vs KBD75, so I'll probably just end up getting both in different colors. :)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 16:01:17 »
Personally I can't decide on the XD84 vs KBD75, so I'll probably just end up getting both in different colors. :)

Thank you very much! I've seen the KBD75 a few times but I have never owned one. From my brief interactions with it, I think it also is slightly more angled. Can't confirm that though. Thanks for letting me know about lovestream, I think if possible I'd want the low profile case so my KBD75 won't look so similar.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 17:24:16 »
Nice review, thanks for posting! That does look an very nice & affordable 75% kit, I may have to look into this as I'm trying to expand my collection beyond the 65%, 60%, & TKL realm. I recent built a Let's Split! which was my 1st foray into ortho, 40%, & split boards, I'm loving it BTW. Although 75%, 96 key, & hopefully compact 1800 are my next targets for builds.

I've thought about getting a Vortex Race & Leopold 980M to try out 75% & compact 1800 layouts, but I've come to the realization just building a custom is the best route for me. Ever since I built my 1st custom with tuned switches & stabs I've found pre-built mechs to be underwhelming no matter the quality. I highly prefer lubed switches tuned with heavy springs & lubed/clipped stabs (planning trying the band-aid mod on my next build as well) vs any stock offerings, even with the likes of Zealios, MODs, etc. So I figure it's pretty pointless to buy a pre-built mech when I know for fact I will end up tearing apart & tuning to my liking.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 21:14:14 »
Thanks, great timing.
This and the KBD75 are at the top of my short list for new keyboards.

I've seen the KBD75 a few times but I have never owned one. From my brief interactions with it, I think it also is slightly more angled. Can't confirm that though.

Depends on the case you choose, the EEPW84 has at least 3 case options available on Aliexpress, one folded stainless (which is a good deal if you want to start off cheap), one like Merlin's and another with what looked like strong but sketchily designed (in my opinion) bolt on feet.  I have also seen at least two KBD75 cases, so buyer beware.

It may be confusing, but it also makes it one of more hackable keyboards out there, which is surprising considering it's not such a common form factor.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 13:44:42 »
Good review..

But could be enhanced with m0ar h0t females.. !!