Author Topic: Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice  (Read 367888 times)

Offline gallowgeek

Re: Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 08:44:14 »
I actually like the feel of the Logitech gaming mice as opposed to the Razer ones. Not that I am a fan of the said company, but I just like the feel of the mouse buttons. Even though they're both using the Omron switches, I just feel that the Logitech G502 that I have has a softer feel to it in every mouse press.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 21:21:35 »
I actually like the feel of the Logitech gaming mice as opposed to the Razer ones. Not that I am a fan of the said company, but I just like the feel of the mouse buttons. Even though they're both using the Omron switches, I just feel that the Logitech G502 that I have has a softer feel to it in every mouse press.

IDK if razer does it,  but logitech will feel more shallow and lighter because the prong which contacts the switch has a specific h shape, where the bars prevent overtravel  in engaging the switch.

This is good for the switch, but it will reduce the travel

Offline Aelon

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 13:32:28 »
I recently bought 10 OMRON "D2FC-F-7N (20M)(OF)" switches for my ASUS ROG Gladius Mouse.

I know that 20M is 20 Million click lifespan. However do you know what (OF) means in paranthesis ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 14:49:37 »
I recently bought 10 OMRON "D2FC-F-7N (20M)(OF)" switches for my ASUS ROG Gladius Mouse.

Show Image

I know that 20M is 20 Million click lifespan. However do you know what (OF) means in paranthesis ?

not in the spec sheet . don't know.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 18:38:38 »
I have no idea, but can only assume it's a special batch made for s company, for example, the spec sheet doesn't list the "M" variant of the switch which is made specifically for Microsoft mice.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rameau

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 10:05:59 »
What do you say about this new one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391705302200?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another thing - I read on Omron's site that the (1M) (for example) it an indication of the mechanical lifespan of the switch, while the electrical lifespan is usually much lower (for example, the electrical lifespan of the one with 1mil mechanical lifespan, is only 100k)

Offline Aelon

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 11:17:38 »
What do you say about this new one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391705302200?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another thing - I read on Omron's site that the (1M) (for example) it an indication of the mechanical lifespan of the switch, while the electrical lifespan is usually much lower (for example, the electrical lifespan of the one with 1mil mechanical lifespan, is only 100k)

I am no expert on OMRON switches but I think these blue buttoned (50M) ones are very stiff.
Where do I know ? Well, my Asus ROG Gladius mouse has those switches inside for the "Forward" and "Backward" buttons. They are blue buttoned and very stiff to press. I think it's the tradeof for such a high lifespan value.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:26:01 »
While researching the OF and K switch, I found a little documentation on the D2F-F-7N and confirmed that it is a 75g (low spring pressure) switch (this info has been added to the guide).
Still not sure if the number refers to assembly line packaging, but would make sense as Omron also builds automation lines.

As for the K switch, apparently these have been nicknamed "blue dots" and are being touted as a 50m direct replacement for the the D2F-F-7N, including spring pressure. Remember, you are used to operating these with a lot more leverage, so a brand new switch in your hand will feel very stiff, that said, the documentation claiming these are a direct replacement for D2F-F-7N comes from Chinese sellers and as many of us are well aware, some of these guys will tell you it folds laundry and makes you meals if they thought it would sell you on it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Rameau

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 18:57:50 »
So there is no trusted source regarding this K version?

And what about the mechanical\electrical lifespan variation?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 19:01:49 »

You only need to worry about lifespan  if you have the proper soldering equipment and technique..

Because I've noticed that most people are putting in these switches outside of the proper soldering guidelines..

Check my WMO ultimate thread below for soldering guide for the omron switches.

Offline Rameau

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 03:46:38 »
I actually did read the guide to properly soldering the OMRON switches and soldered accordingly, so I don't think this is an issue atm, but thanks!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 05:20:34 »

Because this is (what I assume to be) a machine assembled, bulk ordered part, Omron won't just hand out documentation on it as they don't expect the general public to need it. 

As for lifespan, it's right on the side of the switch.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 18:10:54 »

Because this is (what I assume to be) a machine assembled, bulk ordered part, Omron won't just hand out documentation on it as they don't expect the general public to need it. 

