Author Topic: [IC] SA Cube (New renders)  (Read 11329 times)

Offline booleanjulien

[IC] SA Cube (New renders)
« on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 22:09:15 »
Was feeling creative today and decided to give a go at designing a GameCube themed set. I decided on SA because it reminds me of the GameCube controller's nice smooth curves.

(Take 1 old renders)
More

New renders, taking suggestions into consideration!

So, I originally had these gray mods, but while working on it switched to the black. The reason was because I wanted to have gray WASD with the "controller" layout. If the mods are also gray, then they kind of combine with WASD and the effect is lost. This admittedly blind-sighted me a bit for how well the set looked without the controller layout, as that's what I was fixated on. Unsurprisingly, the controller layout has been the most popular.

The compromise in these new renders is simply no WASD cluster, and simply let the left mods represent the left side of the controller's directional controls. The green/red representation can be configured either as a traditional Enter/Esc, or as right-side Shift/Alt (with the Shift being larger than the Alt, just as how A is bigger than B) to mimic the controller. They're blank to increase layout compatibility and reduce the number of needed enumerations (this could also be solved by double-shotting "A", "B", etc legends, but that decision would likely be decided by the price difference). There could also be 1.25u / 1.5u / 1u green and yellow blanks for giving color representation in a more minimalistic way to smaller layouts.

The more I think about it, the more I think the controller keys should be in their own pack. I think this set in just gray/purple has the potential to be popular among people who don't necessarily have strong feelings/memories for the Gamecube, and omitting the controller pack from the main set will bring down the cost down, making it more accessible. The only problem if there are a lot of people who ONLY want the set if the controller pack runs... I suppose that can be a purchase option (kind of like how you can commit to purchasing at a MOQ price on Massdrop).

As always, thoughts/opinions appreciated :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 December 2018, 10:38:39 by booleanjulien »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] SA Cube
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 22:19:33 »
I just posted this on Reddit but I think I can more easily explain myself here.

I think this is a great concept and will get some great attention. That being said, For me personally, I think the dark mod colors throws it off for me. It seems like the mods would be the light grey for more of a cube theme. This is just my opinion as far as the theme goes. I generally prefer darker mod colors.

I really like the controller add-on pack, that makes it straight up Game Cube.

Looking at it as just a set, I love it!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 22:21:26 »
Love the purple. I agree the mods would probably be better looking as gray.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 22:21:34 »
White key + purple legend would do better than purple key + white legend to me.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 00:16:19 »
Also echoing grey mods instead of black a cents, opposite of what you have now.

Purple mods and grey alphas would look great too, but that may stray too far from the source. Might also invoke more SNES instead of gamecube feels.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 00:17:52 »
Love the purple. I agree the mods would probably be better looking as gray.
I agree on grey for the mods as well.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 02:20:16 »
Agree with mods statement. Grey with black text.
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 03:14:24 »
I thoroughly endorse Nintendo console themed Keysets. I also agree with getting rid of black from the set, and I'd say the orange (to represent the power light I'm guessing?) could also go. There's more than enough colours on the controller to get the theme across imo.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 09:23:40 »
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, new renders are up!

Offline Eldr1tch

Re: [IC] SA Cube (New renders)
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:29:22 »
I like the new renders, and I agree with a lot that has been said here in regards to the black mods. However I do feel that SOME black should be on it. Is that just me? Like maybe a black spacebar, enter, or backspace? Maybe a function set? No idea but when I think of the Gamecube one of the things that makes it stand out was that big black circle on top and that black handle on the back.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 11:13:40 »

The new renders look great. I like the look of the third one.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 20:55:28 »

The new renders look great. I like the look of the third one.
Beautiful set like Mike said!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 07:44:51 »
I really like the idea behind this set. For me, the Gamecube is still the greatest console ever made.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 08:56:46 »
I mentioned it on Reddit, but I think Taihao's cubic profile is more suited to the theme of this set than SA.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:30:19 »
This is fantastic !! love the new renders and love it that this is in SA, and hopefully done by SP (I personally do not mind the wait).

