Author Topic: [IC] GSKT-00  (Read 79407 times)

Offline Zeelobby

Re: [IC] GSKT-00
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 05:55:38 »

Hmm. Never tried a half plate build. Not sure if I'd even like it lol. Wish I had one readily available to try out, but I'll probably just go full plate for not knowing any better, unless someone with more experience can convince me otherwise. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Could always get one of each, but I’d recommend everyone try at least one half plate and this is a great one.

Both may be the way to go. Haha. Guess I first have to be lucky enough to snag a case anyway.

Speaking of which, will this be mill-max compatible for hotswapping? Does hotswap work with a half plate? It's a beautiful case, I'd love to make it as endgame as possible. Lol

Offline weaston

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 06:32:42 »
Been dreaming of this for so long! Question about Alps at101 caps support, Brendan's build seems to show that it is being supported though it isn't shown in the supported layouts. Can you confirm that they are?  ;D

The layout support picture shows 7U bottom row with universal caps lock and standard ansi mods.  So yes it is supported.

What color is the pcb? I think Taeha has red pcb but couldn't find in the thread

They'll be either green or red, I might even be able to offer choice of color.

Both may be the way to go. Haha. Guess I first have to be lucky enough to snag a case anyway.

Speaking of which, will this be mill-max compatible for hotswapping? Does hotswap work with a half plate? It's a beautiful case, I'd love to make it as endgame as possible. Lol

Uhh I don't think so?  I have no expertise in mill-max or any hotswap for that matter.  I know we use the combo mx/alps switch footprint, so i imagine that would be difficult to solder the sockets into and I don't think we made the holes larger than usual or anything.  We also need the connection to be tight (and preferably soldered) or else the gasket could pull the switches up, so hotswap is kind of a no-go for this unfortunately.

Will there be HHKB/WKL-specific plates so that the extra holes do not show through on PC cases? 

Nope, any blockers would cover them anyway so having a separate plate for the cases is kind of unnecessary.  This buy is only offering 6063 Aluminum cases.  Any PC options outlined in the OP are for plates only.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 06:38:07 »
lead time?

Offline temp0321

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 06:48:21 »
Please have red pcb option, I fell in love with red pcb peaking through the half plate

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 07:02:22 »

Uhh I don't think so?  I have no expertise in mill-max or any hotswap for that matter.  I know we use the combo mx/alps switch footprint, so i imagine that would be difficult to solder the sockets into and I don't think we made the holes larger than usual or anything.  We also need the connection to be tight (and preferably soldered) or else the gasket could pull the switches up, so hotswap is kind of a no-go for this unfortunately.

Wow. A really good point. Didn't even think about it. Guess it'll have to be full endgame then. Haha.

I am dreaming of my perfect build now. Red aluminum. Red pcb. Some smooth linears. Silver case. Some classic caps. Man I hope I get in!

Offline Vireca

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 07:32:09 »
The price is 225 for kit or 225+plate+PCB?

I gotta ask... If you're interested in a product you'd like to purchase, why can't you read OP thoroughly? Writing a question like that takes about the same time as a quick scroll over OP (Pricing section is even highlighted!) or using "find" function and write "pricing", then just hit "Enter". Dude...

Sorry but I still can't fathom why people can't read simple things they're genuinely interested in.

Because I read 3 times and still I dont know if "case" means only a raw chunk of aluminum or the whole kit. Because the pcb and plate prices can be for extras too. You people have to understand other peorple can have questions and thats why there are ICs for this things and before I want to spend 300 bucks in a board i prefer to make things clear. Ah, also we are not all born in USA or UK, there are other countries and people with more or less knowledge of english

So before you rant about **** you can ask my quesiton quick and easy, or just stfu

Offline TexMech

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 07:44:07 »
The price is 225 for kit or 225+plate+PCB?

I gotta ask... If you're interested in a product you'd like to purchase, why can't you read OP thoroughly? Writing a question like that takes about the same time as a quick scroll over OP (Pricing section is even highlighted!) or using "find" function and write "pricing", then just hit "Enter". Dude...

Sorry but I still can't fathom why people can't read simple things they're genuinely interested in.