As for lifespan, it's right on the side of the switch.

keep in mind that number is marked assuming non- full travel,  as in the switch will be actuated but not be pushed all the way down..

In certain mice like mx518/ g400,  the button flap which goes over the switch in an h shape to prevent over travel..

in mice like the microsoft intellimouse, it's a flat bar which goes full-travel to the bottom out the switch..

So in theory ,  the same switches will last MILLIONS of times longer in a logitech mouse vs the microsoft intellimouse..

IN THE END.. this number simply doesn't matter to the end user, because replacement is cheap.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 19:30:30 »
IN THE END.. this number simply doesn't matter to the end user, because replacement is cheap.
Agreed, the number is almost irrelevant, but not because of price (ever try changing one in a G700?), but because lifespan is much more depending on how you abuse it, which is ridiculously easy to do.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MarvinJamesNL

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 06:54:09 »
Hi all,

My apologies if this post is in the wrong thread, but it's my best guess.

I have opened up my Corsair M65 Pro RGB to have a look "under the hood".
So I did find the expected D2FC-F-7N(20M) switches as the main buttons.

However, the buttons on the side (the ones you click by using your thumb) show no model or brand name except for a logo.
I took a picture of them:

I tried a "reverse image search" of the logo, but I come up empty.
Are these also Omron switches? And if not, does someone know what I'm looking at here?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 07:59:32 »
Hi all,

My apologies if this post is in the wrong thread, but it's my best guess.

I have opened up my Corsair M65 Pro RGB to have a look "under the hood".
So I did find the expected D2FC-F-7N(20M) switches as the main buttons.

However, the buttons on the side (the ones you click by using your thumb) show no model or brand name except for a logo.
I took a picture of them:
Show Image

I tried a "reverse image search" of the logo, but I come up empty.
Are these also Omron switches? And if not, does someone know what I'm looking at here?

those  are not omron.

However,  they're probably just as good..

Omron's patent is out on this switch, so they've been thoroughly cloned by many many other manufacturers..

KEEP IN MIND, there is nothing special about official omrons..

We'll assume they have somewhat stricter quality control..  but, even then, the manufacturers of mice are only using them because they're afraid of people like me making threads about Not getting omrons on the internet..

It's a cult following issue for us die-hards.. hahahahaha

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 16:24:02 »
those  are not omron.

This...
Omrons are not god, it's a mechanical item which can easily be reproduced, especially when a patent and tech documents give all you need to copy it.

If they are working and you don't hate the feel, leave them alone. These switches are actually quite delicate to pressure and heat.
If they are damaged, swap them with what is there or the equivalent Omron.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline OkinaDaikon

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 18:00:42 »
All I can say is thanks for this insightful thread, I always wanted to learn more about mice switches!

I has a couple gaming mice where the switches were acting up, but I never know which switches I should get as a replacement. This will definitely help! :thumb:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 20:47:09 »
Glad you found it helpful. :)
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MarvinJamesNL

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 04:45:05 »
those  are not omron.

This...
Omrons are not god, it's a mechanical item which can easily be reproduced, especially when a patent and tech documents give all you need to copy it.

If they are working and you don't hate the feel, leave them alone. These switches are actually quite delicate to pressure and heat.
If they are damaged, swap them with what is there or the equivalent Omron.

Oh of course! They work fine. And I can imagine they might take "cheaper" switches for the side buttons as in general I assume they are not used as much as the main LMB and RMB.

It was purely from an information perspective that I wanted to figure what switches they used in this area of the mouse, because I'm doing a review of it. :)

Offline P3t4

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 16:04:08 »
I got some new empiric data on the durability of the d2f-01f-t: 6 months of hanzo gameplay :P I'm about to swap them to new ones since the button cuts the circuit before the click while releasing pressure.