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:40:31 »
yea i'm into it
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:55:01 »
I mentioned it on Reddit, but I think Taihao's cubic profile is more suited to the theme of this set than SA.

I see what you're getting at here, but for me, despite the Gamecube being cubic, one of the greatest sources of enjoyment is from the smooth, almost voluptuous contours of the controller. Indeed, the seed of inspiration for this set was coming home from hours of playing Smash Bros Melee with a friend, to my SA keyboard, and thinking how interestingly analogous the two tactile experiences were. Resting your fingers on the scooped F/J home row, feeling how smooth they are, is like holding the controller. Even actuating my (modded) Box Royals reminded me of pressing down on the L+R triggers.

So, while a cubic profile for this set would be meme-y no doubt, I think SA resonates more with the Gamecube's true essence.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:12:20 by booleanjulien »

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:58:35 »
I like the new renders, and I agree with a lot that has been said here in regards to the black mods. However I do feel that SOME black should be on it. Is that just me? Like maybe a black spacebar, enter, or backspace? Maybe a function set? No idea but when I think of the Gamecube one of the things that makes it stand out was that big black circle on top and that black handle on the back.

I actually agree with you on this, but it seems this isn't popular opinion. I was toying with having the whole F-row black with gray legends, but I wasn't feeling it.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:12:02 »
So, I've been using this rendering service to create these renders out-of-pocket. Does anyone have any more cost effective suggestions? Is there anybody out there that would like to collaborate with me on this, render-wise?

I tried reaching out to SP a week ago, and they have yet to get back to me. I used their online form. Does anyone know if there's somebody I could email directly? If the timing is right, this might ship just in time for the Gamecube's 20th anniversary.

Besides that, it seems to me the next step would be to flesh out the sets to make this feel more real. Then figure out novelties. Let me know what you'd like to see on that front.

Offline Grindbox

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:25:53 »
Any chance for ergo support? :)
I like the change to white mods

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 12:47:41 »

I actually agree with you on this, but it seems this isn't popular opinion. I was toying with having the whole F-row black with gray legends, but I wasn't feeling it.

Maybe all those people only looked at their controllers and not the box itself ;)

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 21:55:52 »
any plans as to when you plan to go for a GB

Offline meidodoragon

• ren, they/them
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 03:10:48 »
I figure you are busy, but in the event that you do continue this project, I just wanted to add that it would be cool to have some black in the theme, like someone mentioned before. That way elements from both the console and controller are incorporated. And I haven't tried SA profile caps yet, but I think I'd prefer the non-uniform profile over uniform profile.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 23:21:41 »
Love the color combination.  :-* :-*

Offline Lepr3chaun

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 21:07:01 »
I see purple I buy.

Looks good. Like the idea of grey mods.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 11:58:48 »
I like the set will be in for the alphas atleast !
Not a big fan of the grey mods - I agree its better than the dark version and in keeping with the theme, but I'm wondering how good it would look on a board.

is the purple the same as the purple for SA Troubled Minds ?

Offline Juiceion

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 20:52:15 »

Maybe do F5-F8 black? Then it would sort of hold the top of the keyboard and be centered. Plus it sort of reminds me of the GameCube handle on the back.

Edit: This isn't perfect since I just modified it in photoshop super quick, it isn't a render. But something like this is what I was thinking

212956-0

For the novelties I think one with the signature bullseye that is on the left stick should definitely be one. Maybe use some stuff from iconic games like Luigi's Mansion, SSBM, Wind Waker, Pikmin, Paper Mario, etc...
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 16:22:58 by Juiceion »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 13:26:00 »
Would be sick to get a trans cap for the power light :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 13:29:02 »
honestly I would do the whole set in purple, use the light grey for accents on esc and return.  Then do color mod packs for arrow cluster or ctrl, os, alt.  One yellow, one red, one green
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 13:47:58 by pixelpusher »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 13:54:48 »
honestly I would do the whole set in purple, use the light grey for accents on esc and return.  Then do color mod packs for arrow cluster or ctrl, os, alt.  One yellow, one red, one green

nvrmind... i tried that and it looked stupid. 

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 14:53:53 »
Already set aside money for this. Absolutely stellar.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 03:02:46 »
I really like the purple - the nintendo colors are always fun !
However, the accents are a bit loud. Have you tried using the colors on the legends as opposed to the keys ?
the escape and are enter are fine, but the arrows, alt, or any other colored mods, maybe if the key colors were grey and the legend colors were yellow/green/red ?

Offline meidodoragon

• ren, they/them
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 11:59:33 »
I think the colors on the keys actually emulates the controller's appearance more closely, since the buttons are these big colored plastic pieces. The c-stick is entirely yellow, too. It's not a bad idea, but I think a purple key color would make more sense (unless you're doing a grey controller theme) as the base of the controller. That and I don't think yellow would look good or be very visible against light grey.
I think grey + red/green might look fine, as alternate modifiers, though. Definitely can let people choose a more subtle look over the bolder one of the entire key being red/green/yellow. I'd actually prefer the latter, so that's why I suggested having the two as alternatives to each other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 20:31:56 »
Hey guys, it's cool to see that this project has so much interest. I'm currently very busy with work for my job, but rest assured I haven't forgotten about this. There is, however, another project I haven't shared yet that, based on its reception, might put this on hold.

Something that these renders don't do well is show the black legends on the gray keys very well. I think on the real product that will suffice for black color representation.

Any ideas for novelties?

Offline meidodoragon

• ren, they/them
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 20:51:52 »
I have two ideas for the arrow keys:
1. grey arrow keys with just a simple triangle legend, like the D-pad on the controller.
2. Actually initially had the idea in #1 for the yellow keys, but when I googled a picture I realized the triangles I was thinking of were on the D-pad. But I think this may look better on the yellow keys than the normal arrow legends in the current renders.
An alternative to #2 could be just blank yellow keys? Or one of them (up or down) could have a darker yellow C legend, like the real stick. Maybe this will kind of give an embossed effect?

And I really hope you can find a way to have some black in the theme (and maybe at least one orange key!) as I really liked the initial renders. The grey works well, but I feel maybe there's too much in the second round? Just my personal opinion, though.

As for novelties, I saw some people already suggesting some (seemed to be along the line of major Nintendo games), e.g. Smash, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, etc. (Totally down for Wind Waker btw -- my first and favorite Zelda game. If that's possible.)

For the novelties I think one with the signature bullseye that is on the left stick should definitely be one. Maybe use some stuff from iconic games like Luigi's Mansion, SSBM, Wind Waker, Pikmin, Paper Mario, etc...

I agree with the left stick bullseye statement--seems like a good idea.

Anyways, really glad to see you respond again! :D This is one of the SA sets I'm really hoping comes to fruition.

As for the A, B, X, Y buttons -- maybe have keys that would go in those positions on your renders with matching legends ("A", "X", etc) instead of Enter, etc.
And while I'm at it, a button that says Start and/or Pause (both may be too long?) would be awesome, as well.
These are just suggestions, and wouldn't necessarily make/break it for me.

Offline bunanapeel

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:54:18 »
I would definitely buy this set.  I think having the grey/purple color scheme would be a good base set, then allow for us to buy the accent colors in a separate set.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 00:51:57 »
Keeping an eye on this set and where it’s heading for sure!

Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 17:15:03 »
Love this set! Please make it happennn

Offline mta

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 21:55:29 »
Would like to see this happen too

Offline jortzii

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 15:16:53 »
I think adding the WASD controller option and colored mod keys in a separate pack is a good idea. Call it the controller pack, so you can add that flair of you wish. Could be cool!

Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline bunanapeel

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 16:06:19 »
So is this set dead?  I was really looking forward to it.

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 16:14:05 »
So is this set dead?  I was really looking forward to it.
Same! I’m super interested in this set still, but this thread has been so quiet

Offline FatOldGuy

• SA4Lyfe
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 20:56:21 »
I could potentially throw my support behind this set.