Because I read 3 times and still I dont know if "case" means only a raw chunk of aluminum or the whole kit. Because the pcb and plate prices can be for extras too. You people have to understand other peorple can have questions and thats why there are ICs for this things and before I want to spend 300 bucks in a board i prefer to make things clear. Ah, also we are not all born in USA or UK, there are other countries and people with more or less knowledge of english

So before you rant about **** you can ask my quesiton quick and easy, or just stfu

All components are priced separately, this is done to better inventory parts per order. Each case comes with 1 gasket and 1 sets of screws. Additional gaskets are $10 each and additional screws are $5 each.

Pricing

- Case: $225

- Plate: $25 Half - $30 Full

- Materials: Aluminum (Silver, Gray, Black, Red), Stainless Steel (Brushed), POM (black transparent, expect slight warping), Acrylic (Clear), Polycarbonate (Frosted)

- PCB: $25

- Shipping: $25 CONUS - $45 International

- Cerakote (any non-custom color): $50

Offline Degree

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 07:55:44 »
Very excited for this as I've always wanted one. Thinking of getting a full and a halfplate since I've never tried a half-plate.
Any suggestions on what material for each would be good? I've only had experience with brass, maybe aluminum fullplate and either polycarb/pom halfplate? What do you suggest weaston :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:15:57 by Degree »

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:03:40 »
I might get one just to compare it to the Polaris and keep the one I like more.

Offline adxlk

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:04:27 »
Very excited for this as I've always wanted one. Thinking of getting a full and a halfplate since I've never tried a half-plate.
Any suggestions on what material for each would be good? I've only had experience with brass, maybe aluminum fullplate and either polycarb/pom halfplate? What do you suggest weaston :)

Also for the cerakoting, sorry if I missed this somewhere, but will orders with cerakote be shipping later than stock or it will it be simultaneously done.

Cerakoting is an optional service that can be done as part of the GB. Please be ready to wait at least an additional 3 weeks of time after the initial ship date for this service to be complete and have units ready for shipping. Colors on a board will differ slightly from photos online, so please pick your color carefully. There will be no refunds or free re-coating if you do not like the color.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:11:48 »
Does anyone have a link to any good information on WKL vs HKKB vs ANSI. So far I've really only used ANSI layouts, but have always wanted to use a build of one of the others. I like the look of WKL, but feel like it still makes the CTL key a stretch (though I might reprogram that to caps lock anyway).

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:14:20 »
Been wanting one of these ever since I've seen one. Definitely in!

Offline Degree

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:35:34 »

Also for the cerakoting, sorry if I missed this somewhere, but will orders with cerakote be shipping later than stock or it will it be simultaneously done.

Cerakoting is an optional service that can be done as part of the GB. Please be ready to wait at least an additional 3 weeks of time after the initial ship date for this service to be complete and have units ready for shipping. Colors on a board will differ slightly from photos online, so please pick your color carefully. There will be no refunds or free re-coating if you do not like the color.

Yea I just saw that, didn't have my morning coffee yet. Thanks :)

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:37:28 »
Nice! Typing angle?

Offline MatthewPham

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:38:03 »
Does anyone have a link to any good information on WKL vs HKKB vs ANSI. So far I've really only used ANSI layouts, but have always wanted to use a build of one of the others. I like the look of WKL, but feel like it still makes the CTL key a stretch (though I might reprogram that to caps lock anyway).

I mean ansi isn't mutually exclusive with wkl and hhkb but I'm not dim enough to not understand what you meant

layouts a layout, no one can really tell you what youll like other than you

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:42:06 »

I mean ansi isn't mutually exclusive with wkl and hhkb but I'm not dim enough to not understand what you meant

Yeah, wasn't really looking for a definitive answers, just peoples general opinions. Or pros/cons. I do occasionally use the cmd/windows key, so I'm trying to decide if i can live without it. And would be curious if anyone feels the closer grouped HHKB bottom row is easier on the reach, then the spread WKL. Was just curious.

Offline weaston

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:43:34 »
Cool to see this one have a public run! What's the front height?

Just barely over 20, like 20.24 or something, don't remember off top.  Needed the space for the gasketing.

Nice! Typing angle?

It's either 5 or a touch over 5.  We'll just call it 5.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline MatthewPham

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:44:11 »

Yeah, wasn't really looking for a definitive answers, just peoples general opinions. Or pros/cons. I do occasionally use the cmd/windows key, so I'm trying to decide if i can live without it. And would be curious if anyone feels the closer grouped HHKB bottom row is easier on the reach, then the spread WKL. Was just curious.

if you don't need right alt then you can rebind it to super, but if your language needs right alt you could always rebind it to something else.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:44:43 »
Count me in for one! I love the look of the WKL models & think this case would make a perfect home for my batch of SKCM browns & SGI Granite caps!