Offline Winand

• Github
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 12:20:04 »
(on the previous page) i ordered d2f-01f-t but they sent me d2f-f.) though the pictures of these two were mixed up on that ebay page.
It is really made in Japan. At least there's "omron japan" title.
p.s. I thought it's harder to solder a switch, though i'm not sure if i've done it completely right.)
p.p.s. for some reason old good a4tech feels better than new cool M705
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 May 2017, 14:01:01 by Winand »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:20:55 »
(on the previous page) i ordered d2f-01f-t but they sent me d2f-f.) though the pictures of these two were mixed up on that ebay page.
It is really made in Japan. At least there's "omron japan" title.
p.s. I thought it's harder to solder a switch, though i'm not sure if i've done it completely right.)
p.p.s. for some reason old good a4tech feels better than new cool M705

doesn't matter that much.. but ebay's unreliable, many counterfeits   if you want to get REAL OMRONS  for SURZIES...

Mouser or digikey is the place to get official..

That said...   Even if they're fake... again, they're probably 100% just as good.. hahahahahha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:22:42 »
Next time you do it.. make sure to get a solder sucker, and get the old solder off first..

Offline Rameau

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 06:32:53 »
I came across a new model:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-OMRON-D2FC-F-K-50M-Ultra-Subminiature-Switches-RAZER-Logitech-APPLE-Mouse-/112068354027?hash=item1a17cb5feb:g:UbQAAOSwIgNXlEh8

And I saw that Logitech claim that they use in the new G903 (vs the G900) a new switch which lasts 50m click (vs 20m in the G900). Do you think this is legit?
I bought a few of the 50m, but they weight less than the 20m (easier to click), and it seems odd. They feel like the 5\10m...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:56:18 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-OMRON-D2FC-F-K-50M-Ultra-Subminiature-Switches-RAZER-Logitech-APPLE-Mouse-/112068354027?hash=item1a17cb5feb:g:UbQAAOSwIgNXlEh8

And I saw that Logitech claim that they use in the new G903 (vs the G900) a new switch which lasts 50m click (vs 20m in the G900). Do you think this is legit?
I bought a few of the 50m, but they weight less than the 20m (easier to click), and it seems odd. They feel like the 5\10m...

The 50m would only work in mice designed specifically to  minimize overtravel like logitech's.

If you put it in a Microsoft Wheel mouse optical for example, which always full travels on the click,    it would never even get close to 50m.

Offline Rameau

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 03:31:07 »

The 50m would only work in mice designed specifically to  minimize overtravel like logitech's.

If you put it in a Microsoft Wheel mouse optical for example, which always full travels on the click,    it would never even get close to 50m.

What's overtravel? What's full travel? Am I better off with the regular 20mil in the G900 or is this 50mil version better?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 07:50:59 »

What's overtravel? What's full travel? Am I better off with the regular 20mil in the G900 or is this 50mil version better?

overtravel is OVER what is necessary to complete the actuation

full travel is the maximum amount of travel

If you have a regular g900, stick to the orginals unless you know that the dimensions on the new 50mil are the same,   the travel characteristics especially have to match.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 10:46:52 »
Both the mouse buttons on my G900 died the same way, they lost their click and the weight of my finger would actuate them. I broke it down and it uses D2FC-F-7N(20M). I call BS on that 20 million claim. I replaced them with japanese D2F-F switches, rated at 10 mil since they feel tighter and snappier than the 20 million switches.
It bothers me that logitech would use the chinese switches on such a high end mouse...

Regardless the D2F-F Japanese gray switches feel better than this mouse has ever felt. Make sure when you replace the switch you make sure the switch is pushed all the way in bottoming out in the daughter board, as the tolerances are tight.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2017, 10:52:01 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 15:28:08 »
Both the mouse buttons on my G900 died the same way, they lost their click and the weight of my finger would actuate them. I broke it down and it uses D2FC-F-7N(20M). I call BS on that 20 million claim. I replaced them with japanese D2F-F switches, rated at 10 mil since they feel tighter and snappier than the 20 million switches.
It bothers me that logitech would use the chinese switches on such a high end mouse...

Regardless the D2F-F Japanese gray switches feel better than this mouse has ever felt. Make sure when you replace the switch you make sure the switch is pushed all the way in bottoming out in the daughter board, as the tolerances are tight.

