Author Topic: What IBM keyboard is this? Model M?  (Read 7886 times)

Offline -----------8<------------

What IBM keyboard is this? Model M?
« on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 14:46:09 »
Hi all!

Would anyone able to identify this keyboard?

It's alledgedly IBM Corp.

It kinda looks like a Model M, it's just the horizontal line running above the function keys that's confusing me, also the arrows on the cursor keys look slightly larger than those I've seem on other Model M piccies.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 14:56:47 »
Definitely nothing that IBM ever made. Looks like an Alps or Chicony board of some kind.

You might want to look at this. It's in Japanese for the most part, but has a load of good pictures. I'm pretty sure I've seen that sort of keyboard before, so it could be in there under the Alps section.

If not, you might want to remove a keycap and post a description of it here. (best way is to get two flathead screwdrivers and yank the cap up from both sides) Also - details from the back? Any FCC numbers or manufacturer details?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2010, 15:12:34 by ch_123 »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 20:53:48 »
Quote from: ripster;164066
Modern USB Rock beats ASCII Scissors.
Show Image
USB Drive made out of recycled newspaper beats USB Rock.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 22:14:55 »

well...since we're posting pics of this sort.....

Bullet- (or at least rock-) proof!!

Spec57

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 23:26:07 »
Quote from: ripster;164059
Looks like a ebay pic so OP (what emoticon IS that?) might not have any other info.

Doesn't look IBM to me.  Too ugly.

Ironically, many people accuse my many IBM products to be "ugly".

I have some silver IBM jump drives (although, they were branded by another company by IBM).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 23:59:44 »
Quote from: -----------8<------------;163971
Hi all!

Would anyone able to identify this keyboard?

Show Image

It's alledgedly IBM Corp.

It kinda looks like a Model M, it's just the horizontal line running above the function keys that's confusing me, also the arrows on the cursor keys look slightly larger than those I've seem on other Model M piccies.

Is that picture from ebay? Any other info on the original web site?  Doesn't look like any IBM keyboard I've seen although certainly in a similar style.  No IBM logo or obvious location of missing logo seems to point to not being IBM.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 00:02:53 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;164099
Is that picture from ebay? Any other info on the original web site?  Doesn't look like any IBM keyboard I've seen although certainly in a similar style.  No IBM logo or obvious location of missing logo seems to point to not being IBM.

It looks like a cheesy knock-off. They were too ashamed to even put a logo.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 01:54:20 »
Yeah, but they screwed up by giving it ISO layout instead of ANSI. But the coloring pattern for the keys is the same, and the LED thingy bit is identical. One thing I noticed... They tried to fake a bezel, but they were too cheap to make the board itself sculpted. So it looks like they've curved the bezel up, so that it kind of looks like the Model M in that regard too.

See if you can get a closeup of any labels, I'd be interested to know if there's a UL number.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 03:59:04 »
That's not ISO, that's 'inverted-L enter' fail.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 14:52:19 »
The label design reminds me of this OKI. While it's not an IBM, it does look interesting enough that I'd try picking it up inexpensively.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 15:08:08 »
+1 for picking it up if not too expensive. Smells interesting, especially given the similarity to the Oki keyb_gr recognized.
Typing on blues.

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 15:30:09 »
Yeah it's eBay.

It's one of those sellers that doesn't seem to have a particularly good grasp of English.

Have asked 3 times for a piccie of the label or specifics on make and model, keep getting back "this is made by the ibm corporation", "hi from the paperwork it just looks like it was made by a subsidary company of ibm" and similar.

Since discovering this forum I keep buying boards of feBay that turn out to be rubbish, didn't fancy getting stung again.  Yes they're cheap but it's all adding up, plus I seem to have a small stack of crap keyboards building up here!

Actually the bidding's finished, I forgot to bid originally so mailed him to see if he wanted to sell and have been discussing since then.  Have just mailed him asking for his Paypal.  Will report when (if!) it turns up.

Ta all!

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 17:26:32 »
Quote from: -----------8<------------;164212
Yeah it's eBay.

It's one of those sellers that doesn't seem to have a particularly good grasp of English.

Have asked 3 times for a piccie of the label or specifics on make and model, keep getting back "this is made by the ibm corporation", "hi from the paperwork it just looks like it was made by a subsidary company of ibm" and similar.

Since discovering this forum I keep buying boards of feBay that turn out to be rubbish, didn't fancy getting stung again.  Yes they're cheap but it's all adding up, plus I seem to have a small stack of crap keyboards building up here!

Actually the bidding's finished, I forgot to bid originally so mailed him to see if he wanted to sell and have been discussing since then.  Have just mailed him asking for his Paypal.  Will report when (if!) it turns up.

Ta all!

I'd just forget about it. That doesn't look like a keyboard worth bending backwards for.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 17:29:11 »
Quote from: -----------8<------------;164212
Yeah it's eBay.

Ta all!

Got a link to it?  Seemed like you didn't want to post it earlier, but if bidding is over, what's the harm?

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 14:50:23 »
This arrived today.