Offline adxlk

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:48:31 »

WKL and HHKB dictates the bottom row of the keyboard. So both of these can technically be ANSI Layout.

The two main category are ISO and ANSI. Refer to pics below;

ISO: https://imgur.com/syu4pxS
ANSI: https://imgur.com/J7HK9hk

Then the sub-categories are WKL, WK and HHKB: https://i.imgur.com/J5RbnrI.jpg

And yes, GSKT will support both version.
Refer to this picture for plate options available for the board: https://imgur.com/EOKJgPK

So your options are:
ISO with WKL
ISO with HHKB
ISO with WK (means winkey, no blockers on the bottom row)

ANSI with WKL
ANSI with HHKB
ANSI with WK (means winkey, no blockers on the bottom row)

6 options, none is better than the other. All is preference.

You can still do WKL with swapped CapsLock and LeftCtrl. Personally I find it better. Easier to reach.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:53:02 by adxlk »

Offline cdhoffmann

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:49:06 »
Omg....so stoked for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:50:55 »

if you don't need right alt then you can rebind it to super, but if your language needs right alt you could always rebind it to something else.

WKL is not spread more than a normal bottom row. I'd argue that WKL is spread less because your ctrl key gains in width, allowing the center of the key to be closer. I've used HHKB and reaching for the 1u key is more troublesome with my resting position on the keyboard. I personally will go for WKL with blockers since I have ctrl on caps lock. Bottom row will be Win, Alt, Space, Right Alt, **** all.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:58:02 »

WKL and HHKB dictates the bottom row of the keyboard. So both of these can technically be ANSI Layout.

The two main category are ISO and ANSI. Refer to pics below;

ISO: https://imgur.com/syu4pxS
ANSI: https://imgur.com/J7HK9hk

Then the sub-categories are WKL, WK and HHKB: https://i.imgur.com/J5RbnrI.jpg

And yes, GSKT will support both version.
Refer to this picture for plate options available for the board: https://imgur.com/EOKJgPK

So your options are:
ISO with WKL
ISO with HHKB
ISO with WK (means winkey, no blockers on the bottom row)

ANSI with WKL
ANSI with HHKB
ANSI with WK (means winkey, no blockers on the bottom row)

6 options, none is better than the other. All is preference.

You can still do WKL with swapped CapsLock and LeftCtrl. Personally I find it better. Easier to reach.

Thank you for the clarification! I have clearly rarely strayed from the noob path, haha.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:00:47 »
WKL is not spread more than a normal bottom row. I'd argue that WKL is spread less because your ctrl key gains in width, allowing the center of the key to be closer. I've used HHKB and reaching for the 1u key is more troublesome with my resting position on the keyboard. I personally will go for WKL with blockers since I have ctrl on caps lock. Bottom row will be Win, Alt, Space, Right Alt, **** all.

Damn, I like the sound of that setup. That may have to be what I go with.

Offline caronte0

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:05:07 »
I'm really interested although i know is going to be hard to get one.
For building it alps i guess that the plate will have to be custom (laser cut), right?. Also just to be sure, is any 60% alps board (with the connector mini usb or usb c) compatible?
Sorry if i'm making obvious questions i'm pretty much new to the hobbie.
The case looks stunning, congrats :)

Offline Woahder

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:13:31 »
In for this. Hope I could get one  :D

Offline weaston

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:18:01 »
I'm really interested although i know is going to be hard to get one.
For building it alps i guess that the plate will have to be custom (laser cut), right?. Also just to be sure, is any 60% alps board (with the connector mini usb or usb c) compatible?
Sorry if i'm making obvious questions i'm pretty much new to the hobbie.
The case looks stunning, congrats :)

All the plates and pcbs are custom for this board, you can't use a build from another.  Some plates are lasered some are milled, depends on the material.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:18:34 »
Definitely going to try and get my hands on at least a WKL one. Very exciting to see another round start. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:55:28 »
Very nice, GL!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 10:30:06 »

I'll never understand either. I guess it might be language barrier in some cases, but surely not all - people are weird, they probably just don't like reading.

Offline hq

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 11:27:30 »
any chance you might make a 65% version in the near immediate future?  :thumb:

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 11:57:11 »
any chance you might make a 65% version in the near immediate future:thumb:

Weaston hasn't even started the 60% GB yet.