Hahahahah,
That's not how it works.

If it broke on you, in what you consider TOO EARLY.. You're at fault for clicking too hard.

The rating is @ 0% over travel.. it is not a real world use rating.

Meaning if you pressed it down PERFECTLY to the point of actuation and let go.

If you press it down any further,  the number of total possible presses decreases "Exponentially"

This is the nature of mechanical tolerance..

It has nothing to do with China vs Japan.

Those switches are rated by Logitech internally, They're the ones that give go ahead on the 20M labeling, so when they say 20M,  they mean 20M,  but again, it's under very SPECIFIC testing conditions. NOT real-world conditions.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 18:42:53 »

I responded in your other thread as well, but suffice to say, these are not cheap switches. Worse, the switches you installed are pretty much the exact same switch. Why does it feel better? Because it's not damaged.

Those switches are rated by Logitech internally, They're the ones that give go ahead on the 20M labeling, so when they say 20M,  they mean 20M,  but again, it's under very SPECIFIC testing conditions. NOT real-world conditions.
Omron rates them.
However, Logitech does independent testing to verify it before they used it on their packaging.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Landcaps

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 23:03:50 »

I also prefer my logitech g502 compare to razer deathadder. i used razer deathadder for 3-4months and start chattering and g502 for 1.5 years without problem.
but i think it's also very common problem with switches. however, I'm most likely heard razer mice chattering than logitech. not sure why.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 17:43:41 »
Honestly , I am liking Huanos white dot more and more...

The feel is   in between  D2FC and D2F-01F

It has the Deeper travel like the D2F-01F,    but it has a bright clicks like D2FC, even slightly brighter.

Offline maylily

• Custom keyboard | Artisan keycap
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 00:23:44 »
thanks guy, i noted, w8 until my mouse need it

Offline Kolthy

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:43:43 »
Can all switches work in any mouse ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:59:49 »
Kind of... There are d2f switches with bent pins to sit at an angle and levers and wheels on them. However, the d2f body is a standard size, everything else is either internal changes (lifespan and spring pressure) or external (bent pins for sitting on it's side or has a lever attached).

Basically, if it's a d2f and looks correct, odds are it will work, even if it's not a 100% perfect match.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline swiftey

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 08:22:05 »
Hello guys. Im having a problem with middle mouse button on my a4 tech bloody, that is too hard to press. Im thinking of replacing it, but as i can see from YT, those are not standard switches, but little bit taller (maybe japanese, or with some kind of plastic base.. idk). So does anyone recognize those switches, are they standard and can i find it somehere? (softer version of it). I dont want to tear up my mouse and void waranty to find out that is imposible to find replacement. Thanks a lot.

t=190s   (~2:05)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 11:59:50 »
Hello guys. Im having a problem with middle mouse button on my a4 tech bloody, that is too hard to press. Im thinking of replacing it, but as i can see from YT, those are not standard switches, but little bit taller (maybe japanese, or with some kind of plastic base.. idk). So does anyone recognize those switches, are they standard and can i find it somehere? (softer version of it). I dont want to tear up my mouse and void waranty to find out that is imposible to find replacement. Thanks a lot.

t=190s   (~2:05)

If it IS a little taller,  just fold printer paper in 4 folds,  then cut little pieces the size of the switch.  Then you put little holes where the copper legs go into the paper using a mechanical pencil 0.5mm.

THEN, you put the little papers under the switch until you get the right height..

Each piece of paper is ~0.1mm..  if you have a digital caliper, this is even easier to get perfect.. it's ~ $10 for a cheepee.

Don't worry about accuracy,  even cheepees are accurate within 0.1mm.. 

Just tie the switch with a twist tie to the pcb while you solder the first 2 legs on the outside.. 

Then remove the twist tie, and solder the middle..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 16:43:16 »
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the base is just that, a base that slips over the pins, which based on the pic, are probably long enough. Probably.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MikeM

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 15:17:52 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 16:31:18 »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mLocke

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 15:46:55 »

Great Thread.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 19:04:14 »
Thanks.

A note to that picture...
I know sponges are pretty common to clean irons, however, it can also cause micro fractures on the tip. It's not likely to break, but will cause it to be harder and harder to keep clean, eventually needing replacement.

What some do is clean it with brass shavings, and then if you want to protect it, apply fresh solder before putting it away. I don't always go that far, but my tips have lasted longer since I stopped using sponges.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 20:15:10 »
Thanks.

I know sponges are pretty common to clean irons, however, it can also cause micro fractures on the tip. It's not likely to break, but will cause it to be harder and harder to keep clean, eventually needing replacement.

What some do is clean it with brass shavings, and then if you want to protect it, apply fresh solder before putting it away. I don't always go that far, but my tips have lasted longer since I stopped using sponges.
Grab some brass wool or wad up some copper mesh, and shove it in a can or into your soldering iron stand if it has a place for it.

When you need to clean the tip, just stab the wool. It comes out as clean as wiping on a wet sponge, but your tips will last WAY longer.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 20:27:36 »
Thanks.

I recall this had to do with water and rapid cooling, it's not the sponge's fault..

Leave Spongee alone !!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 03:15:27 »
Grab some brass wool or wad up some copper mesh, and shove it in a can or into your soldering iron stand if it has a place for it.

When you need to clean the tip, just stab the wool. It comes out as clean as wiping on a wet sponge, but your tips will last WAY longer.
Seriously, it's AMAZING the difference.

We had a Weller station of some sort, using a sponge we averaged a tip every month, month and a half. Then the Weller died, support for them has gone to hell, so never again. We bought a Hakko 880 to replace it, the first month or so we used the sponge and killed that tip. We stopped using the sponge and have not killed a tip in a year, we even bought a second 880 and have yet to kill a tip on that as well. We actually lost the spare tips we had because we stopped needing them.

I recall this had to do with water and rapid cooling, it's not the sponge's fault..
Correct.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 08:50:23 »
The only thing my sponge does in my hakko 880 station does is act as a lid for the other soldering tips I store under it :P

Offline Grissess

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 16:07:49 »
Just wanted to give you another data point: my (now quite old) Logitech G500 indeed has a "D2FC-F-7N(10M)" pair of Omron switches. I'm discovering this today, because it seems like they've finally reached their usable limit--not too long after having to fix the infamous "cable break" bug at the connector :) . I took some pictures for posterity, if someone wants them.

Thanks for the excellent writeup! I used this to confirm that some D2F-01F-T switches a friend had lying around would be at least an adequate replacement for now. I suppose this will come in handy again if those end up not working out for some reason :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 17:52:07 »
Just wanted to give you another data point: my (now quite old) Logitech G500 indeed has a "D2FC-F-7N(10M)" pair of Omron switches. I'm discovering this today, because it seems like they've finally reached their usable limit--not too long after having to fix the infamous "cable break" bug at the connector :) . I took some pictures for posterity, if someone wants them.

Thanks for the excellent writeup! I used this to confirm that some D2F-01F-T switches a friend had lying around would be at least an adequate replacement for now. I suppose this will come in handy again if those end up not working out for some reason :)

Still using G500 , that's pretty dedicated after all these years..

I'm using mainly my ergopwn 9000,  and a g403 on the side.

Offline zennon

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:35:19 »
I replaced my Logitech Marathon m705 switches yesterday after spending quite some time desoldering, especially the square joint, wouldn't melt! But i did it and it worked!

Today i tried to do the same on a cheaper mouse Logitech M510, it went as a breeze and i was so confident. But went i turned it on, both clicks didn't work, i replaced both. I noticed that the switches were Kailh and i replaced with the Omron, could they not be compatible? Other thing that i might have screwed up when desoldering is i removed a metal ring around a joint in the back.

Now that i've reopened it and examined the joints, i'm pretty sure it's that metal ring that i removed since the solder doesn't stay down but rather form like a ball on top. If that's the problem, does anyone know how i could replace that metal ring? I thought all circuits are supposed on the other side?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:47:47 by zennon »