Author Topic: Parallel circut Ergodox PCB to Pedal?>>>  (Read 11124 times)

Offline jaspergimes

Parallel circut Ergodox PCB to Pedal?>>>
« on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 10:31:32 »
I've got TMK on my Ergodox and I've got one key that's a layer modifier, and I'm wondering if I could offload that keypress (or hold) to a pedal for my foot. If I solder a wire to both sides of the keyswitch hole in the pcb, run that pair of wires out of the keyboard and to the ground where I can fashion a pedal out of scrap wood and something conductive, like aluminum foil maybe, then that should work right?

The keyswitch and the pedal would be in parallel so either would work, though they'd both have the same function.

It's not like I'm saving my self any effort, but it might be nice to have 2 full hands for 2nd layer keyboard work with neither having to hold anything down. Also it'd make me feel like a keyboard hotshot and that's pretty important!

I'll maybe mess around with the idea over break and let y'all know how it turns out. If anyone has any applicable experience or feedback, please share.

Offline ErgoMacros

Re: Parallel circut Ergodox PCB to Pedal?>>>
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 12:16:05 »
Hi,
That should work, with a couple caveats...

1. wood and tinfoil may have different "bounce"/settling times than your other keys. So it could cause missed or double taps.

2. if you have time and $ consider buying a "tattoo foot pedal" for the switch. (I haven't tried this, but they are inexpensive, <$10, and close to the ground.)

3. You may be able to program "sticky layers" into your keyboard, obviating the need for hardware switches. Would act like this:
  * Tap - switches layer to for next key
  * Double Tab - locks the layer until the next layer key tap releases the layer.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 14:04:50 by ErgoMacros »
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 13:06:07 »
I've found switching layers better than toggle layer..

But if you're set on the foot control,  maybe look for old used sewing machine pedals.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 15:28:00 »
Old sewing machine pedals are used to drive variable speeds, have too much mass and
resistance to be comfortable for the quick, short throw, binary switches that I think are
desired for layer switching. YMMV.

Here's a sample tattoo switch I was thinking of:
  https://www.amazon.com/FayOK-Tattoo-Switch-Compatible-Machine/dp/B07TX54KX6/ref=sr_1_21
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”