Author Topic: IBM SSK - USB Conversion w/ Hub, and Mic/Audio  (Read 6633 times)

Offline weenis

IBM SSK - USB Conversion w/ Hub, and Mic/Audio
« on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 10:39:58 »
I purchased an IBM SSK and want to do the following-

[*]Add LEDs for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock
    [*]Optional Detachable USB
    [*]MIC and Headphone Jack
    [*](1) Functional USB port
    [*]Bolt Mod
    [*]Spring replacement
    [/LIST]

Pic of the KB-

With "Optional Detachable USB", I want this entire mod to be able to be turned off with a small switch that would allow for the original IBM cable to still function, if I wanted. With most of my usage being USB, I want to be able to put the IBM cable away, and use the USB cable to use the keyboard, audio, and functional USB port.

I started with the USB hub. I ordered it from Amazon, this is what I ordered- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028Y4F4S/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

With the USB hub and a Blue Cube converter, I started on connecting the converter to the hub. Got that finished, tested, everything works. Here are pictures-

I stabilized it with some cut pieces from the USB port and soldered them on-

Found a Num Lock / Caps Lock / Scroll Lock face plate to use for the LEDs-

Also have a new Caps Lock key[strike] for mounting an LED inside of[/strike]. I am not mounting an LED at this time-

Here is a picture of the second keyboard PCB that I am going to connect to the hub so that I can read whether Num/Caps/Scroll is on, it was salvaged from a USB Dell non-media Keyboard-

Not doing this at this time-> [strike]The electrical engineer friend of mine says I may have to change a resistor to provide power to the additional LED. We shall see.[/strike]

Well, here's my work area...

I wanted to add a Mic and Headphone jack to this, so here's the attempt-

With a 1/4" chisel, this can be smoothed out real nice, but the top was a little closer than I wanted.

After testing, I have realized that the adapter I purchased completely sucks. I have a different one on order, and am going to mount it a bit differently than seen here. Here is the one I purchased-

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Advantage-Headset-Adapter/dp/B0036VO4XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326901650&sr=8-1

I desoldered the LEDs on the second PCB, and mounted them in the case spaced with the windows in the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock decal-

I had to keep track of the +/- when taking them off the PCB, and then mounted them in the case all facing the same direction. I got 3 pairs of black and white wires and soldered them to the LEDs-

Hooked the project up to a computer with another keyboard attached, turned on Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock, they all lit up. Each LED actuates with the pressing of each lock key.

I ordered Screws/Washers/Nuts from McMaster-Carr yesterday, without specifying shipping, I received them in under 24 hours, totaling $6 shipped-

Here's the Bolt Mod, the keys really feel good now, I also replaced all the springs/clappers with new ones from Unicomp-

Back-

I was sick for a while and didn't really get around to finishing this, today was the first bit of time that I had to be able to finish this up.

Got then new Turtle Beach USB sound device in, it works amazingly.

I stripped off the outer wire, and fitted the new device-

Here it is installed and working-

Some people were asking how it was I did the LEDs. I removed the PCB from a USB Dell keyboard, and screwed it to the bottom of the plate. I plugged the USB into the hub, and desoldered the LED's, putting them in the case and wiring them to the PCB-

Also, here are where the LEDs are, I had to grind away material on the plate. I also taped it cause it was tight, and I didn't want it rubbing against the silicone-

Here it is complete... NumPad is on-

Overhead picture-

Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
    « Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 13:40:53 »
    That's a really cool idea to do with the blue cube! Then there isn't any room for cable failure.

Offline weenis

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:46:08 »
    I'm wanting to add LEDs for Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock.

And here we go, I just found a nice label. :)

Pulled from an old Dell Quietkey.
    « Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2012, 13:22:57 by weenis »
    Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:54:47 »
    Are you going with a USB B connector on the keyboard so you can do removable cables?

Offline weenis

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 22:04:24 »
    Yes.

Offline weenis

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 00:55:29 »
    This post has been to added to wiki.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2012, 09:43:14 by weenis »

Offline weenis

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 19:45:47 »
    I completed the keyboard.

The keyboard has a mic jack, headphone jack, Num/Caps/Scroll indicator lights, and removable USB. It is also worth mentioning that the way I did this mod, the keyboard will still work if the original IBM cable is used. So if this should be plugged into a PS2 port using the original cable, the USB cable can't be plugged in, it will function just like it does default. Bolt mod is completed, love how it feels/sounds.

In the wiki I posted that I wanted to add a female USB port for peripheral devices, I did not do this. Inside the keyboard on the hub I have a spare USB. I may add the USB later, or incorporate a Raspberry Pi.

Here she is :)

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 19:51:06 by weenis »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
    • weird funny old guy
    « Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:01:51 »
    That is pretty bad-ass.

I am desperately trying to think of a reason that I want to spent the hours and dollars it would take to do this.

Since I have "several" Model M/Fs available to cut out, grind off, and drill into, I am well on the way.

The gargantuan size and interior volume of my beloved converted Model F 122-keys, my current obsession, beg for additional mods to utilize some of that wasted interior territory, but since I am not a gamer, I just don't NEED those extra holes.

Oh well, after the handful of other mods I have on the table, I may try this one.

Thanks !
    Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
    So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
    - Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline weenis

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:51:48 »
    Quote from: fohat.digs;502671
    That is pretty bad-ass.

I am desperately trying to think of a reason that I want to spent the hours and dollars it would take to do this.

Since I have "several" Model M/Fs available to cut out, grind off, and drill into, I am well on the way.

The gargantuan size and interior volume of my beloved converted Model F 122-keys, my current obsession, beg for additional mods to utilize some of that wasted interior territory, but since I am not a gamer, I just don't NEED those extra holes.

Oh well, after the handful of other mods I have on the table, I may try this one.

Thanks !
    Thanks, It was definitely a labor of convenience/love.

It would be pretty sweet to put a Raspberry Pi in one... ... ... hint hint. Your keyboard IS your computer.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
    « Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:22:08 »
    It'd be like a Linux Commodore! :madgrin:

Offline weenis

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 22:29:19 »
    The Sugru dried wonderfully, I added pictures of the PCB. Hopefully that clears up some of the questions.