Your chances of being a 65% soon would be slim I would guess.

Offline yui_

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:47:34 »
i need this.

Offline Ryanticz

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 13:31:09 »
Absolutely in for atleast one of these. Been eyeing it forever. A black and a white cerakote one would be awesome.

Offline skrunk

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 13:33:43 »
Wow, super excited for this GB! Never thought the board would have a public GB!
Past Keyboards : LZ CLS, Unikorn, Noxary X65, KFE CE, HHKB Pro2, Realforce TKL

Current Keyboards: FC660C, HHKB Pro1, GSKT-00

Offline Ld1993

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 14:12:32 »
Holy shmokes

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 14:41:37 »
Weaston,

Is there any chance of you considering USB-C instead of Mini-B for the PCB?

Offline noorejji

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:25:59 »
Any recommendations on plate material and wether to use half or full for this case? I'm mostly interested in a deep and muted sound. I've never tried half-plate or PC/POM/acrylic, so I don't know how I'll like the flex. I plan to use tactile switches.
From my personal experience, I find that half plate mount provides for a more softer bottom out with a softer sound. I think that it's somewhat dependent on the material of the half plate that you're using as well. With an aluminum half plate, it might still be firm, but with the aforementioned softer bottom out and some flex. Granted, I haven't tried a GSKT-00 yet, so please take this with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Sorry if this is off topic but is there any consensus on the longevity of PC, POM and acrylic - compared to aluminum and stainless steel? Also does it make sense to use a stainless steel half-plate? Most people seem to go with aluminum or some sort of plastic.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:26:18 »
In for a Copper Suede cerakote If I can get a board, was looking for a 60 percent for work and looks like I found it!!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:28:12 »
honestly puddsy ligma

Offline zekth

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:47:23 »
Weaston,

+1 would be great!

Offline weaston

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:55:58 »
Weaston,

+1 would be great!

Sorry, it'll stay as Mini B.  We aren't using any features that USB C would be helpful for.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:00:47 »
Yeah. I feel like usb-c is more desired for convenience then anything else. I'm fine with either.

Offline zekth

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:08:58 »
It's only because usb-c is more common nowadays not because there is new needed features

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:19:05 »
It's not necessarily about features, but the fact that the Mini standard has been deprecated since 2007 at this point and the industry is moving forward with USB-C. Furthermore, outside of custom cables, good Mini cables have become hard to find in certain places; something that will not be getting any better... It's a bit of a shame to go with Mini in 2020 in my opinion if I'm being honest.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:21:55 by _PixelNinja »

Offline Puree

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 16:24:11 »
usb whatever, i am in for one !

It is nice to see this in a public gb  :thumb:

Thanks

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 17:03:49 »
Bit sad about not being able to use my Lindy cable. Fit everything so far for the past 6 years! I guess I gotta find another solution now that I am getting some USB-C keyboards in anyway.

Offline MkLovin

• pwned by dit
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 17:04:47 »
When I finished my build and started typing on the board, I had an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.  Doctors hate this keyboard.  You'll love it though.
Mick Lovin is my favorite singer in the Rolling Stones

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 17:06:50 »
FINALLY. Pretty excited for this.

Offline weaston

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 17:32:48 »
I realized I hadn't shared any examples of Cerakote finish or talked about it much so here is a bit of an update on that front.

Cerakote feels much more matte and "textured" than anodization, for those unfamiliar with it.  The feeling and finish will actually change based on the color and the lighter you go typically the smoother and more watery it can feel.  White tends to be almost glossy and black is oppressively matte, that's the best explanation I can give there.

I am not necessarily recommending you cerakote, but just wanted to give some options to you all.  While the cerakote that my guy does is very very good, I still personally prefer the feel and shine of ano.  Some people like the color range that cerakote offers and the extra protection.  It is all preference.

Here is an album of a 00 that had the bottom coated in a custom made color (not offering custom colors as part of the group buy) and the top coated in Sniper Gray.  There is a side by side with an anodized board and there is also an example with a beige dye sub pbt keycap so you can get some more context.  You'll be able to see just how different two colors/finishes can be: https://imgur.com/a/L2Psuxs

Will attach an image below for the sake of being able to reference this quickly.

My cerakoter said to check out some of the newer colors that just came out like Mojito, Polar Blue and Tequila Sunrise, he thought those were nice irl ;)