It's as new, never used and even came with the manual. =)

Top view

US layout, bought in UK.

Side

I presume this is buckling spring, it sounds just like my Unicomp Customizer, but is slightly quieter and the keys are lower profile.

And some manual piccies, only photo'd the relevant stuff, there are lots more pages in the manual about what sysreq is for and similar.

M-key rollover!

Specs, gibberish to me TBH.

Quote from: keyb_gr;164199
The label design reminds me of this OKI.
WIN!

Can't see any year of manufacture.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 March 2010, 14:53:16 by -----------8<------------ »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 14:56:37 »
Definitely no buckling spring... It's an OKI keyboard which have their own switches. I think I remember someone describing them before, you might want to do a search for OKI and you'll find some threads on it.

EDIT: Here

Sounds like you've found yourself a good one.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 16:27:18 »
Congrats! That's a really special find, I think these Okis are rare. Not just another boring Model M everybody has. If you don't like it and still want a Model M, you can probably sell it at a good price with a proper description and some good photos. I hope you'll write a review first though.
Typing on blues.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 19:10:14 »
Quote from: ripster;165486
Good thing you didn't listen to us.....

Since when did EverythingIBM represent 'us'?

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 19:33:14 »
Nice find, mate. I thought for sure it was going to turn out to be some knock-off rubberdome in disguise! It does sound like the seller was trying to scam you, but you got the better end of the deal anyway!
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 19:37:29 »
Quote from: ripster;165517

Show Image

Very pertinent advice when it was made...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 20:45:17 »
You could use it with some IBM-compatible machines too.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 04:16:57 »
They came later...

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 05:32:37 »
They're like short travel Model M keys with a lighter buckling spring sound.

Quote from: webwit;165496
The OKI is strange. On one hand it is a light switch with a buckling spring feel and nice click which is not so loud. On the other it is very cheaply built and is not so smooth when not hit in the center. Interesting for a collector. Mine was pretty expensive on ebay, and the few times I saw one after that, it was pretty expensive as well ($100 - $200 region). If you see one relatively cheap, you might just want to grab it to sell it to a crazy Japanese or Dutch collector. Those guys are gullible.

There is something odd about this keyboard, I've been trying to "put my finger on it" but don't really have the experience or vocabulary to explain it.

The core issue is, I think, is as you've described.  That off angle key-presses react slightly differently.  It's not major on this keyboard (it's effectively brand new) but it's enough to make certain key-presses sound and feel very slightly different, making touch-typing feel a little odd.

Obviously this keyboard hasn't been run in yet, there may be a bit of stiffness, the space bar does feel overly stiff.  But if you're in a touch-typing position, the outer keys when pressed with your little fingers aren't hit straight on.  As a result I think what's happening is that the qaz & [;. areas effectively provide a slightly different force curve.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 March 2010, 06:54:07 by -----------8<------------ »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 07:41:27 »
Might be time to whip out the silicone (or even PTFE) spray. Did a good job with friction on a Cherry MY board, shouldn't be much different here. (Of course it better be applied to the plastic-on-plastic contact points only.) Seems a touch of glue for that LED label wouldn't hurt either.

Good find in any case.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 13:18:37 »
Quote from: ripster;165517
Now, now..... I wouldn't have given the keyboard a second look either.

The instruction manual is pretty nifty too - sure beats anything I ever got with an IBM.  This still cracks me up.
Show Image

IBM gave me a diagnostics floppy disk when my model of computer doesn't even HAVE a floppy drive (although, it works in thinkcentres).
The IBM manuals are actually quite helpful, they list all of the internals of their computers, how to open them etc. I've used them plenty of times.

However, there are the ocassional mistakes, like, showing how to hook up a modern L190 LCD to a 5160's 9-pin port:

I'm not even sure why they made a vector of the 5160, and that L190 manual had a lot of typos. Someone made it in a hurry.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 13:39:02 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;165632
IBM gave me a diagnostics floppy disk when my model of computer doesn't even HAVE a floppy drive (although, it works in thinkcentres).
The IBM manuals are actually quite helpful, they list all of the internals of their computers, how to open them etc. I've used them plenty of times.

However, there are the ocassional mistakes, like, showing how to hook up a modern L190 LCD to a 5160's 9-pin port:
Show Image

I'm not even sure why they made a vector of the 5160, and that L190 manual had a lot of typos. Someone made it in a hurry.

There are 8-bit VGA cards.  Not only can you hook up a flat-panel to a XT, you can hook up a Hercules monitor to the 9-pin port and get a reasonable VGA picture (albeit getting 1.5x copies of the image side-by-side).
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 13:42:51 »
Quote from: sethstorm;165638
There are 8-bit VGA cards.  Not only can you hook up a flat-panel to a XT, you can hook up a Hercules monitor to the 9-pin port and get a reasonable VGA picture (albeit getting 1.5x copies of the image side-by-side).

The port they are plugging the VGA (15) pin into is a 9-pin one...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 14:33:56 »
8-bit VGA? That woke me up.

I have one such card.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca